ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones Periscope. UK approached about a high profile kickoff game.

He said it would be a team more on our level, so a FSU, OSU, ND game would seem to be off the table. I would imagine something against a Midwest opponent to help in recruiting, i.e. playing Nebraska or Pitt in Indianapolis or Cincinnati. VT is also not a bad call.

So, a team on our level would be high-profile? Unless it's Notre Dame (a has been with a name), I have trouble believing it.

If we play Norte Dame on a neutral site, it will be in Indy, not Cincy. Fairly equidistant for both schools.
Granted, but Cincinnati metro HS football has more to offer Notre Dame, and a BIG Catholic community that would be amped for the game. I think they might prefer Cincy.

My guess would be Florida State, Clemson, or Oklahoma.

Coach versus last stop, UK vs. bowl rivals, or brother versus brother*.

*- connection is there even if Stoops isn't.

I wonder if Bruton Smith is trying to work out a kickoff game at Kentucky Speedway. It's a worse venue for a football game than his Bristol Motor Speedway. But he has floated the idea of getting Kentucky to play there before.

UK vs Ohio St, Paul Brown Stadium. There's a chance we'd have more players from Ohio than they would. I would love it.
Me too. Our band could march from Covington across the suspension bridge playing the fight song with our fans cheering on behind them. Fantastic!

Reactions: KintuckyWildCayuts
Just came across this in a thread over on Rupp Rafters.

Jones says UK football has been approached about a neutral site season opener against a high profile opponent in 2020 or 2021.

Who and where do you think the opponent/location is?

Atlanta, Charlotte and Houston I think all host those type games. Bama wants the Atlanta game and that is who the SEC will push there, my guess is the Charlotte game against Miami maybe.

UK vs Ohio St, Paul Brown Stadium. There's a chance we'd have more players from Ohio than they would. I would love it.

That get's my vote too. The media loves a story. Stoops is part of a legendary football family from Ohio, and has rebuilt the Kentucky program largely from recruits from that state. Ohio State's legendary history speaks for itself. If we don't play the Buckeyes in the Outback Bowl this year, this would be a great season opener.

Reactions: Wvvrn
Just came across this in a thread over on Rupp Rafters.

Jones says UK football has been approached about a neutral site season opener against a high profile opponent in 2020 or 2021.

Who and where do you think the opponent/location is?

In think you need to look to Indy vs a Big Ten team or Atlanta vs a ACC team. I think if UK accepts the game you will know they think they have turned the corner because UK has not played 2 power 5 teams out of conference in a very long time. Always needed those 3 locked in wins.

With that said call me very surprised if they agree to play a regular top 10 team like OSU or FSU. With LSU and Auburn already on the schedule those years that might not be in your best interest.

Lots of interesting neutral field match ups being mentioned here but, much like bowl games, these games have sponsors, usually in town corporations helping lure out of town visitors in for a weekend. Some tend to favor local (in state) schools as a "host" team. Regardless, they don't just occur as a brainstorm between 2 ADs. The games I know of are:

Advocare Texas KO Classic (Houston)
Belk College KO Classic (Charlotte)
Camping World Kickoff (Orlando)
Chick-Fil-A Kickoff (Atlanta, some years 2 games; game usually takes on an ACC/SEC match up)
Can't remember the game sponsor for the UofL/Purdue game in Indy

Peace

There should be a new NFL dome in Vegas in 2020. An opener there could pull one of the big boys away from a more typical prime time kickoff.

Reactions: BigTyrone
UCLA, OU, Texas, USC in Vegas. Ought to be a new pro stadium out there by 2021. Makes sense somebody would want an event to go down in it. College football prime time game, BBN, showtime baby!

Same could be said for new LA stadium, Falcons stadium, future Buffalo, future Washington, newly renovated Bucs stadium. People invested in those would want a big time CFB, prime time, national, event that draws fans and interest from outside of their home state...

Also, there is only about 12-15 teams who are high profile now and will be high profile 3-4 years from now. Take out the programs from the sec that fit that criteria, then look at the potential neutral sites and see which of the remaining potential high profile programs are in the neighborhood....bob's your uncle...I'm a little tired to do the intensive gumshoe work, but I imagine somebody could really get close to figuring out...

It's either Duke, UNC, or NC State in Charlotte................................

OK! I made that up because I live here in NC and that would be great!

Well, if it's a team on "our level", it won' be high profile. I think of schools like Indiana, Kansas, and maybe Texas Tech. I'd rather UK just play a home game against directional U than play one of those schools at a neutral site.

If Kentucky can get a big name (Notre Dame or Nebraska) that's been playing at our level, that's another story :).

GBB!!!

Reactions: STUCKNBIG10
Well, if it's a team on "our level", it won' be high profile. I think of schools like Indiana, Kansas, and maybe Texas Tech. I'd rather UK just play a home game against directional U than play one of those schools at a neutral site.

If Kentucky can get a big name (Notre Dame or Nebraska) that's been playing at our level, that's another story :).

GBB!!!

I like the idea of playing at Paul Brown Stadium against either Notre Dame or Virgina Tech

Reactions: UKErik
ND needs games not playing in a conference. Personally, I'd rather not help them.

GBB!!!
Not only no but HELL NO! to Indiana or Kansas or UNC or Duke. All we'll get is 3+ hours of basketball comparisons. I'd like Penn St in Indy or Oklahoma St in Dallas.

The Iowa match up would be a cool one personally - my wife is from Cedar Rapids and is a huge Iowa fan.

Reactions: Bisco Hawk
Given our recent DC/Maryland recruiting ties, I'll throw in a wildcard guess: Navy or Maryland, at FedEx Field or M&T Bank Stadium.

My hunch would say ND or OSU at Paul Brown, though.

If KY agrees to play in a game like this it better be against a "brand" program. If not, makes zero sense to play the game. SEC schedule is hard enough.

OSU in Paul Brown would be beyond great. KY has nothing to lose and everything to gain. OSU gains nothing. Sounds a lot like what KY did for UofL's program starting the series back up again.

If KY agrees to play in a game like this it better be against a "brand" program. If not, makes zero sense to play the game. SEC schedule is hard enough.

OSU in Paul Brown would be beyond great. KY has nothing to lose and everything to gain. OSU gains nothing. Sounds a lot like what KY did for UofL's program starting the series back up again.
That's not correct and you Know it. I mean Cmon, because we started the series up with UL , that's why they have top 25 teams now? Two names, Teddy bridge water, LJ. Back to back.8 years long, that's why. Lol it's not cuz we started playing them

If you want to break it down we can. We would all agree from the ACC we aren't playing Clemson, Florida State, or Louisville. From the Big XII we aren't playing Texas or Oklahoma. From the Big Ten we aren't playing Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, or Wisconsin. From the Pac-12 we aren't playing anyone IMO.

ACC TEAMS
Boston College
- Has Holy Cross scheduled 9/5/20. In 2021 has opening date for 9/4.
Duke - Has Middle Tennessee scheduled 9/5/20. Has NC A&T scheduled 9/4/21.
Georgia Tech - Has opening 9/5/20. Has Kennesaw State scheduled 9/4/21.
Miami - Has Temple scheduled 9/520. Has Alabama scheduled 9/4/21.
North Carolina - Has openings for first weekend in 2020 and 2021.
NC State
- Has opening 9/5/20. Has Furman scheduled 9/4/21.
Pittsburgh - Has Richmond scheduled 9/5/20. Has opening 9/4/21.
Syracuse
- Has openings for first weekend in 2020 and 2021.
Virginia - Has Georgia scheduled 9/7/20. Has William & Mary scheduled 9/4/21.
Virginia Tech - Has Liberty scheduled 9/5/20. Has Richmond scheduled 9/4/21.
Wake Forest - Has Tulane scheduled 9/5/20. Has the max four OOC scheduled in 2021.

Big XII TEAMS
Baylor - Has Ole Miss scheduled 9/5/20. Has 3 max OOC scheduled in 2021.
Iowa State - Has South Dakota scheduled 9/5/20. Has Northern Iowa scheduled 9/4/21.
Kansas - Has Wagner scheduled 9/5/20. Has South Dakota scheduled 9/4/21.
Kansas State - Has Buffalo scheduled 9/5/20. Has Stanford scheduled 9/4/21.
Oklahoma State - Has Oregon State scheduled 9/3/20. Has Rice scheduled 9/4/21.
TCU - Has California scheduled 9/5/20. Has opening 9/4/21.
Texas Tech - Has UTEP scheduled 9/5/20. Has Lamar scheduled 9/4/21.
West Virginia - Has Florida State scheduled 9/3/20. Has Maryland scheduled 9/4/21.

Big Ten TEAMS
Illinois - Has Florida Atlantic scheduled 9/3/20. Has UTSA scheduled 9/4/21.
Indiana - Has max 3 OOC games scheduled in 2020 and 2021.
Iowa - Has Northern Illinois scheduled 9/5/20. Has opening 9/4/21.
Maryland - Has Towson scheduled 9/5/20. Has West Virginia scheduled 9/4/21.
Minnesota - Has New Mexico State scheduled 9/3/20. Has opening 9/4/21.
Nebraska - Has opening 9/5/20. Has Northern Illinois scheduled 9/4/21.
Northwestern - Has openings for first weekend in 2020 and 2021.
Purdue - Has openings for first weekend in 2020 and 2021.

Maryland - Has UCLA scheduled 9/5/20. Has Temple scheduled 9/4/21.

So Boston College, Georgia Tech, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Carolina, NC State, Northwestern, Pittsburgh, Purdue, Syracuse, and TCU look to be your winners. You could honestly eliminate Boston College, Georgia Tech, Syracuse from there.

So your final group would be Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Carolina, NC State, Northwestern, Pittsburgh, Purdue, and TCU.

If you want to break it down we can. We would all agree from the ACC we aren't playing Clemson, Florida State, or Louisville. From the Big XII we aren't playing Texas or Oklahoma. From the Big Ten we aren't playing Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, or Wisconsin. From the Pac-12 we aren't playing anyone IMO.

ACC TEAMS
Boston College
- Has Holy Cross scheduled 9/5/20. In 2021 has opening date for 9/4.
Duke - Has Middle Tennessee scheduled 9/5/20. Has NC A&T scheduled 9/4/21.
Georgia Tech - Has opening 9/5/20. Has Kennesaw State scheduled 9/4/21.
Miami - Has Temple scheduled 9/520. Has Alabama scheduled 9/4/21.
North Carolina - Has openings for first weekend in 2020 and 2021.
NC State
- Has opening 9/5/20. Has Furman scheduled 9/4/21.
Pittsburgh - Has Richmond scheduled 9/5/20. Has opening 9/4/21.
Syracuse
- Has openings for first weekend in 2020 and 2021.
Virginia - Has Georgia scheduled 9/7/20. Has William & Mary scheduled 9/4/21.
Virginia Tech - Has Liberty scheduled 9/5/20. Has Richmond scheduled 9/4/21.
Wake Forest - Has Tulane scheduled 9/5/20. Has the max four OOC scheduled in 2021.

Big XII TEAMS
Baylor - Has Ole Miss scheduled 9/5/20. Has 3 max OOC scheduled in 2021.
Iowa State - Has South Dakota scheduled 9/5/20. Has Northern Iowa scheduled 9/4/21.
Kansas - Has Wagner scheduled 9/5/20. Has South Dakota scheduled 9/4/21.
Kansas State - Has Buffalo scheduled 9/5/20. Has Stanford scheduled 9/4/21.
Oklahoma State - Has Oregon State scheduled 9/3/20. Has Rice scheduled 9/4/21.
TCU - Has California scheduled 9/5/20. Has opening 9/4/21.
Texas Tech - Has UTEP scheduled 9/5/20. Has Lamar scheduled 9/4/21.
West Virginia - Has Florida State scheduled 9/3/20. Has Maryland scheduled 9/4/21.

Big Ten TEAMS
Illinois - Has Florida Atlantic scheduled 9/3/20. Has UTSA scheduled 9/4/21.
Indiana - Has max 3 OOC games scheduled in 2020 and 2021.
Iowa - Has Northern Illinois scheduled 9/5/20. Has opening 9/4/21.
Maryland - Has Towson scheduled 9/5/20. Has West Virginia scheduled 9/4/21.
Minnesota - Has New Mexico State scheduled 9/3/20. Has opening 9/4/21.
Nebraska - Has opening 9/5/20. Has Northern Illinois scheduled 9/4/21.
Northwestern - Has openings for first weekend in 2020 and 2021.
Purdue - Has openings for first weekend in 2020 and 2021.

Maryland - Has UCLA scheduled 9/5/20. Has Temple scheduled 9/4/21.

So Boston College, Georgia Tech, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Carolina, NC State, Northwestern, Pittsburgh, Purdue, Syracuse, and TCU look to be your winners. You could honestly eliminate Boston College, Georgia Tech, Syracuse from there.

So your final group would be Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Carolina, NC State, Northwestern, Pittsburgh, Purdue, and TCU.

Great work! From that list gotta think UNC would make the most sense from a branding perspective. I'm not sure where the neutral site would be given Atlanta already being booked.

I've been told previously, and I actually think it's been reported to, that OSU won't be in any neutral sites unless it's against a perennial top five school. I think that's why you could eliminate playing them in Paul Brown.

^
I cannot imagine OSU agreeing to play us, for the many reasons set forth in this thread

I see a number of posters seem to ignore the fact these games have financial sponsors; they don't just occur because some city has a nice stadium. As an AD you are giving up a home game and all the revenue that comes from that game (tickets, parking, concessions, advertising, etc.). You need financial compensation to play such neutral field games. Your own ticket revenue is not enough.

FWIW, UofL got about $1.9M from their Chick-Fil-A appearance a couple of years back. They will get about the same for their Camping World Kickoff loss to 'Bama next year ('Bama getting $4M for leaving Tuscaloosa!). I have no idea what the per team payout was for what I believe was the first Ally Classic in Indy this year.

I'm not sure what Jones calls a "high profile team" but I seriously doubt UK would want to sign up for a sure fire loss (like Louisville did for next year). Unless something else "breaks" I would think the Ally Classic in Indy vs a lower-mid level BIG opponent or a similar ACC opponent in the Belk Classic would be the best "fits". All JMO.

Peace

Playing the Irish in Atlanta in a kickoff game would be righteous.
You bet, the baptist against the Catholic... How righteous can you get... Has Notre Dame ever been that far into the south before?

Absolutely nothing to gain by playing UNC or Indiana. Those games would only be "high profile" from a basketball perspective. The headlines and constant narrative of "these basketball powerhouses duking it out on the gridiron" is a slap in the face to the football program and counterproductive to the football program making a name for itself.

Reactions: EliteBlue
ADVERTISEMENT