ADVERTISEMENT

"Like Seeing God"

LmdCat

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
Since UK pays Cal like he is God, at least one recruit actually thinks he is God. This is a comment that should disqualify any player from getting a scholarship from Kentucky. This is one of the primary reasons why players show little to no loyalty to the school or the fans who support them. This has sadly become a program that is all about Cal. Players use to come to Kentucky because it is Kentucky. It is well past time for this to return as the reason for players coming. Kentucky won't regain its iconic status by making deep runs into the tournament until the focus is put back on Kentucky instead of Cal.

Last edited:
Since UK pays Cal like he is God, at least one recruit actually thinks he is God. This is a comment that should disqualify any player from getting a scholarship from Kentucky. This is one of the primary reasons why players show little to no loyalty to the school or the fans who support them. This has sadly become a program that is all about Cal. Players use to come to Kentucky because it is Kentucky. It is well past time for this to return as the reason for players coming. Kentucky won't regain its iconic status by making deep runs into the tournament until the focus is put back on Kentucky instead of Cal.
I miss Drive-In movies but I know they may not come back. Players go to schools (mostly) for the coach. It has been that way for a long time. Players get an automatic transfer if the coach leaves. Self could get the same players even if he is coaching at another school. Cal brought his Memphis recruiting class to UK. The Kentucky brand still means a lot but mostly to guys like us.

I miss Drive-In movies but I know they may not come back. Players go to schools (mostly) for the coach. It has been that way for a long time. Players get an automatic transfer if the coach leaves. Self could get the same players even if he is coaching at another school. Cal brought his Memphis recruiting class to UK. The Kentucky brand still means a lot but mostly to guys like us.
Is the coach why UNC and Duke are still getting good players? Try again!

You can’t take that statement literally. The guy is larger than life and has an enormous personality. I can definitely see why a kid who aspires to be in the NBA would liken the event of meeting Cal with the hyperbole of meeting God.
I guess you think he is "like God" too. Lol He is so large that his thought-to-be returning players couldn't get away from him fast enough.

Last edited:
I guess you think he is "like God" too. Lol He is so large that his thought to be returning players couldn't get away from him fast enough.
What? How did you garner that from my post? The guy is larger than life, I was just giving a much more reasonable interpretation of the kid's statement than the silly literal take you made.

What? How did you garner that from my post? The guy is larger than life, I was just giving a much more reasonable interpretation of the kid's statement than the silly literal take you made.
Silly, you are much!!

Reactions: Lempface
Oh, good grief. Seriously?? It's a figure of speech. I'll bet my everlasting soul you use a non-literal figure of speech. Loosen the bunch in your britches.
Lol, feels a bit holier than thou at this point. If he doesn’t like the turn of phrase that’s fine, he doesn’t have to use it, but one shouldn’t just refuse to acknowledge it’s meaning.

Oh, good grief. Seriously?? It's a figure of speech. I'll bet my everlasting soul you use a non-literal figure of speech. Loosen the bunch in your britches.
If you made that bet, you would be correct. However, I have never considered any person as God like and I don't recall any other potential recruit for Kentucky stating such. It is obvious the kid knows that Cal isn't God, but it is also obvious the kid has extremely poor judgement. Cal sucks as a coach and has for years.

If you made that bet, you would be correct. However, I have never considered any person as God like and I don't recall any other potential recruit for Kentucky stating such. It is obvious the kid knows that Cal isn't God, but it is also obvious the kid has extremely poor judgement. Cal sucks as a coach and has for years.
The kid sees all of the past Cal players in the NBA, he sees the collective monetary value of their contracts, and high profile players are still lining up to play for him and believe he can help them reach their dreams. Almost every past player has only glowing things to say about him. He had a company of past players join him for his HOF induction.

What you as a fan want out of a coach is probably a bit different from a player.

Any player who thinks Cal is like God has extremely poor judgement.
He’s lived off his first 7/8 years at UK. Also, his pro players have made him, not the other way around. Used to think he was a great eye and developer of talent. However, the bloom is off the rose now. He’s looking more and more like a fraud each season that passes, unfortunately.

The kid sees all of the past Cal players in the NBA, he sees the collective monetary value of their contracts, and high profile players are still lining up to play for him and believe he can help them reach their dreams. Almost every past player has only glowing things to say about him. He had a company of past players join him for his HOF induction.

What you as a fan want out of a coach is probably a bit different from a player.
I’m tired of recruiting kids for the NBA. I want kids that actually wanna accomplish team goals in college. I mean, yeah, it’s nice to have so many great pros, but they don’t ever top out here. Hell, some don’t even come close to it.

I’m tired of recruiting kids for the NBA. I want kids that actually wanna accomplish team goals in college. I mean, yeah, it’s nice to have so many great pros, but they don’t ever top out here. Hell, some don’t even come close to it.
Same, but just making the point we as fans will have vastly different opinions on the coach. From the player perspective, I don't know of a coach that does more for his guys. Even if it doesn't work out here he always goes to bat for them, helps them get a new team, and follows them after they leave. He let Sharpe train, make NIL, and not play. Bet Sharpe thinks highly of him lol.

Is the coach why UNC and Duke are still getting good players? Try again!
I am probably biased but I definitely believe that Duke and UNC get much more favorable coverage, especially from ESPN. The buildup to their 2 games a year can certainly influence a young guy.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I have never been a worshiper of people so; I can't relate to seeing any person like that.
But you do recognize that other people may have people they idolize and use phrases such as “like a god” in a figurative way?

It’s not a commonly excepted figure of speech. It’s blasphemy according to Christian, Jewish, and Islamic doctrine. So if you aren’t a subscriber to those religions then no big deal obviously. But if you are a member of one of those three than you might want to go review your religious text of choice and reevaluate your opinion on what you consider to be an acceptable figure of speech.

I say this with respect and with no other intention than to have a conversation.

This reminds me of my early days on the uk intrawebs seeing some dude in a video talking about Rondo playing pickup games in Louisville at the park or something (with other really good players). He said, “the MF looked like Jesus Christ playing basketball” because he was dominating. always made me laugh 😂

Any player who thinks Cal is like God has extremely poor judgement.
I think people may misjudge what the kid meant . IMHO what the kids that play for Cal in his player’s first program mean is he is a god because he is their best ticket to playing in the NBA and becoming a multimillionaire .
In many endeavors people refer to CEO’s , prominent professors, prominent research doctors etc as gods in their field of endeavor.
I think thats what the kids mean and in that sense he is a god because of how many players he has put into the NBA .
I dont like the players first system because my coach always taught there is no I in team . But I get what todays kids especially those raised in poverty mean when the say he is a god .

No player goes to any school for that reason anymore. It's all about getting to the NBA or NIL now. Maybe a kid like Reed Sheppard. But those days are gone. People keep saying this and it's just a fantasy "Back in my day...." idea.
But no fan should ever be denigrated for feeling that way. Anyone who thinks this is okay is part of the problem.

Reactions: STL_Cat
“Players are fleeing because they can’t stand cal.”

“We shouldn’t allow players to come here because they like cal. “

Lol

Reactions: thedahc
Same, but just making the point we as fans will have vastly different opinions on the coach. From the player perspective, I don't know of a coach that does more for his guys. Even if it doesn't work out here he always goes to bat for them, helps them get a new team, and follows them after they leave. He let Sharpe train, make NIL, and not play. Bet Sharpe thinks highly of him lol.
I’m sure he loves him but that’s ridiculous and exactly what people are tired of. No way Sharpe should have a giant picture hanging in the practice facility. He didn’t do a damn thing for us except screw that team over.

It’s not a commonly excepted figure of speech. It’s blasphemy according to Christian, Jewish, and Islamic doctrine. So if you aren’t a subscriber to those religions then no big deal obviously. But if you are a member of one of those three than you might want to go review your religious text of choice and reevaluate your opinion on what you consider to be an acceptable figure of speech.

I say this with respect and with no other intention than to have a conversation.
I personally couldn’t idolize a human that much. Most people suck lol. Especially celebrities, most of them are pretty terrible people in reality. Maybe as a kid I had ball players that I loved but as I got older it turned more into respect for what they can do athletically.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
Consider the age of the person who made the comment.
Like someone else said, the player experience and the fan experience are totally different.

You can’t take that statement literally. The guy is larger than life and has an enormous personality. I can definitely see why a kid who aspires to be in the NBA would liken the event of meeting Cal with the hyperbole of meeting God.

Pay Me Bitch Better Have My Money GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT