ADVERTISEMENT

Langford to UL ...Why?

Once the NCAA puts the hammer down, I have a feeling those crystal balls will change.

Recently, a group of Rivals "recruiting experts" put a 60% likelihood of Romeo Langford going to UL. I get the proximity to his family, but name one more reason a 5* OAD player would subject himself to the Crypt Keeper? I am stumped.
he would be beyond stupid to go sit on the bench next to pitino. Look at VJ King, pitino played walkons over him.... no star in his right mind should even consider playing for has been pitino.

I live in Metro Louisville. The old city part of Metro is a F'ing war zone. People getting shot almost daily and some days multiple shooting/murders. Langford will know what kind of gangster city Metro Louisville is. Being on campus doesn't guarantee safety. There was a FB player who was shot in a gated student housing area. That along with stripper gate and why would you advise your son to go there.

Romeo lives literally 10 minutes away from University of Louisville and has been down there on multiple occasions. If anyone knows how it is he would. He said Louisville is recruiting him the hardest but they're just across the street so why wouldn't they? I feel like if he goes to Louisville it's just to stay as close to home as possible. He turned down leaving for a Prep School on multiple occasions too... I think staying close to home is a big deal for him.

Seriously, how can you watch the 30 for 30 on Cal and chose Pitino over Cal. If he chooses U of L over UK with all that is going on there, something is off. How any parent could send their kid to play for that scumbag is unreal.

Love how easily some of you are affected by recruiting rumors. Have faith in your coach and program.

Reactions: Crankdatmustard
he would be beyond stupid to go sit on the bench next to pitino. Look at VJ King, pitino played walkons over him.... no star in his right mind should even consider playing for has been pitino.
notsure-1.jpg

Reactions: beasleythecard
I live in Metro Louisville. The old city part of Metro is a F'ing war zone. People getting shot almost daily and some days multiple shooting/murders. Langford will know what kind of gangster city Metro Louisville is. Being on campus doesn't guarantee safety. There was a FB player who was shot in a gated student housing area. That along with stripper gate and why would you advise your son to go there.

Because you're a terrible role model and think that kind of life is ok.

Recently, a group of Rivals "recruiting experts" put a 60% likelihood of Romeo Langford going to UL. I get the proximity to his family, but name one more reason a 5* OAD player would subject himself to the Crypt Keeper? I am stumped.
I don't think it is very complicated. My understanding is that Langford, who lives within a short distance of UL, has been a UL fan for a good part of his life. In the greater Louisville area, some basketball people still respect and support Pitino, even if it is because of public damage control. All that doesn't mean he will sign with UL, but it gives UL a good chance. I wouldn't send my son to play basketball for Pitino, but some people do.

This whole "Rivals Experts" thing is overrated. There are some rivals experts that are legit. But in reality when they do this polling they pick writers from certain areas and have them guess, it means nothing. Cats Illustrated has more 'experts' here that know more than most of them. Same panel said Bam was going to NC State, Monk to Arkansas, and Bamba to Texas.

Once the NCAA puts the hammer down, I have a feeling those crystal balls will change.
That may turn out to be true, and I have felt for a long time that the NCAA is about to drop the hammer on UL a lot harder than the general consensus around this board has been predicting.

I don't get it either.Someone hires strippers for recruits and parents are okay sending their kids there?
This tells us all we need to know about Langfords' parents. I mean God help us all if his mom & dad are typical of parents in 2017. No wonder the morals in this country have gone to hell.

Because he is being paid with skanks. They probably give him a different one every day
It's kinda like the ACC built a Berlin Wall to keep its' teams in prison in side the ACC. You know a UofL, or an N.C. State,or a Virginia Tech would leave the ACC in a heartbeat to join the SEC if given the opportunity.

Reactions: NCukcat62
It's kinda like the ACC built a Berlin Wall to keep its' teams in prison in side the ACC. You know a UofL, or an N.C. State,or a Virginia Tech would leave the ACC in a heartbeat to join the SEC if given the opportunity.
Louisville definitely would.

This tells us all we need to know about Langfords' parents. I mean God help us all if his mom & dad are typical of parents in 2017. No wonder the morals in this country have gone to hell.
When you're a fan, morals and principles go out the window. For example, you support an adulterer who grabs women in their private parts without permission then you judge others and question their morals. They justify it the same way you do.

I wouldn't put much stock into those "recruting experts". Romeo's recruitment has been kept very "close to the vest". His dad and head coach have handled 99% of the recruiting. I know the program well. Played at New Albany. Know the staff. I feel comfortable in saying someone like me knows more than these guys do. Hell for that matter, most anyone in my position (former player) probably does.

Is Romeo going to UL? I don't know. I know Duke( I said this on rivals last summer) was very big on his(Romeo) list. I still think they are. I do feel the prep school scenario may have "hurt" Duke some. Indiana's hiring of Archie certainly has changed things for the Hoosiers. How much though----who knows.

Langford's parents are terrific people. Where Romeo decides to play is no indicator of what Romeo's parents are like. Just a very ignorant post. After all, it's HIS decision. He's the one who has to play there. Not mom and dad. Watch the kid play or conduct an interview. That tells you a lot more about his upbringing than where he chooses to play. I've seen this kid play since he was a 7th grader. I've officiated a few of his games. I've never once seen this young man ever "showboat", or try an show up an opponent. Very respectful kid. Very cool on the floor. None of this hitting a three, and pointing to the crowd. Waving his arms. No '3-goggle' gesture. Nothing. He just plays. Same with dunking. He just dunks it....runs down to the other end to defend. No chest thumping. No theatrics. Kid just plays.

Langford's parents are terrific people. Where Romeo decides to play is no indicator of what Romeo's parents are like. Just a very ignorant post. After all, it's HIS decision. He's the one who has to play there. Not mom and dad. Watch the kid play or conduct an interview. That tells you a lot more about his upbringing than where he chooses to play. I've seen this kid play since he was a 7th grader. I've officiated a few of his games. I've never once seen this young man ever "showboat", or try an show up an opponent. Very respectful kid. Very cool on the floor. None of this hitting a three, and pointing to the crowd. Waving his arms. No '3-goggle' gesture. Nothing. He just plays. Same with dunking. He just dunks it....runs down to the other end to defend. No chest thumping. No theatrics. Kid just plays.
Wrong.
If you choose to play for scumbags, then, well, you're a scumbag.

Reactions: crpoore
Wrong.
If you choose to play for scumbags, then, well, you're a scumbag.
Yeah, ok. I know the kid. Know his family. Actually, know them well. Very well spoken, well educated people. Romeo is a top-notch student. And an even better kid; How many HS kids do you know that hang around after a game, signing autographs until every single kid has one? How many? He does this after every game; Road or home. He done this after New Albany was eliminated in Regional Finals this year(Eilte 8). The line to the press area at Seymour HS was loooong. Yet this "scumbag" hung around, after a tough loss, and signed probably 200 plus autographs.

Yeah---he's a scumbag. Get a life dude.

Reactions: Kentucky31
Seriously, how can you watch the 30 for 30 on Cal and chose Pitino over Cal. If he chooses U of L over UK with all that is going on there, something is off. How any parent could send their kid to play for that scumbag is unreal.
No parent sends their kid to play for a said coach. I'm sure they give their input, but at the end of the day, it is the kid who ultimately makes that decision. And he should. When my son was being recruited for baseball, I gave my input. But ultimately, it was his decision. After all, he is the one who has to go there....Not me. I gave him my concerns on some coaches. And TBH, I wasn't pleased with where he decided to go. But I supported his decision. That doesn't make me, or any other parent a "bad" parent. I mean do you feel parents who encourage their kids to join the military are bad parents? You could basically be encouraging your kids to do something that will at some point put their life in danger.

Those of you questioning why a patent would let their kids go to UL..... have you seen some of these players parents? Think Mr. Ball cares about a few hooKers? Hell, it probably steers some kids TO Louisville

Hate to side with an IU fan here over some of our own, but IUfanBorden is exactly right. By all accounts, RL is an outstanding kid from an outstanding family. I went and watched him play this year... the kid is expressionless during the game regardless of what is happening on the floor... no trash talking, no whining to the refs, and perhaps a little too unselfish at times.

I think some are taking a couple of Rivals' predictions (likely just guesses based on proximity) a little too seriously. I doubt very seriously he ends up there. I'd rank the likelihood for each school right now at 1. Duke, 2. Kentucky, 3. IU, 4. UofL.

Hate to side with an IU fan here over some of our own, but IUfanBorden is exactly right. By all accounts, RL is an outstanding kid from an outstanding family. I went and watched him play this year... the kid is expressionless during the game regardless of what is happening on the floor... no trash talking, no whining to the refs, and perhaps a little too unselfish at times.

I think some are taking a couple of Rivals' predictions (likely just guesses based on proximity) a little too seriously. I doubt very seriously he ends up there. I'd rank the likelihood for each school right now at 1. Duke, 2. Kentucky, 3. IU, 4. UofL.
Thanks. He's a great kid who comes from a very good family. My son went to school with Romeo. My cousin is a cheerleader there. So there is some ties there; plus I have known Romeo and his family for quite some time. Quality as quality can get.

As for his court demeanor---You are spot on. I've officiated a few NA games. I've never heard the kid say a word to an official. Not even look at one of us funny. He just plays. No trash talking...no show boating. No whining. Nothing. And I 've seen this kid throw down some monster dunks-------Nothing. Hit some big three's----Nothing. He just plays.

Reactions: beasleythecard
1) Playing for a HOF coach that holds players back for the good of the coach
2) Location, basically home
3) ACC
3) Strippers
4) Shady characaters, killings and drugs

Will give him being home and in a top conference. Other than that....

At Kentucky
1) Playing for HOF coach that does not hold players back for the good of the players
2) Location, only an hour further down the road from UL
3) Practice against pro's everyday
4) Play with pro's
3) SEC up and coming with top coaches emerging
4) Best fans
5) Best history

If he goes to UL wanting to be a OAD his draft stock will drop. It's just a fact. Pitino plays his system and forces his players to fit into it. Freshmen don't usually play a lot because they are learning the system and usually struggle with it the first year (example: VJ King). If Langford is ok with staying at least two years then his stock will rebound as he begins to play better within the system (example: Donovan Mitchell). Rick doesn't care about getting his players ready for the next level, he only cares about himself as evidenced by the horrible track record he has with former players making it in the NBA. If Langford wants to be a OAD then he needs to go to a school that will let him showcase his abilities and play through mistakes as a freshman.

UofL was a strong leader for Marquis Teague too and was presumed to be his future school due to Pitino having coached Teague's father. We've seen this before. Maybe he goes to UofL but I wouldn't bet against Calipari and his strong record of producing NBA players. Duke would seem to be a more serious rival to UK.

I'd still be shocked if he ends up at UofL. Duke, UK, and IU each seem much more likely.
In a recent interview the soft spoken kid admitted playing close to home would be nice so his family can watch. I expect it to boil down to IU and UK.

In a recent interview the soft spoken kid admitted playing close to home would be nice so his family can watch. I expect it to boil down to IU and UK.
I agree. I know Duke was a huge leader earlier, but that seems to be losing some steam. I know recently he has spoken highly of Miller. Loves the offense, and the fact Archie uses a lot of ball screens; similar to what New Albany ran. Playing close to home seems to be more an more of a priority.

Note: Something of interest. But nothing big. His dad made the comment of--"all recruiting goes through me. He's not taking phone calls or texting until he's decided on a list". Miller talked to Romeo on the phone two days later. Maybe it's b/c he's the new coach. Or maybe it's b/c Romeo has IU on his final list. IDK. Probably just wishful thinking, huh?

ADVERTISEMENT