ADVERTISEMENT

Make a 7-man rotation with one player from each coach…

jrpross

All-American
Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
…starting with Rupp. I figured we needed an off-season activity to keep us busy with UK related stuff 😁

Rupp: Dan Issel
Hall: Kyle Macy
Sutton: Rex Chapman
Pitino: Jamal Mashburn
Smith: Tayshaun Prince
Gillispie: Jodie Meeks
Cal: Anthony Davis

That gives you 2 all-American post players that can step out if needed, 2 versatile forwards who can play and defend the 3 or 4, and 3 sharp-shooter guards, 2 of which can play the point. Aright, now show me what you got…

Well, the best player from the Sutton era was Kenny Walker, not Rex. But I get the choice if it’s because we need a guard there to make the rotation work.

Other than that one tiny quibble, your list looks about right to me.

…starting with Rupp. I figured we needed an off-season activity to keep us busy with UK related stuff 😁

That gives you 2 all-American post players that can step out if needed, 2 versatile forwards who can play and defend the 3 or 4, and 3 sharp-shooter guards, 2 of which can play the point. Aright, now show me what you got…
I think you nailed it, man. Good list.

Good list, OP.

I’m going to try to be a little different:

Starters

G Rondo(Smith)
G Givens(Hall)
F Mashburn(Pitino)
F Issel(Rupp)
F Davis(Calipari)

Reaerves

G Chapman(Sutton)
F Patterson(Gillispie)

I wanted Goose in there instead of Macy, so I needed a PG, so I traded Prince in for Rondo.

Then to give us some size off the bench, I went with PPat instead of Meeks.

I made Chapman my sixth man, so if we need more shooting I can go with Chapman, Goose, and Mash on the wings and either AD or Issel inside.

Chapman can also run the Point at times when Rondo needs a short breather.

I’d use PPat mainly when we are in foul trouble. I would want to keep Mash, Issel, and AD on the floor as much as possible.

G: Wall (Cal)
G: Givens (Hall)
F: Prince (Smith)
F: Mashburn (Pitino)
C: Issel (Rupp)

Bench:
Chapman (Sutton)
Patterson (Gillispie)

Reactions: bucsrule8872
Starters

G Rondo(Smith)
G Givens(Hall)
F Mashburn(Pitino)
F Issel(Rupp)
F Davis(Cal
G: Wall (Cal)
G: Givens (Hall)
F: Prince (Smith)
F: Mashburn (Pitino)
C: Issel (Rupp)
These two lineups are ignoring the fact that Givens was in no way whatsoever a guard. He never played guard at UK, and his inability to convert to guard is the reason why he was a bust in the NBA. So it kinda seems like cheating to try to sneak him in at the wrong position here.

Also, the college version of Rondo ain't deserving of a spot. Yes, I know what he later became as a pro, but aren't these games supposed to be about who they were at UK?

Last edited:
These two lineups are ignoring the fact that Givens was in no way whatsoever a guard. He never played guard at UK, and his inability to convert to guard is the reason why he was a bust in the NBA. So it kinda seems like cheating to try to sneak him in at the wrong position here.

Also, the college version of Rondo ain't deserving of a spot. Yes, I know what he later became as a pro, but aren't these games supposed to be about who they were at UK?
It’s positionless basketball. I’m trying to get the best players on the floor.

Also, I’m playing Goose at the 2 and 3 spots, which in my system are interchangeable.

And Rondo will get the job done.

I guarantee this team wins the title. LOL!

If you want, I could start Chapman at the 2, instead of Goose?

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
Good list, OP.

I’m going to try to be a little different:

Starters

G Rondo(Smith)
G Givens(Hall)
F Mashburn(Pitino)
F Issel(Rupp)
F Davis(Calipari)

Reaerves

G Chapman(Sutton)
F Patterson(Gillispie)

I wanted Goose in there instead of Macy, so I needed a PG, so I traded Prince in for Rondo.

Then to give us some size off the bench, I went with PPat instead of Meeks.

I made Chapman my sixth man, so if we need more shooting I can go with Chapman, Goose, and Mash on the wings and either AD or Issel inside.

Chapman can also run the Point at times when Rondo needs a short breather.

I’d use PPat mainly when we are in foul trouble. I would want to keep Mash, Issel, and AD on the floor as much as possible.
This is the most logical conclusion imo. Some guys are better but they may not fit. I feel like mashburn and davis have to be on the list. Probably issel too so then from the other coaches build around those guys. Nice job

I haven't looked at others' lists yet, but I can't imagine there being a lot of variation in them:
Issel
Macy
Chapman
Mashburn
Tayshaun
Liggins
Davis

• Love
Reactions: Fox2monk
Dan Issel- Rupp
AD- Cal
Rex Chapman- Sutton
Wayne Turner- Tubby
Ron Mercer/Anderson can’t decide - Pitino
Jodie Meeks- BCG
Kenny Walker- Hall
My thoughts are huge interior that rebounds and blocks shots. Super athletic all around. Turner is a proto PG who can get a bucket on anyone. Shooters in Meeks and Chapman. Mercer or Anderson are probably the best forwards I’ve seen honestly. Anderson is my favorite but Mercer was ridiculous in college. Kenny Walker is the best bench big man ever lol. If I’m honest Mashburn deserves the Forward spot but I wanted a little different and Mercer is always overlooked IMO because of Monster Mash as the best forward.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
Issel
Bowie
Davis
Delk
Wall

That team runs everyone off the floor
Can you imagine Bowie n Davis together. They were basically the same player

Issel
Bowie
Davis
Delk
Wall

That team would be killer on the boards and probably killer on defense, but only has one three point shooter. That team faces a zone every single time down the floor.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Issel
Bowie
Davis
Delk
Wall

Bowie, AD and Issel in the same lineup? Man, you’re going with the three center triple tower look.

Although that is kinda what Joe B did in 84 …and it worked well for a while.

Reactions: jrpross
That’s the problem. They’d be stepping all over each other.

You only need one rim protector in the paint. More than one can mess things up. Spacing matters.

G Macy (Hall)
G Meeks (Gillespie)
F Prince (Smith)
F Issel (Rupps)
C Davis (Cal)

6 Anderson (Pitino)
7 Walker (Sutton)

Reactions: UK90
G Macy (Hall)
G Meeks (Gillespie)
F Prince (Smith)
F Issel (Rupps)
C Davis (Cal)

6 Anderson (Pitino)
7 Walker (Sutton)
I’d take Delk over DA as the third guard. But, otherwise, I think this is my list too. I’ve never been a big Rex guy, so I’ve no problem cutting him out.

Although it is really hard leaving Mashburn out …but, hey, gotta make tough choices when you only get one per coach.

I’d take Delk over DA as the third guard. But, otherwise, I think this is my list too. I’ve never been a big Rex guy, so I’ve no problem cutting him out.

Although it is really hard leaving Mashburn out …but, hey, gotta make tough choices when you only get one per coach.
I think it features the best player each coach ever had.

Best offensive player. DA was his best overall, IMHO.
With all due respect, your humble opinion is wrong.

Mash's third season might be the best all-around that I've seen any UK player have. The only reason he didn't win the NPOY awards is because Calbert Cheaney was a true senior who had an equally astoundingly good season. And the next best player Pitino had was the senior year version of Tony Delk ...Delk did everything right that season, both offensively and defensively.

After that it's debatable ...but a debate that, yes, might be led with DA.

With all due respect, your humble opinion is wrong.

Mash's third season might be the best all-around that I've seen any UK player have. The only reason he didn't win the NPOY awards is because Calbert Cheaney was a true senior who had an equally astoundingly good season. And the next best player Pitino had was the senior year version of Tony Delk ...Delk did everything right that season, both offensively and defensively.

After that it's debatable ...but a debate that, yes, might be led with DA.
Did you ever see Mashburn play above average defense? Don't get me wrong. I loved Mashburn. When he was on it was a thing of beauty., and he made us unstoppable. But there's a reason Pat Riley asked him to get into a defensive stance when the Heat traded for him and Riley met him at the airport. He fouled out of both the Duke and Michigan losses. He was serviceable on defense. DA was a dawg on both ends.

Great list. I’ll make one trade to give a different look:

Sutton: Kenny Walker
Pitino: Tony Delk
This probably makes the OP perfect imo.

Only alternative to Delk/Walker is to find a way to shift the other picks make either Wall or Rondo at point for the speed and length factor. Just need to make sure both wings are high end shooters and the 4 is capable

That’s the problem. They’d be stepping all over each other.

You only need one rim protector in the paint. More than one can mess things up. Spacing matters.
Yea ok
Nobody would score on a team with those 2. 7'5 wingspans that can guard out on the floor

G Kyle Macy - Coach Hall
G Jodie Meeks - Coach Gillispie
F Jamal Mashburn - Coach Pitino
F Dan Issel - Coach Rupp
C Anthony Davis - Coach Cal

Bench
F Tayshaun Prince - Coach Smith
G Rex Chapman - Eddie Sutton

I would choose Cotton Nash for Rupp, Kevin Grevey for Hall, Derrick Miller for Sutton, Mashburn for Pitino, Gerald Fitch for Tubby, Meeks for Gillispie and Boogie for Cal.

Reactions: chroix

Hall: Jack Givens
Smith: Rajon Rondo
Gillispie: Patrick Patterson

G Kyle Macy - Coach Hall
G Jodie Meeks - Coach Gillispie
F Jamal Mashburn - Coach Pitino
F Dan Issel - Coach Rupp
C Anthony Davis - Coach Cal

Bench
F Tayshaun Prince - Coach Smith
G Rex Chapman - Eddie Sutton
I start Chapman over Meeks every single game.

Prince is my sixth man.

Meeks is the weakest link on that team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT