ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Pope Should get an Interview

It’s a smoke screen. Increase an alums market value. Get the fans to focus on it.

While working back channels to gauge Donovan’s interest. Hear nothing means Billy D is interested.

If he isnt interested, be a leaked report about them zeroing on one of their tier 2 candidates

Let’s hope so

Looks like he's getting more than the interview. Credible reports that he's getting the job. I remember he was an extremely bright student and accomplished academically. Hope he can parlay all that brain power into success on the court.

I agree with you 100%

This business is about relationships and it helps Pope out to get a UK interview.

If Mitch hires him before Donovan, Pearl, etc though, we should tar and feather him, and toss him over the state line.
I stand by what I said.

It’s a smoke screen. Increase an alums market value. Get the fans to focus on it.

While working back channels to gauge Donovan’s interest. Hear nothing means Billy D is interested.

If he isnt interested, be a leaked report about them zeroing on one of their tier 2 candidates
This…isn’t a thing.

Yeah you’re at least doing Pope a solid with the interview possibly increasing his market value a smidgeon.

But it’s a waste of time and resources that could be dedicated to actually researching, vetting, and contacting realistic coach options right now.

No side missions. Barney needs to stay on task.
Umm…so how are we doing this morning?

Most upset I’ve ever been at UK athletics in my lifetime….
Yah. What a mess. Honestly though Pope may have been the best guy to say yes. Hire had to be made now in order to fill a roster in time before portal closes. Would have been disastrous to drag out another week, and apparently every other serious candidate quietly said no. People assume “I can’t believe Mitch didn’t offer so and so!” but the reality is we don’t hear about every back channel feeler that goes out. Not even close. Mitch put soft feelers to most of the names being thrown around here. They all said no thanks.

Yah. What a mess. Honestly though Pope may have been the best guy to say yes. Hire had to be made now in order to fill a roster in time before portal closes. Would have been disastrous to drag out another week, and apparently every other serious candidate quietly said no. People assume “I can’t believe Mitch didn’t offer so and so!” but the reality is we don’t hear about every back channel feeler that goes out. Not even close. Mitch put soft feelers to most of the names being thrown around here. They all said no thanks.
Respectfully that’s not true….his morality caused him to refuse to consider: Pearl, Miller and Beard. Miller has like 3-4 Elite Eights and got in trouble for something that is no longer against the rules. But sure hire the guy with zero NCAA tournament wins when the entire reason we needed a new coach was poor post-season results.

He’s family. Doing a great job at BYU. Happened to be teammates with the dad of a player we would all like to see return.

Should we hire him? Depends how far we get down the list. But you don’t lose anything by interviewing him, unless you already have a grand slam lined up.

Give the guy a chance to make his best pitch.
Very astute call there Aike .. or you had some inside info :)

Reactions: Aike
Very astute call there Aike .. or you had some inside info :)
Didn’t have any info on this. Was just trying to be practical.

Going to hope for the best, give Pope a chance, and support my team.

We went 14-14 in Pitino’s first year, but it was a lot of fun. Everyone could see we were headed in the right direction.

I’m glad the Cal cloud is lifted. Hoping for and looking forward to brighter days.

He'll get hired before Pearl and that alone puts me at ease during this search.

I'd be patient with him if he got hired and be excited to watch family rebuild this thing. I'd also laugh my tail off because some of the biggest A-holes here don't want him.
Yeah when I see Rockfly and that other nonsense slinger saying No Way I feel better about our choice already .

Yeah sure. Why wouldn’t I be?
Well you said he wasn’t even on your top 10 and that you didn’t mind him getting a courtesy interview. Not unreasonable to think your feelings may be different given it was much more than a “courtesy”. Glad you are happy with it. I tried to warn people that “fake interviews” aren’t a real thing, especially with an AD trying to keep his job and not play games.

Didn’t have any info on this. Was just trying to be practical.

Going to hope for the best, give Pope a chance, and support my team.

We went 14-14 in Pitino’s first year, but it was a lot of fun. Everyone could see we were headed in the right direction.

I’m glad the Cal cloud is lifted. Hoping for and looking forward to brighter days.
I was just teasing you fellow BBN brother .. very great call on your part . To just consider it .. I'd preferred to wait on Billy D , or forced our way into a conversation with oats , and maybe send a feeler to Golden , But I'm ok with the Pope !

Well you said he wasn’t even on your top 10 and that you didn’t mind him getting a courtesy interview. Not unreasonable to think your feelings may be different given it was much more than a “courtesy”. Glad you are happy with it. I tried to warn people that “fake interviews” aren’t a real thing, especially with an AD trying to keep his job and not play games.
Barney took the easy way out. When his heart got broken by pastor Scott he panicked and didn’t know what to do.

I’m not happy or unhappy. There are other people I would have pursued, but he’s a quality coach.

He has a big job ahead of him, and I will support him unless and until he gives me reason not to. I think this philosophy would serve all of BBN well at this juncture, but I certainly don’t speak for anyone but myself.

He’s family. Doing a great job at BYU. Happened to be teammates with the dad of a player we would all like to see return.

Should we hire him? Depends how far we get down the list. But you don’t lose anything by interviewing him, unless you already have a grand slam lined up.

Give the guy a chance to make his best pitch.
I think that you are 100% correct. This could turn out to be a really smart hire. He certainly has UK ties and having played for Pitino we can count him as a Pitino tree coach. He CLEARLY has better coaching experience than either Duke or UNC's legacy hires.

This certainly could go badly quickly because we are an ADHD fanbase. And if I am putting my money where my mouth was wrt Cal's inability to coach...that hiring a HS coach would be better than Cal....we did a lot better with Pope. Lets do this!!!!

Perhaps I had just forgotten, but the last few days have revealed just how trashy and stupid a large volume of posters on this board are.

What’s wrong with legitimate discussion?

Obviously, it was not idiotic to bring up Pope getting an interview when he’s the guy who was hired.

I honestly don’t know how some of you function in life with the way you respond to simple basketball questions/comments.

He may the be the wrong guy. But, for now, he is THE guy. So, we will see . . .

Well, it kinda seems that way. We all love the guy, but damn this is a risk. Boosters are gonna have to carry a lot of weight. A lot. And Pope better be able to X and O. This is too risky for me. Golden seems like a safer risk if you want to roll the dice.

The ability to “X and O” is what got him the job.

He’s got other things to work on, and therein lies the risk.

The ability to “X and O” is what got him the job.

He’s got other things to work on, and therein lies the risk.
The Def is the only issue I'm seeing. But I think that improves as the quality of his roster improves at Kentucky. We'll see how the Def shapes up.

Reactions: UKUGA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT