ADVERTISEMENT

LOL @ Calipari hugging Reed Sheppard in the Green Room.

They were less of a liability than DJ and Edwards. And look, the whole team was built very badly. Calipari panicked by adding two 3 stars last minute, because he couldn't get anyone else. And had Tre Mitchell fall in his lap. We didn't have any better options other than to start Rob and Reed. And to hope they played through their lumps. Instead we rode with DJ and Edwards and got double 1st round losses.
Not at all if they weren't hitting shots. Edwards became much better as the season progressed, and Dj was much more physical than either Rob or Reed. Reed struggled beating his man off the dribble while Dj did not. Rob only played defense when his shots were falling, Reed played hard but was a poor on ball defender and gambled for way too many steals, often getting burned in the process.

I wouldn't say Burks was desperate at all. He was the leading scorer for OTE if I am not mistaken and has a lot of upside. He needs time to develop, but he worked his ass of. Hart is a solid 3pt shooter with pretty impressive athleticism and size. He is a player that could have been very good by year 3.

We had plenty of options. We had one of the deepest rosters in CBB last year.

But, as has already been pointed out and you all can offer no evidence to dispute, we didn't lose in the post season due to DJ and Edwards starting. Nor can you all show any data for any regular season games we lost as a result of them starting. In fact, when people point out we lost more when Reed did start, the excuse becomes it was because Dj was out.

You better believe he'll use that as a recruiting tool.

''We had a guy come off the bench. And he went #3 in the draft like...what! So look, when you do the right stuff, no matter if you're starting or not. Good things happen and hey....these scouts will find you. So...look.....it's not about minutes''.
"It's not about minutes and it's not about starting unless your last name is Wagner." At least that is what Kal should tell Boogie Fland since we know he had to make promises to get DJ to Piggyville.

"It's not about minutes and it's not about starting unless your last name is Wagner." At least that is what Kal should tell Boogie Fland since we know he had to make promises to get DJ to Piggyville.
If you were a prospect that just watched 2 bench players get drafted in the top 8, are you likely to be concerned or feel good about it?

Not at all if they weren't hitting shots. Edwards became much better as the season progressed, and Dj was much more physical than either Rob or Reed. Reed struggled beating his man off the dribble while Dj did not. Rob only played defense when his shots were falling, Reed played hard but was a poor on ball defender and gambled for way too many steals, often getting burned in the process.

I wouldn't say Burks was desperate at all. He was the leading scorer for OTE if I am not mistaken and has a lot of upside. He needs time to develop, but he worked his ass of. Hart is a solid 3pt shooter with pretty impressive athleticism and size. He is a player that could have been very good by year 3.

But, as has already been pointed out and you all can offer no evidence to dispute, we didn't lose in the post season due to DJ and Edwards starting. Nor can you all show any data for any regular season games we lost as a result of them starting. In fact, when people point out we lost more when Reed did start, the excuse becomes it was because Dj was out.

Reed and Rob were scoring way more than those two. With our flawed defense, the best option was to try and outscore teams. Rob and Reed were way better scorers than DJ and Edwards. Full stop. What even is this argument? Reed and Rob had their shortcomings. But they were NO QUESTION the better options.

In the months of Feb and March Justin had (points) 7, 17, 8, 12, 4, 9, 28, 2, 10, 16

Rob had 35, 20, 6, 10, 11, 23, 16, 9, 15, 23, 23, 11, 11, 27, 10.

So in Feb and March. Dilly got into double figures 13 times. Compared to Edwards who got into double figures just 5 times.

Stats for Reed versus Edwards tell the same story. Same for DJ versus Rob/Reed.

Edwards was turning into a better shooter as the season progressed. But the better scoring options were still Rob and Reed.

You better believe he'll use that as a recruiting tool.

''We had a guy come off the bench. And he went #3 in the draft like...what! So look, when you do the right stuff, no matter if you're starting or not. Good things happen and hey....these scouts will find you. So...look.....it's not about minutes''.
"And how about Rob? Guy didn't even start! What?"

Meh...criticize him for whatever else, but this is just being disgruntled about an employee who left 3 months ago....obsessive even

He's supporting his players...why's dan hurley there then if not?
Hurley just won back to back titles and is still the coach. Ccc couldn't win a church league with 2 top ten picks that he refused to start and is now coach of a rival. Big difference

Reed and Rob were scoring way more than those two. With our flawed defense, the best option was to try and outscore teams. Rob and Reed were way better scorers than DJ and Edwards. Full stop. What even is this argument? Reed and Rob had their shortcomings. But they were NO QUESTION the better options.

In the months of Feb and March Justin had (points) 7, 17, 8, 12, 4, 9, 28, 2, 10, 16

Rob had 35, 20, 6, 10, 11, 23, 16, 9, 15, 23, 23, 11, 11, 27, 10.

So in Feb and March. Dilly got into double figures 13 times. Compared to Edwards who got into double figures just 5 times.

Stats for Reed versus Edwards tell the same story. Same for DJ versus Rob/Reed.

Edwards was turning into a better shooter as the season progressed. But the better scoring options were still Rob and Reed.
No one is arguing that but you. But scoring is only part of the game. Kind of hard to ourscore players when you aren't making shots. Otherwise, Reed wouldn't have been 1-4 as a starter.

How was Dillingham's scoring against Oakland.

How does who scored more in February or March equate to our first rd loss? How do they equate to us losing any games over the course of the season based on who started. Surely you have based you stance on some kind of evidence and not just red herrings, right?

Against Oakland, Rob and Reed played 28 and 26 min respectively. They went 3 of 14 combined. Edwards and Dj played 15 and 17.

Of course Cal is gonna be there for the players that were on his team. Any coach would do that, y'all make it sound like he farted in Mother Thereasa's face. IMO I like Reed a ton, but I just don't see him as the best collage player in the country last year, man, (it was two big foreign players that went ahead of him)I would take that Conneticut big or the Purdue big, or even Knecht at 6'7". I think Reed is going to have trouble trying to guard Lebron or our own SKG or Butler.
Scoring matters in nba, more so than defense

No one is arguing that but you. But scoring is only part of the game. Kind of hard to ourscore players when you aren't making shots. Otherwise, Reed wouldn't have been 1-4 as a starter.

How does who scored more in February or March equate to our first rd loss? How do they equate to us losing any games over the course of the season based on who started. Surely you have based you stance on some kind of evidence and not just red herrings, right?

Against Oakland, Rob and Reed played 28 and 26 min respectively. Edwards and Dj played 15 and 17.
If you can't see starting our best offensive guards was the way to go, I can't help you. Starting is a whole lot different than minutes. The start of the game dictates a lot of things. Not having your best players on the floor is ludicrous.

Against Oakland, Rob and Reed played 28 and 26 min respectively. Edwards and Dj played 15 and 17.
''Not starting your best offensive players is good, actually''-Leadbelly, 2024.

Young guys that were probably pressing after losing in the SEC Tourney. Couple that with seemingly zero defense taught and some head scratching regular season losses. In hindsight was sort of a recipe for disaster for the team.

He "coached" him, so he deserves to be there. That said, I will be thrilled to see him representing the Hogs next year when Fland gets drafted in the late first round after a disappointing second round NCAA loss.

If you can't see starting our best offensive guards was the way to go, I can't help you. Starting is a whole lot different than minutes. The start of the game dictates a lot of things. Not having your best players on the floor is ludicrous.
But we were winning the last game when they came in. They wouldn’t have had had that advantage starting. So that makes no sense.

If what you're claiming was true, you would be able to provide actual proof of games we lost because those 2 didn't start. The fact you can't is pretty damning to your argument.

Young guys that were probably pressing after losing in the SEC Tourney. Couple that with seemingly zero defense taught and some head scratching regular season losses. In hindsight was sort of a recipe for disaster for the team.
I agree with the first part, but who started wasn't going to change any of that.

But we were winning the last game when they came in. They wouldn’t have had had that advantage starting. So that makes no sense.

If what you're claiming was true, you would be able to provide actual proof of games we lost because those 2 didn't start. The fact you can't is pretty damning to your argument.
We were winning the game because of Reeves and Mitchell. Not because of DJ and Edwards. Justin and Wagner didn't score a single point when Rob and Reed came in. The points were all from Mitchell, Reeves, Thiero, and Z. You don't think starting our 2 best scorers to start, would have been better. Than guys who went ofer, during the starting minutes of the game? Lol, sure.

Yes Reed gambled on defense, but he was the leader in steals. He also beat his man off the dribble plenty of times, but any decent coach would have set screens for Reed and Rob to get open shots, but ccc was too stupid. Dj may have beat his man off the dribble but he could only do it going left and then he missed a layup, so what good was he

We were winning the game because of Reeves and Mitchell. Not because of DJ and Edwards. Justin and Wagner didn't score a single point when Rob and Reed came in. The points were all from Mitchell, Reeves, Thiero, and Z. You don't think starting our 2 best scorers to start, would have been better. Than guys who went ofer, during the starting minutes of the game? Lol, sure.
Edwards had 10 pt in 16 min on 4-9 shooting. Of the 4 players, he should have played more that game.

No, those 2 players were bad that game. Do you honestly think them coming in 3 minutes sooner would have changed that? 🤣

Only an idiot would be saying we lost because the guy that went 1-5 with 2 turnovers and 3 fouls and gave up countless 3s to Gohlke in his 26 minutes didn't play more. It's even funnier when you openly have to admit he came into the game when we were leading and played 26 of the next 37 minutes played. You can't make this shit up.

Canadian Lol GIF

Edwards had 10 pt in 16 min on 4-9 shooting. Of the 4 players, he should have played more that game.

No, those 2 players were bad that game. Do you honestly think them coming in 3 minutes sooner would have changed that? 🤣

Only an idiot would be saying we lost because the guy that went 1-5 with 2 turnovers and 3 fouls and gave up countless 3s to Gohlke in his 26 minutes should play more. You can't make this shit up.

Canadian Lol GIF
I'm sticking with Reed and Rob to play through that. You can ride with Justin Edwards.

If you were a prospect that just watched 2 bench players get drafted in the top 8, are you likely to be concerned or feel good about it?
Well, considering that team lost 10 games, didn’t win the SEC, didn’t win an SECT game and didn’t win an NCAAT game, whatever Kal did, didn’t work again. So, no, UK fans did not feel good about it. That’s why we ran his ass outta here.

Most of these players are good enough to get drafted without Kal. And they know that.

Last edited:
I'm sticking with Reed and Rob to play through that. You can ride with Justin Edwards.
But they both did get the minutes to play through that and didn't. It's not like they got pulled. They played 26 and 28 minutes respectively. They were 3rd and 4th in terms of minutes played that game, only behind Mitchell and Reeves. And Reed was 3rd in terms of minutes for the season.

Unless you can point out any evidence of why we lost that game or any because of who started, it's a moot point.

Reactions: thedahc
Pretty sure Robinson was one of BYU's five best players last year and didn't start.

There were very few games this year that the outcome was predicated on who started.

It's not like we were any better when Reed started. In fact, we were worse. Now, I know the natural retort is going to be, "but so and so was injured when Reed played." To which I will ask, what games did we play this year where players weren't out injured?

Simple fact is, the outcome of this season wasn't likely going to be any different no matter what the starting line-up was. We were far too bad defensively, and our offense needed to be firing consistently to overcome that. Freshman just are consistent.
Robinson was worthy of a #3 or #8 pick?

Great logic and outstanding comparison. You lit this whole thread up with your insight, fella.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
y'all are ate up
Calipari tanked our program and stole six players on his way out. He also chose to evacuate to an SEC rival, by the way.

I'm surprised Kentucky fans like you aren't equally "ate up."

Let me guess, "let's put it in the past, fellas. Sure Cal left our program bleeding to death on the side of the road, but that's in the past. Time to move on."

Robinson was worthy of a #3 or #8 pick?

Great logic and outstanding comparison. You lit this whole thread up with your insight, fella.
So it only matter whether you start your better players if they are lottery picks? Even though it's widely known the NBA drafts on longterm potential and not necessarily what a player is now.

Were they really worthy of those picks, or was it just an incredibly weak draft where somebody had to be picked?

In a one game scenario where it’s win or go home, you don’t mess around with the lesser team and give them confidence. Oakland started out slow but so did we and as we continued to throw up brick after brick it gave them confidence they could win the game. And they did. Wagner had no business starting that game or any game the second half of the season.

So it only matter whether you start your better players if they are lottery picks? Even though it's widely known the NBA drafts on longterm potential and not necessarily what a player is now.

Were they really worthy of those picks, or was it just an incredibly weak draft where somebody had to be picked?
Rob Dillingham and Reed Sheppard were All-SEC 2nd team selections.

Is that "potential?"

Rob Dillingham and Reed Sheppard were All-SEC 2nd team selections.

Is that "potential?"
Robinson was big 12 all team honorable mention and big 12 6th man if the year. He was clearly BYUs best player, but somehow came off the bench for Pope. Clearly Pope doesn't always believe your best player needs to start.

Yea, I would say it's certainly potential. Particularly for Rob. Reed is a little more of a finished product, but Rob will develop a lot more.

@Mr. Stratford typing a furious response now...

🤣
Not really a furious type of person. But considering you accused me of being leadbelly and referring to me as "dawg" before deleting them in your previous post, before making this post insinuating I would be furious, maybe that's a bit of projection on your part.

Reactions: thedahc
Calipari tanked our program and stole six players on his way out. He also chose to evacuate to an SEC rival, by the way.

I'm surprised Kentucky fans like you aren't equally "ate up."

Let me guess, "let's put it in the past, fellas. Sure Cal left our program bleeding to death on the side of the road, but that's in the past. Time to move on."
I'm glad Cal's gone. He doesn't live rent free in my head. Obsessing over him like a jilted ex doesn't accomplish anything.

Robinson was big 12 all team honorable mention and big 12 6th man if the year. He was clearly BYUs best player, but somehow came off the bench for Pope. Clearly Pope doesn't always believe your best player needs to start.

Yea, I would say it's certainly potential. Particularly for Rob. Reed is a little more of a finished product, but Rob will develop a lot more.

Not really a furious type of person. But considering you accused me of being leadbelly and referring to me as "dawg" before deleting them in your previous post, before making this post insinuating I would be furious, maybe that's a bit of projection on your part.
You joined the board in May.

How would you even know who Leadbelly is, dawg?

images

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Sorry Morgousky but Jaxson Robinson was BYU’s best player and didn’t start. I don’t agree with it and I would have started Reed and Robinson but the both got big minutes so it not the atrocity y’all make it out to be. It happens at numerous programs every years so say no coach in America would do it is typical Morgousky nonsense.

BTW, one of the mods doesn’t like you and told me you were Morg, that’s how I know.
I have a feeling you are the mod.

Right, are we not allowed to join in May?

You accused me of being Leadbelly in your post I referenced before you edited it, as did someone else earlier. Do I need to know him to know that or something?
You type just like him, use the same laughing emoji. And really love using ''!''

Leadbelly always laughed when you called him leadbelly too. Cmon man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT