ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones Update

it’s really more about momentum, I think it’s important that Pope starts building some positive momentum to catch kids attention and be able to show them who they will be playing with. He really needs a couple of wins, at that point things will start rolling in the right direction. It’s those first couple that are hard, or so it seems.

According to Jones it’s not because he doesn’t want to be here but there are some other issues. He didn’t go into detail about it. Also said Roach was a guy UK was heavy on but when it was made public about their involvement Baylor entered and offered more
So the program got $4M added to NIL after his hire added to a larger pool financially (this is all from Jones/KSR btw) then anything Cal had and they can't afford to contend with Baylor for a PG in the Portal? I call BULL****

Roach was rumored to be going in the Portal for some time too. This didn't take Duke by surprise. My boss is the biggest Duke fan I know and told me in March that Roach was likely going to the Portal so Duke fans knew of this/expected it but "Kentucky's involvement" was hush hush.

FOH--anyone paying for that type of BS content is a sucker.

He said the situation could change but was highly unlikely
Typical Matt Jones yapping. Vague about a recruit's status. Says one thing but follows up with "it could change." So no matter what happens, it looks like he is right.

KSR is clueless folks just like the rest of us. They just have a larger platform to spew their monkey poo they fling against the wall to see what sticks.

So the program got $4M added to NIL after his hire added to a larger pool financially (this is all from Jones/KSR btw) then anything Cal had and they can't afford to contend with Baylor for a PG in the Portal? I call BULL****

Roach was rumored to be going in the Portal for some time too. This didn't take Duke by surprise. My boss is the biggest Duke fan I know and told me in March that Roach was likely going to the Portal so Duke fans knew of this/expected it but "Kentucky's involvement" was hush hush.

It’s 1 dollar for your first month that’s why I did it, but I cancelled immediately,
Because I’m not paying 12 dollars for that

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
If the smith issue is true then it’s time to start getting little conference
So why did they not vet this prior to setting up an OV? I mean there's some really spinning going on right now and it's not sounding great. Who is being protected is the key. Agree with Wonky who said it's Jones covering his own ass but if not-they need to get to work and posting pictures on a Jet is part of the job-doesn't impress that you are "working". You should be working. Just get it done and we can discuss the how/why/when afterwards.

His four wives are for moving to Lexington, but his four mothers-in law are against it
Are you confusing him with someone else?

He’s not a mormon. He’s a black kid from Georgia looking to play at his fourth school in five years (after one year at Mississippi State, two at Georgia Tech, one at Utah).

So I’m not sure how the usual lame polygamy jokes would apply here.

I have to think the slow movement on transfers or other recruits is due to Pope making sure the fit is right rather than just signing the first 13 that say they are interested in playing here. I hope that's what it is rather than having trouble finding people to come here, it has to be the former. When players see the banners, the Craft center and locker rooms they have to be impressed. I expect a few to commit this weekend.

Reactions: KFuqua
Typical Matt Jones yapping. Vague about a recruit's status. Says one thing but follows up with "it could change." So no matter what happens, it looks like he is right.

KSR is clueless folks just like the rest of us. They just have a larger platform to spew their monkey poo they fling against the wall to see what sticks.
Which is why Cal was smart to cut their asses out. He did a lot of dumb things and mailed in some aspects but eliminating their "involvement" from the program wasn't negative. He was smart.

It’s 1 dollar for your first month that’s why I did it, but I cancelled immediately,
Because I’m not paying 12 dollars for that
$12 a month for a guy lying and making up bull****? WOW

The Jeremy Roach thing is an outright LIE. That's not hearsay or something other than a fanboy who knows nothing making crap up and thinking enough people who just focus on Kentucky and don't follow the rest of CBB will accept it and say "Did you hear the Cats got screwed because it got out Roach was going in the Portal".

Excited Celebration GIF by Slanted Studios

So why did they not vet this prior to setting up an OV? I mean there's some really spinning going on right now and it's not sounding great. Who is being protected is the key. Agree with Wonky who said it's Jones covering his own ass but if not-they need to get to work and posting pictures on a Jet is part of the job-doesn't impress that you are "working". You should be working. Just get it done and we can discuss the how/why/when afterwards.
The info changes every 2 hours, one minute they fell great about sombody, then like 2 hours later they fell bad about the player coming here. Agree on the pics and posting and acting like you are working, go get these guys committed then brag about it. They need to start getting guys. It’s not in concerning territory yet, but it’s getting close

Last edited:
So will all of this resolve by May 11? Am I reading that correctly? This weird purgatory we are in sucks. It would be one thing if we were not literally starting from zero.

The info changes every 2 hours, one minute they fell great about sombody, then like 2 hours later they fell bad about the player coming here. Agree on the pics and posting and acting like you are working, go get these guys committed then brag about, they need to start getting guys. It’s not in concerning territory yet, but it’s getting close
Ngl I’m getting kind of concerned but not fully there yet

The info changes every 2 hours, one minute they fell great about sombody, then like 2 hours later they fell bad about the player coming here. Agree on the pics and posting and acting like you are working, go get these guys committed then brag about, they need to start getting guys. It’s not in concerning territory yet, but it’s getting close
So we're just falling over everyone.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23

I'll say this, from the get-go there were a couple recruits that Pop/staff wanted to keep hush-hush, for whatever reason. That was the case BEFORE any names came out. Speculation it was because they weren't officially in the portal yet, but also could've been due to NIL issues as well.

But you're right, hard to think that UK can't compete with Baylor for NIL payments, unless Roach was demanding something absolutely absurd that UK didn't feel good about.

$12 a month for a guy lying and making up bull****? WOW

The Jeremy Roach thing is an outright LIE. That's not hearsay or something other than a fanboy who knows nothing making crap up and thinking enough people who just focus on Kentucky and don't follow the rest of CBB will accept it and say "Did you hear the Cats got screwed because it got out Roach was going in the Portal".
I listened to the show and Matt said, “ I’m not mentioning names but there was a player in the portal that UK was probably going to get but word got out that UK was recruiting him and lost him.” I listened to the entire show and didn’t hear him say a name. I assumed Storr, but that was just my guess. I don’t have a dog in the Matt Jones fight, couldn’t care less where into comes from, but he never said a name.

Reactions: Jkwo and entropy13
I can just feel the schadenfreude radiating off of Cal and pig fans right now. I hate that!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT