ADVERTISEMENT

Football Mailbag answers (Part I)

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
With Kentucky's regular season almost over and the Wildcats the heavy favorite to win this weekend against the lone FCS opponent on the schedule, it's a good time to pause and take some questions on UK football and recruiting.

Plenty of topics are addressed below.

This will be divided into Part I and Part II because of the volume of questions posed. Part I is here below.

Bryguy: What is your honest opinion on weather Stoops goes/stays at UK or heads to FSU?

That’s the first ? that came to mind.

I think the most likely outcome is that he does not leave Lexington for Florida State in this coaching search. That is playing the odds. He's not the only candidate they are considering so that lessens the likelihood of him leaving. However, if FSU fixes their sights on Stoops as their No. 1 target at any point, I would probably start to worry.

JSDC: Curious to know if you think or have heard any discussion about how what UK is currently doing with the offense may carry over to next?

An interesting question but my assumption is that they are going to go back to what the plan was coming into the season and what it was the first two weeks of the season. I'm not sure how much of the Bowden stuff translates at all. I have liked the look of two running backs, Smoke and C-Rod, in the backfield. That's something that could be interesting moving forward. The bigger effect might be how the changing playing time helps next year's team. Clevan Thomas has been thrust into a lot more action at slot with Bowden at quarterback and he's going to take on a bigger role next year.

Robcatt24: Chances that UK's recruiting class finishes in the top half of the SEC?

Kentucky is in a great position to finish stronger than ever given the number of four-star players still on the board, who they still have a great shot with, and the fact that the class is No. 24 nationally in spite of having fewer commitments than every program ranked ahead. The SEC is a recruiting juggernaut, so UK's class is currently ranked No. 11. But I think there is a chance for Kentucky to ultimately pass Ole Miss, Mississippi State, South Carolina, and even Tennessee. That would put them at 7th out of 14. Not sure if I would predict it but the potential is definitely there.

Littlefeller: Can you respond about Wayne Co’s RB Sloan?

Believe you are talking about Class of 2021 prospect Braedon Sloan (6'0, 185). He's been a big time producer at the high school level for two years now but is someone the staff hasn't pulled the trigger on in terms of an offer. I suspect he will have more chances with the spring evaluation period and the summer camp season. I believe he will be an FBS player, just not sure Power Five yet. Someone to pay attention to for sure.

jcrowe10: Are there any kickers throughout the state that may receive a preferred walk-on offer?

I haven't heard anything about that but wouldn't rule out the addition of someone to the kicking competition.

jsaonlong17: What’s Kentucky’s next move in terms of inside linebackers. Does someone from outside move in ?

No, I don't believe anyone moves from outside to the inside. Next year there will be three experienced players filling two spots in DeAndre Square, Chris Oats, and Jamin Davis, the last of which has played well in his first real duty this season. D'Eryk Jackson is probably a redshirt guy in a best case scenario. There was some talk they could add another inside 'backer but it has not been a priority which speaks to their feeling that the depth there is okay for now. Tra Wilkins can play inside. It does appear the outside depth is better. I'd expect them to take a couple of inside guys in the next class, when you are recruiting to replace Square and Oats in two more seasons.

JDHoss: I'm watching Deerfield Beach vs Vero Beach tomorrow night. Is there anyone in the lower classes at Deerfield that has mutual UK interest? Deerfield has several seniors with multiple P5 offers or commits, but none interested in UK that I'm aware of. Vero junior DE/LB Keanu Koht is a really nice player with Miami and Auburn offers. Wonder if UK has any interest? I've seen him 4 times now. He needs weight and is maybe 210 now at 6'3 or 6'4. Big motor and really quick though.

Usually with the younger guys from those south Florida schools their introduction to the staff will come when they're on that Beach Boy tour of colleges over the summer, but I'm not sure they made it to Kentucky this year. It does seem like there has been less of an emphasis on South Florida guys lately in recruiting. On Koht specifically, I know he is one of the players that Darin Hinshaw knows about and has had some level of interest in. How much, we'll see moving forward. (I meant to respond to your earlier message but got sidetracked and forgot, apologies!).

Robcatt24: What has happened with Tyrell Ajian?

He played a ton in Kentucky's first five games of the season but from the midway point on it has really fallen off. It appears that others have mostly overtaken him, with Quandre Mosely in particular playing more. Ajian did see 35 snaps against Vanderbilt, but that was because the backups (where he is playing now) got more run than the starters. UK has a lot of young, talented depth in the secondary so they are going to hold a high standard for him. It would be helpful if he bounces back at the end of this year and next, because he is one of the more versatile defensive backs they have when he's playing well. He's seen a lot of time at the slot and wide corner spots, free safety, and has come down in the box a good bit.

Corbin_Creeper: What's up with Kash this season? And I don't mean from a production standpoint. He is.....quiet? Does this stem some from the "incident" earlier in the season or perhaps he is realizing some of last year's missing talent was making him look better than he really is?

I have watched the "Legends" commercial they showed during the Super Bowl a few times and have not really seen that fire this season.

It hasn't been quite the senior year a lot of people expected for him. There was the suspension, the injury, and I don't really want to speculate on distractions or anything like that because it wouldn't be based on anything concrete. I will say, I've noticed a lot of fans have turned on him on social media and elsewhere and I think that is unfortunate.

graycladcat: Does UK break the top 20-25 this yr in Rivals.

I would be very surprised if they don't. It's more likely they crack the top 20 than it is for them to fall outside the top 25 in my opinion.

gobigblue812: How many current scholarships will be open via SR class, guys already in the transfer portal, walk ons with scholarships, and maybe early draft entries (Bowden)? Can/will we take a full class of 25?

If I had to guess I would say they come up just short of filling the max allotment of 25, but they come close to it. I'd suspect they add about seven more players before it's all said and done, maybe not all in the early signing period.

MorganNewtonFan: Any transfer rumblings for current players?

Someone posted that Alabama is contacting Drake Jackson trying to get him to grad transfer, any truth to that? And/orAny players other than Gatewood in the transfer portal that we’re involved with?

Nothing serious enough to mention. Earlier this year there was talk that JJ Weaver was having some thoughts but nothing came of that and his excellent play of late makes that much less likely, you'd have to think. If you want to speculate, just look at the players going into their sophomore or junior seasons who seem to be buried on the depth chart. That is usually a pretty telling view. Gatewood is the main one that things have gotten serious with but the staff is always monitoring the portal. Fortunately, UK is in a position where they aren't looking to plug a lot of places of serious need because they return so much next year.

wildcatdww007: Does Beau Allen have what it takes to be a 1st to 3rd round pick if the stars align (i.e. no injuries) when he leaves UK?

I would say any four-star quarterback has the "raw stuff" to make that happen but the stars really do have to align because there are a lot of four-star quarterbacks eligible in any given draft class and very few end up picked in the first three rounds. I like Allen's accuracy, his release, his intangibles, the fact that he's gotten bigger, and his improved arm strength. He can continue to get bigger and stronger.

ksp921: With Terry coming back from an injury, and not playing in the spring, and Smith not exactly being a valuable back up, what are the plans for quarterback next season? Is there either a redshirt freshman or true freshman that is a viable candidate for back up to Terry?

It's always a work in progress and impossible to predict, isn't it? That's just how the position is these days.

Right now it looks like Terry Wilson is the starter barring a setback between now and the start of next season. Not being ready for the spring leaves open the possibility that rehab drags on and becomes a real issue going into fall camp. But he is the most likely No. 1 next year and it would be a fairly open competition between Sawyer Smith, Amani Gilmore, Walker Wood, Nik Scalzo, and Beau Allen. It's possible that Smith is again No. 2 going into next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.