ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis is trying to use Devin Booker’s development as a pitch to Duren!

Cards-baby

Gold Member
May 22, 2009
JULY 11, 2021

Jalen Duren updates recruitment following top-5 reveal​

1233327100-1200x1200.jpg

Share Zagsblog
Share Zagsblog
By RICH FLANAGAN

LANCASTER COUNTY, Pa.
— June was a very busy and intensive month for Jalen Duren. The 6-foot-10 big man out of Montverde Academy and one of the top two players in the Class of 2022 went on several visits starting with Miami (Fla.) on June 13.

Duren has the option of reclassifying to 2021 at the end of the summer, and ZAGSBLOG has reported he is expected to go that route.

With head coach Jim Larrañaga and assistant coach DJ Irvinglooking on, Duren posted four points and 12 rebounds in Team Final’s 63-48 victory over Crown Basketball at the Hoop Group Summer Jam Fest at Spooky Nook Sports on Saturday. Duren has developed a great rapport with Larranga’s staff, especially now with one of his former coaches from Roman Catholic (Pa.) in Irving having come on in April.

“I’ve been building a relationship with them over the last few years,” Duren said. “They offered me during my sophomore year and became one of my first couple offers. Honestly, it’s all love over there. They have a great program with a lot of older guys, which is great for college basketball, and a great system. It would be a great opportunity for me.”

During the nightcap, Memphis head coach Penny Hardaway and new assistant Larry Brown, who was hired on July 8, as well as Kentucky head coach John Calipari watched the talented forward and Team Final cruise to a 63-39 win over Jersey Force. Duren visited Memphis on June 23 and the addition of Brown is making the allure of the Tigers program even more enticing.

“The pro experience they have in Penny Hardaway and Larry Brown is tremendous,” Duren said. “Also, Cody Toppert helped develop Devin Booker as an assistant coach. Coach Brown is a Hall of Fame coach and the pro experience is a huge factor. I like what they have over there. Since Penny came over, they’ve been building and they’re on the rise.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News