ADVERTISEMENT

Liam Coen

Bear Bryant, Gene Stallings, Kevin Sumlin, Jimbo Fisher. There is also a lot of money at A&M. I think this is an agree to disagree moment.

As to Coen, you can justify his voracious appetite to job hop and interview all you want. I don’t care. It’s just not comparable to Stoops. Not in any bit.

The fact Bear Bryant, with access to Texas talent, won more hardware at Kentucky than A&M tells ya all you need to know.

So, by that definition the University of Kentucky is a top job because Paul Bear Bryant coached here in the 50's.

Gene Stallings, again, didn't do much there and used them as a steppingstone.

Two legendary coaches...barely managed mediocrity at A&M.

Kevin Sumlin. Tore it up at Houston but petered off in the SEC. Barely above .500 in conference. Outside of Johnny Football and Mike Evans, nothing to write home about. Okay, but not good enough to keep his job.

There's nothing to disagree about. They're not what everyone thinks they are. They were a middle tier B12 program fighting to lick the jock strap of OSU, KSU, and Tech. They're a middle tier SEC program sniffing Rebel and Razorback farts.

Yeah, they have a lot of money, and they blew 75 million of it on a coach to try and be something they're not.

As far a LC, I'll take NFL and Tampa over College Station and Lexington Kentucky. CMS tried to get what he and apparently a lot of other people think is a better "gig"...LC actually got a better gig.

The fact Bear Bryant, with access to Texas talent, won more hardware at Kentucky than A&M tells ya all you need to know.

So, by that definition the University of Kentucky is a top job because Paul Bear Bryant coached here in the 50's.

Gene Stallings, again, didn't do much there and used them as a steppingstone.

Two legendary coaches...barely managed mediocrity at A&M.

Kevin Sumlin. Tore it up at Houston but petered off in the SEC. Barely above .500 in conference. Outside of Johnny Football and Mike Evans, nothing to write home about. Okay, but not good enough to keep his job.

There's nothing to disagree about. They're not what everyone thinks they are. They were a middle tier B12 program fighting to lick the jock strap of OSU, KSU, and Tech. They're a middle tier SEC program sniffing Rebel and Razorback farts.

Yeah, they have a lot of money, and they blew 75 million of it on a coach to try and be something they're not.

As far a LC, I'll take NFL and Tampa over College Station and Lexington Kentucky. CMS tried to get what he and apparently a lot of other people think is a better "gig"...LC actually got a better gig.

And, after all of those words, the fact remains that Stoops listening to one suitor is nothing like Coen dating every job available.

And, after all of those words, the fact remains that Stoops listening to one suitor is nothing like Coen dating every job available.
He has listened to more than one suitor. It just happened to be that TAMU the first one that decided he was getting offered.

It still amazes me that people get so mad at him when the only difference between he and stoops is that he was actually able to land a job. But watched it happen with Wolford when he left that he was a unified scapegoat for some faction of fans. Was the same thing....'he didn't rotate enough it's all his fault' when maybe the next string just wasn't good enough to win with so they didn't play them and we saw that the next year when they had to play. And again, if there was some legitimate issue with not enough minutes for the backups Stoops could come into any staff meeting any time he wants and say 'we need to get the backups minutes'. I guess it's just easy because they are gone so some people can unify and lay blame on someone not still here.
What a joke. Stop posting.

Reactions: Girthang
It was the QB, not the OC. Are you blind?
That's absolutely a part of it....for every team in college or pro fb. Also, that qb came to uk because coen was here. And I'm not a coen defender. I just don't have it in me to deny reality and Stoops has been here 12 years. We know what his strengths are and his weaknesses have been pretty consistent as well. Levis had physical tools for sure but was relegated as a run qb at penn st with very little experience or snaps. He struggled with reads and interceptions the first half of that season but in the second half coen cut the field in half with play calls and the INT and him getting confused and holding the ball too long went down significantly.

What a joke. Stop posting.
You can stay in middle school if you like and defy assessment based on logic and just keep being mad at whatever coach you want to based on whether they are on staff or not but it is silly for people to be like 'Wolford sucks he screwed everything up' when he leaves and now it's all good again cuz he's on staff. Now we can blame that year on Scang cuz he's gone and not part of the program and Wolford is back. We can blame everything on Coen last year and I'm not saying he doesn't deserve blame.

Just be consistent and at some point blame stoops too. The dude has been here 12 seasons and we've been functionally inadequate on offense in 10 of the 12 seasons. 10 seasons we've finished in the bottom third of ncaa offense. That's on everybody that has coached on that side of the ball under him but that's on leadership and recruiting too...he's the guy hiring guys. I disagree with his excessive passivity on defense in this new era where defense is more about negative plays to offset modern offensive outputs and philosophies. But he has always had his feel of what he's trying to do. He has never had a feel for what he's trying to get to offensively or how to get there...what he really wants to do has a low ceiling and he knows it but he has shown no feel for how to get wherever he's trying to get to, if he even knows. Hard to say he does in 12 seasons. You can explain away a season or two but he's been here a long time.

He's stuck here now...there really isn't anywhere to go when you lose out on a job because of fan revolt and I hope he finds this medium he's looking for so we can be successful outside of our scheduling formula of the past because it doesn't exist anymore... but after 12 seasons he's the guy hiring all of these people with no real change in outcome. His two elite seasons revolved around the passing game, ie modern football. 2021 we could actually pass. 2018 we actually had a pass rush.

You have shown me the errors in my ways. How foolish of me to think that he would not be gauging interest in higher profile jobs than TAMU but then be willing go to TAMU.

I know 2 people in the AD community....one SEC, one Big 12. This stuff isn't a big secret in their world. And I don't know why people have a need to believe he doesn't look for other opportunities. Stoops has a career, life, and family to make decisions on that rank ahead of fanbases. As long as it's being done by contract I can live with it. It's on AD's and coaches that make hires of head coaches and assistants to make it work they way they want.

Last edited:
I wonder if Coen is as good at the game of ping pong as he is at ping-ponging through various job positions.

It was the QB, not the OC. Are you blind?

That was also the best Coen has ever been. He has to have excuses for his year as OC of the Rams and this past year. We just don’t know yet where his average lies. More towards the year with Levis, Wan’Dale, CRod and the BBW or more like those other years. DCs in the SEC seem to respect him. Time will tell.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
So Coen is s

Are you serious. Coen in his one year with Will developed him into an NFL QB. Same for Robinson?

Coen had a miserable year as OC for the Rams especially in the prism of coming off a SB and then making the playoffs this past year. Then to Ky where we were last in the nation in plays run per game in spite of having a QB who was picked as the pre-season MVP in the ACC before being injured and transferring.

My guess is that the RAMS were happy that he left the second time and that Stoops and associates were ready to try something new in 2024.
I didn't mention Robinson. Robinson came to UK already haven performed at a all conference level. As I stated in my original post. Levis couldn't get starter snaps at PSU because of his lack of passing skill. Coen fixed his hitch and tweaked his footwork, thus developing him into a draft pick. It's not hard to comprehend. It also is not my opinion. Levis credits Coen and so does every knowledgeable football talking head. I hate that he left, but I can compartmentalize my dislike for him and keep that separate from the respect for his coaching ability. I'm not a football coach, so I lean toward folks that are experts like Freddie Maggard, Van Hiles, Cole Cubelic etc to help understand nuance that I might be ignorant of.

Leary was not suited to the McVey Shanahan scheme. Too many years in no huddle shotgun spread dink & dunk systems. Struggled having to huddle & call complex plays to teammates & blocking sets to O line.

Us getting Wisconsin qb who went to Florida might have been a better fit.

Leary was not suited to the McVey Shanahan scheme. Too many years in no huddle shotgun spread dink & dunk systems. Struggled having to huddle & call complex plays to teammates & blocking sets to O line.

Us getting Wisconsin qb who went to Florida might have been a better fit.

And, yet, Levis had not been under center, either.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
And, yet, Leary seems to have regressed from his days at NC State. They claimed his injury was not a factor, but maybe it was.
I thought I saw greater hesitation than his films revealed.

And he had two major injuries at NC State. We saw Ryan Hockman’s son at QB in the 2020 Gator Bowl, because Leary had broken a leg.

Then two years later, he had an arm torn half off.

I don’t blame him for some ducking and covering!!

And in ‘54 they got down to Bear and Bryant.
Well the suspense is drowning out every other thought……..did they wind up with Bear or some dude named Bryant?

My instinct tells me off the top that some guy they call Bear isn’t gonna do much as a football coach. It’s like calling a fat ass guy tiny,….or a Don Knotts nervous type dude Mad Dog, or some legal scholar Hack…..etc.

Anyway, let me know who got the nod…..& while we’re on a Texas based subject matter , hoo shot JR Yewing? ……my guess is it trails back tew a border security iyshyew.

• Haha
Reactions: The-Hack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT