ADVERTISEMENT

Larry Steele

clevenger32

Junior
Mar 22, 2009
One of the often overlooked players toward the end of Coach Rupp’s time was Larry Steele. Overshadowed by Casey, Issel, Pratt, an Mills, he did his job and was key to many wins. He had a great career in the NBA and was a World Champion with the Trailblazers. It seems that he never came back. I just saw where Kyle Macy interviewed him in 2022 for the Kentucky Basketball Oral History project but that interview is restricted. Has anybody heard that? If so could you share highlights. Does he have positive thoughts about his time at UK?

One of the often overlooked players toward the end of Coach Rupp’s time was Larry Steele. Overshadowed by Casey, Issel, Pratt, an Mills, he did his job and was key to many wins. He had a great career in the NBA and was a World Champion with the Trailblazers. It seems that he never came back. I just saw where Kyle Macy interviewed him in 2022 for the Kentucky Basketball Oral History project but that interview is restricted. Has anybody heard that? If so could you share highlights. Does he have positive thoughts about his time at UK?
Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Big blue 35
One of the often overlooked players toward the end of Coach Rupp’s time was Larry Steele. Overshadowed by Casey, Issel, Pratt, a Mills, he did his job and was key to many wins. He had a great career in the NBA and was a World Champion with the Trailblazers. It seems that he never came back. I just saw where Kyle Macy interviewed him in 2022 for the Kentucky Basketball Oral History project but that interview is restricted. Has anybody heard that? If so could you share highlights. Does he have positive thoughts about his time at UK?
He might have some resentment, maybe felt like he didn’t get the recognition at Kentucky that he deserved. I don’t know, just speculation because of the “restricted” label of his interview with Macy. He certainly had a good pro career for someone that doesn’t get recognized much as a Kentucky great.

Left hander from the corner was a real weapon, nice size for a wing at that time. I remember Rupp usually had off handed praise for him in post game shows. Once after a win Rupp talked about Issel and another player then added as an after thought. There was also Steele "scratching around with 20 points" That comment always gave me a chuckle

Left hander from the corner was a real weapon, nice size for a wing at that time. I remember Rupp usually had off handed praise for him in post game shows. Once after a win Rupp talked about Issel and another player then added as an after thought. There was also Steele "scratching around with 20 points" That comment always gave me a chuckle
Was Steele left-handed ?? I do not remember him being so. I recall Thad Jaracz’ high-arching shots from the corner, however.

Reactions: robo222
Was not left handed.
He shot right under 50% from the field at UK and with Portland. Had a picture perfect release.
He was as overshadowed by the Big Three and was hurt some his senior year after the big three left

Was Steele left-handed ?? I do not remember him being so. I recall Thad Jaracz’ high-arching shots from the corner, however.
He was left-handed. My sister dated him at UK. Nicest guy ever. She ended up marrying a football player, Don “Red Dog” Porterfield. Shoulda stuck with Steele.

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
Larry was the starting forward opposite Mike Pratt for much of the 1969-70 season which featured All Americans Issel and Pratt. Steele was hurt early in the year and Tom Parker replaced him in the starting line up. Steele, although injured, was forced to play sporadically in UK's 1970 loss to Jacksonville during the elite 8 NCAA tournament. When I think of this game i have to vent so my apology for digressing but this was the hardest most painful loss for me in the 73 years I have followed UK. The refs called phantom, chicken shit fouls on Issel and Pratt from the beginning of the game and eventually fouled both of them out. Issel fouled out with about ten minutes left. I will go to my grave believing this game was fixed.

Back to Steele. I'm not sure that Larry was completely healthy during his entire time at UK. Also, he played in the shadow of Issel and Pratt during 69-70. The 71 team had Casey, Parker, Hollenbeck and Tom Payne who were all great players and they captured most of the headlines. Steele had a good, not great, career at UK. He was a good solid small forward that never excelled at any one aspect of the game. Quiet honestly, I was plesantly surprised that he made it to the NBA and played for as long as he did.
My memory at 81 years of age is not as it once was but I believe there was an issue between Steele and Joe Hall who at that time was the assistant coach. I don't remember the details, maybe some of the other senior members of this board can fill us in.

When I think of this game i have to vent so my apology for digressing but this was the hardest most painful loss for me
I’m 66 so I broke with Issel and the Cats…. I was impressed so much with Issel and Pratt… then I remember thinking “Wow, Larry Steel is really good to!"

Then Tom Parker started hitting those lefty jumpers from the corner…… and I was a Cat forever.

Reactions: Kyhoward and JDHoss
Larry was the starting forward opposite Mike Pratt for much of the 1969-70 season which featured All Americans Issel and Pratt. Steele was hurt early in the year and Tom Parker replaced him in the starting line up. Steele, although injured, was forced to play sporadically in UK's 1970 loss to Jacksonville during the elite 8 NCAA tournament. When I think of this game i have to vent so my apology for digressing but this was the hardest most painful loss for me in the 73 years I have followed UK. The refs called phantom, chicken shit fouls on Issel and Pratt from the beginning of the game and eventually fouled both of them out. Issel fouled out with about ten minutes left. I will go to my grave believing this game was fixed.

Back to Steele. I'm not sure that Larry was completely healthy during his entire time at UK. Also, he played in the shadow of Issel and Pratt during 69-70. The 71 team had Casey, Parker, Hollenbeck and Tom Payne who were all great players and they captured most of the headlines. Steele had a good, not great, career at UK. He was a good solid small forward that never excelled at any one aspect of the game. Quiet honestly, I was plesantly surprised that he made it to the NBA and played for as long as he did.
My memory at 81 years of age is not as it once was but I believe there was an issue between Steele and Joe Hall who at that time was the assistant coach. I don't remember the details, maybe some of the other senior members of this board can fill us in.
I am 10 years younger than you, memories not as good as it once was, but, with all due respect to Tom Parker, he could not hold a candle to Steele. I had never heard about him and Joe B getting into it. He obviously was the lead recruiter of Larry to UK. I hope that isn’t true.

I also believe that game was fixed.

He might have some resentment, maybe felt like he didn’t get the recognition at Kentucky that he deserved. I don’t know, just speculation because of the “restricted” label of his interview with Macy. He certainly had a good pro career for someone that doesn’t get recognized much as a Kentucky great.
I don't get that. Steele being the only one with the restricted label. He wouldn't have done the interview if he was that upset.

I don't get that. Steele being the only one with the restricted label. He wouldn't have done the interview if he was that upset.
I really don't know if he's upset or not, just speculation because the "restricted" label of his interview. It's kinda odd.

I saw Larry with Kyle on Rupp Rafters. Had great things to say about his time at UK.

You could goggle that episode.

Last edited:
Steele and Parker where very good players for UK. Parker was left handed and can still see him hitting jumpers from the corner.

Agree

Agree Tug
I was 10. Issel fouled out running down the floor when Vaughn Wedeking ran in front of Dan and a charge was called. Cried most of the day.

Reactions: dcw62 and lazycat75

I was sitting very close to floor in that game columbus. Almost was thrown out for striking scoreboard because of those calls you spoke of - i also believe the officiating had an iinterest in the outcome of that game!

Without a doubt in my mind then and 54 years later that game and championship was stolen from Rupp snd UK!

Go Big Blue!

• Love
Reactions: UKrazycat2
Was not left handed.
He shot right under 50% from the field at UK and with Portland. Had a picture perfect release.
He was as overshadowed by the Big Three and was hurt some his senior year after the big three left

Amen. Every shot looked like the last one he hit. Perpetual motion. Played every game wide open with a killer attitude. Yes he shot right-handed, but he used either hand when he went to the rim. He was basically ambrose posterior.
mijmfVX.gif

Thirteen years old when I watched my beloved Wildcats go down against Jacksonville in the spring of 1970. I loved that whole year and that team remains most likely my very favorite one of so many good ones. It's the only time I cried after a Kentucky loss because of all they meant to me. Larry Steele was outstanding in many areas...I can still hear Cawood being so complimentary of him and making the calls that he got another steal or hit one from the corner. I thought it very dirty tactics to do what they did to Issel; never should it have been allowed for someone to arbitrarily step in front of another player as they moved up the court. Issel's fifth foul happened way off the ball. It's the reason I still remember the name "Vaughn Wedeking," a name that should have faded from my memory long ago. The 69-70 team would've won it for sure with Mike Casey, but he'd broken his leg the summer before. That was a formidable moment for me in my love for Kentucky Basketball.

Reactions: Blouman
Agree

Agree Tug
I was 10. Issel fouled out running down the floor when Vaughn Wedeking ran in front of Dan and a charge was called. Cried most of the day.
VW set up at the top of the key and Issel turned and ran over him after making a free throw. Issel had little time to react to a stationery VW who set up for the contact to draw the foul.

Last edited:
Thirteen years old when I watched my beloved Wildcats go down against Jacksonville in the spring of 1970. I loved that whole year and that team remains most likely my very favorite one of so many good ones. It's the only time I cried after a Kentucky loss because of all they meant to me. Larry Steele was outstanding in many areas...I can still hear Cawood being so complimentary of him and making the calls that he got another steal or hit one from the corner. I thought it very dirty tactics to do what they did to Issel; never should it have been allowed for someone to arbitrarily step in front of another player as they moved up the court. Issel's fifth foul happened way off the ball. It's the reason I still remember the name "Vaughn Wedeking," a name that should have faded from my memory long ago. The 69-70 team would've won it for sure with Mike Casey, but he'd broken his leg the summer before. That was a formidable moment for me in my love for Kentucky Basketball.
Mike Casey's sister spends part of the winter here in Ft Myers. I bumped in to her at the local Winn Dixie several months ago. I had a UK tee shirt on and she stopped me and asked if I followed the BB team and then she said her brother played for UK, I asked his name and she said Mike Casey. After I "swallowed my blowgum" I bombarded her with questions about him, particularly the car accident, She said it crushed his ankle and foot and he never made a full recovery. I think she said he was going to a baseball game in which he was playing when the car accident happened. She was a very nice lady who also knew Jimmy Dan Conner. She shared some very positive but humerous stories about Jimmy Dan, also one of my all time favorite players.
Unfortunately Max, I never had the opportunity to see Issel, Pratt and Casey play a game together, even on TV. In 1967-68 I was stationed in Germany with no American TV. In 1968-69 I was in Vietnam and obviously no access to TV although my Dad would send me the minature reel to reel audio tapes which he recorded by placing the microphone next to the radio. I did manage to see the Issel and Pratt team play Pistol Pete's LSU team on TV a couple of times.
I still have nightmares about the Jacksonville game. Issel had his head turned jogging down the court completely away from the playaction and Wedeking practically trips him. I can still see the refs highly animated orgasmic foul call on Issel. The refs exuberance and glee in fouling Issel out was very revealing!

Great post I cried when Jacksonville beat them rupps last shot to win number 5

Mike Casey's sister spends part of the winter here in Ft Myers. I bumped in to her at the local Winn Dixie several months ago. I had a UK tee shirt on and she stopped me and asked if I followed the BB team and then she said her brother played for UK, I asked his name and she said Mike Casey. After I "swallowed my blowgum" I bombarded her with questions about him, particularly the car accident, She said it crushed his ankle and foot and he never made a full recovery. I think she said he was going to a baseball game in which he was playing when the car accident happened. She was a very nice lady who also knew Jimmy Dan Conner. She shared some very positive but humerous stories about Jimmy Dan, also one of my all time favorite players.
Unfortunately Max, I never had the opportunity to see Issel, Pratt and Casey play a game together, even on TV. In 1967-68 I was stationed in Germany with no American TV. In 1968-69 I was in Vietnam and obviously no access to TV although my Dad would send me the minature reel to reel audio tapes which he recorded by placing the microphone next to the radio. I did manage to see the Issel and Pratt team play Pistol Pete's LSU team on TV a couple of times.
I still have nightmares about the Jacksonville game. Issel had his head turned jogging down the court completely away from the playaction and Wedeking practically trips him. I can still see the refs highly animated orgasmic foul call on Issel. The refs exuberance and glee in fouling Issel out was very revealing!
LOL, I bet you were very surprised when she identified herself. That would stop a lot of people in their tracks, and I can imagine standing there for several minutes visiting with her...something I would have done too! Good stories and anecdotes. I was in Germany much later -- Grafenwoehr, even with the Air Force, and then Heidelberg later than that -- but a bit too young for Vietnam. We would get one live game in the early 80's from AFN, but it improved and I did even see the entire Duke-UK game of 1992. Sorry you had to go to Vietnam but thanks for your service to this nation at that perilous time for so many. We had family friends who paid the ultimate price, and both of my brothers were in at that time too. Thanks for sharing your interesting post. Cheers!

Amen. Every shot looked like the last one he hit. Perpetual motion. Played every game wide open with a killer attitude. Yes he shot right-handed, but he used either hand when he went to the rim. He was basically ambrose posterior.
mijmfVX.gif
Larry is exactly the type of player that CMP is looking to bring in for his offense. Perpetual motion on offense and hustle/grit on defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT