ADVERTISEMENT

Last nights game was surprisingly well officiated.

I was hoping they'd just let us both play for an exciting Saturday score fest, which they did, but it was a tad too "loose" in my opinion. Just goes to show you what we can do when the refs stay out of trying to manipulate the outcome.

Also shows just what a team like KU - who regularly benefits from lopsided refereeing - can't do when they don't get their usual favoritism.

We just played so well the refs couldnt really influence the game, if it were a closer game i'm sure the home cooking would have come into play.

i would like to see the stats for Sermons (sp?) for UK called games, when you are just superior there is not a lot the refs can do, I would think in games we played that he has done a lot of the wins were blowouts and most losses were close

One thing I don’t like and I have seen it in all of our games. Guys doing a hesitation dribble and they are actually pausing with the ball in their hand. It freezes the defender and then they take off to the basket and have a huge advantage. It is a violation and I haven’t seen it called yet. Pathetic. They let some physical stuff go and then disregard the easiest violation calls. NCAA officials are awful and the rules committee is to blame.

I just wish they would not call a foul shooting the 3 when the defender may barely touch the tip of a finger or arm hair. Its ridiculous. They should also call flopping when the shooter falls to the floor like they were hit by a truck on the shot. Get in the paint and you can nearly have an arm taken off....

Bilas moaning about it in the first half was a detraction from watching the game. If you were a Kansas fan. The pace and physical play and uptempo style by letting them actually PLAY the game, instead of stopping every minute or two for free throws. By the end of the game, it takes 3 hours and you've had to sit there and watch 60 free throws collectively.

It was refreshing they actually let them play and the officials were by and large - invisible - the way it should be.

We just played so well the refs couldnt really influence the game, if it were a closer game i'm sure the home cooking would have come into play.

i would like to see the stats for Sermons (sp?) for UK called games, when you are just superior there is not a lot the refs can do, I would think in games we played that he has done a lot of the wins were blowouts and most losses were close
I definitely didn’t expect a well called game with sermons. That’s for sure but I bet you are right. They can’t influence a game as easy when one team is playing lights out.

Reactions: CRUCAT and BBUK
99% of games we win, refs were great. It's just when we lose, they cheat us every time. It's sickening!

99% of games we win, refs were great. It's just when we lose, they cheat us every time. It's sickening!
False because I have witnessed several games over the years where we were screwed by refs and still won. I also have saw a lot of games that was fairly called and we lost. I think there has to be questions when you play a team and the free throw discrepancy is 3-1 or 4-1 no matter who you are. There has been games where UK benefitted from those as well.

Reactions: dl51344
Where's Jon Higgins when you need him?
Found him.

fXEEO.jpg

Reactions: Lumpy 2
I didn't think the officiating was all that great to be honest. I felt like we got a favorable whistle for once and a bunch more fouls should have been called on both teams. A foul is a foul and should be called. Just leave out the joke touch fouls.

We also had some jokes of calls like Oscar fouling a guy jumping into him from behind on a rebound, and Grady getting a finger on a 3 ball only for a foul to be called because he may have touched a finger tip after the block.

It's dangerous to laud poor officiating when it helps one win as one is soon to be on the other side of that equation.

That said, I'll take a generous whistle every time against KU and UNC after some of the war crime level atrocities we've endured.

Reactions: sefleming
Yeah, I suppose if I'm gonna complain about officials I gotta give credit when it's due. When I saw Doug Sirmons was on the crew, I thought we would be in trouble. But I agree that this crew did a great job. We even got a few of those 50/50 calls. There was one where Wheeler had the ball on the edge of the lane and the Kansas defender flopped on contact and it was a no-call, which was right, but most of the time we get a charge call right there. Instead, we ended up getting a dunk from Toppin.

Reactions: dl51344 and BBUK
One more thought: I think we have gotten a better whistle at times because this group of Cats is so likeable. Oscar has got to be one of the most friendly and gentle guys around. I also noticed after Grady got called for fouling the 3pt shooter that Sirmons was laughing and smiling at Grady. These players know these officials and they're just nice guys. I think it helps.

Reactions: dl51344 and BBUK
Bilas wants to watch a free throw shooting contest. The game was called fine. Nothing is worse than the Jamie Luckie... Michael Nance type game where every breath is a foul.

Just look at your Pat Adams poster and cry.

Bilas bitched about it all game long, it was a bit of a throwback game from a physical standpoint. I think basketball should be called this way for the most part
I agree- seemed Bilas mentioned the officiating every 3 minutes for awhile

Only a couple of iffy calls our way. The Grady foul on the 3pt was just silly. And I think Brooks got called for a straight up and down during the KU run that was pretty stupid. Outside of that, pretty nice nicely called game. They let them play. Which is the way it should go. No one and I mean no one wants to watch a FT contest.

Reactions: dl51344
Well, since it is over I can tell some of the untold story.

I've been part of a "group" and we have had a team "on" Rooferee Higgins for some time..... allegedly

We ramped to Blue Com 4 the week of the Kansas game and did not let up...... allegedly

It came to our attention that KU had Higgins "on alert" in case things went south and had a helo fueled up and ready to go...... allegedly

Sometime in the first half we intercepted a communications transmission (we broke their encryption some time ago and have broken down about 50-75% of their coded messages... but I can't say more) signaling Higgins to chopper in for the second half...... allegedly

Another one of our "Best Men" had a tree prepared to be downed over the roadway leading to the helo pad. Down it went...... allegedly

Another one of our "Minute Men" has contacts in a local Volunteer Fire Department and they responded to the downed tree call very quickly (as if they were already at the station and ready to respond) and managed to block the roadway for a sufficient amount of time that the Higgins Chopper Relief Plan, designed by the KU athletic department..... allegedly, was rendered ineffective.

Fools did not have a back up route.

I am told that Higgins was not a happy camper and threatened to sue the local Vol FD........ allegedly

I must go, I have said too much.

(Disclaimer) This is a Semi True Story.... I made up a few things and there's some I forgot

This post will self destruct in less that 36 hours........ allegedly

Last edited:
I cant say that i agree, I think KU got want we normally get a Rupp. Which is NOT a home court whistle. But the whistle one way or the other had no effect on the out come of this game.

It was called fairly evenly, but they should have called more fouls on both teams.
Yeah I commented early to my crowd . . . I'm glad they are letting us play cause we got away with a few bumps and over the backs early. Nothing blatant though just ones that touchy officials in the past would have blown whistled over. Glad they held theirs and let the game have some flow.

This how the officiating has been everywhere this yr. It sure helps us because f how aggressive Oscar is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT