ADVERTISEMENT

McNeeley to UConn

Give Pope a couple of seasons. I'm confident he will be killing it soon. He's young, energetic, smart, and loves what he does. That's enough for now. The payoff is around the corner.
Yes. I definite think this will be a 3 year build. That is assuming we have some success next year. He is an unknown (like everyone is at some point) and needs to prove his system- and his coaching- will lead to great things. I am behind him for sure. Just a little concerned about his resume.

• Haha
Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
Yeah man with all due respect it’s not. Do you honestly think the coaches at schools finishing in the bottom half of their conference aren’t good coaches? Muss goes to back to back Elite 8’s and a sweet sixteen, this year we miss the dance. Why? Because we didn’t have the horses to compete. Regardless who the coach is, if you don’t have the talent you aren’t going to win consistently. Muss didn’t forget how to coach last year…Tubby didn’t…Nolan Richardson didn’t…on and on.

You know how many 5 star players there was on the court for the national Championship game between Uconn & Purdue. One. Castleton. The rest were all 4 and 3 star players out of high school. But they stuck around and developed and matured under good coaches. Edey: 3 star out of high school. Clingan: 4 star out of high school.

Two weeks, two portal commitments, only one we might call "top tier".

And then today he goes all the way to Vegas to get essentially an average dude.

Better pick it up, or the natives will start getting loud(er).
add you to the ridiculous list

Reactions: cathouse
How many Studs did Cal pull out of the portal. 4-5 stars and 1 victory in tournament in how many years? Give him a chance before criticizing him.
Wall
Cuz
Bledsoe

Kept Orton
Patterson stayed

And I’m not a cal fan…just this knee jerk drop to Pope was stupid by Mitch

• Haha
Reactions: Ron Mehico
Two weeks, two portal commitments, only one we might call "top tier".

And then today he goes all the way to Vegas to get essentially an average dude.

Better pick it up, or the natives will start getting loud(er).
2 things to this….
1) How do we know if the guy that they locked up is the only reason they went to Vegas? Not everything is going to be made public.
2) The guy they locked up will have the most Championship experience any player has had at UK since 2014. So he brings tournament experience we so badly need to help bring his teammates along.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
So what if he can't shoot 3's or free throws.That's not important for guards.
He might not have to be a knockdown shooter. Pope was never gonna get 10 guys who are all 40 percent 3 point shooters and the offense isn’t gonna be the same as it was at byu

Yep.But it's okay because we are supposed to be happy with mediocre players.
Pretty much. Lots of people downplaying expectations. Pretty sure someone on KsR said a 20 win season would be successful.

Pope is the 5th highest paid coach in the country. Gotta get guys like this if you want to earn it!

Reactions: track42
It’s important for guards until Pope gets one that can’t do it. Then it doesn’t matter anymore. Remember when people complained about Wheeler not being able to shoot? What did we hear from this board? “You need a PG that can shoot in todays game”.

He's a proven experienced winner. He's not a freshman that plays with the deer in the headlights look.
Your going to be very pleased with us getting Butler. Right now forget about high school recruit rankings or winning top ranked classes that ended up doing much of nothing but going to the draft.
This is a really good addition for Pope.

He might not have to be a knockdown shooter. Pope was never gonna get 10 guys who are all 40 percent 3 point shooters and the offense isn’t gonna be the same as it was at byu
Can he get one good shooter?tp has never played and Colin hasn't played in 2 year.

It’s important for guards until Pope gets one that can’t do it. Then it doesn’t matter anymore. Remember when people complained about Wheeler not being able to shoot? What did we hear from this board? “You need a PG that can shoot in todays game”.
They are totally moving the goal posts.Reminds me of Cal fans in the end.

Great decision best Coach going right now probably be another Cam Spencer who was my favorite player to watch last year

Let's just let it play out. We don't know who else will enter before the deadline.
Alot of moving parts happening behind closed doors.
We got 4...9 to go
Heading towards a middle of the pack roster. The honeymoon period will be short with Pope if we only win 15 games next year. BBN doesn't do well with lowering expectations...

Heading towards a middle of the pack roster. The honeymoon period will be short with Pope if we only win 15 games next year. BBN doesn't do well with lowering expectations...
Whose lowering expectations?
I'm certainly not.
He's building the roster and I like what he's doing.
My advice is to chill and relax and let's see how this plays out. I think BBN is going to be pleased when all is said and done.
Forget rumors or Twitter or who said this and who said that.
We are going to be fine.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Good shooters are still left in the portal people are so miserable on this board. Ultimate pessimists. Track you continue to be negative you know you want to sowee your butt down and be a hog fan
THat is just so lame.Everyone here should know I was never a Cal fan.It's got so you can't even comment on a player Pope is recruiting without being called names.

Whose lowering expectations?
I'm certainly not.
He's building the roster and I like what he's doing.
My advice is to chill and relax and let's see how this plays out. I think BBN is going to be pleased when all is said and done.
Forget rumors or Twitter or who said this and who said that.
We are going to be fine.
What gives you reason to maintain UK expectations? Bc we hired a UK guy? I was excited like everyone else at this press conference but I've not seen anything out of MP that would cause me to do anything but lower my expectations for next year. Which I think is totally fair, just not something I think the fanbase as a whole does well. MP needs time. Hope we give it to him.

THat is just so lame.Everyone here should know I was never a Cal fan.It's got so you can't even comment on a player Pope is recruiting without being called names.
no its just you constantly are negative. have you said one positive thing since Pope got hired. So exhausting....

What gives you reason to maintain UK expectations? Bc we hired a UK guy? I was excited like everyone else at this press conference but I've not seen anything out of MP that would cause me to do anything but lower my expectations for next year. Which I think is totally fair, just not something I think the fanbase as a whole does well. MP needs time. Hope we give it to him.
I'm supporting Mark Pope. I like how he is building this roster for next season. The cupboard was bare and he knew that. He's working his ass off to get the right players on his first roster here at UK and those players not only have to be able to score but play defense and be team players and have a winning mentality...so far he's checking those boxes.
We are going to be pleased with our roster for the 2024-25 season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT