ADVERTISEMENT

Marrow on YSU

1_Cool_CAT

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2008
London, KY
Marrow on the situation....

“Names are thrown out. I’m from here, grew up here. My interest — until I talk to somebody, my interest is just, I’m watching as a fan. But I’m a big fan of (Youngstown State president) Coach Tressel and (athletic director) Ron Strollo — played against him in high school. I’m pretty sure they’re going to get a good guy.”

“A lot people from home have been calling me saying, ‘Hey, we want you to come back home.’ But I’m just up here recruiting, looking at kids and all,” Marrow told WKBN. “Is my interest there to be the head coach there? We’ll have to see. We’ll have to see.”

“I know whenever I take a head job, I’ll do a good job,” Marrow said. “Right now we’re building a good thing down at Kentucky, but in the short future — you just never know when’s the right time to do it. But I know I will be a head coach sometime.”

https://www.wkbn.com/sports/watch-s...rrow-about-interest-in-ysu-coaching-position/

Reactions: uofkFTW18
Marrow on the situation....

“Names are thrown out. I’m from here, grew up here. My interest — until I talk to somebody, my interest is just, I’m watching as a fan. But I’m a big fan of (Youngstown State president) Coach Tressel and (athletic director) Ron Strollo — played against him in high school. I’m pretty sure they’re going to get a good guy.”

“A lot people from home have been calling me saying, ‘Hey, we want you to come back home.’ But I’m just up here recruiting, looking at kids and all,” Marrow told WKBN. “Is my interest there to be the head coach there? We’ll have to see. We’ll have to see.”

“I know whenever I take a head job, I’ll do a good job,” Marrow said. “Right now we’re building a good thing down at Kentucky, but in the short future — you just never know when’s the right time to do it. But I know I will be a head coach sometime.”

https://www.wkbn.com/sports/watch-s...rrow-about-interest-in-ysu-coaching-position/
Oh no....Big Dog wants to be a head man. He's 51, he will have to do it soon.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
I think every position coach in the country thinks they would be a great head coach, and maybe a few of them, including Marrow would be but the odds are always stacked against you in the long term.. To me, his forte' is recruiting and he is obviously one of the best in the country at not only face to face recruiting, but as recruiting coordinator, running the entire recruiting operation and managing others in that effort. He is getting paid well for what he does really well, has job security and will continue to get raises right along. I hope he factors in everything in his decision if it comes to that.

I think every position coach in the country thinks they would be a great head coach, and maybe a few of them, including Marrow would be but the odds are always stacked against you in the long term.. To me, his forte' is recruiting and he is obviously one of the best in the country at not only face to face recruiting, but as recruiting coordinator, running the entire recruiting operation and managing others in that effort. He is getting paid well for what he does really well, has job security and will continue to get raises right along. I hope he factors in everything in his decision if it comes to that.

signed Dabo Swinney

Reactions: UKat1
Love Coach Marrow and would hate to lose him but I would understand if he wanted his shot. I agree that it sounds like he would certainly take it if offered. I trust Stoops to bring in another great coach should Marrow leave.

I'd really miss the quotes though.

Bo Pelini was making $325,000 per year at Youngstown St. Marrow makes nearly twice as much here, and Marrow makes more than nearly 30 FBS head coaches. It's hard for me to see a place like Youngston St. being able to fork up the cash to pay VM a salary that would even be close to what he makes now.

Bo Pelini was making $325,000 per year at Youngstown St. Marrow makes nearly twice as much here, and Marrow makes more than nearly 30 FBS head coaches. It's hard for me to see a place like Youngston St. being able to fork up the cash to pay VM a salary that would even be close to what he makes now.

I’m not sure what they would pay. Bo not his agent had any incentive to go for a big first contract, because Nebraska was paying his buyout. The way that usually works is the school that owes the buyout pays what they owe MINUS the coach’s new salary, so he would have gotten paid the same amount if Y’town was paying him 1.5 mil a year. I wouldn’t even have wanted them to pay me as much as they did. If it were me I’d tell them pay me half that & save the rest for the next contract because I’d be trying to stick it to the ones who fired me.

If he wants to be a head coach, making the jump from a recruiting coordinator to head man, YS is as likely the best job he gets. If he did well there, he could climb the money and prestige ladder. At 51, he’s at crossroads, head coach or career assistant.

I really like Coach Marrow and what he has done for Coach Stoops and the UK program and understand he has to do what he thinks is best for Him an his family to accomplish his goals. Would like form him stay at UK forever

What’s even worse than losing him is losing him to a place that is right where we’re recruiting a lot of players. One would think if a kid had a chance to play at KY in the sec or Youngstown state they’d pick KY. But still not good.

Reactions: mattrudd
Don’t think he’ll leave yet. Think couple more years he could get a MAC offer, which he would probably take.

I think if he wants to be a HC stay at UK. I think there is a fairly decent chance he would be in line if Stoops went somewhere else, just because of continuity---and a lot of times you see schools like Kentucky, who just can't go out and hire a Nick Saban take a chance with someone whose up and coming on staff.

Reactions: The-Hack
If marrow feels like this is his opportunity then all the luck to him and I thank him for all he has done. The timing is poor though as a lot the coaching moves have already been made. Marrow’s prefect replacement would have been Coley who took the TE job at A&M and is a great recruiter.

I would say he is more than likely gone if offered the job, it's something he wants to do and it's home, so that would be all it takes with what he has said about it. I hate the day this happens, we have never had such a good recruiter that has had us in the top 20 to 30 for any extended time like he has. I just hope the next one can do as well as him, he has laid the foundation for the next guy.

I wonder how these rumor affect Michael Drennens coming decision next week

Doubtful IMO. Marrow won't be his position coach, and slick recruiters are needed to get players on campus to give you a shot. Once they get to campus the importance of your geographic recruiter diminishes.

Ummm...don’t like that...seems commital and non-commital. Pay em Mitch!
What should we expect him to say? Aside from maybe Rick Barnes, people do not publicly say no to jobs that have not been offered to them or discussed with them by the employer. Aside from being bad manners, it isn't smart. All Marrow really said here is that he wants to be a head coach someday. All assistant coaches want to be head coaches some day. No news there.

Reactions: Dncmaxwell
What’s even worse than losing him is losing him to a place that is right where we’re recruiting a lot of players. One would think if a kid had a chance to play at KY in the sec or Youngstown state they’d pick KY. But still not good.
I would think that KY would be fishing in deeper waters than YS.

Reactions: UKat1 and mrschwump
I would think that KY would be fishing in deeper waters than YS.
I agree but look at the recruits he’s convinced to come here over other “bigger” schools.
I’m not saying it’s the end of the world, just saying I could see him convincing a kid like Bowden to stay there and play for him. Especially if he gets in early on with the player and his family.
Hope he stays. If not I wish him the best and thank him for what he’s done.

Interesting, if he takes the job, YSU plays in the MVFC, which is the same conference that Missouri State plays in, Bobby Petrino's new gig.

This is the concerning set of words:

"But I know I will be a head coach sometime.”

He's 51, I believe. Time is running out if that's his ultimate goal. He's smart enough to know that he's not going to his first HC job at a Power 5 school, he's going to have to start lower than that. So the money part doesn't matter, he's going to take a huge cut whenever he does it. And YS is home.

IOW, if he doesn't take this job, what job will he take if he, as he says, wants to be a head coach?

Reactions: mattrudd and UKat1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT