ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones Periscope. UK approached about a high profile kickoff game.

Robcatt24

♩♪♫♬♭♮♯°ø؂≠≭
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2005
Just came across this in a thread over on Rupp Rafters.

Jones says UK football has been approached about a neutral site season opener against a high profile opponent in 2020 or 2021.

Who and where do you think the opponent/location is?

Just came across this in a thread over on Rupp Rafters.

Jones says UK football has been approached about a neutral site season opener against a high profile opponent in 2020 or 2021.

Who and where do you think the opponent/location is?
Hell yes!!!

Reactions: wyldecat
Well I'm not sure it could be in Atlanta. Chic-fil-a kickoff game is in Atlanta on opening weekend.

If this would have happened a year or two ago I'd guess Oklahoma. Not so much now.

Miami Hurricanes in Florida. Maybe Lamar Thomas called his old school.

Actually just my wish as Miami has always been my second favorite team since i was a kid.

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
Looking at the FBschedules website, most schools have already booked their 2020-21 openers.

One of the teams who does have an opening in 2021 is intriguing.

Iowa, Stoops' alma mater.

Looking at the FBschedules website, most schools have already booked their 2020-21 openers.

One of the teams who does have an opening in 2021 is intriguing.

Iowa, Stoops' alma mater.
That's gotta be it. I also went and looked and pretty
much every team that's been mentioned already has their opening opponents scheduled for those years.

He said it would be a team more on our level, so a FSU, OSU, ND game would seem to be off the table. I would imagine something against a Midwest opponent to help in recruiting, i.e. playing Nebraska or Pitt in Indianapolis or Cincinnati. VT is also not a bad call.

Reactions: EliteBlue
He said it would be a team more on our level, so a FSU, OSU, ND game would seem to be off the table. I would imagine something against a Midwest opponent to help in recruiting, i.e. playing Nebraska or Pitt in Indianapolis or Cincinnati. VT is also not a bad call.
What do you mean by "on our level?" Who knows what level UK'll be on in 2-3 years? As for ND, they're relevant in their on mind, are slipping nationally and have been for some time.

Would be a P5 school so that would eliminate Cincy.

That's gotta be it. I also went and looked and pretty
much every team that's been mentioned already has their opening opponents scheduled for those years.

Another possibility, and I hope it isn't them, is Indiana.

I believe they have openings in both those seasons on opening weekend.

Much rather do Iowa.

Reactions: ManitouDan
What do you mean by "on our level?" Who knows what level UK'll be on in 2-3 years? As for ND, they're relevant in their on mind, are slipping nationally and have been for some time.

Would be a P5 school so that would eliminate Cincy.

UK is not going to trade a sure win for a perennial top 10 opponent. Just doesn't make sense.

Reactions: mattrudd
Yes playing those meth heads would be a let down.

Another thing that would worry me about a football agreement with Indiana, is that it might open the door for a renewal of the basketball series.

Indiana has such an agreement with Louisville. They are in the middle of their basketball series, with games in Indianapolis, Louisville, and Bloomington. There is a simliar football arrangement scheduled for sometime in the 2020s.

I do not want UK involved in any kind of series with Indiana.

It could possibly be ND. Here is a quote from their AD a few months ago:

“It was interesting to see the list of teams we’ve never played (from the SEC, which include Mississippi State, Auburn and Kentucky),” Swarbrick told Litman. “I frankly didn’t know it. I have a great relationship with the Auburn athletic director (Jay Jacobs), and I’d love to figure out how to do that. There’s something to be said for ticking off everyone on that list until you can say you’ve done it over the history of this program.”

Would love to see a neutral site game in Indy against ND.

UK is not going to trade a sure win for a perennial top 10 opponent. Just doesn't make sense.
These "Kickoff Classics" have been around for years. UL is now playing in them as is UT and Bama and LSU and UF and Ga Tech and Va Tech, etc, etc, . It's a big plus for the program. That they're being considered is great news, another sign the program is on the rise.

Reactions: mktmaker
Another school I thought was a possibility was West Virginia.

Saw an interview back in the offseason with the WVU AD. And he was talking about the scheduling difficulties West Virginia faced being in the Big 12.

He talked about wanting to schedule more regional games, and Kentucky was one of the schools he mentioned.

But going by FBschedules, WVU is already booked in those seasons Jones mentioned in his periscope.

Vastly overrated every year but a win over them still looks good on your resume .
Exactly. They haven't been truly good since Donald Duck was their coach. They still think they are the be all end all in football in college football. Would love to see them grovel back to the pope.

Reactions: yoshukai
I could see a UK-VT match up in Charlotte or Atlanta, they used to play each other regularly in the 60's, 70's and 80's.
It would be a fun game and a game the Cats could win if things went right.

If we play Norte Dame on a neutral site, it will be in Indy, not Cincy. Fairly equidistant for both schools.

No chance it's Ohio State. There's no way Meyer would take that game. And before the pompous Ohio State fans show up here, no I don't think Meyer is "afraid" of UK or that UK would win.

But UK is making moves in that state on the recruiting front, and there's no reason for Meyer to do anything to raise the profile of UK nationally, and especially in the state of Ohio. It's a no-win situation for OSU. Don't get me wrong; I'd love to see it. I just don't see any way Meyer lets it happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT