ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones Update

I’ll say this about our recruiting what Cal would say about shooters: “You don’t have to make them all but you can’t miss them all”.

Reactions: BigTyrone
Idk what UK total NIL is, but 1.5m (Roach was asking) seems a lot for one player when you still have to pay to fill an entire roster. The whole thing is just nuts right now. All these guys are just playing these schools against each other.
There's no way Roach got $1.5M unless Baylor has an NIL war chest of $20M. Agents lie about Professional contracts to make them more appealing to future clients so when you see "This player signs for $250M....." and then read the terms and it's a 4 yr deal worth $40M with incentives if he reaches them to get that--why wouldn't it be the same with NIL $ and dumb down on the CBB scale?

As sickened by NIL era as most fans are-this was going on all the time but just under the table and a lot of these guys are now having to pay taxes where the other $ was under the table. So they are actually losing $ now compared to the the old days.

This is an excuse and made up by Jones regarding Roach-every piece of that info is inaccurate and a lie.

@ralphdaltonfan this one is a St. John’s lock correct
St. John's is perceived to be the leader--for those with HOB--trust what Travis Graf says about this player-he knows his camp well and has accurate information.

Richmond is a very talented guy--ball dominant but tough. I wasn't his biggest fan until seeing him this year and loved how he willed that Seton Hall team to an NIT title in tough environment. Just exudes toughness.

He was going to sit out mid year due to NIL dispute at Seton Hall but stayed on and led them.

Kentucky getting involved--hope it goes somewhere.

St. John's is perceived to be the leader--for those with HOB--trust what Travis Graf says about this player-he knows his camp well and has accurate information.

Richmond is a very talented guy--ball dominant but tough. I wasn't his biggest fan until seeing him this year and loved how he willed that Seton Hall team to an NIT title in tough environment. Just exudes toughness.

He was going to sit out mid year due to NIL dispute at Seton Hall but stayed on and led them.

Kentucky getting involved--hope it goes somewhere.
Richmond, with Robinson, wells(favorite player in the portal hope Kentucky gets him) and a good 2 guard would be fun

So the program got $4M added to NIL after his hire added to a larger pool financially (this is all from Jones/KSR btw) then anything Cal had and they can't afford to contend with Baylor for a PG in the Portal? I call BULL****

Roach was rumored to be going in the Portal for some time too. This didn't take Duke by surprise. My boss is the biggest Duke fan I know and told me in March that Roach was likely going to the Portal so Duke fans knew of this/expected it but "Kentucky's involvement" was hush hush.

FOH--anyone paying for that type of BS content is a sucker.
Couldn't or WOULDN"T try and compete with Baylor ? I do not think anybody said UK couldn't. Also, what if when Baylor upped their ante, he didn't commit on the spot ? You are making a lot of assumptions and then calling someone else out for saying what they know / was told happened. Unless you have proof that the story didn't happen like it was said, you are doing worse than who is reporting. you are a well respected poster, but,,,

I'll say this, from the get-go there were a couple recruits that Pop/staff wanted to keep hush-hush, for whatever reason. That was the case BEFORE any names came out. Speculation it was because they weren't officially in the portal yet, but also could've been due to NIL issues as well.

But you're right, hard to think that UK can't compete with Baylor for NIL payments, unless Roach was demanding something absolutely absurd that UK didn't feel good about.
Maybe I'm wrong here, but I think the focus needs to be on changing the culture here rather than worrying about recruiting classes. Those demanding the most NIL are not likey to be interested in playing for the name on the front of the jersey. They're likely to continue with the culture that we were all sick of. I think Pope is worrying about "fit" this year, and then things settle down with the new system, he'll try and get a star or two.

Exactly why many were unimpressed with this hire. Xs & Os are great and all, but without the Jimmy's and Jo's, it doesn't matter. I'm 100% behind Pope, but.... nothing in his background proves that he can land talent at the level needed to win here.
I have to say I am worried about the same thing. People are pointint to every reason why this isn't the case but I think when the hire happened we ALL immediately thought this very thought. We will see how it all plays out. I fully support him also.

Reactions: RunninRichie
There's no way Roach got $1.5M unless Baylor has an NIL war chest of $20M. Agents lie about Professional contracts to make them more appealing to future clients so when you see "This player signs for $250M....." and then read the terms and it's a 4 yr deal worth $40M with incentives if he reaches them to get that--why wouldn't it be the same with NIL $ and dumb down on the CBB scale?

As sickened by NIL era as most fans are-this was going on all the time but just under the table and a lot of these guys are now having to pay taxes where the other $ was under the table. So they are actually losing $ now compared to the the old days.

This is an excuse and made up by Jones regarding Roach-every piece of that info is inaccurate and a lie.

I didn’t get the number from Jones. Several CBB sites were reporting that was his asking price. Did Jones originate the rumor spread of that number? Idk and frankly, couldn’t care less. The issue is no one knows what any of these guys are getting, asking for, or using as negotiations against other schools.

At least with the NBA, this stuff is public so there can be fair agreements, terms, and negotiations according to the market.

If you’re UK, and Roach says X school is offering 1.5m so top it, you just have to trust all these guys are being honest which is doubtful which means you either pony up the cash or call their bluff.

Reactions: gobigblue812
Maybe I'm wrong here, but I think the focus needs to be on changing the culture here rather than worrying about recruiting classes. Those demanding the most NIL are not likey to be interested in playing for the name on the front of the jersey. They're likely to continue with the culture that we were all sick of. I think Pope is worrying about "fit" this year, and then things settle down with the new system, he'll try and get a star or two.
Needs to be a culture change for sure I agree but that doesn't mean we should be done attempting to bring in the best talent we can.

I didn’t get the number from Jones. Several CBB sites were reporting that was his asking price. Did Jones originate the rumor spread of that number? Idk and frankly, couldn’t care less. The issue is no one knows what any of these guys are getting, asking for, or using as negotiations against other schools.

At least with the NBA, this stuff is public so there can be fair agreements, terms, and negotiations according to the market.

If you’re UK, and Roach says X school is offering 1.5m so top it, you just have to trust all these guys are being honest which is doubtful which means you either pony up the cash or call their bluff.
I listened to the show and he never said a players name , Roach or otherwise. My guess was Storr, but that’s just a guess, I wouldn’t present my guess as fact, which is apparently what LXWildcat did.

Reactions: BigTyrone
The days of guys playing for the name on the front are over has been for years.

You are dead on about the rest though. The key is identifying the right guys. Hurley has shown the world the modern blueprint for winning. If Pope can follow that model he will be fine. Hurley had more pro's on his last 2 teams than Cal but it was the right guys.

Our culture is winning so that should be the focus. You can’t tell me that one significant player in the portal wants to be here solely for the”name on the front of the jersey” That’s being naive.

Couldn't or WOULDN"T try and compete with Baylor ? I do not think anybody said UK couldn't. Also, what if when Baylor upped their ante, he didn't commit on the spot ? You are making a lot of assumptions and then calling someone else out for saying what they know / was told happened. Unless you have proof that the story didn't happen like it was said, you are doing worse than who is reporting. you are a well respected poster, but,,,
Agree with some of your statement 100%. Where I have an issue is this "once Kentucky got involved" and they wanted it "quiet" is total BS. You either are an elite program or you aren't. Elite programs who want a player don't have to back out on a recruit. If they had interest and decided to not go after someone-that's normal/fine. But the way that people here are saying Jones is spinning the report that Roach was a guy Kentucky wanted their interest quiet--give me a break. Every team in the country knew Roach was going in the portal if my HS basketball boss who is from MN and is a fan of Duke knew of this just by simply being a fan. What's the secret? What's so hush/hush?

You have a payroll--you want players? Better know going in what it'll cost and if you are willing to do what it takes to get them. This week alone we've heard from Jones:

Arkansas is waiting to see who UK offers and then will offer double-that's an outright lie. Completely fabricated. If it was stated "There's a player....." that's different but no coach would operate like that and waste time like that. It's just so BS to even bring that up.

Now Roach was someone they lost because they wanted their interest quiet. It's Jeremy Roach a high profile player from Duke-you are going to hear things about his recruitment and who he hears from, etc....because of that alone but Kentucky wanted to be quiet? Unreal.

Problem with media guys is they talk for a living and "forget" what they said. Several things this week have had holes shot through them regarding what has been said of the program.

I am just glad Pope has his Staff together and they can work and they'll get a very good roster together. They also aren't making excuses. They are working.

But this crap/excuse making is laughable. Cal needed to go. It was time. But you move on. These guys have a personal thing with him going on and it's ****ing weird. He's gone. Let it go. Not everyone who says they've heard from UK is someone the staff has a top priority which is the point you made I agree with. But Jones seems to be making it like he has to "win" over Cal and that Pope being open minded and new is enough to make him defend any/everything about the new program when the new coach just got his staff. This isn't a microwave process, it's more important to get things right as a team built properly then winning headlines that media guy promised or leaked to help make himself/people he's friends with $.

Missing Smith would be another major blow. He put up insane numbers towards the end of the year.

Smfh.
I like Smith but it's not a blow--until you can't replace him. There's thousands of options out there. How the roster ends up will tell us if we can revisit this-but sure seemed like they wanted him with the reports of him taking an OV, his camp was set to come check out UK, etc....so something came up and just have to hope it's a better player who fits their vision.

We’ve lost some football transfers over the last few years because of “transcripts “ . What the hell ? It’s not like we’ve some high academic school.
I disagree. UK is a much more selective school and more prestigious one than when I attended in the 1970's. Many high school graduates in Kentucky find they can't get into UK and have to settle for another state university. I believe all of the SEC member institutions that are not already members of the Association of American Universities are striving to get to that level of academic excellence. SEC members of the AAU are Vanderbilt, Florida, Texas, Texas A&M, and Missouri. In the Big 10, by contrast, every member is also a member of the AAU except for Nebraska.

Reactions: yoshukai
So the program got $4M added to NIL after his hire added to a larger pool financially (this is all from Jones/KSR btw) then anything Cal had and they can't afford to contend with Baylor for a PG in the Portal? I call BULL****

Roach was rumored to be going in the Portal for some time too. This didn't take Duke by surprise. My boss is the biggest Duke fan I know and told me in March that Roach was likely going to the Portal so Duke fans knew of this/expected it but "Kentucky's involvement" was hush hush.

FOH--anyone paying for that type of BS content is a sucker.

The $4 million came straight from Mitch Barnhart’s mouth. He says it a little past the ten minute mark. He never said anything about Roach today.

I like Smith but it's not a blow--until you can't replace him. There's thousands of options out there. How the roster ends up will tell us if we can revisit this-but sure seemed like they wanted him with the reports of him taking an OV, his camp was set to come check out UK, etc....so something came up and just have to hope it's a better player who fits their vision.
The reason I say it’s a major blow is because the number of difference makers at PG in the portal isn’t that high. Plus we are only in on just a couple. That’s the position Pope can’t miss on. Already missed on Roach, and now Smith seems to be a miss. That leaves Small as the last potential difference maker at PG and it doesn’t sound like we lead for him. We will probably end up with someone like Mahaney or Elijah Hawkins who is Sahvir Wheeler part 2.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Since the news of Cal's departure and the hiring of Pope, I have been listening to KSR podcast about every day.

MJ and his cronies are about as knowledgeable as stumps. I should of caught on when they were praising him for getting a round of applause when he stood to ask Pope a question.

His insight is about as reliable as gas station bathroom toilet paper. He was going on about a reds baseball player sucking, the next day the kid went 3 of 4. It's like he just says stuff to fill time.

And whatever you do, don't disagree with him or call him out. He plays god with those phone lines.

The reason I say it’s a major blow is because the number of difference makers at PG in the portal isn’t that high. Plus we are only in on just a couple. That’s the position Pope can’t miss on. Already missed on Roach, and now Smith seems to be a miss. That leaves Small as the last potential difference maker at PG and it doesn’t sound like we lead for him. We will probably end up with someone like Mahaney or Elijah Hawkins who is Sahvir Wheeler part 2.
Mahaney isn't a PG either. He's an off ball player who can handle but he's not proven to be a guy who runs the team/offense.

Pope's system doesn't really rely on a true PG but I think it's something he needs to adjust within his system as he plays at the higher level. He did well in Big XII this past year, but think you need a quicker/more traditional guard to defend opposing teams and create buckets for you. Doesn't have to look similar to anyone but you need a guy who can do that role.

Hawkins is Wheeler 2.0 height wise but more mature human being. I'd be looking for better players but if he's what you need to get--then hope for the best.

I have to think the slow movement on transfers or other recruits is due to Pope making sure the fit is right rather than just signing the first 13 that say they are interested in playing here. I hope that's what it is rather than having trouble finding people to come here, it has to be the former. When players see the banners, the Craft center and locker rooms they have to be impressed. I expect a few to commit this weekend.
As much as some want to think, the coaching staff is going to do their best and they won't be asking for outside help other than other coaches.

Reactions: NociHTTP

The $4 million came straight from Mitch Barnhart’s mouth. He says it a little past the ten minute mark. He never said anything about Roach today.
Roach is who he's talking about regarding the player they didn't want it public they were recruiting.

Apologize for linking that to Jones then-it was the jackass AD who spouted off. I'm openly biased against Barnhart so that is my fault for attributing that to Jones. Should've known it was Mitch trying to look cool for making his hire.

Reactions: Warf2012
Our culture is winning so that should be the focus. You can’t tell me that one significant player in the portal wants to be here solely for the”name on the front of the jersey” That’s being naive.
Wrong. Our culture has NOT been winning, and it's been going on for years. Mark is trying to clean it up. You can have a coach who inspires guys to want to play for the name on the front of the jersey. Yes, they want to go to the pros, but think about it for a moment as to why these guys are coming back after their freshman year ON OTHER TEAMS. I'm not going to go through all of this again. The culture up to this point has been about the NBA. Hopefully those supporting that are on their way elsewhere.

Last edited:
Roach is who he's talking about regarding the player they didn't want it public they were recruiting.

Apologize for linking that to Jones then-it was the jackass AD who spouted off. I'm openly biased against Barnhart so that is my fault for attributing that to Jones. Should've known it was Mitch trying to look cool for making his hire.
Ralph, I've seen enough of your negativity surrounding the Pope hire.

Mahaney isn't a PG either. He's an off ball player who can handle but he's not proven to be a guy who runs the team/offense.

Pope's system doesn't really rely on a true PG but I think it's something he needs to adjust within his system as he plays at the higher level. He did well in Big XII this past year, but think you need a quicker/more traditional guard to defend opposing teams and create buckets for you. Doesn't have to look similar to anyone but you need a guy who can do that role.

Hawkins is Wheeler 2.0 height wise but more mature human being. I'd be looking for better players but if he's what you need to get--then hope for the best.
He might not be a true PG but would like to have him come aboard now knowing he can help a lot in Pope’s schemes.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Ralph, I've seen enough of your negativity surrounding the Pope hire.
WTF are you talking about?

I'm fine with Pope.

I think Mitch Barnhart is a jackass and Pope's success will be even more impressive in having to overcome how inept Barnhart is at his job.

You can like Pope and not like how Barnhart sold him to the fans in that KSR interview. Barnhart's comments of what impressed him are embarrassing for someone who works where he does and oversees the crown jewel program of the University.

The days of guys playing for the name on the front are over has been for years.

You are dead on about the rest though. The key is identifying the right guys. Hurley has shown the world the modern blueprint for winning. If Pope can follow that model he will be fine. Hurley had more pro's on his last 2 teams than Cal but it was the right guys.
I think many are misunderstanding Pope and the jersey thing. He's talking about getting guys who enjoy being here, excelling as a team, taking pride in what they do, holding each other accountable, and then looking back and saying "I am glad I played for UK, they changed my life" I stead of this "thank you God and Calipari for my financial dreams come true".

Last edited:
Are you confusing him with someone else?

He’s not a mormon. He’s a black kid from Georgia looking to play at his fourth school in five years (after one year at Mississippi State, two at Georgia Tech, one at Utah).

So I’m not sure how the usual lame polygamy jokes would apply here.
Even if he was LDS, he IS NOT allowed to more than 1 wife and be a member of the LDS church!!!

Reactions: UK90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT