ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Pope = Class

Jun 28, 2007
On a night where he should be celebrated, basking in his glory of being in his prime, at the peak of his career, in the best job in all of Basketball.

When most would think they had arrived, make it about themselves even just for a moment, he takes the opportunity to do something that was long overdue and help heal some old wounds for allot of people by not making it about himself and bringing out the most polarizing figure in our programs history.

Knowing that would be the most memorable thing about the night, and be the headline.

It’s not and it’s never been about him and that’s why we had to love this guy.

I said several months ago, during last season, that Pope would kill it here. I was laughed at and ridiculed on here beyond belief. I know it’s still really early, but this seems to be the absolute perfect fit. Here’s to hoping Pope is extremely successful here and hopefully is in the seat until retirement. GBB!

EDIT - Have always wanted a former UK player to be head coach here. A real UK guy. Doesn’t get much better in that regard than Mark Pope IMO!

Also introducing all his assistants, trainers and other staff all the way down to video man was very classy. Did our former coaches ever do anything like that at Madness. I thought that was great class to recognize all his support in front of 20,000.
Agree! And as I was watching reactions, it sure seemed to me some of the staff were surprised in a very good way by this. Pope sure seems to be a genuine man and I hope he will be wildly successful here for more reasons than because he is winning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT