HICATFAN

All-SEC
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Kailua, Hawaii
tenor.gif

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

AlohaCat

Deepest thanks to all those that gave their lives in name of freedom. May they always be remembered for their ultimate sacrifice.

God Bless America and all those that believe in it that we are the greatest nation around the world. It wasn’t for free!

"My Dear Mother, I am about to go into battle and have instructed the company clerk to send you this letter in case I become a casualty, hence, the receipt of this letter by you will indicate that I am either with God or a prisoner. Since I will never become a prisoner of the Hun if I remain conscious and able to fight, it is doubtful if I will ever be an inmate in a German prison camp.

Do not grieve that I am among the missing, but rejoice that you have given a son in sacrifice to make the greatest military caste of all time lay down the sword; to save civilization, and to make the world safe for democracy.

I desire that you view the matter in the light and spirit of the Spartan mothers of old, who, when their sons went forth to battle for freedom and their native land, said to their sons: 'Either come home proudly bearing your shield before you or upon it.'

War was absolutely necessary on the part of my country, and although I was 34 years old and nobody expected me to go, yet someone had to go. Some must make the sacrifice, some mother must lose her son.

In the light of these facts, and knowing our country's great need, I volunteered and have never for one moment regretted my decision, and I will not. Life is not the highest boon of existence. There are ideals that are superhuman, interests greater than life itself, for which it is worth fighting, suffering, and dying.

If possible after the war, I would like for my remains to be brought to America and interred at White Hall. I have provided well for your support, as I have a $10,000 insurance policy with the government. Good-bye mother. I will see you in the next world. You may know I died fighting for you, my country, and all that life holds dear. Your Son, Adrian" - Lt. Adrian C. Edwards, AEF, May 1918, France.

Lt. Edwards was killed soon after writing this letter to his mother... thank you to all who have served, and especially all who have paid the ultimate sacrifice in defense of our nation!

Thank you to my father-in-law for living in hell in earth for four tours in the jungles of Vietnam so that I could soon be lucky to know his sacrifice.

Thank you to my friend Tony's big brother. He was the only kid from our neighborhood who volunteered to go fight in a desert, and the first kid I knew who died for our country. He's a hero.

Thank you to my uncle Larry, who fought hard in the same jungles as my father-in-law; and who lived the rest of his life the best he could.

Thanks to my wife's grandfather, who earned medals of honor in Europe in WWII, jumping into hostile territory with his brothers to fight an enemy he volumteered to conquer. The Greatest Generation.

Thanks to all who have served, or still serve, and especially to those who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

9R9P1Q6.jpg

Remembering my first cousin, once removed who graduated from West Point in 1944 and was sent to England to prepare for the Normandy Invasion as an Infantry Officer. He survived the invasion but was killed about a month later by Germans, July 5, 1944. He is buried at Arlington Cemetery. He now RIP next to his father and mother who are both buried there. His father was a full bird Colonel on the Staff of Eisenhower and helped draw up the battle plans. Plans that led to victory but at a high cost with the loss of his oldest son.

My grandfather served in the Korean war.
My dad served in Vietnam when his gun truck was struck with an explosive he was thrown out and hit with shrapnel, he turned down a purple heart so he could stay an fight to make sure they couldn't send my uncle.
My brother served in Iraq, he enlisted after 9/11.
My uncle Daniel Abney was killed in Vietnam.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT