ADVERTISEMENT

Lawn thread

Wesley91581

All-American
Sep 5, 2004
How’s everyone’s lawn doing so far this year?

Do you adjust your mower height depending on the season?

Bag the grass clippings or leave them?

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
I let my backyard be whatever it will be. Clover (which historically was favored until Scots herbicide), violets, grass, and an assortment of other weeds. I have pollinator flowers in my gardens, so I don’t want any chemicals in that yard. I have a guy do my front yard to keep my neighbors happy.

Looking for a new mower. Too bad Honda is getting out of the game.

I bought a Honda self propelled 5 years ago, best push mower I’ve ever had. One pull and it starts, no priming.
I might buy a Honda but I'm concerned about getting parts after they stop production.

Mines doing alright. My backyard backs up to a big "shared" field area the neighborhood kids play in. My street is basically a horseshoe shape. Anyway, HOA is responsible for maintenance of the field and that makes it damn near impossible to keep my yard weed free. Landscapers cut it every so often but do no treatment or weed maintenance. So I compromise and keep the half closest to my house weeded and feeded (lol) and just cut the back half because it's gonna be whatever it's gonna be. I noticed this year I have violet and clover coming in in the front yard, never had that issue before. I've already treated it so hopefully the front will be back in A+ condition soon.

Yup my main problem is I live in an old neighborhood and most of my neighbors have clovers and weeds that keep creeping in

Raise up and tie my flap over the blades so it sprays the grass evenly and doesn’t leave rows.

Yard too big to bag. Wish it would all die so I don’t have to deal with it. Have thought about spraying it all with gas. Maybe buy a goat.

Put deck height on 2 inches and leave it there, mow every week whether it needs it or not. Gotta stay on top of it.

Mow the yard on the 2nd to highest setting year round (other than taking it lower for the fall overseed). No issues.

The problem for me right now is about 1/2 of my landscaping bushes/trees/roses/etc were killed off this winter. I’m debating on replacing what I lost vs a complete redo of the entire space.

Mow the yard on the 2nd to highest setting year round (other than taking it lower for the fall overseed). No issues.

The problem for me right now is about 1/2 of my landscaping bushes/trees/roses/etc were killed off this winter. I’m debating on replacing what I lost vs a complete redo of the entire space.
Was the kill off your bushes and trees due to extreme cold temp? I lost a group of vines, but can’t determine why.

Yup my main problem is I live in an old neighborhood and most of my neighbors have clovers and weeds that keep creeping in
Same. Our grass used to be great. Went 2 seasons and didn't feed it then moles got the front. I'm trying to get it back. Still a lot of grass but some weeds have taken over spots and the moles thinned out the front yard. Gonna core areate next nice weekend.

Mines doing alright. My backyard backs up to a big "shared" field area the neighborhood kids play in. My street is basically a horseshoe shape. Anyway, HOA is responsible for maintenance of the field and that makes it damn near impossible to keep my yard weed free. Landscapers cut it every so often but do no treatment or weed maintenance. So I compromise and keep the half closest to my house weeded and feeded (lol) and just cut the back half because it's gonna be whatever it's gonna be. I noticed this year I have violet and clover coming in in the front yard, never had that issue before. I've already treated it so hopefully the front will be back in A+ condition soon.
What did you use to kill the violets?

Got a question for the green thumbs here. I got two small front gardens, one on either side of about 7 concrete steps. So they are sloped. What are my options for mulching here? I keep reading that you have to be careful with mulching on a slope as it can wash off.

Not trying to plant anything crazy. It's mostly just dirt and a bunch of little plants with long grass leaves. Just want to make it look good with some mulch and also have the mulch keep out the weeds.

Don’t pull those out too soon. Wait until later in May, especially with boxwood types, to be sure they’re dead.

Reactions: ukalum01
Some crabgrass for the first time and have found that Image is a GREAT brand. Used the concentrate in my sprayer and it's dying fast. Apparently, anything made by Pennington is a solid product. Their Milorganite will give you as lush a yard as you've ever had. Will apply it after aerating in a few weeks. I rent an aerator from Home Depot for half a day and it's well worth it.

Same. Our grass used to be great. Went 2 seasons and didn't feed it then moles got the front. I'm trying to get it back. Still a lot of grass but some weeds have taken over spots and the moles thinned out the front yard. Gonna core areate next nice weekend.

Aerate it and then throw down some Milorganite into the open holes, water it in and GASP at how the grass takes off in all directions and gets thick.

Reactions: BC_Wader
Got a question for the green thumbs here. I got two small front gardens, one on either side of about 7 concrete steps. So they are sloped. What are my options for mulching here? I keep reading that you have to be careful with mulching on a slope as it can wash off.

Not trying to plant anything crazy. It's mostly just dirt and a bunch of little plants with long grass leaves. Just want to make it look good with some mulch and also have the mulch keep out the weeds.
I have the same situation in a sloping area. We planted several creeping phlox a few days ago. They should spread, yet not grow but a few inches in height. Here’s a link.

Mow the front yard once weekly in the second highest setting from April-October.

Mow the privacy-fenced backyard once a month on the highest setting. My wife has a bunch of flower beds with a lot of pollinator flowers, a small garden and it’s where the dogs run and poop. We keep the back more “natural” and keep the front “nice” because we have one of those neighbors who cares about his lawn so much he waters his yard in droughts and mows three times a week.

Reactions: rudd1
Lawn has been easy so far this season looks good and been able to get sum garden stuff ready... I like to start with flower pots early with some San Marzanos and Cilantro, a hot Jalapeño. Got 15lbs of Pontiacs in the ground, couple rolls of green onions.

Yard looks great, and always a sense of pride doing it yourself. Mower shopping, and was shocked at how the new battery powered units are in the forefront now. Reviews are generally strong, but still skeptical at this stage.

Yard looks great, and always a sense of pride doing it yourself. Mower shopping, and was shocked at how the new battery powered units are in the forefront now. Reviews are generally strong, but still skeptical at this stage.
I'm also mower shopping but just can't fork over the cash for an electric this time. My problem is with the battery. Lithium ion is much better now and runs longer. Depending on the model 45-75 minutes per charge but they lose juice every year so they need to be replaced every 2-5 years. That's $200-$400 per battery. Maybe by the time I buy my next mower the technology will be more enticing.

Reactions: cole854
Anyone double cut to have patterned stripes? Anyone ever add an attachment to a push mower to get better stripes?

I have an electric mower. A mower you plug in and manage the cord and.mower at the same time! Please, stop by sometime…

….and put a bullet in my left temple. 🥹💀

• Haha
Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
I bought a Honda this week while I still can. End of an era.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT