ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Pope Qualifications.

Depleted bench and Pope as coach. Next year is going to suck at a Billy G level.

I appreciate your enthusiasm buddy but Kenny Payne could’ve checked several of those boxes too.
From Cal tree and any Coach he has turned into a Head Coach has been a root on the coaching tree. Does Cal even have a coach from his tree that has not been fired?

From Cal tree and any Coach he has turned into a Head Coach has been a root on the coaching tree. Does Cal even have a coach from his tree that has not been fired?
Nope I don’t think so. He hasn’t developed any successful coaches? Happy? Doesn’t take away this is a horrible choice

That is actually a good point.
Just trying to help my Wildcat brethren calm down and take a realistic look at Mark Pope.

Several are all up in their feelings over Cal leaving, and will blast whomever the next coach is as a failure before he ever coaches a game here.

Mark Pope is UK through and through. Comes from a great system. And won a NC here by being a great TEAM PLAYER!

I thought that was what we were all looking for in our next coach. A UK first guy.

That is who MP is.

Will MP be successful here??
I don't know and neither do any of these posters that are throwing temper tantrums over the hire.

But, I am willing to give the man a chance because he is one of us. And, I will support him and hope he is our next RP or Adolph Rupp.

Reactions: Short-Dawg-69
I just want him to be 100% about the success of the program and give 100% of his effort toward that end. That's what I've said for years when asked what my qualifications would be for a coach. If he does that, I'm all good.

You just can't believe in something when the person running it isn't putting much effort into it. That's what we had with Cal. People stopped caring so much. I want to care again and I do already.
You mean somebody like this.

Reactions: know1
Lol not the same thing. Also, Jon and Hubert started out with loaded roster compared to what Mark is going to have.
And that is certainly not because of anything that Mark Pope has done.

So, as fans, we need to give him at least enough time to rebuild a competent roster. Something that Cal never did and left our program in a hell of a mess.

Reactions: blubo
People were clamoring for Mitch to call Todd Golden, like he should have been way up the list, when In fact Golden has accomplished no more than Pope and has a 59% winning percentage, but Lots of folks think he should have been in the tier two list. "Splain that to me.

Reactions: cathouse
UK Grad. Check.

Wants to be coach of Kentucky. Check.

HC experience. Check.

NCAA experience. Check.

National Championship player at UK. Check.

Rick Pitino coaching tree. Check.

NBA player. Check.

Plays uptempo fast paced offence. Check.

Teams actually play defense ( even a zone) check..

Not Cal. Check.

What more do you want out of our next coach?????
Teams that actually play defense? Have you looked at where his teams have ranked defensively? I don’t believe he’s ever had one rank inside the top 100.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT