ADVERTISEMENT

Lent Prep Thread - Best Fish In Kentucky

8titles

Senior
Dec 2, 2004
Have had plenty of best steak and pizza threads. Figured we could talk a little fish In preparation for lent. I was a huge fan of Loudon Square‘s fish but they closed after Max passed they closed it down. Where is the best fish you have either by the filet or on a sandwich ano what type of fish was it? Charlies is good in Lexington but looking for a second option around here.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Charlie's is okay, but typically overrated by people. Ramsey's has the best fish sandwich in town. Smithtown Seafood and Winchell's are good options too.

Reactions: 8titles
Charlie's is okay, but typically overrated by people. Ramsey's has the best fish sandwich in town. Smithtown Seafood and Winchell's are good options too.
I need to try Smithtown. I agree on Charlie’s too, never been a huge fan. Great portions but not fond of the actual fish. Ramsey’s is catfish I believe which I’m not a fan of.

I personally think Moby Dick has great fish. Obviously others mentioned are at a different price level.

I'm looking for a good grouper sandwich in Louisville. Haven't had one since I moved back up here from Florida. (Had it at least once a week there)

Reactions: kyboy1998
O’Bryan’s tavern. Definition of dive bar but man their fish is killer!
Mike linnigs sucks
Went to O'Bryan's a few years ago and got to talking with the chef as I ate my fish. He pulled out the menu and asked if I ever looked at it. No. Then he started describing all of the different offerings and how good they were. OK. Then said, all anybody orders is the dam fish and walked away. Chef's are temperamental bastahds.

Mike Linnings is great but expensive.

St. Gabriel has a good fish fry. So does Annuciation in Shelbyville.

Sal’s had the best but they recently closed.
There is a reason ML is expensive. They keep raising the prices, charge extra for pickles, bread and tartar sauce, long lines, slow service, etc and the crowds keep getting bigger. They are looking for ways to thin the crowd to a manageable number.

I was there a few years ago on a Saturday in the summer and they ran out of fish before the sun set.

Bud’s Tavern and Johnny O’s are in the Southend.
Passtime Grill is in J-town.
And if you are want to take PawPaw and Mema, there is still a Hungry Pelican in Fern Creek.
I have heard good things about Hungry Pelican. I like St. Bernard's fish. They get a large crowd during Lent.

Smithtown is really good but it's beer battered. That's not catholic lent style.

Charlie's has the breading right but it's drastically under-seasoned. Kind of a shame because the place has the look.

Mike Linnings will always have a place in my heart. Growing up just a couple miles away we spent tons of nights rolling down the flood wall and playing on the swings. I love that place.

O'Brien's is a gem. Also, a couple miles from childhood home. Has a case for best in Louisville.

I have heard good things about Hungry Pelican. I like St. Bernard's fish. They get a large crowd during Lent.
I meant to go try the Hungry Pelican place and forgot about it until you mentioned it. It was recommended to me awhile back but completely slipped my mind.

Cunninghams fish smells like they haven’t changed out the grease in 12 years… but it gives the fry an authentic patina. Hot sass.

Tolly, the old soul slangin drinks double-fistin-stylie cause he ain’t coming back to your table made it the only non-Catholic church option.

I been catching a few nice Crappie, fried winter crappie tough to beat
Fried crappie is, IMHO, the very best fish, period.

Damn, we used to go to Green River Lake and Cumberland al the time, and we almost always had some crappie fillets in the freezer!!
Spoke to my cuz, who lives on Nolin Lake south of Leitchfield., this past Friday. Plan on visiting him come last week of April. Says he's got freezer bags full of filleted Crappie and Stripes with my name on 'em.

Huge feast awaits in about 8 more weeks.

Switch gears: Paddock power of suggestion. Googled "Fish Fry Austin". Great results for Quality Seafood Market. Plan on hitting 'em up next Friday or Saturday, depending on how I feel.

K-Paul's blackened redfish is one of my all time favorites. Unfortunately, the New Orleans eatery closed for good during covid. Here is a do it at home version. I would recommend using a cast iron skillet on your grill because it creates a lot of smoke.

Last edited:
I’m fascinated by the idea that beer -battered fish is frowned upon by the Church.
It isn't frowned upon but it takes way too long to prep and cook compared to flour/meal breading. At least that's the way I took it. I know the catholic church could care less.

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT