ADVERTISEMENT

Man look at the crowd at the TT v WV game

Cawood86

All-American
Feb 20, 2005
Looks like Ol' Tubby is really drawing the crowds at Texas Tech.

Texas is a football state. Ol Tub is just hiding out where people don't care how bad he coaches or recruits.

Standing room only when he promises to run more.
wink.r191677.gif

Tubby is a nice man and I will always appreciate the national championship he coached. But I am glad he is gone and Cal is here.

I agree. Coach Smith is a great guy and incredible person. I truly appreciate the National Championship he brought us and his consistency winning 25 (average) games per year. Tubby does not need the money at this point in his career, he is already rich from the money he made at UK. I think this Texas Tech job is to help set Saul up.

Originally posted by KYBallCoach:
I agree. Coach Smith is a great guy and incredible person. I truly appreciate the National Championship he brought us and his consistency winning 25 (average) games per year. Tubby does not need the money at this point in his career, he is already rich from the money he made at UK. I think this Texas Tech job is to help set Saul up.
Last I heard, Saul was their video coordinator. I'm not exactly sure how that gig is going to set him up unless he eventually is allowed to be an assistant coach. With his antics in Minny, that might take a while.

Tubby quit UK because he wanted to coach at a place with less pressure. Looks like he got exactly what he wanted.

Tubby has nine lives and he's now on number twelve

It's a shame that those people in Lubbock can't get out and support their team. I mean, it's not like there is a whole lot else to do tonight in that town.

And that arena is really, really nice....beautiful limestone exterior, modern on the inside with a huge food court like a mall, good-looking court and stand areas, chairback seats....SMH

I guess they come out for the women's games instead

I'll never understand bashing Tubby. Guy was all class and was extremely successful most of his tenure. I loved his time here and want him immortalized in the rafters for the job he did. He refused to bow down to the shoe companies and shady characters in AAU. Did that mean he should no longer coach at UK, definitely, but if anything reinforces the type of character he has. He won a national Championship and gave us one of the best seasons I can ever remember in 2003. I hope he catches lightning in a bottle and makes a final four run one year and rides off into the sunset. Tubby Smith is a true wildcat for life in my book.

Originally posted by KYBallCoach:
I agree. Coach Smith is a great guy and incredible person. I truly appreciate the National Championship he brought us and his consistency winning 25 (average) games per year. Tubby does not need the money at this point in his career, he is already rich from the money he stole from UK. I think this Texas Tech job is to help set Saul up.
Fixed it for ya!!

Lubbock is like the armpit of the armpit of West Texas. Why anyone would live there willingly is beyond me. And I LOVE Texas, have lots of friends/family who live there.

Heard that Saul got into some trouble down their.

Also have you checked out TT's OOC record? :-/
At Minny they used to play quite a few top teams in the OOC but they took those games out and installed a couple of big games with the rest being top tier cream puffs.

Originally posted by KumarCat:
I'll never understand bashing Tubby. Guy was all class and was extremely successful most of his tenure. I loved his time here and want him immortalized in the rafters for the job he did. He refused to bow down to the shoe companies and shady characters in AAU. Did that mean he should no longer coach at UK, definitely, but if anything reinforces the type of character he has. He won a national Championship and gave us one of the best seasons I can ever remember in 2003. I hope he catches lightning in a bottle and makes a final four run one year and rides off into the sunset. Tubby Smith is a true wildcat for life in my book.
sick0020.r191677.gif

Tubby was overpaid. There were many coaches who could recruit that could have done a better job than Tubby.

All available evidence indicates that Tubby Smith is a fine gentleman, a good husband and father, and a good citizen in whatever community he lives. All available evidence also indicates that Tubby Smith is a mediocre college basketball coach who had the good fortune -- the pure luck -- to take over the 1998 U.K. team that The Traitor Pitino prepared and coached into the national championship team that it became. It was obvious toward the end of the 1998 season that the players made a team decision that they were going to play the game the way Pitino had coached them to play it and basically ignore Tubby.

IMHO, the 1998 U.K. 'Cats won the national championship in spite of Tubby, and not because of any coaching that Tubby contributed. That's just MHO, of course -- but I think all available evidence subsequent to the 1998 season supports that conclusion.

20 years as a head coach--nary a player he recruited, signed and coached--has participated in a ncaa final four game.

20 years--ZERO players in the final four--for any team.

just another over paid coach.

daddyboydaul was not recruited--he just tagged along and caused Hawkins to get asthma.

rr

Originally posted by Ripcord65:
All available evidence indicates that Tubby Smith is a fine gentleman, a good husband and father, and a good citizen in whatever community he lives. All available evidence also indicates that Tubby Smith is a mediocre college basketball coach who had the good fortune -- the pure luck -- to take over the 1998 U.K. team that The Traitor Pitino prepared and coached into the national championship team that it became. It was obvious toward the end of the 1998 season that the players made a team decision that they were going to play the game the way Pitino had coached them to play it and basically ignore Tubby.

IMHO, the 1998 U.K. 'Cats won the national championship in spite of Tubby, and not because of any coaching that Tubby contributed. That's just MHO, of course -- but I think all available evidence subsequent to the 1998 season supports that conclusion.
All Tubby had to do was keep running the same system Pitino ran...and work hard in recruiting players to run it. That is all he had to do...and with the 98 season going the way it was he should have dominated in recruiting and made numerous Final Fours and won another title at least in 10 years....but he was too arrogant to run the system that worked and helped him get his title in 1998.

Tubby Smith is an above average coach who did an above average job at UK. People point to 25 wins a year...he also averaged 8.3 losses per year and lost 10 games 5/10 seasons here, with a 9 loss season thrown in as well. The guy could not get out of his own way most seasons...we had no shot at the national title in any season but 2003 after 1998. Thank about that for a second.

Spare me any other seasons...05 was not beating UNCheat in the Final Four if they had got there, 04 was not beating KU if they had got by UAB, 06 and 07 were just awful, 2002 lost to the eventual champs, 2001 lost to some mediocre USC team, and that spared Duke ripping them a new one in the Elite 8, and 2000 lost to a mediocre Syracuse team that spared us a beatdown by champion MSU in the Sweet 16...and 99 lost to Michigan State in the Elite 8 and that saved them a loss to Duke in the Final Four. My point is...even if Tubby had gotten us a round further most years...he was not good enough and did not recruit good enough to compete with the elite teams that won titles those years. Hell, he could not even beat the prerequisite teams to get to play those type teams most seasons.

Even worse, Tubby actually had TWO team turmoils on his watch. Ran a disorganized shop and always took care of friends first instead of the program.

Tubby has taken 4 schools to the NCAA tourney, Tulsa, Georgia, UK, and Minnesota. 5 if he gets Texas Tech to the dance in a couple of years, only UK was an established power. Tulsa, Georgia, and Minnesota were garbage heaps when he took over, and got them all in the tourney within 2 or 3 years.
Bottom line Tubby is a very good, not great, coach who has had a solid career as a HC, and has been a gentleman who also ran clean programs.

Originally posted by CloverforkCat:
Tubby has taken 4 schools to the NCAA tourney, Tulsa, Georgia, UK, and Minnesota. 5 if he gets Texas Tech to the dance in a couple of years, only UK was an established power. Tulsa, Georgia, and Minnesota were garbage heaps when he took over, and got them all in the tourney within 2 or 3 years.
Bottom line Tubby is a very good, not great, coach who has had a solid career as a HC, and has been a gentleman who also ran clean programs.
Very Good? Give me a break. Jim Boeheim is a very good, not great, coach. He is often overrated as a great coach, but he is simply a very good coach, who I believe has only been past the Sweet 16 6 times in 30 NCAA Tourney Appearances.

I guess you just have a different definition of very good coach than some of us.

Another Tubby thread, yay. He left right years ago, right? Kentucky fans is to Tubby as Louisville fans are to Kentucky in terms of obsession.

Originally posted by lakercat:
Another Tubby thread, yay. He left right years ago, right? Kentucky fans is to Tubby as Louisville fans are to Kentucky in terms of obsession.
Somebody didn't get their nap today?

Tubby wanted to be our Jim Boeheim...UK to be his Syracuse.

Tubby was to UK what Mike Brown is to the Bengals...just be competitive in conference, teasing in post season but never a NC threat. Going from almost great to great is twice the work.

The fact that Minny had enough of Tubby should have settled this argument forever.

Originally posted by MakinMusic:
Smith didn't quit. He was given two options. Both of the options were him leaving.
Thanks, God. Since you know everything, how about the lottery numbers?

Originally posted by Ripcord65:

Pretty much nailed it. If not for UK, Tubs would be a poor mans Lon Krueger. Bouncing around, losing 12 games a year with a occasional trip to the 2nd round of the NCAA tourny.

Originally posted by *Bleedingblue*:
Heard that Saul got into some trouble down their.

Also have you checked out TT's OOC record? :-/
At Minny they used to play quite a few top teams in the OOC but they took those games out and installed a couple of big games with the rest being top tier cream puffs.
Didn't hear about Saul. What happened?

Originally posted by CloverforkCat:
Very good coach?? You have standards like Morehead State. Since when is taking over a major program and just getting them into the top 65 something very good?

Lots of coaches are very good, Tubby is not. Would he have won a title if not for UK? Absolutely not. Evidence and time have shown that. 2nd round of the tourny is where he stops, and thats on a stellar year.

"20 years as a head coach--nary a player he recruited, signed and coached--has participated in a ncaa final four game.

20 years--ZERO players in the final four--for any team."

I imagine this would put him in a vast majority, while of course, you were suggesting quite the opposite. Of course it would have to say recruited, signed and coached. He did recruit Draymond GReen who was coming to UK .. now whether or not those UK teams would have made the FF we'll never know. But you can probably think of some other negative stats about Tubby if you'll just try a little harder
frown.r191677.gif

Originally posted by 83Cat:
I would have rather kept Tubby VS the drunkard, and then jumped right to Cal from there.
I wouldve rather passed on Tubby and grabbed someone else, anyone. With Pitino in Boston, Billy D wouldve come to UK and Lord only knows how many titles we wouldve won.

The fact that the very mention of Tubby stirs up discussion still, tells you all you need to know.

If it were cut-and-dry that he was an excellent or horrible leader for this program during his time here, a random thread on the Internet 9 years after he left wouldn't contain this type of dialogue.

Basically, its just not that simple. I'd rank him 5th out of coaches we've had in the modern era (from Rupp forward). I think most people would.

I get really frustratedcat the Tubby haters on here who continue to beat their drum. I wanted Tubby gone so bad I got a timeout from this forum in his last year, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate what he did for us. Since the beginning of Rupps career here, in 1930, UK has 8 championships. 8, in 84 years. That's 1 per decade folks. Rupp won 4 in 42 years. That's still one per decade. Tubby won 1 in ten years, so did Hall and Pitino. Tubby should be revered, not hated.

Originally posted by Raroyder:
The fact that the very mention of Tubby stirs up discussion still, tells you all you need to know.

If it were cut-and-dry that he was an excellent or horrible leader for this program during his time here, a random thread on the Internet 9 years after he left wouldn't contain this type of dialogue.

Basically, its just not that simple. I'd rank him 5th out of coaches we've had in the modern era (from Rupp forward). I think most people would.
1. Rupp
2. Cal
3. Pitino
4. Hall
5. Smith
6. Sutton
7. He who shall not be named.

It is all pretty cut and dry (to me at least) except for 2 and 3. I am very confident Cal gets that 2nd title this year which blows Pitino away with one more title and Final Four. It's a shame DA got hurt in 97 or we'd have another, but injuries are part of the game. I'd have no issue with someone wanting to rank Pitino 2 or 2A/2B as of now...but to me Cal has passed him already IMO.

Tubby coaching staff includes Saul, of course, and our own Derrick Jasper as well as former UofL asst. Vince Taylor

Bizarre...

Never understand why people spend energy bashing a former coach that won a national title. It's been nearly 10 years since he left, people need to get over it.

ADVERTISEMENT