ADVERTISEMENT

Malachi Moreno to announce commitment on Friday at 11 am

kentucky-basketball.gif

Pope needed to get Johnson, which doesn't seem likely at this point so he sure as hell better get Moreno.
Give me a effing break with these troll posts. Please explain if by chance he doesn't get either one. What in the world is going to happen>.... Not one damn thing... Some of you guys need to change your whole philosophy / thinking of how recruiting at University of Kentucky will be moving forward. We will not be held hostage by some unproven 18 year old high school kid
. If they want to come here then so be it.. These posts just crack me up

Moreno would be a cornerstone recruiting piece for many top 25-ish programs. He's a local kid, so we may overlook it, but let's remember that if he commits here. Regardlesss, would be a really good start to what looks like a possible top 5 recruiting class.

As for Johnson, I'm not convinced Acaden Lewis or Braylon Mullins are any worse. Shooting guard in a point guards body that is hot or cold from 3 and models his game after D'Angelo Russell. Has a lot of talent, but if he wasn't from Kentucky - who would care if he went elsewhere?

Like to get Jasper. His whole family is UK family.

If he goes to Oats he becomes immediately unlikable and has the appearance of turning his back on UK when they need him. Starting over. Doubt he is ever celebrated in Ky again. Kinda like Damien Harris.

Don’t want that for Jasper and his family with their bright UK history.

He’s gonna play a bunch at UK. Be a Ky hero. Everybody will be behind him here as a hometown guy. We love those guys. Build a future here.

We’re gonna be back on top soon. Be part of that uprising unless your path is solely one and done and nil amount.

I’ll be surprised and disappointed if JJ goes elsewhere but UK will survive and flourish

Who was the head men’s coach when you started following UK basketball?
Not sure why that's relevant, other than I am sure you are going to tell me why you are a better UK fan than I am; but the end of Joe B/beginning of Sutton is when I first remember watching UK games.

He's be a nice third frontcourt piece behind Garrison and another portal next year.

Somehow pull the sweep and get Johnson, and Pope would have the foundation to a solid team next year with Oweh, Chandler, Noah, Garrison, and Perry all back.
This will be fantastic. I'm guessing Moreno will help Garrison man the Center spot next season. That's how freshmen can generally help a team compete for a title. I almost hesitate to say Moreno will be the backup to Garrison, because it seems Pope's history suggests a 2nd unit guy can play close to the same minutes. But with a freshman (as opposed to the situation this season with Williams and Garrison, for example), he probably learns and develops at something less than 20 min./game. That's perfect for continuity and building contenders (statistically, returning players are most important to building contenders, not OAD freshmen or even transfers).

If you're right that all the guys that can return next season do (fingers crossed), I'm thinking a top PF from the portal and a freshman PF (preferably multiple year guy), plus maybe a skilled tweener, will set the frontcourt.

Like to get Jasper. His whole family is UK family.

If he goes to Oats he becomes immediately unlikable and has the appearance of turning his back on UK when they need him. Starting over. Doubt he is ever celebrated in Ky again. Kinda like Damien Harris.

Don’t want that for Jasper and his family with their bright UK history.

He’s gonna play a bunch at UK. Be a Ky hero. Everybody will be behind him here as a hometown guy. We love those guys. Build a future here.

We’re gonna be back on top soon. Be part of that uprising unless your path is solely one and done and nil amount.

I’ll be surprised and disappointed if JJ goes elsewhere but UK will survive and flourish
And, if you think about it, coming to UK is arguably really in his long-term best interest - at least monetarily. If UK has the biggest/most rabid fan base, and you combine that with a player being from the state, that just naturally expands the "legitimate" NIL base (marketing and other opportunities) - and not just in today dollars, but in the longevity of the opportunities presented over a lifetime.

I agree that Johnson is not a "must get", but he helps optically.
I think it's important for UK to get most of the top guys from in-state. Of course, I mean guys that project to be good enough (including athletically) to play at UK's level. Those guys hold more value for the program than a similar player from outside the state. For one thing, I think from an NIL perspective in-state guys are more likely to stay for a 2nd year or more because the NIL opportunities will likely be increased for in-state guys, all else being equal. Plus, maybe there is still something to the attraction/pull of playing for UK from in-state guys.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Not sure why that's relevant, other than I am sure you are going to tell me why you are a better UK fan than I am; but the end of Joe B/beginning of Sutton is when I first remember watching UK games.
No intention to tell you or anybody else that I am a better fan than anybody else. I was just curious based on your responses. Did not mean to offend.

I think we all know why it’s happening Friday. Conveniently before Jasper will be announcing…

Smart PR from Pope so the recruiting chatter that was going to grow louder with JJ going to Bama ceases.
Hopefully that won’t be the case and we nab them both. I honestly don’t know what to think because we have not been in these battles yet,

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I don’t follow recruiting that much, so, I didn’t realize he was the #1 center. That would be a great get for Pope to start the next class. Shows he can land an elite guy, and keep him home.

Reactions: G-PIP
Read some posts this will help Pope land the Mullins kid; arguably the best shooter in the class.
They were teammates on Indiana Elite AAU. Travis Perry was also a part of the Indiana Elite program a year older obviously, but I would assume there’s some relationship there as well.

He's be a nice third frontcourt piece behind Garrison and another portal next year.

Somehow pull the sweep and get Johnson, and Pope would have the foundation to a solid team next year with Oweh, Chandler, Noah, Garrison, and Perry all back.
I’m hoping he is the fourth piece.

I’d like to see Garrison as our 5, a really good stretch 4 from the portal and maybe a solid backup 4/5 from the portal, with Moreno as our backup 5. I see Moreno as a 10 or so minutes a game backup as a Freshman

Moreno is still raw. I think he will need a year or two to become a big time contributor.

Hopefully that won’t be the case and we nab them both. I honestly don’t know what to think because we have not been in these battles yet,
Moreno + Johnson in August sends BBN to Cloud 9 in a hurry. Would be a pleasant surprise if we nabbed them both.

Reactions: true blue1
I agree that Johnson is not a "must get", but he helps optically.
Agreed.

I really want him. He’s a legacy. He’s a Kentucky kid. I really want us to get everyone of those types that we can, if they can play at this level.

But it’s not the end of the world if we don’t get him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT