ADVERTISEMENT

Latest CBS Bracketology- Kentucky out!

I think the point is it's not really conceivable or concerning. We go through this same stuff yearly. Around this same time pretty much annually we look like shit, then late December/early January we start looking pretty good again. By late January/early Feburary everyone is raving about how good we are not and can beat anyone. We routinely envision playing the teams that beat us earlier so we can prove it was a fluke. We demend a #1 seed and usually get screwed into a 2 or 3, sometimes even lower. Same shit will happen again this year. Wash, rinse, repeat. You would think some of you all would have this process down by now, but here we are.
Normally, I'd agree with you. This season feels different. Like the 2012-2013 season felt different. You're correct that we mostly have early season struggles, to turn it around later in the year. But it doesn't always happen. And I'd be pleasantly surprised if it did, this year. I'll ask, if you're not concerned about this team, at this point, what will it take?

Normally, I'd agree with you. This season feels different. Like the 2012-2013 season felt different. You're correct that we mostly have early season struggles, to turn it around later in the year. But it doesn't always happen. And I'd be pleasantly surprised if it did, this year. I'll ask, if you're not concerned about this team, at this point, what will it take?
I tend to agree. We may tend to struggle early but with two experienced guards returning, including one of the nation’s top point guards, and all three post players being experienced I thought we might be able to avoid that this year. But it hasn’t worked out that way. I’m not down on them, I’m not giving up on them. I’m hanging with them but I’ll admit I’m not supremely confident in this group. I think tomorrow will tell us a lot.

What would you do differently? Be great at the beginning of the season and suck at the end?

Very, very few teams start off at a high level and stay there all year. Young ones are usually even worse. So if that is your expectation, you are only fooling yourself. Teams have ups and downs. Cal's all have a very similar pattern because that is the best way he knows to hopefully get them at their best at seasons end. They don't hand out championships that matter in November and December. Overall, in ten years, I think Cal has done a tremendous job at that, being there are only a couple of times I can recall us never really having a legit chance in the end. I'll take that ratio gladly.

Losses suck, but it's part of sports and competing. You have to learn to process it and move on quickly. Hopefully a loss the Utah inspires is even more to beat Oh St and Lville.
It wouldnt shock me in the slightest to see us come out and notch a win tomorrow. Lets hope its the case. Id love to see the proverbial switch go off against Ohio State.

Reactions: gojvc
Ohh, sweet Lord. That team had an atrocious back court. The PG was in meltdown mode over his dad, understandably so. The other was a turnover or bad shot waiting to happen and the grad transfer was good, but undersized and new to UK. Our best player tore his ACL or they would have likely still been a rd 32/sw 16 type team. Plus, many teams with worse records have made it since.

This team has a far better backcourt will mutiple guys who can score and handle. Hell, Juzang would have played over any guard on the 12-13 team and he is the fourth guars on our team now. Front court is also deeper and more experienced as well. Now, none of them have Noel type talent defensively, but that is somewhat rare. Not really sure where you see the comparison to be honest.

When they show me they have no fight and aren't capable. So far I have seen stretches of one of the best teams in the country, and then stretches of a young team still learning. They literally look like almost every team Cal has had here at this point.

Reactions: ukfan041
Ohh, sweet Lord. That team had an atrocious back court. The PG was in meltdown mode over his dad, understandably so. The other was a turnover or bad shot waiting to happen and the grad transfer was good, but undersized and new to UK. Our best player tore his ACL or they would have likely still been a rd 32/sw 16 type team. Plus, many teams with worse records have made it since.

This team has a far better backcourt will mutiple guys who can score and handle. Hell, Juzang would have played over any guard on the 12-13 team and he is the fourth guars on our team now. Front court is also deeper and more experienced as well. Now, none of them have Noel type talent defensively, but that is somewhat rare. Not really sure where you see the comparison to be honest.

When they show me they have no fight and aren't capable. So far I have seen stretches of one of the best teams in the country, and then stretches of a young team still learning. They literally look like almost every team Cal has had here at this point.
To this point in the season, this team has faced an easier schedule with worse results. The rest is conjecture. We'll see. I'd love to be wrong. Nothing I'd like better.

It is TIME....

P_SS on bracketology!

jCRiwE.gif

I do not care about any program other than Kentucky. Period. What our record is, is important. We suck. Stop making excuses. It's starting to sound as bad as Cal sounds.
did you take my post as making excuses for this team?

Who were the better teams the 12-13 team played to this point?

And FYI, at this same point in the season, that team was 7-3 with losses to Duke, Baylor and ND. We barely beat MD to start the season and struggled with Morehead at home.

Last edited:
How the **** does a loss to Utah (a team who beat Minnesota who beat apparent #1 seed Ohio St by double digits) drop a team that was ranked #6 to out of the tournament in one game? Overreact much? Plus they have a 3 loss MICH ST team listed as a 6 seed with one of those to Kentucky. What a joke
Just another chance for them to exhibit their bias and/or hate for anything and everything UK related. It's just what they do. I'm getting to where I'm damn near immune to it anymore.

To be this early in the season for CBS to say we will not make the tourney is embarrassing not to UK but to CBS, Ky these days are not very good but alot can sure happen before the end of the season.

Who were the better teams the 12-13 team played to this point?

And FYI, at this same point in the season, that team was 7-3 with losses to Duke, Baylor and ND. We barely beat MD to start the season and struggled with Morehead at home.
Those 3 losses were to better quality teams. It was a harder schedule. That's my point.

If UK is going to be on a top three line, probably needs to win the next two games.
It feels like Kentucky is being punished more than other teams so far. There are plenty of teams listed that have just as many or more losses without a better quality win than we have in MICH St such as Tennessee and Maryland being just a couple of those teams.
Michigan State 8-3 6 seed. Palm this Jerry.

Those 3 losses were to better quality teams. It was a harder schedule. That's my point.
Duke was at the time. The other 2 weren't. Baylor had losses to Colorado and College of Charelston before we even played them and lost by 11. They finished 23-14. ND had already lost to St. Johns and they drummed us by 14. Just because a team plays in a p5 and has losses against higher ranked SOS opponents, thag doesn't necessarily make them better than other teams with a lower SOS. Some of those lower SOS teams just don't get as many chances to play higher ranked teams, particularly in conference.

Now I am not saying we lost to good teams this season. We should have beaten both comfortably, but surpise losses happen to pretty much every team, every season. Our 2 losses were both 1 possession games. It'll be okay.

I am still interested to hear why you think this team is so much like the 12-13 team.

If we don't make the NCAA, I would like our NIT game to be played at Memorial Coliseum. That is always fun and may take the sting off of being omitted from the Big Dance.

But don't give up on making the tournament. We have a lot of games to go. Nobody thought the Fiddlin' Five would amount to anything either and now they are among the Immortals. Beat Ohio State

Duke was at the time. The other 2 weren't. Baylor had losses to Colorado and College of Charelston before we even played them and lost by 11. They finished 23-14. ND had already lost to St. Johns and they drummed us by 14. Just because a team plays in a p5 and has losses against higher ranked SOS opponents, thag doesn't necessarily make them better than other teams with a lower SOS. Some of those lower SOS teams just don't get as many chances to play higher ranked teams, particularly in conference.

Now I am not saying we lost to good teams this season. We should have beaten both comfortably, but surpise losses happen to pretty much every team, every season. Our 2 losses were both 1 possession games. It'll be okay.

I am still interested to hear why you think this team is so much like the 12-13 team.
Punkt G, you just said it yourself. This team has worse losses than that team, even. There's no denying that. Evansville and Utah are worse losses than Duke, Notre Dame and Baylor. Evansville, alone, would be worse. I'm sorry if you can't see it. Not much else to say. The outlook for this team is grim. I wish it wasn't so. But wishing doesn't make it so. There's really nothing else I can tell you, if you don't get it.

Punkt G, you just said it yourself. This team has worse losses than that team, even. There's no denying that. Evansville and Utah are worse losses than Duke, Notre Dame and Baylor. Evansville, alone, would be worse. I'm sorry if you can't see it. Not much else to say. The outlook for this team is grim. I wish it wasn't so. But wishing doesn't make it so. There's really nothing else I can tell you, if you don't get it.
I think you are confused as to what are arguing. You seem lost on the differences in sufficient and neccessary assumptions. Just because this team has a loss to a lower ranked team than what the 12-13 team had at this point, does not necessarily equate to them being a worse team. They also have better wins to this point, which literally uses a sufficient assumption to negate your argument. Not to mention, the Evansville loss we had at least 1 injured player, and iirc, weren't one or 2 sick or playing through injuries during that game as well? I think Hagans was one of them. Who was injured during the early season losses in 12-13?

Also, I did not say they had worse losses, but rather 1 worse loss thus far. Evansville was a bad loss, as was the ND and Baylor losses in 12-13 which we got drilled in both, but Evansville is still a bad loss for this year. Utah really isnt and won't end up being that bad. Realistic shot they can make the tourney.

:joy: Grim? Hyperbole much? What is so grim about it? They are a 3 point underdog currently to a team ranked higher and considered by several to be the best in the nation currently. So evidently Vegas and the experts don't expect it to be that bad. But I guess you have the gift. :joy:

So are you ever going to share your assessments on why you think this team is so much like 12-13? Maybe you can give us a quality analysis with this knowledge you seem to want others to believe you possess....:popcorn:

I think you are confused as to what are arguing. You seem lost on the differences in sufficient and neccessary assumptions. Just because this team has a loss to a lower ranked team than what the 12-13 team had at this point, does not necessarily equate to them being a worse team. They also have better wins to this point, which literally uses a sufficient assumption to negate your argument. Not to mention, the Evansville loss we had at least 1 injured player, and iirc, weren't one or 2 sick or playing through injuries during that game as well? I think Hagans was one of them. Who was injured during the early season losses in 12-13?

Also, I did not say they had worse losses, but rather 1 worse loss thus far. Evansville was a bad loss, as was the ND and Baylor losses in 12-13 which we got drilled in both, but Evansville is still a bad loss for this year. Utah really isnt and won't end up being that bad. Realistic shot they can make the tourney.

:joy: Grim? Hyperbole much? What is so grim about it? They are a 3 point underdog currently to a team ranked higher and considered by several to be the best in the nation currently. So evidently Vegas and the experts don't expect it to be that bad. But I guess you have the gift. :joy:

So are you ever going to share your assessments on why you think this team is so much like 12-13? Maybe you can give us a quality analysis with this knowledge you seem to want others to believe you possess....:popcorn:
I believe you're the one that's confused. You think what you want. I really do not care what you think, or if you agree with me. I think this team will have a hard season, and will struggle to make the tournament. You don't agree. That's fine. I'm not interested in convincing you of shit. I don't have to prove anything. This season will do that, I'm afraid. Let's revisit it, at the end of the year.

I believe you're the one that's confused. You think what you want. I really do not care what you think, or if you agree with me. I think this team will have a hard season, and will struggle to make the tournament. You don't agree. That's fine. I'm not interested in convincing you of shit. I don't have to prove anything. This season will do that, I'm afraid. Let's revisit it, at the end of the year.
So that's a no on that analysis? :joy:

what confuses me is the people that say wait until March now, then come back in April and say that an Elite 8 is exactly what they meant back in December.

I mean, its a sliding scale - you'll hear things like "wait until March means that we are in the hunt" - wtf does in the hunt mean? The 16th seed is in the hunt.

I think if you're going to preach the mantra of wait until March then it should be to some meaningful standard in regards to UK basketball, not some "if we faced Seton Hall again, we'd beat them" high water mark acceptance. Make a commitment to a team full of 5 star players destined for the NBA and define your expectations.

what confuses me is the people that say wait until March now, then come back in April and say that an Elite 8 is exactly what they meant back in December.

I mean, its a sliding scale - you'll hear things like "wait until March means that we are in the hunt" - wtf does in the hunt mean? The 16th seed is in the hunt.

I think if you're going to preach the mantra of wait until March then it should be to some meaningful standard in regards to UK basketball, not some "if we faced Seton Hall again, we'd beat them" high water mark acceptance. Make a commitment to a team full of 5 star players destined for the NBA and define your expectations.

It simply means we generally are better in March than in December...you are overanalyzing that general statement.

Some teams peak early, some teams peak late. Cal's teams tend to peak in March and are better towards the latter half of the season.

I am pretty sure that is what people mean by that statement.

I don't know why I'm explaining this to you. You are a being a very obtuse poster...2nd time I've said that today. You know what all of these general statements mean.

You don't think Cal is good at what he does so your blabbering your agenda around everywhere in midst of your nervous breakdown.

oh, so wait until March means we're better then than in December

wow, that's a nugget of wisdom to hang your hat on

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT