ADVERTISEMENT

Lest we forget 2019-2020?

C'mon... Splitting hairs here... Because the difference between a 1 seed and a 2 seed is a couple of spots in the poll.
It’s not splitting hairs. It’s the difference between having a standard of excellence and a standard of pretty good. A guy that’s been watching Kentucky basketball his whole life should be able to see the difference.

when I see cal supporters, I think of nascar. Why you may ask? Because they go in circles. On one hand it’s all about March and loses to Evansville and Richmond don’t matter, but if we make the elite 8 and lose there that’s a good season. If Cal goes and recruits shooters, it’s hey look… Cal is adjusting to the new way of basketball. But when we go 1-13 behind the arc it’s well we need better shooters.
Does any of this make sense? How can you continue to support this guy?

C'mon... Splitting hairs here... Because the difference between a 1 seed and a 2 seed is a couple of spots in the poll.
We were 9-16 last year man, 9-16 and he's followed it up with losses to the only 2 power 5 teams we've played and he's still telling us that he's trying to still figure out his team. What? He has no clue how to coach offense and he's 17-19 against non conference power 5 teams since he signed his deal.

If you think this is crap that is okay at UK, then you don't have a competitive bone in your body.

None of this crap is okay.

You do know we haven't made a final four in 6 seasons ?

Right. People will forgive a choppy regular season when you went to a Final Four last year, or even 2 years ago.

But 7 years ago?
17 and 19 would've been made all better had they eeked out wins against UNC and Auburn? Say they lose in the semis? That makes it that much more of a success than being as close to final four as you can be? Just trying to understand the parameters here. To me there's not a huge degree of difference.

Let's see here...

2010 - 1 seed
2011 - 4 seed
2012 - 1 seed
2013 - No seed
2014 - 8 seed
2015 - 1 seed
2016 - 4 seed
2017 - 2 seed
2018 - 5 seed
2019 - 2 seed
2020 - Projected 2 seed
2021 - Nope

Yep.... Horrible seasons yield those seeds, I tell ya.
Is that you Brad or is this Ellen?

Look, I understand yesterday sucked and it's a game we should have won. And coming off of last year, it looks like here we go again. But let's look back at just two seasons ago. That team started off 8-3, with losses to Evansville, and then back to back mid-December losses to Utah and Ohio State. That team went on to win the SEC, finished 25-6, was in line to be a 2-seed and had as good a chance as any team in the field to cut down the nets. Bash me all you want, but we have to remember the CBB season is a marathon and not a sprint. People calling for Cal's head also need to realize that means Antigua and Chin are gone, along with next year's recruiting class. A lot of prisoners of the moment around here. I'm confident this team will get better, won't have a shooting performance like they did yesterday too often, and will be a second weekend tournament team with potential to make a deep run. After turning over the staff, coming off a 9-16 season, some would call that a solid bridge year to building for the future.
This ain’t that team. These team lacks so much of what that team had, we legitimately have 1 Maybe 2 good players on this team when TyTy isn’t shitting himself.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Let's see here...

2010 - 1 seed
2011 - 4 seed
2012 - 1 seed
2013 - No seed
2014 - 8 seed
2015 - 1 seed
2016 - 4 seed
2017 - 2 seed
2018 - 5 seed
2019 - 2 seed
2020 - Projected 2 seed
2021 - Nope

Literally the only thing this shows is underachievement over the last 6 seasons. If you’re getting 2 seeds you should beat the teams you’re better than

O.320 winning percentage.

the only time a 0.320 a percentage is good anywhere Is baseball.
You guys realize every blue blood program struggled last year? I'm not using last year to debate anything. You're cherry picking from an extreme one-off year

17 and 19 would've been made all better had they eeked out wins against UNC and Auburn? Say they lose in the semis? That makes it that much more of a success than being as close to final four as you can be? Just trying to understand the parameters here. To me there's not a huge degree of difference.
The parameters are results. Not excuses and what ifs. Period.

But we didn't win those games in 17 and 19 and we don't live in fairy tale land.

What if we lost to Ohio State like we were supposed to in 11? What if Aaron didn’t hit all those shots in '14 or we lost to Wichita State, like we were supposed to?

Works both ways

When the point spread was set for yesterdays game it was obvious what was gonna happen
Just like ohio st vs duke game

But we didn't win tjose gsmes in 17 and 19 and we don't live in fairy tale land.

What if we lost to Ohio State like we were supposed to in 11? What if Aaron didn’t hit all those shots in '14 or we lost to Wichita State, like we were supposed to?

Works both ways
Exactly. Yet you were ok with Cal when it took Aaron's game winners? But you're not when the ball doesn't bounce the right way.

Works both ways

Doesn’t matter if he can’t coach offense.
You tell 'em, Richie ! ! !

And I would add ... Calipari not only can't coach offense -- he can't coach anything other than half-court, man-to-man defense. No half-court zone when the situation begs for it. And of course, no full-court zone trap press, even when his personnel is perfectly suited to run it.

And we haven't even mentioned the disgustingly pitiful in-game chokes !

We could go on, of course ... about not making the Final Four with Wall, Boogie, and Bledsoe in 2010; about losing in the NIT to Robert Morris in 2013; about losing to Wisconsin in 2015 with the best basketball talent, top to bottom, ever assembled on one team; about not making the Final Four with Bam, Fox, and Monk in 2017; about the Sweet Sixteen loss to Kansas State in 2018, when the road the the Final Four was wide open; about the loss in the 2019 Elite Eight to Auburn - a team we had beaten by 27 a month before; and, of course, the ignominious 9-16 just last season.

Ahh, the deceptiveness of those blue-colored glasses !

Exactly. Yet you were ok with Cal when it took Aaron's game winners? But you're not when the ball doesn't bounce the right way.

Works both ways
Cal was still getting legit game changing talent back then. That isn't happening now, but he's still trying to force his one and done system in todays game when it’s obvious to everyone else that it won't work.
The game has changed, too bad you and your hero haven’t noticed.

Reactions: catben
Let's see here...

2010 - 1 seed
2011 - 4 seed
2012 - 1 seed
2013 - No seed
2014 - 8 seed
2015 - 1 seed
2016 - 4 seed
2017 - 2 seed
2018 - 5 seed
2019 - 2 seed
2020 - Projected 2 seed
2021 - Nope

Quoting the great English philosopher Keith Richards.. or was it Mick Jagger... Yesterday don't matter if it's gone.

Cal was still getting legit game changing talent back then. That isn't happening now, but he's still trying to force his one and done system in todays game when it’s obvious to everyone else that it won't work.
The game has changed, too bad you and your hero haven’t noticed.
He ain't my hero. I'm just a UK basketball fan. I think Cal is what's best for the program currently. The team we have now is not a one and done team in the slightest. To me, he's acclimating away from just one and done.

Tired of Cal getting credit for the canceled year. It was unsure that Hagans would even be returning, we only had one big who was often in foul trouble, got demolished by Tennessee and needed a miracle comeback against Florida. Not a recipe for NCAA success.

You're right...the Richards/Quickley/Maxey team was a mess early and got it going in SEC play....but let's not have some revisionist history here.

1. The week before Covid shut it all down...we lost to a poor Tennessee team at home and had a miracle come back vs. a so so Florida team...and Hagans was acting like an idiot and was trending down as the season wore on. That team was heading to at best a 2 seed and more likely a 3 seed. Maybe they go on a run but I was thinking it was more likely a repeat of the Ullis/Murray team and not makign out of first weekend and for certain not past sweet 16 round.
2. So if this team can do something like that....it will be not what I expect after what I've seen. But nonethess...that is the ceiling for this team IMO and not a championship favorite...at best a sluggers chance in March.

We get to play it out but my money is on 10-11 loss season and 7-10 seed in NCAA....sort of alot like Tubby teams.

Reactions: catben and STL_Cat
Tired of Cal getting credit for the canceled year. It was unsure that Hagans would even be returning, we only had one big who was often in foul trouble, got demolished by Tennessee and needed a miracle comeback against Florida. Not a recipe for NCAA success.
Well if we're going to throw out 31 games, lets throw out the 25 from last season.

He ain't my hero. I'm just a UK basketball fan. I think Cal is what's best for the program currently. The team we have now is not a one and done team in the slightest. To me, he's acclimating away from just one and done.
It’s not a one-and-done team, so why are we 9 games in and he's still trying to figure his team out?

Most of this team most certainly is one and done.

I don’t make the rules. You have to make it sometimes. Close year after year has never been good enough.

Tubby’s life might have been different if Keith Bogans doesn’t sprain an ankle, or Sheray Thomas squeezes one rebound. Thin line, but there is a line.

I’m seriously (not like trolling or being a message board hot take guy or anything) shocked when people still talk about how we should believe Cal will pull this thing together like he did in some of those early seasons at Kentucky. Like we have any reason to believe that version of Cal even still exists. He’s like a totally different dude now and these are the results I expect from this new version of him. Jmho

We were 9-16 last year man, 9-16 and he's followed it up with losses to the only 2 power 5 teams we've played and he's still telling us that he's trying to still figure out his team. What? He has no clue how to coach offense and he's 17-19 against non conference power 5 teams since he signed his deal.

If you think this is crap that is okay at UK, then you don't have a competitive bone in your body.

None of this crap is okay.
Exactly. Also, why didn’t we see any pressing yesterday, to speed the game up? We’ve been doing it somewhat against these terrible teams. Not the entire game, but some.

I don’t remember us pressuring ND full court, not even once. Why in the hell was that?! Why didn’t we force tempo?! We NEVER do. It’s mind boggling.

Last edited:
I’m seriously (not like trolling or being a message board hot take guy or anything) shocked when people still talk about how we should believe Cal will pull this thing together like he did in some of those early seasons at Kentucky. Like we have any reason to believe that version of Cal even still exists. He’s like a totally different dude now and these are the results I expect from this new version of him. Jmho
So do you think the same of a guy like Izzo? (No, Michigan State is NOT UK when it comes to basketball). But he's won one title. At one time went to six final fours in 12 years. Those years aren't here anymore. Time for MSU to move on from him? Just curious.

Look, I understand yesterday sucked and it's a game we should have won. And coming off of last year, it looks like here we go again. But let's look back at just two seasons ago. That team started off 8-3, with losses to Evansville, and then back to back mid-December losses to Utah and Ohio State. That team went on to win the SEC, finished 25-6, was in line to be a 2-seed and had as good a chance as any team in the field to cut down the nets. Bash me all you want, but we have to remember the CBB season is a marathon and not a sprint. People calling for Cal's head also need to realize that means Antigua and Chin are gone, along with next year's recruiting class. A lot of prisoners of the moment around here. I'm confident this team will get better, won't have a shooting performance like they did yesterday too often, and will be a second weekend tournament team with potential to make a deep run. After turning over the staff, coming off a 9-16 season, some would call that a solid bridge year to building for the future.
But that team had a lot more talent. Emmanuel quickly, Hagans etc. This team only has TyTy That can create shot

I’m guessing Financial Planner has a really big client in Lexington that he’d hate to lose. Only rational explanation for defending this bullshit.
Haha I wish. I'm not defending the loss or Cal's coaching woes. He's not a perfect coach. But I'll stand by the fact he's still the right guy for the job, in my opinion.

I’m guessing Financial Planner has a really big client in Lexington that he’d hate to lose. Only rational explanation for defending this bullshit.
This whole deal should be characterized under “indefensible” at this point. If you’re defending this BS I would have to question your UK Basketball fandom. We cannot beat ANY power conference team anymore. It’s legit sad.

So do you think the same of a guy like Izzo? (No, Michigan State is NOT UK when it comes to basketball). But he's won one title. At one time went to six final fours in 12 years. Those years aren't here anymore. Time for MSU to move on from him? Just curious.
Most of my family lives in Michigan and are huge MSU fans. Tom Izzo is their guy and it doesn’t hurt that he beat duke in 2019 to make it to the FF.

I know hundreds of MSU fans and all of them are 100% Izzo fans, but they don’t have the same standards as UK, because they aren't a blue blood.

But that team had a lot more talent. Emmanuel quickly, Hagans etc. This team only has TyTy That can create shot
Were we talking about how much talent that team had when they were 8-3? No, that opinion was formed after you saw their results at the end of the year. IQ was no where close to being the SEC player of the year at that point. That's what I'm saying. Let's see where this season goes before calling it quits.

Most of my family lives in Michigan and are huge MSU fans. Tom Izzo is their guy and it doesn’t hurt that he beat duke in 2019 to make it to the FF.

I know hundreds of MSU fans and all of them are 100% Izzo fans, but they don’t have the same standards as UK, because they aren't a blue blood.
Understood, and that's why I said they aren't UK. I'm not asking the opinions of MSU fans... I'll ask you... Should they move on from Izzo based on his results?

Understood, and that's why I said they aren't UK. I'm not asking the opinions of MSU fans... I'll ask you... Should they move on from Izzo based on his results?
No because their expectations are not even in the same realm as what Kentuckys are. But our expectations should be higher than this pure shit product.

Reactions: struggler
Guy hasn’t had a FF drought longer than 5 years and they’re Michigan St. Why would they move on from him?

2019 was the end of the great downfall of Cal. We lost to an Auburn team WITHOUT their best player. It was the blueprint of Cal's failures. It was the continuation of a trend that has plagued him in EVERY Big game loss. His shooters couldn't make shots when we needed them the most. Herro was really bad and it cost us. Just like 2010 with Bledsoe against WVU, 2011 with Knight against UConn, 2014 with A Harrison, 2015 with Booker against Wiscy, 2016 with Murray against IU, and 2017 with Monk against UNC.

In Cal's time here he will have relinquished the wins lead to KU, NOT fulfilled his VOW to pass UCLA in Championships, DESTROYED the home non-conference schedule all while making $10 million/year.

I was hopeful after listening to him all Summer that he was sick of the lack of offense his teams have displayed lately and he had done something to improve it, he HAS NOT. He is STILL using the same LAME excuses even though he has a ream FULL of upperclassmen.

Cal is the HIGHEST paid coach in NCAA Basketball at the PREMIER school in the country. The standard HE HIMSLEF calls "GOLD" is FAR from it now. But with such a HIGH buyout, it will be on him to fix it or he will continue to languish in the MISEARBLE condition of the program HE created.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT