ADVERTISEMENT

Change of Pace QB ?

This. Other than backup time or maybe goal line, no reason whatsoever to bring in Gavin. All it does is disrupt the offense and the qb rhythm. We saw that set us back vs sc. Notice we didn't do it vs ga, so that tells you what the staff thought about sc which sheds some light on players not taking that game as seriously as needed.

The worst part about the whole thing is brock is a more than capable runner. Hes a great athlete that runs strong. Hes noticably a step faster than levis. He might run down in the 4.5s. So other than to save some hits, no reason to bring out someone else.
Disagree.
It's Brock's job to create separation between the two.
Other SEC schools win games with packages for a second QB.
Been a long time since the starter and the backup have been this close in ability.
Going to Gavin is not like going to Kaiya or Destin.
We can win games with Gavin under center.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Disagree.
It's Brock's job to create separation between the two.
Other SEC schools win games with packages for a second QB.
Been a long time since the starter and the backup have been this close in ability.
Going to Gavin is not like going to Kaiya or Destin.
We can win games with Gavin under center.

Create? There is already a large degree of separation. Gavin has an entire career history of being putrid throwing the ball against much weaker competition than he will see in the sec.

This has nothing to do with skill and everything trying to get a good runner more touches. If theyre intent on getting him touches, do it in a way that doesn't disrupt the game flow like it did vs sc.

Create? There is already a large degree of separation. Gavin has an entire career history of being putrid throwing the ball against much weaker competition than he will see in the sec.

This has nothing to do with skill and everything trying to get a good runner more touches. If theyre intent on getting him touches, do it in a way that doesn't disrupt the game flow like it did vs sc.
The coaches should have never kept Brock on the field when they put Gavin under center.
Just a stupid game plan that's not fooling anyone.
I thought Gavin looked ok against SC at the end when he was the only QB on the field.
There's a lot of football left to be played but thus far I haven't seen anything out of Brock to suggest Rutgers football would have won anymore game with him and under center the last couple years.

We have to start recruiting better QBs and do real development. Going to portal gettinga QB from another team that can't earn playing time is not a winning strategy. How long has it been since we have developed a QB. Tim Couch 1998? 26 years? For certain it has been 12 years because Stoops has not recruited and DEVELOPED a single QB. This is a losing strategy for 2024 modern college football. Bama, GA, TX, TN stack 4 & 5 star QBs. We try and grab their leftovers that can't earn playing time. We then talk up all the great things this highly rated high school 5* kid will do for us. Do we not understand that every year we do this we get further behind our competition. Why would a kid want to come play QB out of high school for Stoops when they know they will not be developed but will be benched for a portal QB. It is a death spiral that makes me sick.
[
Well, we've at least developed a few since Coach. You've heard of Woodson, Lorenzen, and Hartline?

We have to start recruiting better QBs and do real development. Going to portal gettinga QB from another team that can't earn playing time is not a winning strategy. How long has it been since we have developed a QB. Tim Couch 1998? 26 years? For certain it has been 12 years because Stoops has not recruited and DEVELOPED a single QB. This is a losing strategy for 2024 modern college football. Bama, GA, TX, TN stack 4 & 5 star QBs. We try and grab their leftovers that can't earn playing time. We then talk up all the great things this highly rated high school 5* kid will do for us. Do we not understand that every year we do this we get further behind our competition. Why would a kid want to come play QB out of high school for Stoops when they know they will not be developed but will be benched for a portal QB. It is a death spiral that makes me sick.
Well, ask Boley, Stone Sanders and Brennan why a highly rated qb would want to come, and we haven't developed a qb since T Couch? Oh my!

The coaches should have never kept Brock on the field when they put Gavin under center.
Just a stupid game plan that's not fooling anyone.
I thought Gavin looked ok against SC at the end when he was the only QB on the field.
There's a lot of football left to be played but thus far I haven't seen anything out of Brock to suggest Rutgers football would have won anymore game with him and under center the last couple years.

His completion percentage there was atrocious. Probably worst in d1. If brock goes down, hes a really good backup option but there is plenty of separation.

[
Well, we've at least developed a few since Coach. You've heard of Woodson, Lorenzen, and Hartline?
Neither of those three could start for many SEC schools today, if any. Did they lead us to any championships? Don't settle for mediocracy. Would either of them start for GA, AL, TX, TN, MS, AR, MO, Vandy, and FL? Maybe Auburn, MS State, and KY are the only three in the SEC that they would see the field.

Neither of those three could start for many SEC schools today, if any. Did they lead us to any championships? Don't settle for mediocracy. Would either of them start for GA, AL, TX, TN, MS, AR, MO, Vandy, and FL? Maybe Auburn, MS State, and KY are the only three in the SEC that they would see the field.
So you seen them play?

So you seen them play?
i Got out of Univ KY in 1968. At 79, I have seen a ton of KY QBs. I am talking about toay's requirement for 2024 college QBs. RIP Hefty Lefty, Jared was fun to watch. I can remember watching Lou Michael kicking field goals in 1956. My first KY football game my Dad took me to. sat on some wooden bleachers.

My man, you're out of your mind. I thought you were trolling until you doubled down.
Andre Woodson was an ELITE SEC quarterback. He was projected as a possible 1st round pick, had a bad combine, but still got drafted. His numbers as a senior were outstanding. Lorenzen had a Super Bowl ring, albeit as a backup, and was absolutely a SEC caliber quarterback. Hartline wasn't on that caliber but also proved himself as SEC worthy.
Actually, even Max Smith was a credible quarterback. Patrick Towles certainly had his moments. Lynn Bowden wasn't really a quarterback but he saved a season from a disaster by filling that role.
But, seriously, you don't think Andre Woodson was legit? Forget the other guys for a moment. That guy was the absolute definition of a first level SEC quarterback. As a matter of fact, he was 2nd team All SEC twice, which translates to better than everyone else except one other guy at the position.

My man, you're out of your mind. I thought you were trolling until you doubled down.
Andre Woodson was an ELITE SEC quarterback. He was projected as a possible 1st round pick, had a bad combine, but still got drafted. His numbers as a senior were outstanding. Lorenzen had a Super Bowl ring, albeit as a backup, and was absolutely a SEC caliber quarterback. Hartline wasn't on that caliber but also proved himself as SEC worthy.
Actually, even Max Smith was a credible quarterback. Patrick Towles certainly had his moments. Lynn Bowden wasn't really a quarterback but he saved a season from a disaster by filling that role.
But, seriously, you don't think Andre Woodson was legit? Forget the other guys for a moment. That guy was the absolute definition of a first level SEC quarterback. As a matter of fact, he was 2nd team All SEC twice, which translates to better than everyone else except one other guy at the position.
Yesterday years are fun to discuss but let's talk about in the past 12 years what QB has your beloved Coach Stoops recruited, developed at QB that has been a QB that could or would have started for GA, AL, TX, TN, MS, FL, AU, or LSU. Name one. This is where we are not going to be able to have an elite team. It ALL starts with the QB.

Well, ask Boley, Stone Sanders and Brennan why a highly rated qb would want to come, and we haven't developed a qb since T Couch? Oh my!
Let's hope they all sign, stay, and get DEVELOPED! That would be a wonderful start to success in the QB driven game we have today.

I think at this point I may have more confidence in Gavin and think he needs to be moved up to more than a back up or change of pace choice. Don’t normally like a split time thing but he needs to be on the field more, my eye test tells me that for sure

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT