ADVERTISEMENT

24/7 Final Top 150 Transfer Rankings…

It ain’t pretty. This is why I haven’t been high on the roster building like most here. I think Williams is too low and Garrison is too high but the rest are probably about right. I full expected being on the bubble next year before Kal left. I see nothing to make me change that expectation with the the roster coming in. We missed on too many good players.

We were linked to 6-7 of the top 12 at some point and got none of them. But do go on about how Orlando wasn’t need here for recruiting because we had Hart who was better. I was repeatedly told that.

- 22.) Brandon Garrison
- 33.) Otega Oweh
- 47.) Lamont Butler
- 69.) Andrew Carr
- 86.) Amari Williams
- 89.) Koby Brea
- 125.) Kerr Kriisa

If you would have been a member on this board longer than 2 months you would understand the INSIGNIFICANCE of preseason rankings ....
UK has had the top 2 or 3 of incoming highest freshman class ...REPEATEDLY.
Those boys got sent home by the St. Peter's and the Oaklands that ran an actual offense.
How bout you sit back and shut up and let the Pope coach. No one cares what you are high on....no one.

Last edited:
It ain’t pretty. This is why I haven’t been high on the roster building like most here. I think Williams is too low and Garrison is too high but the rest are probably about right. I full expected being on the bubble next year before Kal left. I see nothing to make me change that expectation with the the roster coming in. We missed on too many good players.

We were linked to 6-7 of the top 12 at some point and got none of them. But do go on about how Orlando wasn’t need here for recruiting because we had Hart who was better. I was repeatedly told that.

- 22.) Brandon Garrison
- 33.) Otega Oweh
- 47.) Lamont Butler
- 69.) Andrew Carr
- 86.) Amari Williams
- 89.) Koby Brea
- 125.) Kerr Kriisa

Again another thread. Pope is dumb, has no idea what that we kentucky fans know more about basketball than some idiot from Nebraska that only played for us for a couple of seasons and yeah your team won a title but you even though you were the big C of the team were just lucky to smell the locker room. Then after you did nothing until for some reason Mitch pulled you out of working the Piggly Wiggly as a bag boy because you were so stupid, that we now are the worst team in the history of college basketball and by the time you leave here in a couple of years we will no longer have a team.

If you are good enough to coach and choose players then get in the coaching ranks and pick your team. Line it up against Popes team.

Geez get off the big name, non producing high school players. Back in the day they did not go to college. They went straight to the league. That needs to happen again. College ball is 10 times better than NBA. Better to watch, better product all around.

Pope is getting the players he wants. He will coach them. After the year you can judge him. Who ranks these kids? I am guessing they must be a good as computer rankings system (we know that is flawless) lol.

Cal is gone. His crappy type of ball is in Fayetteville. If that is what you like, fine, start following the idiot in red.

Give the new coach a chance. or ack like you know better because you follow some other ranking system. I be Popes players last year would rank way low in the rankings. Guess what he did just about as good as Cal did. I think he won 1 post season game (Big 12 tourney) and did no worse that Cal. This negative crap of a Coach in week 3 of his tenure is just ridiculous.

Seems most don’t get it. These are just the transfers. It’s not the complete list for all of college players. Most of the best players didn’t enter the portal. That leaves so many guys with the potential to make a real impact. We missed on each one that we went at. Had Richmond and Davis been added to this roster I’d be thrilled and would be fine with what we have. They were legit top guys previously. Hoping that adding Robinson and things will be fine is a stretch.
Well, no shit. 7 of the top 125 players in all of CBB would beat the 2015 team.

7 of the top 125 cbb transfers is still much, much better than 7 of the top 125 freshmen for the reasons explained all over this thread prior.

Last edited:
It’s out of 2,000 transfers. We landed 7 in the top 5% of transfers

I actually think it's incredible that Pope has been able to do this in less than three weeks, seemingly with intenionality. The guys we have gotten are all different puzzle pieces.

Additionally, there's no way of knowing how much some of these highest rated transfers were asking for in NIL. When trying to build a complete roster, there is only so much NIL to spread around, even with the large donations.

If you would have been a member on this board longer than 2 months you would understand the INSIGNIFICANCE of preseason rankings ....
UK has had the top 2 or 3 of incoming highest freshman class ...REPEATEDLY.
Those boys got sent home by the St. Peter's and the Oaklands that ran an actual offense.
How bout you sit back and shut up and let the Pope coach. No one cares what you are high on....no one.
I’ve been a member here far longer than you. This isn’t about preseason rankings so try to keep up.

- 22.) Brandon Garrison
- 33.) Otega Oweh
- 47.) Lamont Butler
- 69.) Andrew Carr
- 86.) Amari Williams
- 89.) Koby Brea
- 125.) Kerr Kriisa

How about this. If Pope gets us farther in the sec or NCAA tournament than Cal did last year, you give everyone on this forum a nickel. Willing to make the wager?

- 22.) Brandon Garrison
- 33.) Otega Oweh
- 47.) Lamont Butler
- 69.) Andrew Carr
- 86.) Amari Williams
- 89.) Koby Brea
- 125.) Kerr Kriisa

Oh, you mean guys that likely didn't have any contact with our staff prior, didn't sign up to play with us in a matter of days from contact to committing? How embarrassing for us.

Again another thread. Pope is dumb, has no idea what that we kentucky fans know more about basketball than some idiot from Nebraska that only played for us for a couple of seasons and yeah your team won a title but you even though you were the big C of the team were just lucky to smell the locker room. Then after you did nothing until for some reason Mitch pulled you out of working the Piggly Wiggly as a bag boy because you were so stupid, that we now are the worst team in the history of college basketball and by the time you leave here in a couple of years we will no longer have a team.

If you are good enough to coach and choose players then get in the coaching ranks and pick your team. Line it up against Popes team.

Geez get off the big name, non producing high school players. Back in the day they did not go to college. They went straight to the league. That needs to happen again. College ball is 10 times better than NBA. Better to watch, better product all around.

Pope is getting the players he wants. He will coach them. After the year you can judge him. Who ranks these kids? I am guessing they must be a good as computer rankings system (we know that is flawless) lol.

Cal is gone. His crappy type of ball is in Fayetteville. If that is what you like, fine, start following the idiot in red.

Give the new coach a chance. or ack like you know better because you follow some other ranking system. I be Popes players last year would rank way low in the rankings. Guess what he did just about as good as Cal did. I think he won 1 post season game (Big 12 tourney) and did no worse that Cal. This negative crap of a Coach in week 3 of his tenure is just ridiculous.
I have no clue what that incoherent babble about Nebraska is about.

Idgaf about Kal or freshmen. Really don’t even care about the player rankings. Although they did seem to indicate what I already thought about the roster. I’m making my assumptions on the roster based seeing all the film I can find and looking at all the analytics and stats I can find on those players.

What he’s bringing in from the portal is similar to what Stoops has brought in from the portal. If the UK football standard is the same standard yall are fine with the basketball program having then that’s on yall.

I’m not gonna bury my head and the sand and act like everything has been great like so many seem to be doing. Like I said before, what Pope has would be great if there was also a Richmond and Davis or Reeves and Dillingham on the roster with them but that’s not the case. It’s missing 2 big scoring threats because it has zero as it stands.

Reactions: anonymous_2011
How about this. If Pope gets us farther in the sec or NCAA tournament than Cal did last year, you give everyone on this forum a nickel. Willing to make the wager?
Absolutely anyone can win a single postseason game, so no. But i absolutely would take the bet that Pope won’t finish with a better regular season record than this past year. Unless he pulls a few rabbits out of his hat then UK is looking at a 4th or 5th place finish in the league. That’s even with UT losing most everyone that played last year.
Oh, you mean guys that likely didn't have any contact with our staff prior, didn't sign up to play with us in a matter of days from contact to committing? How embarrassing for us.
It’s no different for any of the other coaches. That’s no excuse. Kal had no contact with Davis before a week or two ago and he’s probably getting him. Same with Baylor and Roach. It took them like 3 days to get him. I sure as hell doubt Quaintance had contact with ASU and Hurley before the last week or two.

Pretty tough to rank transfers but much of it seems very lazy and not much reasoning used. Just look at Brea compared to Garrison. Best shooter in the nation vs. high potential prospect who has shown flashes against solid comp. It’s silly to have Brea so low when his list was 5 blue bloods and shooting is at such a premium.

Reactions: AGEE11
Reeves had atleast proven to be a star from where he came from and a big scorer. Theres no reeves in this bunch.

As it stands I think Carr would be our returning leading scorer at 13ppg. Unless 3+ players take major jumps that won’t cut it.
Last year Antonio Reeves averaged 20.2 points on 13.9 shots a game.
1.453 points per shot

Last year Andrew Carr averaged 13.5 points on 8.9 shots a game.
1.516 points per shot

Andrew Carr is a more efficient scorer than Antonio Reeves was in his last year here, at his best. If we don’t have an even more effective way to distribute our scoring, then Andrew Carr will be given the shots Reeves was given here last year and he will take even better advantage of those shots than Reeves did, and your anxious posts in this thread are based on delusion supported by lack of data (best case).

If you’re not a hater then you can rest easy. Pope’s got this covered.

Last edited:
I love Rob Dillingham's game but I can tell you this--Butler is not going to have to be told to leave ball side corner down 1 pt under a minute left in a game--Rob killed the team with those hero gambles and plays. Now the most annoying aspect is that didn't change from November to March....and why?

Talent is obviously important but if you let talented people get away with breakdowns because you are afraid to coach your best players tough/tell them the truth, then you won't get anything from that talent.
This !
Glad Rob played here and he was fun to watch.
But this was a huge factor that most people fail to recognize. His net output can be replaced.

Last edited:
Well, no shit. 7 of the top 125 players in all of CBB would beat the 2015 team.

7 of the top 125 cbb transfers is still much, much better than 7 of the top 125 freshmen for the reasons explained all over this thread prior.
Lets not forget the 2015 team barely beat Notre Dame. We don't want to admit it, but the SEC was just that atrocious back then.

Reactions: BigKari

Idgaf about Kal or freshmen. Really don’t even care about the player rankings. Although they did seem to indicate what I already thought about the roster. I’m making my assumptions on the roster based seeing all the film I can find and looking at all the analytics and stats I can find on those players.

What he’s bringing in from the portal is similar to what Stoops has brought in from the portal. If the UK football standard is the same standard yall are fine with the basketball program having then that’s on yall.

I’m not gonna bury my head and the sand and act like everything has been great like so many seem to be doing. Like I said before, what Pope has would be great if there was also a Richmond and Davis or Reeves and Dillingham on the roster with them but that’s not the case. It’s missing 2 big scoring threats because it has zero as it stands.
So you don't think the best returning 3 point shooter in the country is a scoring threat yeah right. You like so many of our fans are still addicted to the Cal speak that you got to have STARS to compete,I got news for you,you don't. We had 2 lottery picks last year and didn't do shit,how do you explain that. Also your analytics don't mean crap because they fail to take into account coaching strategies offensively and defensively as well as the players playing on the team with him. Perhaps a player was instructed to take more shots because nobody else on his team was reliable thus bringing his average down,perhaps a guy was forced to guard the best player on the opposing team every night because nobody else on the team could. Put either player in a different system with better shooters and defenders surrounding him and his " numbers" could be completely different. I was a psychologist by trade and one of the first things I learned I'm grad school was the old adage " There are lies,damn lies and statistics" YOU stat guys are full of it if that is the only measurement you use to determine a players value.

- 22.) Brandon Garrison
- 33.) Otega Oweh
- 47.) Lamont Butler
- 69.) Andrew Carr
- 86.) Amari Williams
- 89.) Koby Brea
- 125.) Kerr Kriisa

If you have followed college basketball in recent years you would find that in many cases it is not about rankings of players as much as it is about experience and coaching. If you have been paying attention then...I don't know what to tell you. This seems like one of those way too early prediction post that screams; "I need attention." Ok, you got it, now what?

That is top 150…of transfers. Not inclusive of incoming freshman or other current players. Basically if a transfer player isn’t top 30 then best to manage expectations.
You would probably see some of these transfers ranked higher in overall rankings if they were included with the incoming freshman list based solely on more experience and having already played at the college level so...

Time will tell. My expectations are tempered for next year. I do believe we have more talent than BYU had this past season and am optimistic we will be better than a bubble team. Once the nation sees our offensive and defensive schemes and staff has a full year I am confident we make a BIG jump in talent in year 2
"Tempered" Should be the theme for us all at this point.

They are still viewing it like HS rankings

When half to 2/3rds of CBB goes into the portal… they 50th ranking of proven CBB players is not equal to getting the 50th ranked highschool kid from a single incoming freshmen class that has yet to play a game of college ball.

Perfect example is that ppl would have loved to get Wagner, Bradshaw, and Z back bc they had lofty incoming freshmen rankings…. And look where they are in the portal rankings… still primarily based on their potential bc they are underclassmen nba hopefuls vs the proven 4/5th year that had their ranking in production
Bingo

Reactions: TM2013

I get all that. Nebraska babble is that pope is from omaha NE. Just me being goofy. I tend to overstate or get ignorant just to have some fun venting. I am not burying my head either. There are guys I would like to have gotten. Some gone before Cal left, just a timing thing. But I understand maybe Osobor was not a team player. Maybe he asked for 20 shots a game and play through him, maybe he wanted 1.5mil not idea but Pope was not caving. I like him not caving. Also with Williams almost reopening his portal and Pope flying to meet with him shows how much confidence he has in the pieces he currently has.

I think we get 1-3 more guys and out of those I am hoping 1 is a guy that can get you buckets. The thing is looking at Popes style of play no one is getting 20 shots a game unless they are on a heater. I do believe we are more in the mold of a Princeton offense where the offense movement gets guys open looks even on a 3 second left play.

I would love to sign Achor Achor, Jaxson Robinson, Kadary Richmond and a few of the other big names but only if they are going to play within Popes offense. I do not want a cancer in year one. Would be worse for future recruiting. I am a sarcastic soul in a Polish-Hillbilly body or (PoBilly). It comes out typically when I have not slept.

Reactions: Warf2012

- 22.) Brandon Garrison
- 33.) Otega Oweh
- 47.) Lamont Butler
- 69.) Andrew Carr
- 86.) Amari Williams
- 89.) Koby Brea
- 125.) Kerr Kriisa

We've been bullied by lesser players over the years than what Pope's brought in. Anyone who calls themselves a UK fan and are upset with the roster so far has me questioning just what you have been watching for a few years now.

- 22.) Brandon Garrison
- 33.) Otega Oweh
- 47.) Lamont Butler
- 69.) Andrew Carr
- 86.) Amari Williams
- 89.) Koby Brea
- 125.) Kerr Kriisa

Thanks for the sobering post. It's fun to ride the hype train but folks shouldn't be disappointed when we aren't in the final four next year.... need to temper expectations in year one and allow pope a chance to get his system in place. Year two is a different story. Pressure is on then.

Reactions: Warf2012
That is top 150…of transfers. Not inclusive of incoming freshman or other current players. Basically if a transfer player isn’t top 30 then best to manage expectations.
the transfer portal is really deep so I think a lot of the guys we have coming in who might be our 7/8/9 rotational players would start on a lot of other teams

• Haha
Reactions: Warf2012 and Jkwo

- 22.) Brandon Garrison
- 33.) Otega Oweh
- 47.) Lamont Butler
- 69.) Andrew Carr
- 86.) Amari Williams
- 89.) Koby Brea
- 125.) Kerr Kriisa

If anyone expected Pope to put together a staff and a final four roster 2 weeks ago when Cal bailed and left the cupboard bare then they are an idiot. It was too late to get in on any incoming freshmen and not likely that the ones who committed to Cal would come either. We were lucky that Cal finally recruited Perry because had he already been signed to someone like Noah we wouldn't have gotten him either.

Pope has been going non stop trying to get in on kids for the upcoming season on top of starting to recruit next years HS players on the AAU circuit. I think with a couple of other pieces like Robinson or Lanier and we could have a Sweet 16 or if the stars aligned an Elite 8 team. That would far exceed what I expected 2 weeks ago. On the flip side if these guys aren't as good as we hope or don't gel and they are a bubble team then that still is better than I thought when Cal bolted and our roster was decimated.

Yeah, but a lot of those higher ranked guys are spread out. Just has the feel if we can get that one cow bell type it would be about as good a roster as we could have hoped for. Lot of talent and experience together will over come our physical weaknesses and lack of experience under Cal. And this day and time, physical strength and older players is what is getting it done a lot of times.

Last year Antonio Reeves averaged 20.2 points on 13.9 shots a game.
1.453 points per shot

Last year Andrew Carr averaged 13.5 points on 8.9 shots a game.
1.151 points per shot

Andrew Carr is a more efficient scorer than Antonio Reeves was in his last year here, at his best. If we don’t have an even more effective way to distribute our scoring, then Andrew Carr will be given the shots Reeves was given here last year and he will take even better advantage of those shots than Reeves did, and your anxious posts in this thread are based on delusion supported by lack of data (best case).

If you’re not a hater then you can rest easy. Pope’s got this covered.
Wait a minute, if Reeves averaged 1.453 points per shot, and Carr averaged 1.151 points per shot, how was Carr the more efficient scorer? Based on the numbers you posted, Reeves was 26.24% more efficient per shot.

Reactions: BlueSince92
Where would any of the players of the last two teams that knocked us out of the tourney have been ranked?

College basketball has changed. There’s more parity. Basketball is not like football. There’s much more chance for winning with “less talent”. If you make the shots you win.

Jordan’s kid, when he was like 10 beat him in 1 on 1 with a lucky shot. I’ve played with guys that you know that played in the pros& UofK… Even know they were waaaay better (bigger really ) I could hold my own on offense, have good games, and fit in on the court with them. It’s basketball—and that’s part of why it’s the best sport.

There are simply too many variables that aren't accounted for to use "analytics " as the be all end all for player evaluation or team performance. Good luck finding a measure for heart and effort. Show me a measurement that measures coaching ability such as late game adjustments. The list of things that aren't accounted for is long.

The transfer portal was flooded with experienced talent this year. See the teams taking players well after the top 30 listed. The portal is about finding matches for your needs. These rankings are great for fan discussion only.

Wait a minute, if Reeves averaged 1.453 points per shot, and Carr averaged 1.151 points per shot, how was Carr the more efficient scorer? Based on the numbers you posted, Reeves was 26.24% more efficient per shot.
Sorry, I made a typo. You’re right that what I typed is wrong but 13.5 points from 8.9 shots is actually 1.516 efficiency. Carr really is more efficient than Reeves.

Teach me to post by phone real late after a hard day. I’ll edit my original. Thanks for the catch!

Reactions: CatsFan4Evr.
You're just looking at a number beside their name made by some person. This is a nuanced situation. You fail to point out the experience and accolades many of our guys bring.

Also, remember Oakland? St. Peter's? UK's dazzling team(s) of studs go beat by volunteer firefighters and land surveyors.

You're only here to try and antagonize people. Every post I see from you is pure dismay and negativity - like you're trying to dump that on all of us.

Nailed it.

This dude is either trolling or one of those people who goes through life with a permanent “worst case scenario” outlook.

Reactions: MidseasonTweak
I’ve been a member here far longer than you. This isn’t about preseason rankings so try to keep up.

Dude you’re referring to joined in 2007. You joined in February.

I’ve determined you to be a troll with an agenda - either a leftover Cal dangler or someone who was mad about the Pope hire and wants him to fail.

Welcome to ignore.

Pope took a much less talented team and was a 6 seed, top 24 in the nation. Playing in the best conference with the limitations to recruiting that exist at BYU.

A bubble team is typically a 11 or 12 seed, 44-51 ranked in the nation

Please rationally tell me how a more talented team in a conference that will not be as tough as the Big 12 was last year will be a bubble team, falling 20+ spots?

With NO ADDITIONS we are projected to be top 20 by metrics, not opinions.

Again, there is zero logic to this, but everyone already knew that

• Love
Reactions: BlueSince92
Sorry, I made a typo. You’re right that what I typed is wrong but 13.5 points from 8.9 shots is actually 1.516 efficiency. Carr really is more efficient than Reeves.

Teach me to post by phone real late after a hard day. I’ll edit my original. Thanks for the catch!
And Koby Brea was also more efficient last year than Reeves was, scoring 1.48 points per shot for 11.1 points per game from 7.5 shot attempts. We may have other players worth mentioning in this convo too—these are just the only guys I’ve run the numbers on so far. Pope and company brought in some killers whether or not we’ve got anybody yet who can “go get a bucket.” We’ll be fine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT