ADVERTISEMENT

Man look at the crowd at the TT v WV game

So many on here continue to say that they "appreciate what he did for UK"...

What he "did for UK" is, take a program that was at it's absolute peak and send it on a slow downward trajectory over an 8 year span.

He, a nice man mind you, turned UK into Seton Hall...

That actually takes some effort.

I remember guys like Kevin Durant saying that they'd never even heard from Kentucky.

I remember being so frustrated because we couldn't pull the best "in state" talent.

I remember (can't confirm this) hearing that Tubby "urged" Branden Wright to take all his recruiting visits when he was ready to commit to UK.

I remember guys like Darius Rice and Chris Singleton choosing Miami and Florida State over UK.

Dan Werner and Tyrone Nash say hello...

I'm sorry but I'm still pissed at Tubby and Mitch Barnhardt for all that.

Billie Gillispie is the best thing that ever happened to Tubby because if it weren't for him, people wouldn't be nearly as nice about it.

Originally posted by lakercat:
Another Tubby thread, yay. He left right years ago, right? Kentucky fans is to Tubby as Louisville fans are to Kentucky in terms of obsession.
Rupp, Joe B., Sutton have all been gone a long time too but you still see people talk about them as well. They are a part of UK history and will be talked about. Tubby is talked about a lot because people were blasted and labeled racist if they disagreed with people saying he was great for our program. Not different in the way people are treated if they disagree with Obama.

Originally posted by BigBlueFanGA:
I get really frustratedcat the Tubby haters on here who continue to beat their drum. I wanted Tubby gone so bad I got a timeout from this forum in his last year, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate what he did for us. Since the beginning of Rupps career here, in 1930, UK has 8 championships. 8, in 84 years. That's 1 per decade folks. Rupp won 4 in 42 years. That's still one per decade. Tubby won 1 in ten years, so did Hall and Pitino. Tubby should be revered, not hated.
There was no NCAA Championship until 1939. I don't know why people can't understand this. Plus, we didn't play in the 1952-53 season. Further, we were ineligible to participate in both the 1989-90 and 1990-91 seasons. And not the mention the royal screwing the NCAA gave us in 1953-54.

So, taking all of this into consideration, since 1938-39, Kentucky has only had the opportunity to compete in the NCAA Tournament in 72 of the 76 total seasons, winning 8 titles. That's an average of 1 every 9 years.

This post was edited on 1/6 9:00 AM by BluegrassBaron

Originally posted by Raroyder:
The fact that the very mention of Tubby stirs up discussion still, tells you all you need to know.

If it were cut-and-dry that he was an excellent or horrible leader for this program during his time here, a random thread on the Internet 9 years after he left wouldn't contain this type of dialogue.

Basically, its just not that simple. I'd rank him 5th out of coaches we've had in the modern era (from Rupp forward). I think most people would.
Yes.

Originally posted by Vandalayindustries:
Never understand why people spend energy bashing a former coach that won a national title. It's been nearly 10 years since he left, people need to get over it.
Does the name Pitino ring a bell? He has been gone longer.

I know he went to UL. I know we hate UL. But, it is a fair comparison because we discuss ALL the pros and cons of former coaches on this board. Not sure why some think that Tubby should never be discussed unless it is the good aspect of his tenure?

Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it. It is important to remember the good and the bad so we never go there again.

Originally posted by Louis_Skunt:
Originally posted by 83Cat:
I would have rather kept Tubby VS the drunkard, and then jumped right to Cal from there.
I wouldve rather passed on Tubby and grabbed someone else, anyone. With Pitino in Boston, Billy D wouldve come to UK and Lord only knows how many titles we wouldve won.
Stupid take on the situation.

Originally posted by preacherfan:
Never understand why people spend energy bashing a former coach that won a national title. It's been nearly 10 years since he left, people need to get over it.

I know he went to UL. I know we hate UL. But, it is a fair comparison because we discuss ALL the pros and cons of former coaches on this board. Not sure why some think that Tubby should never be discussed unless it is the good aspect of his tenure?

Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it. It is important to remember the good and the bad so we never go there again.
Fair comparison? The sole reason people talk about Pitino is because he coaches UL. When Pitino left for the Celtics most of BBN turned into Celtics fans. It's not that Tubby is discussed, I think people have an issue with the lack of class and common decency Tubby bashers continuously show in these threads they start.

Originally posted by ~Keyser Soze~:

Fair comparison? The sole reason people talk about Pitino is because he coaches UL. When Pitino left for the Celtics most of BBN turned into Celtics fans. It's not that Tubby is discussed, I think people have an issue with the lack of class and common decency Tubby bashers continuously show in these threads they start.
Is calling Tubby an OK coach who is not elite showing a lack of class and decency?

Is saying how Tubby left Kentucky was not his finest hour showing a lack of class and decency?

Is saying that Tubby never recruited a Final Four player showing a lack of class and decency?

Is saying that his tenure since leaving Kentucky has been disappointing showing a lack of class and decency?

Is saying that he was lazy at recruiting and virtually coasted for the last 2-3 years at Kentucky showing a lack of class and decency?

Originally posted by BluegrassBaron:

Is calling Tubby an OK coach who is not elite showing a lack of class and decency?

Is saying how Tubby left Kentucky was not his finest hour showing a lack of class and decency?

Is saying that Tubby never recruited a Final Four player showing a lack of class and decency?

Is saying that his tenure since leaving Kentucky has been disappointing showing a lack of class and decency?

Is saying that he was lazy at recruiting and virtually coasted for the last 2-3 years at Kentucky showing a lack of class and decency?
It lacks common decency, yes. UK is not at war with Tubby so what is the point of continuously trying to tear him down? He has been gone 8 years and you guys keep regurgitating the same negative talking points.

So it lacks common decency to make general statements based entirely on facts?

So stating facts is not common decency now?

Be sure never the bash or call out UNC ever again. Gosh darn it, they have been through enough. It hurts their feelings, and that's just not common decency.

This post was edited on 1/6 10:59 AM by BluegrassBaron

So it lacks common decency to make general statements based entirely on facts?

So stating facts is not common decency now?

Be sure never the bash or call out UNC ever again. Gosh darn it, they have been through enough. It hurts their feelings, and that's just not common decency.

This post was edited on 1/6 10:59 AM by BluegrassBaron
Entirely based in facts? You said Tubby was a lazy recruiter his last 2/3 years? How could you possibly know this "fact"? What access to the program do you have that gave you insight on this fact?

You guys are so intellectually dishonest, you really think bashing Tubby is the same as calling out UNC on their current ongoing academic fraud scandal? By all means, continue doing whatever makes you happy, but continuously bashing a man all these years later is not a good look to a lot of people.

It lacks common decency, yes. UK is not at war with Tubby so what is the point of continuously trying to tear him down? He has been gone 8 years and you guys keep regurgitating the same negative talking points.
You can tell by BlueGrassBaron's other posts that he is not very bright and somewhat miserable in general.

It's best to ignore him.

Arguing about Tubby is a fool's errand, because the facts about him are clear, but the topic is old and worn out. No matter what the result, the conversation will not end well. Best to avoid it entirely. Just give Tubby a nod, tip your hat, and move on.

Originally posted by UKWildcats#8:

Originally posted by CloverforkCat:
Tubby has taken 4 schools to the NCAA tourney, Tulsa, Georgia, UK, and Minnesota. 5 if he gets Texas Tech to the dance in a couple of years, only UK was an established power. Tulsa, Georgia, and Minnesota were garbage heaps when he took over, and got them all in the tourney within 2 or 3 years.
Bottom line Tubby is a very good, not great, coach who has had a solid career as a HC, and has been a gentleman who also ran clean programs.
Very Good? Give me a break. Jim Boeheim is a very good, not great, coach. He is often overrated as a great coach, but he is simply a very good coach, who I believe has only been past the Sweet 16 6 times in 30 NCAA Tourney Appearances.

I guess you just have a different definition of very good coach than some of us.
Jim Boeheim has only coached at ONE school, yes he is most always in the NCAA tourney, and has 1 NC, and what 3 FF's. Most impartial observers would probably call him a Great coach, what with over 900 wins. To me taking a scholl with little Hoops tradition ie. Tulsa, Georgia, and Minny to the dance within a short period of time is quite an accomplishment.
Why stupid threads are posted on the subject of Tubby some 8 years after he left, is a sign of a fan base than probably has mental and emotional issues, or simply too much time on their hands !

Tubby has taken 4 schools to the NCAA tourney, Tulsa, Georgia, UK, and Minnesota. 5 if he gets Texas Tech to the dance in a couple of years, only UK was an established power. Tulsa, Georgia, and Minnesota were garbage heaps when he took over, and got them all in the tourney within 2 or 3 years.
Bottom line Tubby is a very good, not great, coach who has had a solid career as a HC, and has been a gentleman who also ran clean programs.
Very Good? Give me a break. Jim Boeheim is a very good, not great, coach. He is often overrated as a great coach, but he is simply a very good coach, who I believe has only been past the Sweet 16 6 times in 30 NCAA Tourney Appearances.

I guess you just have a different definition of very good coach than some of us.
Jim Boeheim has only coached at ONE school, yes he is most always in the NCAA tourney, and has 1 NC, and what 3 FF's. Most impartial observers would probably call him a Great coach, what with over 900 wins. To me taking a scholl with little Hoops tradition ie. Tulsa, Georgia, and Minny to the dance within a short period of time is quite an accomplishment.
Why stupid threads are posted on the subject of Tubby some 8 years after he left, is a sign of a fan base than probably has mental and emotional issues, or simply too much time on their hands !
And fired at Minnesota but not fired at Kentucky. Man, those Minny people must be racists or crazy.

It's funny that, in Kentucky at least, it's just insanity that a basketball game would be that empty. Every time I watch a game on TV where you could just walk down to the lower level and sit near the court I'm astounded. I think that speaks to the love of hoops in this state. The older I get the more I realize that we really are a bit of an anomaly in terms of loving basketball culturally, and I include every university in the state in that.

Originally posted by BigBlueFanGA:
I get really frustratedcat the Tubby haters on here who continue to beat their drum. I wanted Tubby gone so bad I got a timeout from this forum in his last year, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate what he did for us. Since the beginning of Rupps career here, in 1930, UK has 8 championships. 8, in 84 years. That's 1 per decade folks. Rupp won 4 in 42 years. That's still one per decade. Tubby won 1 in ten years, so did Hall and Pitino. Tubby should be revered, not hated.
You can preach stats all you want, but what Tubby took over and where he took us are night and day. He was awful, and if he was at Duke or UNC, with those results, they wouldnt allow it either. We went from being a title contender every season (like we should), to hoping we just make the tourny. And the sad thing is, he left UK in shambles. He inherited a a ferrari and turned it into an old station wagon with wood trim. Tubby is a nice guy, but a bad hire for UK. If he never got hired at UK, people wouldnt even know who he is. The evidence is clear....middle, to lower of the pack, wherever he goes.

This post was edited on 1/6 1:40 PM by Louis_Skunt

This thread is about Tubby. If it weren't for Tubby, there wouldn't even BE any Tubby. Think about that for a second. Everything Tubby did is exactly what Tubby did. Tubby didn't do the stuff Tubby didn't do. There won't ever be a Tubby exactly like Tubby again. He was the only Tubby. He'll most likely continue to Tubby until he reTubbies. Then he might end up in the Hall of Tubby. That pretty much sums up all sides of the arguTubby.

Oh yes and of course the fact, that Minny never had a winning record in the Big 10 Conference in all the Tub years, why how can he be held accountable? He didn't have ten years to get that winning record and we know the Minny fans must be racists for firing him and not giving him 10 or maybe 12 years. It is just not fair!!!!!

So, in every thread you're trying to ensure that everyone remembers the bad of his tenure? That's BS and you know it. Every time his name comes up, a lot of people get some sort of sick pleasure out of taking cheap shots at him. It isn't as if there is ever a thread trying to get objective opinions on the good and the bad of his tenure. And anyone with half a brain can easily judge him based upon his record - it's not that hard.

People just somehow take pleasure in taking shots at one of our own. Should we also talk about the good and bad of others? From now on, perhaps every time Kenny Walker, Jack Givens, Joe B Hall, or countless others are mentioned someone should take shots at them as well then. Let's remember the good and bad so it never happens again!

He has been to FOUR Final Fours, 87, 96, 2003, and 2013. He has been to the tourney 30 times, and been past the Sweet 16 6 times in 30 attempts. I do not consider that a great coach. Anyone can rack up the wins if they coach almost 40 years...he is a good coach, but he is not what I consider a great coach.

Billy Donovan is a much better coach than Boeheim. He has been to Four Final Fours, won 2 titles, and has been past the Sweet 16 7 times in 14 tourney appearances. John Calipari is a much better coach than Boeheim. He has been to 5 Final Fours, won a title, and been past the Sweet 16 9 times in 15 appearances. Rick Pitino has been to 7 Final Fours, won 2 titles, and been past the Sweet 16 11 times in 18 tourney appearances.

So because Jimmy has coached a lot longer than the 3 other coaches I listed he is better than them or on their level? That is laughable to me.

ADVERTISEMENT