ADVERTISEMENT

Lynn Bowden

Jul 26, 2003
Going to play his last basketball game in the KY vs OH game. Could have easily played D1 basketball. Anyone going to watch him? Hope he isn't injury prone in football because he sounds like he will be totally explosive.

All I know is that I'm predicting him too be our All-Purpose Yards leader this upcoming season.

Should Kick Return, Punt Return, Wildcat, RB and WR.... Kid can do it all.

Reactions: Smashcat
All I know is that I'm predicting him too be our All-Purpose Yards leader this upcoming season.

Is probably UK's most versatile player since Raffy Little.

Potentially could be better than Cobb. Either way, he is the legit multi dimension game changer KY has been missing since Randall left. MAJOR recruiting victory for KY.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
Seems like every time we get this pumped about anyone they never make the field or it's like Elam/ Hatcher/ A. Boyd. He has the best highlight video of anyone I've watched that committed to us. Just seems too good to be true.

Seems like every time we get this pumped about anyone they never make the field or it's like Elam/ Hatcher/ A. Boyd. He has the best highlight video of anyone I've watched that committed to us. Just seems too good to be true.

I think fans have a tendency to expect too much from highly recruited freshmen. Cobb was an anomaly. I can still recall statements coming from Brooks and other coaches when he first got here about what a high football IQ he had, how quickly he picked up everything and how developed he was a freshmen. Brooks said words to the effect that he was the most D1 ready freshmen he had every coached.

Bowden has had some high praise from those in the know of having some similar traits, it will be interesting to see how the young man develops and where they decide to play him. My bet is he will concentrate on running back as that is our greatest need right now.

I think fans have a tendency to expect too much from highly recruited freshmen. Cobb was an anomaly. I can still recall statements coming from Brooks and other coaches when he first got here about what a high football IQ he had, how quickly he picked up everything and how developed he was a freshmen. Brooks said words to the effect that he was the most D1 ready freshmen he had every coached.

Bowden has had some high praise from those in the know of having some similar traits, it will be interesting to see how the young man develops and where they decide to play him. My bet is he will concentrate on running back as that is our greatest need right now.

Every fanbase does it. We siigned a heck of a class in Feb., outside of OL, don't think we have a starter in the class. Maybe not the first game, but at least 2 of the OL will be frosh by mid season, but could start game one. How quick they adapt to college and SEC will determine our season, defense returns 10 starters and should be pretty stout, but if you can't move the ball and score some points you can't win.

Reactions: cat888
During much of the recruitment, it was reported often that he might play slot.

I hope he doesn't move to slot. A guy that dynamic needs the ball in his hands more than 8-10 times a game. That can be his "spot" but i hope they motion him all over the field, get him the ball in space, run the option, etc. This guy will need to touch the ball a lot, or he will be wasted.

I remain convinced that he will see less time at WR than most are expecting. I believe his primary role will be the Wildcat back and he will essentially share QB duties with Johnson. Basically what Cobb was his soph year.

Hate to say it, but one key difference is that the players you reference are all from Kentucky and played KY talent in high school.

Bowden was widely considered the best (or at worst, most athletic) player in Ohio last year, and most Youngstown area coaches said "ever" in that particular area (i.e., Clarrett, Manningham, etc.). The coaching comments were telling...the kid is electric.

Not sure how long it will take him to pick up or mature into the college game though, it's unfair to suggest that it will be immediate.

Hate to say it, but one key difference is that the players you reference are all from Kentucky and played KY talent in high school.

Bowden was widely considered the best (or at worst, most athletic) player in Ohio last year, and most Youngstown area coaches said "ever" in that particular area (i.e., Clarrett, Manningham, etc.). The coaching comments were telling...the kid is electric.

Not sure how long it will take him to pick up or mature into the college game though, it's unfair to suggest that it will be immediate.
I agree.. I hate too say it but Kentucky talent compared too Ohio talent is no where near close.

If Hatcher could've kept himself out of trouble, I think he would've panned out but Elam and espeically Boyd were busts. There are a few diamonds in the rough coming out of KY. Some we land (Landon Young, Drake Jackson, etc) and some we let slip out of our hands (Harris and Wills)

Reactions: Cazwheel1072
Comparing to any high schooler to Cobb is risky. I hope it to be true, but we have not seen many like him.

Let it be known, I did not compare Cobb to Bowden... just reminded that there was a more versatile player on our roster after Rafael Little.

PSS. Coaches raved about Snells ability to pick up pass blocking and high IQ last year. Perhaps that's the single indication that a frosh will play... the ones that don't give coaches agida.

He'll get about 10-15 touches a game.

I'd say KR, PR, RB/Wildcat and WR.

you really think he can learn of that in 4 weeks?

I don't think the wildcat will be hard to learn due to his QB experience. I think he will practice and play slot and then have certain packages at the other spots.

I'm not gonna say he will be better than Cobb, Cobb is arguably the greatest UK football player ever. If Bowden ends up better than Cobb, Bowden will almost certainly go down as the GOAT because he probably smashed almost every record there is.

I think he will be very much like Cobb though. Very electric player that we haven't had since Cobb.

Reactions: jauk11
As awesome as Benny played, it took a few games for him to get many snaps at RB.

True. And in his first game against NMS, while he shone with the ball in his hands, when expected to block, etc., he frequently got a little lost. And, frankly, he made a couple of bad cuts carrying the ball, just to then smash the NMS Aggie and a blocker or two who were in his way.

At the QB Club meeting after the NMS game, Coach Gran played lot of film, but not the "Oh My God" 4 yard TD rush by Benny Snell through 7 Aggies.

I asked Coach Gran why that play had not made the reel for the evening.

He said, "it's because we blocked no one on that play."

I replied, "Snell blocked 7 of them two yards deep into the endzone."

Man I miss Little. Dude just glided on the field and oozed confidence.

I loved Little as a player but I got to like him even more as a UK fan. A couple of years after he left, he was walking with us to the parking lot after a terrible game and we were discussing what things needed to be changed and improved on, when about halfway, this disgruntled UK fan started mouthing about how bad the players sucked and on and on. I told him that getting personal wasn't in good taste but he disagreed and finally Little decked him and went to his car. The guy sat there and said who does he think he is, and I said "a very good ex UK football player. "

Last edited:
you really think he can learn all of that in 4 weeks?
I think KR/PR/WC are all pretty much instinct ex passing from WC. As for WC passing & WR, I think he can get 3-5 routes for each down in that time & starting out that will be enough for a while. JMO.

got to think they will get him a playbook and if he does come down for visits here and there surely one of the guys will help him out with learning slot routes. i dont see him showing up in the fall with 0 knowledge of our offense and his roll in it. all that would be on him to put in the work though. so its up to him.

Comparing to any high schooler to Cobb is risky. I hope it to be true, but we have not seen many like him.

Agree. Cobb was/is special. He probably helped Phill Gilmer loose his job. Just down the road from Knoxville and Phill did not offer him until the last minute.

Siheim King's highlight films were pretty incredible, also. Hopefully, he will have a break-out year this season.

Agree. Cobb was/is special. He probably helped Phill Gilmer loose his job. Just down the road from Knoxville and Phill did not offer him until the last minute.

That is a coaching staff that is not evaluating talent. Don't you think SOMEBODY mentioned Cobb? My gosh, when UK gets a commitment, you would think that someone on your staff would immediately reach out to a high school coach and ask, "Did we miss something?" I remember fearing that Cobb would flip, kind of like we are doing with Williams. Some kids are not typical and they trust loyalty and respect the early identification of their talent. Cobb made a big name for himself at UK. He deserved that name and would have done so wherever he went. But, I give the UK staff credit. They knew they needed to get Cobb on the field early. Kind of like the current staff did with Snell.

They were recruiting him the entire time as a WR and offered late. He wanted to play QB and we offered him that.

My impressions of Cobb's recruitment at the time from my failing memory, so don't ask me to document any of it.

Cobb wanted an offer from Thug U, understandable growing up there. They were used to offering four and five stars at the time, although they did take three two stars in 08 (while UK took 11 out of 20 commits that year) and he was a two star until they offered him late-------in fact I think he would have probably remained a two star without their late offer, a UK offer didn't mean much at the time. By then he had formed relationships and believed the UK staff and showed his character and loyalty (increasingly rare these days, IMO) by honoring his commitment to UK..

My only fault with Cobb, a real difference maker, is that he probably delayed the fan revolt by three or four years, LOL. My prediction is that Bowden will be a great player for UK but will not have nearly as much of an impact on our program because he will have a ton of other good players sharing the spotlight, which Cobb had mainly by himself.

When are Coaches able to give kids the playbooks to study? Since Bowden is still enrolled in high school is he privy to the playbook yet or does he have to be enrolled at UK?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT