ADVERTISEMENT

Leary Interception Perfect Example of Frustration by Fans/Coaches

cardkilla

Junior
May 10, 2002
Dude has one of his best games all year then nearly loses us the game with the dumbest QB play I've seen in some time. This kinda play is exactly why UK hasn't had the season we expected. QB play been woefully underwhelming. Not sure if we need to stop getting transfers and go back to developing freshmen QBs or what. But last 2 transfers been underwhelming. Levis much better in game than Leary but he was limited.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
Dude has one of his best games all year then nearly loses us the game with the dumbest QB play I've seen in some time. This kinda play is exactly why UK hasn't had the season we expected. QB play been woefully underwhelming. Not sure if we need to stop getting transfers and go back to developing freshmen QBs or what. But last 2 transfers been underwhelming. Levis much better in game than Leary but he was limited.
We’ve never developed freshman qb’s (one of the biggest knocks on Stoops). All of our success has come with JUCO or transfer QB’s and a concreted WR….Johnson, Wilson, Levis and Leary.

But we have to develop QB’s moving forward to be successful imo

It would be nice to have a High school QB that has developed in a system for a couple of years. I think Leary was good, the drops and play calls made him look bad at times. Levis was a great QB, again the line, injury and play calls torpedoed him last year.

He holds the ball too long
One of the most mind blowing interceptions from a veteran QB that I’ve ever seen.
I AM NOT comparing him to Brett Farve. But Farve had those same traits and drove me crazy, lol . He always thought he could make the throw, whether it was wise or not . I’m thinking he holds the record for career interceptions in the nfl.

We’ve never developed freshman qb’s (one of the biggest knocks on Stoops). All of our success has come with JUCO or transfer QB’s and a concreted WR….Johnson, Wilson, Levis and Leary.

But we have to develop QB’s moving forward to be successful imo
Don't know why anyone would develop a QB these days.
To much NIL money and portal transfers to keep players.
If a coach puts in years to develop a QB what's to stop him from leaving?
IMHO

Don't know why anyone would develop a QB these days.
To much NIL money and portal transfers to keep players.
If a coach puts in years to develop a QB what's to stop him from leaving?
IMHO
That’s a valid take. I would love for us to develop a QB to jump in his sophomore year and be a 3 year starter.

Levis led UK to a 10 win season. He was way better than Leary.

If not for our pathetic defense against UT he takes UK to a 10 and 2 regular season n 2021.

If not for our pathetic defense against UT he takes UK to a 10 and 2 regular season n 2021.
No you're right about Levis. He definitely played his best in 2021, 2022 was a little disappointing. Not all his fault.

It just felt like this year we put all our eggs in the Leary basket and it didn't work out. No one to really push him to get better.

Leary is head and shoulders better than Levis in terms of college QB. Wandale was the difference. If this team had an elite wr they win at least two more games. Zero doubt.

Imo wandale is incredibly underrated by fans.

Our fanbase last week
"Louisville is trash, they aren't a top 10 team"
Today, "This victory is one of the biggest wins in history "

That is normally a UL saying this crap.

Not gonna lie…. This interception brought back memories of Jared Lorenzen’s (May he Rest In Peace) bone-headed INT versus the Gators back in 2003. Thankfully the outcome was different.
That turned facing the other way blind overhead interception when we had the chance to beat UF since I was a baby was infinitely worse since we beat UL but Leary’s int can’t be called anything but horrific.

Thanks for the memory tho.

Reactions: ukalum1988
Leary made some big time throws - he tried to throw that out of bounds but guy got him just in time
Kids make some mistakes like Key but then turn around and make great plays
Loved the effort by Leary yesterday unfortunately he played most of season behind a poor pass blocking Oline

But even that one 1 int aside....Leary played more of his typical mediocre football.

12-22 for 206 yards...1 TD (a swing pass to Ray Davis that he did all the YAC) and an awful int.. So barely 50% completion percentage. The dude looks right into a pass rusher and holds the ball....the Int he threw he clearly had time to just chuck the ball out of bounds and punt. He did the exact same thing earlier and it was incomplete but letting guys hit you while trying to throw is a recipe for a fumble or Int.

He again, falls in love with these sideline routes that are lower completion instead of going over middle of field. He did hit a good route to Barion on last drive that was a good throw (over the middle) and he hit Cummings on a nice route and sideline to Barion (I'd not advise to throw those). But he gets balls batted down as he's short and can't find passing lanes....hence his love with sideline routes.

I'm not a fan of him at all. He's the product of bad ACC football and I hope UK does not take QBs from there again. All things ACC are overhyped to me.

Reactions: catben
But even that one 1 int aside....Leary played more of his typical mediocre football.

12-22 for 206 yards...1 TD (a swing pass to Ray Davis that he did all the YAC) and an awful int.. So barely 50% completion percentage. The dude looks right into a pass rusher and holds the ball....the Int he threw he clearly had time to just chuck the ball out of bounds and punt. He did the exact same thing earlier and it was incomplete but letting guys hit you while trying to throw is a recipe for a fumble or Int.

He again, falls in love with these sideline routes that are lower completion instead of going over middle of field. He did hit a good route to Barion on last drive that was a good throw (over the middle) and he hit Cummings on a nice route and sideline to Barion (I'd not advise to throw those). But he gets balls batted down as he's short and can't find passing lanes....hence his love with sideline routes.

I'm not a fan of him at all. He's the product of bad ACC football and I hope UK does not take QBs from there again. All things ACC are overhyped to me.

He didn't have two other TD passes that were both incredible throws?

People keep bitching that Stoops is too conservative with the offense, but I saw a team this year that was TRYING to score often and fast, but simply didn’t execute. One, if not multiple, of the QB, WRs, and OL were always off. And it was very apparent our team wasn’t very good at trying to counter what the defense was giving them, resulting in running play clocks down. No offense is going to score a lot when there are a lot of mental errors (dropped balls, missed coverages, etc) and a bad OL.

He didn't have two other TD passes that were both incredible throws?
He threw a dime to Dane and another to Rey Davis…I csn give him all the credit….but why does the dude go thru three drives and can’t hit a pass ? He’s the lowest percentage completion of any stoops Qb…why is that ?

Both jd those td were sideline routes…I truly think he’s too short and can’t see middle of the field thus he always takes lower percentage sideline throws

He threw a dime to Dane and another to Rey Davis…I csn give him all the credit….but why does the dude go thru three drives and can’t hit a pass ? He’s the lowest percentage completion of any stoops Qb…why is that ?

Both jd those td were sideline routes…I truly think he’s too short and can’t see middle of the field thus he always takes lower percentage sideline throws

I don't think it's his height but I do think he struggles finding throwing lanes. His entire career in the gun kept that skill from developing.

One of the reasons for his low percentage was the astronomical drop rates. Then add in wrs not running the right routes. No separation against good competitors. Top it off with the constant feeding brown especially deep and it's a passing game cake that fell pretty flat.

As for him specifically though, I think he played well on the whole and at times great.

Leary had some amazing throws yesterday, he just has been so inconsistent. along with terrible WR play it's been most disappointing group on the team. What is the latest on Rogers possible transfer? Was it just a rumor?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT