ADVERTISEMENT

Lexington shootings

Bill - Shy Cat

All-American
Mar 29, 2002
LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - Lexington police are investigating a deadly shooting near Bluegrass Community and Technical College.

Police say they were dispatched to Newtown Pike for a shooting with a victim around 4:40 p.m. on Tuesday. (June 4th)

Officers found a male victim with multiple gunshot wounds.

He died.

Between Lexington and Louisville crime is way out of control. Yes yes I understand it's down some the last few years, but being down from a 400% increase is still way out of control.

Both the cause and solution are clear.

Between Lexington and Louisville crime is way out of control. Yes yes I understand it's down some the last few years, but being down from a 400% increase is still way out of control.

Both the cause and solution are clear.
Well, don't keep such important information to yourself. Post it here so I can pass it on to Mayor Gorton and Chief Weathers next time I run into them

A guy I went to high school was beaten to death a few weeks ago near the old Parkette. What a sad, sad thing.

I will say this -- the fact that this is only the 6th homicide of the year in Lexington is a sign of improvement. Parts of Lexington have been Little Baghdad for too long.

Because people stopped being tough on crime. They need to get back.

We incarcerate more of our citizens than any country in the world and have since 1985. Crime is still there. (It’s actually lower now than it was then. It just seems worse because of how rapidly information can be disseminated worldwide today.) Overuse of incarceration as punishment only creates serial re-offenders. Furthermore, if someone commits a crime rooted in mental illness, throwing that person in jail only makes them more mentally ill and more prone to re-offend upon release.

I agree that we should be tougher on violent criminals, but maybe stop putting people in jail for simple drug possession and other petty misdemeanors where there’s no real victim.

We incarcerate more of our citizens than any country in the world and have since 1985. Crime is still there. (It’s actually lower now than it was then. It just seems worse because of how rapidly information can be disseminated worldwide today.) Overuse of incarceration as punishment only creates serial re-offenders. Furthermore, if someone commits a crime rooted in mental illness, throwing that person in jail only makes them more mentally ill and more prone to re-offend upon release.

I agree that we should be tougher on violent criminals, but maybe stop putting people in jail for simple drug possession and other petty misdemeanors where there’s no real victim.
The problem with that is drug users / addicts graduate to more serious crimes. If they do not have money for their fix, they turn to robbery to get it. Armed robbery or violent robberies.

The problem with that is drug users / addicts graduate to more serious crimes. If they do not have money for their fix, they turn to robbery to get it. Armed robbery or violent robberies.

That’s why addiction should be treated as a public health issue and not a criminal issue. Treatment is more effective than incarceration. If a violent crime is committed by a previous drug offender throw the book at them, but putting someone in jail for years on a first offense drug charge is overkill. (It used to be a mandatory 10 for possession of 5 grams of crack. Same sentence for powder cocaine is for 500 grams. Seems like the disparity was designed to target poor users.)

And, all drugs aren’t created equal. I have a relative who did 5 years in state prison in the 80s for possessing 400 grams (a little more than a pound) of marijuana that he grew on his property. Dude was just an old hippie, but was treated like a hardened criminal for the crime of …. Illegal horticulture.

Who cares if we're first. We clearly don't do enough of it. The attempts to broad stroke give everyone benefit of the doubt by giving them multiple chances. Problem is most of those people don't deserve it. However there are never enough people to do the reviews.

Stop being so lenient. Make examples. I guarantee you the ridiculously high car thefts, for example, would end practically overnight if the judges maxed everyone out. Instead prosecutors don't push the cases and judges don't enforce the law. So we have neverending thefts and worse.

That’s why addiction should be treated as a public health issue and not a criminal issue. Treatment is more effective than incarceration. If a violent crime is committed by a previous drug offender throw the book at them, but putting someone in jail for years on a first offense drug charge is overkill. (It used to be a mandatory 10 for possession of 5 grams of crack. Same sentence for powder cocaine is for 500 grams. Seems like the disparity was designed to target poor users.)

And, all drugs aren’t created equal. I have a relative who did 5 years in state prison in the 80s for possessing 400 grams (a little more than a pound) of marijuana that he grew on his property. Dude was just an old hippie, but was treated like a hardened criminal for the crime of …. Illegal horticulture.

Like sending social workers instead of police. This thought process is exactly the problem. People want to feel good by giving people more chances than they deserve.

There are treatment options that can happen in custody. If people want to change they will.

Get tough on crime and this all stops.

Who cares if we're first. We clearly don't do enough of it. The attempts to broad stroke give everyone benefit of the doubt by giving them multiple chances. Problem is most of those people don't deserve it. However there are never enough people to do the reviews.

Stop being so lenient. Make examples. I guarantee you the ridiculously high car thefts, for example, would end practically overnight if the judges maxed everyone out. Instead prosecutors don't push the cases and judges don't enforce the law. So we have neverending thefts and worse.
Okay, honest question - assuming we did it your way, I assume you're also in favor of much higher taxes to pay for all these new prisons and guards to incarcerate all of these carjackers?

Okay, honest question - assuming we did it your way, I assume you're also in favor of much higher taxes to pay for all these new prisons and guards to incarcerate all of these carjackers?

We don't need higher taxes. We need better spending and stop wasting money on nonsense.

Also just an fyi we are already being taxed on it in the form of increased insurance premiums. So the money is coming out of our pockets anyway.

I’ll take Things Liberals Say for $2000, Alex

Reactions: cole854
Like sending social workers instead of police. This thought process is exactly the problem. People want to feel good by giving people more chances than they deserve.

There are treatment options that can happen in custody. If people want to change they will.

Get tough on crime and this all stops.
El Salvador put the criminals in jail and took their country back. Time to do that here. Go round up the gang members, junkies and drug dealers and this all goes away. Lock them up and throw away the key. F em.

You heard it here first. Stop being so lenient, be tough on crime, something about inmates running the asylum, and overflow our jails and prisons while also cutting funding for those same jails and prisons. Oh, and take our country back. Remember when we used to have our country and there was no crime, no violence? When was that again? Did we used to live in a children's book?

Take our country back and be tough on crime aren't solutions, those are applause lines that you've heard from countless politicians trying to get your vote. God love the Paddock, man. All we need to do is use some phrases from bumper stickers and we've got another problem solved before the sun sets.

You heard it here first. Stop being so lenient, be tough on crime, something about inmates running the asylum, and overflow our jails and prisons while also cutting funding for those same jails and prisons. Oh, and take our country back. Remember when we used to have our country and there was no crime, no violence? When was that again? Did we used to live in a children's book?

Take our country back and be tough on crime aren't solutions, those are applause lines that you've heard from countless politicians trying to get your vote. God love the Paddock, man. All we need to do is use some phrases from bumper stickers and we've got another problem solved before the sun sets.
What's your solution then? Let's hear it. I guess we just need to love on the criminals and hope they come around?

Reactions: LineSkiCat14

Weed charges now days is not near the same as the 80's. BUT, if a offender has already been thru treatment and gets caught again, he should face the punishment (not weed). First offense for drug possession should be treatment, along with parole or shelf the sentence if he completes treatment. If a addict is told "OK, you will go thru treatment, but no jail time, but if you commit a second offense, your original sentence plus a sentence for the 2nd offense will be enforced", MAYBE they will take it serious. I have had SEVERAL relatives in and out of treatment, only to commit the same offense again. Treatment is a good option, but the % of users who do it again are a lot higher than the ones who do not. So I guess the courts look at it as a "get out of jail free card" for 1st offenders, knowing more than likely they will see the same person again.
I do not agree that someone should get 3/4 chances before they are punished, but 1st time offenders I can see offering treatment, but with disclaimers.

Also, prior criminal record should come into play for 1st time drug possession sentences. Some people are just lifetime criminals and they graduate up to more serious charges as they go. Even if they are 1st offenders for drug possession, if the have a long criminal record, do the treatment thing while in jail. No free passes for someone with a history of arrest. Also, fine them to cover cost of any sentence / treatments and strictly enforce the fines.

Weed charges now days is not near the same as the 80's. BUT, if a offender has already been thru treatment and gets caught again, he should face the punishment (not weed). First offense for drug possession should be treatment, along with parole or shelf the sentence if he completes treatment. If a addict is told "OK, you will go thru treatment, but no jail time, but if you commit a second offense, your original sentence plus a sentence for the 2nd offense will be enforced", MAYBE they will take it serious. I have had SEVERAL relatives in and out of treatment, only to commit the same offense again. Treatment is a good option, but the % of users who do it again are a lot higher than the ones who do not. So I guess the courts look at it as a "get out of jail free card" for 1st offenders, knowing more than likely they will see the same person again.
I do not agree that someone should get 3/4 chances before they are punished, but 1st time offenders I can see offering treatment, but with disclaimers.

I could support that. I am all for harshly punishing repeat offenders, but do not favor harsh punishments for non-violent first time offenders.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
Also, prior criminal record should come into play for 1st time drug possession sentences. Some people are just lifetime criminals and they graduate up to more serious charges as they go. Even if they are 1st offenders for drug possession, if the have a long criminal record, do the treatment thing while in jail. No free passes for someone with a history of arrest. Also, fine them to cover cost of any sentence / treatments and strictly enforce the fines.

I think that kind of falls under “persistent felony offender” where new charges are amplified if the person has a history of felony offenses.

I think that kind of falls under “persistent felony offender” where new charges are amplified if the person has a history of felony offenses.
Not saying all of the previous crimes had to be felonies. If they have prior felony convictions, treatment is off the table for me. I was talking stuff like multiple DUI's, theft, etc. No, a repeat felon gets no free pass. Yeah, PFO's / 3rd strike offenders face serious time, treatment is not even in the discussion, nor should it be.

Just curious, after your brother got pinched for 5 years and got out, how much more weed did he grow ?

Just curious, after your brother got pinched for 5 years and got out, how much more weed did he grow ?

It was a cousin, but I’d say he grew several hundred more pounds if not more.

He went into prison in 1984 and was released in 1989, passed away in 2019. He never stopped smoking or growing as far as I know. He had some good nugs back in the 90s when everyone else was smoking brown Mexican bricks.

What's your solution then? Let's hear it. I guess we just need to love on the criminals and hope they come around?
Buddy, I don't have many solutions because I'm just a guy online. Remember, I'm not the one who claimed to know the cause and solution lol. There are judges who are too lenient while others are the opposite. If you find yourself with a bit of political power, good luck picking out every judge in your area you believe to be too lenient and somehow replacing them with judges who promise to throw the book at anyone who looks at them sideways. And good luck giving everyone max sentences, tossing them in overflowing prisons, and forgetting they exist while local politicians cut funding to those places. We've had weed dealers serving 10 year sentences and rapists getting out after 10 months, so yes, improvements can be made but I don't think ruling with an iron fist is the smartest play. Others have tried that in history and it usually doesn't work out so well.

I live in reality and in that reality we're sometimes a violent and stupid world. There hasn't been a time when humans ruled where we weren't violent and stupid. Can we do a bit better overall? Of course. Now how do we get there? I can tell you it's not be repeating cheesy slogans and pretending we don't have a nation anymore.

Reactions: chroix
I'll always enjoy the overflowing confidence people on the internet have.
I always enjoy the fly by enlightenment.

It never fails when I see a thread title and can say with confidence...this is def a thread nightwish has opened, maybe cherry picked one reply and said "you know, I'm very smart" and then vanishes

Confirmation bias is a wild thing

I'll always enjoy the overflowing confidence people on the internet have.
So no opinion on the discussion ? Just a one liner trying to look like the smartest person in the room ? By the way, you didn't accomplish what you set out to do. What is wrong, scared your thoughts on the discussion will not measure up or not be an intelligent enough view ?

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Agreed to some extent. I bet Donald Trump would agree also. ;)

If you want to find one of the root causes of non-violent drug offenders catching inordinately long prison sentences, do a little research on Joe Biden.

Keep digging, and you'll learn why he was so keen on it.

I've posted all of the pertinent evidence (with references) on here, so just do a keyword search on my posts, if that will make it easier for you.

Last edited:
The greatest shooters in Lexington history:

Since 1947. 100 shots minimum.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/statistics/careerfieldgoalpercent.html

5. Rodney Dent: 60.83% (45 games, 146/240)
4. Anthony Davis: 62.31% (40 games, 210/347)
3. Nick Richards: 62.86% (105 games, 281/447)
2. Michael Bradley: 65.85% (69 games, 187/284). Heh. 69. That number's funny because...

It's the only natural number whose square (4,761) and cube (328,509) use every digit from zero to nine exactly once. Also, it's the largest number whose factorial is less than a googol (10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000).

Heh heh. Heh.

beavis-and-butt-head.jpg

1. Marcus Lee: 66.04% (100 games, 175/265)

And:

As for the other kind of shooters, there's jack that folks like us can do about it aside from try not to get shot. Good luck, everybody! I'm pullin' for us!

Heh. "Pullin'".

Violent crime bottomed out in the early 2000’s because of tougher sentencing and more intentional policing.

The bs argument that “locking people up doesn’t make us safer” from the last 10 years is why we saw an increase in violent crime.

Efforts to get tougher have helped lower the rate again.

We need to be tougher on violent crime and repeat property and drug criminals.

We need to be smarter with drug addicts.

If you want to find one of the root causes of non-violent drug offenders catching inordinately long prision sentences, do a little research on Joe Biden.

Keep digging, and you'll learn why he was so keen on it.

I've posted all of the pertinent evidence (with references) on here, so just do a keyword search on my posts, if that will make it easier for you.
Repeat drug offenders aren’t being jailed for absurdly long sentences anymore.

We’ve got a ton of treatment options for folks now. The issue is the easy access to drugs and the flood (supply) of drugs.

I always enjoy the fly by enlightenment.

It never fails when I see a thread title and can say with confidence...this is def a thread nightwish has opened, maybe cherry picked one reply and said "you know, I'm very smart" and then vanishes

Confirmation bias is a wild thing
So no opinion on the discussion ? Just a one liner trying to look like the smartest person in the room ? By the way, you didn't accomplish what you set out to do. What is wrong, scared your thoughts on the discussion will not measure up or not be an intelligent enough view ?
Stop being so sensitive, guys. There's a pocket of you who disagree with me politically so you want to focus on my every word and pretend we now must bicker. A poster literally said he knew the source and solution to the problem of crime in America then followed up with bumper sticker slogans. It's a complicated issue and pretending you know the ins and outs of what causes it and how to stop it just looks a little foolish. Pardon me for taking the piss out of it, as some might say.

There's definitely a tonal shift here on local crime as opposed to gun violence and mass shootings. In this thread, there's strong opinions about "getting tough" and filling up prisons and the like. In every mass shooting thread we've had, the opinion shifts to "well, evil exists and we can't stop it. Gotta just live with it. Carry a gun at all times and whenever you enter a building, look for quick exits in case you need to run." I guess if it's a mass shooting, it's a Michael Myers-like evil that's impossible to stop. If it's local drug and gun violence, slogans should do the trick.

It all starts at home, boys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT