ADVERTISEMENT

Looking ahead to next year...

CatsnRoses

Senior
May 13, 2007
is it just me or is there a distinct possibility that next year could be rough for our standards? This incoming freshman class (not just our commits, the entire class) is pretty underwhelming compared to the last couple of seasons and if everyone leaves who we're expecting to (Fox, Monk, Bam, Briscoe) we'll have some glaring holes in the back court and no real perimeter shooting threat. Not trying to be negative, just trying to be objective and realistic about it as possible.

Signing Bamba would definitely help, but that doesn't address the need for guards/shooting so I'm not sure if that all of a sudden makes us a legitimate contender. I'd have to say probably not. What does everyone else think?

I'll need to see the roster first. It's too early to speculate.

I also need to see who stays/goes at other schools. Could be a weak year. Could not. Next year's team will be closer to 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016 than 2010, 2012, 2015.

Based on right now, I think next year's team could be the squad that breaks the 3-point streak. But, like I said, I'll need to see the final roster first.

Reactions: ukfan041
Next year will be a down year per Caligari standards. If we get Bamba we could be a very special defensive team though.

Not to take up for next years team because it seems not to be the thing to do on this board. But we all were saying the same thing this time last year. In that we will defend well but our offense will be a question mark. By mid season we were crying to be a defensive team.

Reactions: ukfan041
I think next year will be a down year as a whole for College Basketball. So with that being said come March we will have a chance.

I fear if we have mass defections it could put us as a very low seed in the tournament because we'll absorb lots of losses "trying to figure things out." Of course, this is merely speculation as I haven't glanced at our projected schedule for next year. The SEC is not going to be a pushover, either, as the conference has good coaches now and many of their teams will be returning en masse. And we know if we are a low seed that we won't get any favors from the NCAA and will get paired with other top programs for TV ratings.

Here is the thing, Cal has guided UK to a championship, 2 title game appearances, 4 final fours, 6 elite eights in his 8 years here. Speculate all you want, but the odds are he will have them in the hunt for a championship by season's end. Also, odds are that we will be unlucky at some point along the way, and fall short of a championship, between injuries and officiating.

First, we aren't even sure what next year's roster will even look like. Could some guys return that we think are gone? Maybe. Could Cal sign another couple of guys? Possible. Do we need another shooter? Maybe. However, you had 3 shooters in the game yesterday, and the final minute withstanding, they went like 1-10 from 3. Meanwhile, 2 non-shooters went 4-7 from 3 in the game. The reason Cal's teams rarely (like never) get upset, is because over the course of the season, they become good to great defenders. Because of that, an off-night shooting the ball doesn't automatically send you home. It is the exact reason that teams like Duke lose in the first round as often as they make the final four. However, with those shooters, there is a chance you can ride the hot shooting all the way to the championship, which Duke has done twice.

I need to see the final roster for next year before I could say how many loses they would have, but the odds of them being in the hunt for a championship at the end of the season is high, regardless of how the roster shakes out.

Next years team will be better than a lot us think....I think Hump, SKJ Richards and the Lumber jack will give us a solid post position by committee. Vanderbilt and Washington will give us length at the 4. Diallo can play either 2-3 because he is 6-6. Green will be a stable P"G. We will have to depend on defense and rebounding and easy baskets around the rim with some average outside shooting. Maybe a better version of this years Baylor...I am not taking into consideration any other recruits or any Gabriel or Briscoe or anyone else of importance remaining. Next year could be a lot like 2011.

I don't really want to look ahead to next year. One, I am still so pissed and devastated after yesterday.

Two, I think there are major issues with next year's team. I think they are going to struggle big time.

Every position is a downgrade from this year except maybe, MAYBE, at the 4 spot. PG will be worse, SG will be worse, 3 will likely be worse, 4 is a toss up and C will be worse.

Plus, there is literally nobody coming in who can shoot, not at all. Green is mediocre and everyone else is bad to pathetic.

Is Briscoe leaves as expected next year may be a long season by UK standards.

I still think they will be competitive but with a better SEC and a tough schedule, it may be a rough go.

Insane defensive and rebounding potential and a bunch of bulldog mentalities. My kind of team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT