ADVERTISEMENT

Liam Campbell - Top 100 recruit, Idaho HS Player of the Year

Apr 13, 2024
The Player of the Year from the state of Idaho de-committed from USC last week after Musselman was hired. He's a 4-star Top 80 recruit according to ESPN, plus he's a 41% 3-pt shooter and 85.7% from the stripe. He would be a excellent fit for Pope's system.

He recently gave this quote on his recruitment: "I got to find a coaching staff that really believes in me and won't to go the transfer portal for my position," he said. "I know that whole transfer world is hectic right now with everyone leaving and finding a better fit. So when I'm talking with schools I'll be looking for a program that really values me as a player and can help me play professionally. My long term goal is to play overseas or in the NBA. That's my goal."

In over 100 years of basketball, UK has never had a player from the state of Idaho.

Yeah, I think he would be a perfect fit for what we are trying to do here. And it would be cool to have an Idahoan on the roster for the first time.

No transfer portal guys at his position eh? If you need the comfort of being the undisputed guy at your spot, UK isn't the school for you - that didn't work out when Cal did it with five stars, and it certainly wouldn't work with the 80th ranked kid in the country. Everybody should feel like they have to earn their spot every day.

No transfer portal guys at his position eh? If you need the comfort of being the undisputed guy at your spot, UK isn't the school for you - that didn't work out when Cal did it with five stars, and it certainly wouldn't work with the 80th ranked kid in the country. Everybody should feel like they have to earn their spot every day.

You say “80th ranked kid” as a bad thing.

Go look at the rankings of guys in UConn’s last few classes.

You’re still in complete Calipari mode. Yes we want to go after top tier guys but you also go after guys like this.

The Player of the Year from the state of Idaho de-committed from USC last week after Musselman was hired. He's a 4-star Top 80 recruit according to ESPN, plus he's a 41% 3-pt shooter and 85.7% from the stripe. He would be a excellent fit for Pope's system.

He recently gave this quote on his recruitment: "I got to find a coaching staff that really believes in me and won't to go the transfer portal for my position," he said. "I know that whole transfer world is hectic right now with everyone leaving and finding a better fit. So when I'm talking with schools I'll be looking for a program that really values me as a player and can help me play professionally. My long term goal is to play overseas or in the NBA. That's my goal."

In over 100 years of basketball, UK has never had a player from the state of Idaho.

I believe joey Hart could be a better option

Travis Perry has an #81 composite ranking on 24/7. Never know who might be a diamond in the rough that far down. We all wanted 3-4 year players. These are the kind of guys who stay. You're lucky to get a 5-star more than a year these days. Some kids are overrated and then others like SGA, Herro and Reed blew away people's expectations. Just never know sometimes and proves rankings aren't everything. Will have to trust Pope and the staff he puts in place to have a keen eye for talent.

Yeah, I think he would be a perfect fit for what we are trying to do here. And it would be cool to have an Idahoan on the roster for the first time.

Idahoan

That's funny

Toy Story Movie GIF

Travis Perry has an #81 composite ranking on 24/7. Never know who might be a diamond in the rough that far down. We all wanted 3-4 year players. These are the kind of guys who stay. You're lucky to get a 5-star more than a year these days. Some kids are overrated and then others like SGA, Herro and Reed blew away people's expectations. Just never know sometimes and proves rankings aren't everything. Will have to trust Pope and the staff he puts in place to have a keen eye for talent.
It’s not about where the kid is ranked. It’s that he’s saying if you recruit him he doesn’t want you to recruit over him. He specifically mentions the transfer portal but I have a feeling he’d also have hurt feelings if you brought in McNeely as well (I’m not saying that’s likely, I don’t think it is).

I want to get kids to develop, sure, but if the 80th kid in the class wants to come in and not have to fight for his spot that’s a big no thank you from me.

No one cares about his ranking. It’s his shitty attitude. I bet you if Travis Perry told pope, I’ll stay committed to you as long as boogie fland decommits, you don’t recruit anyone else at my position, freshman or portal, and if you get me professional as fast as possible. NBA or overseas. I would want pope to tell him to go fly a kite.

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam

You’re still in complete Calipari mode. Yes we want to go after top tier guys but you also go after guys like this.
Still don’t like the comment of recruiting players at his position, you can still believe in someone and have a role while having a good team to play with. He isn’t the only player on the team/

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
I believe joey Hart could be a better option
Could be but you can tell that kid has skill, he definitely relies on knowing the game over athletic ability and those are the guys who have killed us recently. Obviously we want a good mix of long term potential and team building, young and old, portal and HS.

Pope has zero national name recognition, so UK isn't getting any high school player of note & quite frankly there aren't very many unsigned players left anyway. They are also way behind in portal recruiting, so don't expect much quality depth from there. Where does that leave them? A looming disaster, I'd say.

Reactions: catman111

No I'm not.

I would explain, but these guys all interpreted it correctly:
80th ranked is fine. 80th ranked with his mind set is not. Hard no to this guy.
It’s not about where the kid is ranked. It’s that he’s saying if you recruit him he doesn’t want you to recruit over him. He specifically mentions the transfer portal but I have a feeling he’d also have hurt feelings if you brought in McNeely as well (I’m not saying that’s likely, I don’t think it is).

I want to get kids to develop, sure, but if the 80th kid in the class wants to come in and not have to fight for his spot that’s a big no thank you from me.
Still don’t like the comment of recruiting players at his position, you can still believe in someone and have a role while having a good team to play with. He isn’t the only player on the team/

And UConn is absolutely not an example of using whoever they want to win - they haven't brought in a three star in the past five years.

To be nationally dangerous, our roster needs to be filled with top 100 kids minimum (majority of whom should be top 50ish)
OR
other recruits who've proven themselves elsewhere and transfer in. Shouldn't be built around freshmen - your average starter should be somewhere in the soph-junior age range.

And at Kentucky, you should also be bringing in 1-2 five stars per year.

You shouldn't be bringing in 5 per year, and not a single one should be counting on a starting spot and have agents threatening to pull the kid if they don't get their way. That's the Cal horsecrap that we need to sprint away from.

Last edited:
I think his quote is being misconstrued. It sounds like he's just saying that he wants a coaching staff that wants to focus on player development instead of relying on transfer mercs year after year. He's probably just reciting something that Enfield used on the recruiting trail. His staff took transfers like Boogie Ellis, but their team was built around developing 4-star players over multiple seasons.

Campbell was heading to the bright lights of Los Angeles to play for USC. I don't think he's afraid of the competition or stage. Maybe it's worth talking to him to find out?

Reactions: Jkwo
I have to agree. Worrying about your spot, and saying so, is not a good predictor. It also does not indicate an unselfish desire to play for the name on the front of the jersey. Come, compete, help the team win, etc…

Having said that, I would still talk with him to get a full understanding of his goals and commitment.

I think his quote is being misconstrued. It sounds like he's just saying that he wants a coaching staff that wants to focus on player development instead of relying on transfer mercs year after year. He's probably just reciting something that Enfield used on the recruiting trail. His staff took transfers like Boogie Ellis, but their team was built around developing 4-star players over multiple seasons.

Campbell was heading to the bright lights of Los Angeles to play for USC. I don't think he's afraid of the competition or stage. Maybe it's worth talking to him to find out?
Sure, could be. My nose is just fine tuned for even the faintest whiff of "playing time guarantees" after the past decade.

If u watch closely you'll notice he tends to get downhill going left into a pull-up or drive to the basket. He's aigght.
I think his comment is being a bit misconstrued, but if not he's got a lot to learn about college basketball.

Baffling we have posters ok with this random recruit wanting a guaranteed spot as it is literally the same thing cal did with edwards and Wagner that we hated.

I'm gonna call people out when they show hypocrisy about something that's ok now with pope that wasn't with cal. It wasn't ok then and it sure isn't now.

Reactions: coachcombs57
I can see Pope being able to get 1 or 2 5* star each year. I truly do not think we know Pope recruiting efforts yet lol. It's what he does with all his players he gets. Will determine his fate here. It's just that simple.

You got Edward's, who could of developed into exact player we needed! But we seen it about once, at very end of year. Right before we played the games that mattered most lol. That's who I am glad is gone. Not Edward's, the coach lol.

This. I think he realizes he’s a multi-year player and marginal NBA, hence the reference to playing overseas, he just wants assurances he’ll be given a chance and developed rather than cast aside. Sounds to me like he’s “coachable” to use that term.

Baffling we have posters ok with this random recruit wanting a guaranteed spot as it is literally the same thing cal did with edwards and Wagner that we hated.

I'm gonna call people out when they show hypocrisy about something that's ok now with pope that wasn't with cal. It wasn't ok then and it sure isn't now.
I don't believe that's what he's actually saying, but he can't give any context or clarification since it was published.

As of this moment in time, Pope needs bodies and players that he can invest time in developing. There aren't many high school players left to choose from, but this one fits his style of play. It's worth reaching out to have a direct conversation about expectations instead of making a judgment based on a quote that was published through a third-party.

Still wondering who the two guys were that called him and said they’d play for him at UK, just not BYU?
Pope has a very likable personality. I think now that he has abundant resources at his disposal, he will start killing it on the recruiting trail. I think parents will love him. I don’t see any reason why he couldn’t eventually have the same type of success as Hurley, Oates, Drew, etc.

Still wondering who the two guys were that called him and said they’d play for him at UK, just not BYU?
Pope has a very likable personality. I think now that he has abundant resources at his disposal, he will start killing it on the recruiting trail. I think parents will love him. I don’t see any reason why he couldn’t eventually have the same type of success as Hurley, Oates, Drew, etc.

He should have a lot more success than Oats and drew. This is Kentucky and he has a lot more NIL to work with than the previous staff. He should do well if he can mesh the correct roster each season.

No one cares about his ranking. It’s his shitty attitude. I bet you if Travis Perry told pope, I’ll stay committed to you as long as boogie fland decommits, you don’t recruit anyone else at my position, freshman or portal, and if you get me professional as fast as possible. NBA or overseas. I would want pope to tell him to go fly a kite.
CHILL OUT!! It was just an in general comment made about players ranked in this area building going forward with some pieces to stabilize the roster. Players like Perry stay multiple years and can supplement a roster around them. Nothing about this player in general. Lose the hostility with me and throughout this thread. Uncalled for how you all just pile on and misconstrue everything. I really don't get the Perry point you are trying to make when he was coming in here behind Boogie Fland under Cal originally and not knowing what Sheppard's plans are.

Last edited:

Like I said to the other poster, my post was an in general comment made about players ranked in this area building going forward with some pieces like this to stabilize the roster. Furthering the point made by FrankUnderwood about people still stuck in Cal Era mode of recruiting. Never once mentioned Campbell by name. Obviously at Kentucky you will have to get higher ranked ones but it is these guys like Perry who will stay multiple years.

Not a lot of context with that quote. May just be a severe reaction to the hiring of a churn and burn artist like Muss.

Would be interested to know if he’s as dedicated to pursuing championships as he is to pursuing pro basketball. Can’t really tell from that one quote.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
CHILL OUT!! It was just an in general comment made about players ranked in this area building going forward with some pieces to stabilize the roster. Players like Perry stay multiple years and can supplement a roster around them. Nothing about this player in general. Lose the hostility with me and throughout this thread. Uncalled for how you all just pile on and misconstrue everything. I really don't get the Perry point you are trying to make when he was coming in here behind Boogie Fland under Cal originally and not knowing what Sheppard's plans are.
Yes. Travis Perry is a team player. He didn’t ask for these restrictions like the player this thread is about. Point being, this player is a POS and can go play elsewhere with his attitude. No hostility towards you. It’s towards the player who wants to be given, not earned.

Yes. Travis Perry is a team player. He didn’t ask for these restrictions like the player this thread is about. Point being, this player is a POS and can go play elsewhere with his attitude. No hostility towards you. It’s towards the player who wants to be given, not earned.
That is fine and I wouldn't want a recruit that isn't a team player over a portal guy with experience anyway. I just think that the people who are still stuck on the Calipari era of recruiting but wanting 3-4 year players aren't being realistic with how that is done. If there are people seriously thinking you can sign top 10 guys and just because Calipari is gone that they are going to stay multiple years. They are in for a rude awakening. I'm not opposed to having those recruits in this program but never want to build rosters with majority freshmen as Cal did over and over.

One thing our fans have to get out of there head. 81 is not far down. That's not a diamond in the rough. Top 100 in the country is a great recognition. The top 25 kids are usually the NBA talent,high athleticism kids. Give me 5 Darius Miller skilled players every year.

One thing our fans have to get out of there head. 81 is not far down. That's not a diamond in the rough. Top 100 in the country is a great recognition. The top 25 kids are usually the NBA talent,high athleticism kids. Give me 5 Darius Miller skilled players every year.
I don't think kids rated that far down are scrubs if that is what you are implying. Was just trying to politely disagree on this forum without getting my head cut off by those who act like Kentucky will all of a sudden stop landing talented players just because classes from here on won't be littered with Burger Boys all in the Top 10.. If you read the rest of my posts in this thread, I clearly made the case for how there are still talented players in that range to build around for 3-4 years and listing Perry was one of them to further my point. Reeves coming out of HS was even lower than that. Don't paint me into the picture as one of them who thinks there aren't good players in that range because that is not what I meant at all. Your post would be better off telling the poster above who is the one that stated Top 100 players will take some getting used too.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT