ADVERTISEMENT

Leonard wants out of SA, looking at LA

Cardsstink

All-SEC
Mar 20, 2017
Bron and Leonard to LA. I called it! George would probably follow. Throw in Boogie and Golden State will go down.

Big Lakers fan. Not a LBJ fan. Not sure how I will feel about this if true.

PG - I Thomas, Lonzo Ball
SG - Kyle Kuzma, Josh Hart
SF - Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, Luol Deng
PF - LeBron, J Randle, Brandon Ingram
C - Cousins, Brook Lopez

I’m sure some of those will be gone obviously to make cap space, Deng, Hart, Lopez and Randle being most likely.

Not a bad squad.

Bron and Leonard to LA. I called it! George would probably follow. Throw in Boogie and Golden State will go down.

You're aware that Leonard is not a free agent, right? He's still under contract.

He can't just choose LA, instead the Spurs would have to agree to trade him there. What can the Lakers offer San Antonio to induce them to make that trade? Do you see anyone on their roster that you'd trade Kawhi for?

And how do you figure LA can fit all four of the guys you just mentioned (Lebron/George/Leonard/Boogie) within their salary cap?

Last edited:

C - Cousins, Brook Lopez

I’m sure some of those will be gone obviously to make cap space, Deng, Hart, Lopez and Randle being most likely.

Not a bad squad.

A real good day would be all the players to the Lakers and the one Ball was shown the door in a trade for......anyone.. That day I would donate a hundred dollars to charity.

Would love to see the Pels get him for Cousins. A lineup of Rondo, Holiday, Leonard, Mirotić, and AD with Miller as a sixth man would be very strong. And yes I know Leonard and Boogie might both be free agents at this point, just like imagining the Pels with Leonard.

Reactions: TM2013
Would love to see the Pels get him for Cousins. A lineup of Rondo, Holiday, Leonard, Mirotić, and AD with Miller as a sixth man would be very strong. And yes I know Leonard and Boogie might both be free agents at this point, just like imagining the Pels with Leonard.

Well, that's a really nice idea, AD and Kawhi would be awesome together.

But the problem is Boogie's an unrestricted free agent, so the Pels don't have him to trade. They'd have to give up something else, and to get Kawhi, that would have to be something BIG.

Reactions: WildMoon
You're aware that Leonard is not a free agent, right? He's still under contract. He can't just choose LA, instead the Spurs would have to agree to trade him there. What can the Lakers offer San Antonio to induce them to make that trade? Do you see anyone on their roster that you'd trade Kawhi for?

And how do you figure that LA can fit all the guys you just mentioned (Lebron/George/Leonard/Boogie) within their salary cap?

LOL, are you always agitated by hypothetical posts on a message board? Maybe stick your head in the freezer for a bit.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Well, that's a really nice idea, AD and Kawhi would be awesome together.

But the problem IS Boogie's an unrestricted free agent, so the Pels don't have him to trade. They'd have to give up something else, and to get Kawhi, that would have to be something BIG.

For sure. Boo on Boogie being a free agent.

Reactions: UK90
Again, the most important aspect in this entire scenario is that Leonard can't leave. He has to be granted a trade, and Pop won't give a ish were he ends up, just what the Spurs will get back. Pop will do Leonard ZEROS favors because that circus last year.

Reactions: Sburke1150
Again, the most important aspect in this entire scenario is that Leonard can't leave. He has to be granted a trade, and Pop won't give a ish were he ends up, just what the Spurs will get back. Pop will do Leonard ZEROS favors because that circus last year.

Can Leonard deny trades or will he have to go where sent to?

Idk if this will happen; but the lakers 100% have the ability to sign Lebron and 1 other “star” via trade/ FA

There was a particular poster on this board who said anyone who believed this was possible was an idiot who “didn’t understand the NBA” Lol

Can Leonard deny trades or will he have to go where sent to?
No, he has to go where they trade him, one year left on his contract. But he can state publicly where he's willing to sign next year. If you're not on the list, you'd have to think long and hard about losing a ton of players / draft picks for a 1-year rental. So he has leverage, but not control.

Idk if this will happen; but the lakers 100% have the ability to sign Lebron and 1 other “star” via trade/ FA

There was a particular poster on this board who said anyone who believed this was possible was an idiot who “didn’t understand the NBA” Lol
They can easily sign 2 max contracts. ESPN explained how they could sign 3 max contracts, but they'd lose a lot of depth. Might be worth it for the right trio.

Might as well embrace the superteams. Makes the playoffs fun and the regular seasons useless, I guess that’s a fair trade off.

If I were LA, I’d trade for Leonard, sign Lebron and Boogie and forget Paul George who is one of the most overrated players in the league imo. Also rumors of trading for Lillard as well. That team would easily take down GS

Reactions: Cardsstink
The Lakers have desirable assets. Ingram, Ball, Kuzma, Hart. They have the 25th pick in this draft and future picks.

They also have the ability to sign and trade Randle.

A lot of different ways this could go down, but to suggest it can’t or definitely won’t get done is incorrect.

They can easily sign 2 max contracts. ESPN explained how they could sign 3 max contracts, but they'd lose a lot of depth. Might be worth it for the right trio.

They give up a lot for 2 max slots. Don't they have to find a home for Deng or renounce Randal and everyone else? Finding a home for Deng's terrible contract will not be easy as not a lot of teams have space to absorb that contract. Of course the Lakers have a horseshoe up their butts; dumping Clarkson's terrible contract on the Cavs along with Nance while receiving a first is a heist that could change the shape of the league for a decade.

What's the path to 3 max slots? It's $66.3m for James and PG alone (10+ year and 9 year veteran max contract starting points).

C - Cousins, Brook Lopez

Not a bad squad.
Kuzma is not a SG. Lmao. But Lakers would have to offload Dengs contract, renounce their free agents rights and trade two of Lonzo/Kuzma/Ingram plus probably a pick to get Kawhi

Reactions: Big_Blue79
You're aware that Leonard is not a free agent, right? He's still under contract.

He can't just choose LA, instead the Spurs would have to agree to trade him there. What can the Lakers offer San Antonio to induce them to make that trade? Do you see anyone on their roster that you'd trade Kawhi for?

And how do you figure LA can fit all four of the guys you just mentioned (Lebron/George/Leonard/Boogie) within their salary cap?

If I'm the Spurs.. or any other team outside of GSW, Houston and a few others.. I'm conceding the next few years to GSW. Spurs can't make enough moves to contend, only a few teams could. Clean house and start working towards the new phase of the NBA and trying to build a super team and get a player to take a paycut like KD did.

Sadly, a lot of teams should be looking at 2021, instead of 2018..

C - Cousins, Brook Lopez

Not a bad squad.

LOL Kuzma

Might as well embrace the superteams. Makes the playoffs fun and the regular seasons useless, I guess that’s a fair trade off.

If I were LA, I’d trade for Leonard, sign Lebron and Boogie and forget Paul George who is one of the most overrated players in the league imo. Also rumors of trading for Lillard as well. That team would easily take down GS

Jack Nicholson, in his later years, would make sure the money got scraped together to make that happen!

If I'm the Spurs.. or any other team outside of GSW, Houston and a few others.. I'm conceding the next few years to GSW. Spurs can't make enough moves to contend, only a few teams could. Clean house and start working towards the new phase of the NBA and trying to build a super team and get a player to take a paycut like KD did.

The cap spike coupled with Steph's absurdly low salary really borked up the NBA. Also IIRC Klay and Draymond both took slightly less than the max, meaning their salaries were set and not a % of the cap, which helped GSW a lot with the cap spike (but don't quote me on that).

Reactions: LineSkiCat14

C - Cousins, Brook Lopez

Not a bad squad.
So the Spurs are gonna just give Kawhi to the Lakers for nothing and the NBA will make the cap $170 million for the Lakers? Sounds reasonable.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
They give up a lot for 2 max slots. Don't they have to find a home for Deng or renounce Randal and everyone else? Finding a home for Deng's terrible contract will not be easy as not a lot of teams have space to absorb that contract. Of course the Lakers have a horseshoe up their butts; dumping Clarkson's terrible contract on the Cavs along with Nance while receiving a first is a heist that could change the shape of the league for a decade.

What's the path to 3 max slots? It's $66.3m for James and PG alone (10+ year and 9 year veteran max contract starting points).

If the Lakers renounce everyone but Randle, and move Deng without taking back salary, they have almost exactly your $66 million number for James and George.

They could then go over the cap to resign Randle.

After all of those maneuvers, they could trade for Kawhi, potentially sending out some combination of Ball, Ingram, draft pick, Zubac, Ennis, Hart, Kuzma, Bryant?

Kawhi’s salary is only $20 million next year, so the Lakers would only have to send out $15 million or so.

Ball and Ingram gets you to $13 mil+, or most of the way there. Then you fill out the roster with exceptions.

So the Spurs are gonna just give Kawhi to the Lakers for nothing and the NBA will make the cap $170 million for the Lakers? Sounds reasonable.

Not saying the Spurs will trade Kawhi to the Lakers. They very well may not.

“Nothing” is subjective. The Spurs may like the package the Lakers put together.

And the cap will be the cap. Lakers would exceed the cap in this scenario and pay luxury tax. Just like Golden State and Cleveland are doing now.

Boston has the assets to trade for Leonard and still have a stacked team.

Boston has the assets to trade for Leonard and still have a stacked team.

They do. Question becomes how many assets teams are willing to part with, without assurances of Kawhi resigning. How much do you pay for a one year rental?

Other question is do the Spurs do a lesser deal anyway to avoid helping the Lakers?

Might as well embrace the superteams.

[sick]

Sadly, a lot of teams should be looking at 2021, instead of 2018

This should be the mindset of any team not named Golden State, Houston, Boston and whichever team lands LeBron. If LeBron goes to Houston, cross off the mystery team.

Oh great, more pussy super teams to watch.

I couldn't put it any better myself. Wish these wimpy superstars would grow a pair and try to compete for their titles.

The Cavs front office and the Spurs front office are 2 different things. They're not just gonna load up another team to appease a disgruntled player they have under contract.

Kawhi and his team want a bigger shoe deal and Nike isn't giving it to him so Kawhi thinks that being in San Antonio is the reason why he isn't big enough for a better shoe deal

ADVERTISEMENT