ADVERTISEMENT

Landon Foster: I am gay...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it is not just about sexual attraction. It is about who you live with, marry, and so forth.
I also don't care about who he lives with, marries, and so forth. His "coming out" has zero affect on who he can marry, live with, and so forth.

Um, think about it. Do you have a picture of your wife on your desk? Do you hold your girlfriend's hand when you go for a walk? Do you talk about your family during business dinners?

Who you're attracted to intersects with every day life. If everyone else simply "shut up" about their "personal life" or "who they're attracted to" then I'd be more inclined to agree with your opinion.
What's stopping him from doing those things? Did you tweet that you are straight? Could he not do those things but now he can because he "came out"?

Reactions: fabcat
I guess nothing is stopping him from "doing those things" in a closeted way. But he can only do those things openly if he comes out. Which apparently you have a problem with. You're okay with his lifestyle as long as you don't have to know about it. Wonder where that would leave him if his family, friends, and coworkers had the same attitude.

One thing I don't understand about homosexuals is why do you have to "come out?" It's like you are looking for acceptance or special attention. I think most people in life, from all backgrounds, are just looking for acceptance. No need to put yourself in the spotlight. Just go live your life.

I think the coming out as you call it is a reaction to all the whispers questioning their sexual idenity. You know that happens, so they decide to remove the questions.

I believe everyone has the right to live the lifestyle that makes them happy regardless if I agree with it or not.

Reactions: Levibooty
I guess nothing is stopping him from "doing those things" in a closeted way. But he can only do those things openly if he comes out. Which apparently you have a problem with. You're okay with his lifestyle as long as you don't have to know about it. Wonder where that would leave him if his family, friends, and coworkers had the same attitude.
My question is why do strangers need to know about it? Why does it need to be announced? He told his family about it long before he came out to the public. The point is why should anyone other than his friends and family care about this or need to know for that matter. I have no problem with him announcing his intimate sexual proclivities to the public. It just seems like certain things are personal and should be kept that way.

I think the coming out as you call it is a reaction to all the whispers questioning their sexual idenity. You know that happens, so they decide to remove the questions.

I believe everyone has the right to live the lifestyle that makes them happy regardless if I agree with it or not.
Who cares what others think. Just go live your life.

My question is why do strangers need to know about it? Why does it need to be announced? He told his family about it long before he came out to the public. The point is why should anyone other than his friends and family care about this or need to know for that matter. I have no problem with him announcing his intimate sexual proclivities to the public. It just seems like certain things are personal and should be kept that way.

Several of us have already answered this question. In short:

1) Helping other kids who might be in the same situation so that they know that they're not alone
2) Self-affirmation (I know, you don't want to know, so Landon's advice might be to ignore the news)
3) It's not just a sexual proclivity. It affects most areas of his life (just as your wife or girlfriend impacts many areas of your life beyond just the bedroom)

One thing I don't understand about homosexuals is why do you have to "come out?" It's like you are looking for acceptance or special attention. I think most people in life, from all backgrounds, are just looking for acceptance. No need to put yourself in the spotlight. Just go live your life.

We aren't far from a time where being gay meant you got your ass kicked (or worse) merely for that preference. I know what you mean, I am annoyed by "look at me" type things and I understand the POV of just live your life. But, I can see where gay athletes/celebrities bring enough acceptance to where younger people are affected so that people who are gay are able to say "I'm going to be okay" simply live their lives without fear of being dragged behind a truck.

I'm a Christian as well. From the religious point of view, I wasn't a virgin on my wedding night and I fall short in many areas - so I'm not about to judge as I'm in need of plenty of mercy from God.

Reactions: STUCKNBIG10
Who cares what others think. Just go live your life.
Some of you all are clueless about this whole issue and what it means to be gay in our society.
giphy.gif

Can the rest of the players come out and tell us if they are gay or straight? We need more columns on this stuff. I just need to know.

Can the rest of the players come out and tell us if they are gay or straight? We need more columns on this stuff. I just need to know.
When the day comes that there are no longer large rallies in support of denying gay people the same basic civil rights as straight people, announcements like Landon's will no longer be necessary.
giphy.gif

When the day comes that there are no longer large rallies in support of denying gay people the same basic civil rights as straight people, announcements like Landon's will no longer be necessary.
giphy.gif

Landon was afraid because people have religious beliefs that don’t coincide with his sexual inclinations? We need to reach a day when no one has those beliefs for him to feel okay? or is that the day you feel okay?

I'd like to come out and proclaim to everyone on the board

That I am straight, I like women. Fixing to hit the papers but you heard it here first!

The only argument that even comes close to holding water (and not even that close) is not wanting to shower with a gay teammate. My question is couldn't they put up stalls in the showers like in public restrooms. It seems like a very simple solution that wouldn't even cost much. Then it wouldn't be 10 guys standing around watching each other shower.

Your correct on that, wonder what they would say If I was wanting to shower with women? Oh no you can't do that!

I don't understand being gay and I don't understand the hate for gays but then a lot of times I don't understand women. What's an understanding guy suppose to do, I don't understand!

I don't understand it as well. If your gay just keep it to yourself and go about your business. No need to throw it in the faces of everybody. I don't see too many parades for heterosexuals.

Well, sexual preference is a "key identifying issue" in someone's life. Landon and other athletes who come out typically do so after they have finished playing. They wait because they are uncomfortable revealing this important fact in the context of team sports.

Probably because they don't want others to know they are taking a shower with a man who wants to .......

Landon was afraid because people have religious beliefs that don’t coincide with his sexual inclinations? We need to reach a day when no one has those beliefs for him to feel okay? or is that the day you feel okay?
The day I will feel ok for my fellow Americans is the day that people with those religious beliefs don't try to shove them down people's throats and use them to control who consenting adults choose to marry. The problem is not that they are opposed in their beliefs, that is their right. The problem comes when they discriminate and try to control other people that live that lifestyle because of their beliefs. Don't marry a gay person if you are opposed to gay marriage. Other than that, why is it anybody else's business? I just don't get why people would rally and rant about gay marriage or gay issues. It has zero impact on them personally. That said, I am not a big fan of gay parades and such. I really don't want to watch large groups of heterosexuals parade and make out in public either. People should just mind their own business and quit trying to control other people's lives.

That said, I am not a big fan of gay parades and such. I really don't want to watch large groups of heterosexuals parade and make out in public either.

I almost said this in my post #90 earlier but couldn't figure out a classy way to say it. Those parades turn into outrageous over-the-top spectacles that perpetuate stereotypes and ultimately hurt the gay community. I don't really know what they think these things accomplish.

Reactions: sambowieshin
Religion gives God a bad name! Most people can't even live and let live or follow the golden rule but they think so much of themselves that they are even try to tell people what they should do with their genitals and proclaiming to value freedom at the same time.

I almost said this in my post #90 earlier but couldn't figure out a classy way to say it. Those parades turn into outrageous over-the-top spectacles that perpetuate stereotypes and ultimately hurt the gay community. I don't really know what they think these things accomplish.
I kind of agree with this but heck I don't even like the Rose Bowl parade! But I don't know what it means to be a Georgia Bulldog much less a gay person. That's part of the whole acceptance thing I think.

Religion gives God a bad name! Most people can't even live and let live or follow the golden rule but they think so much of themselves that they are even try to tell people what they should do with their genitals and proclaiming to value freedom at the same time.

There is a freedom that comes with discipline, even discipline as it relates to one’s genitalia.

Yeah and people love to give sermons about things that don't even concern them.

I don’t know what sermons people love to give. Some people want to have the freedom to force their genitals on others. Some would like to force them on children. The acceptable sermon seems to be a moving target in our culture.

I don’t know what sermons people love to give. Some people want to have the freedom to force their genitals on others. Some would like to force them on children. The acceptable sermon seems to be a moving target in our culture.
CC That would not be following the Golden Rule would it? I understand discipline and its connection to morality and even ethics so we may be talking past one another here. I'm just saying if it doesn't affect you and yours most religious dogma, not all, but most is just crowd control. I wonder why and when did humans decide to kill homosexuals and how that led to homosexuals feeling so threatened and insecure today in the "Land of the Free".

CC That would not be following the Golden Rule would it? I understand discipline and its connection to morality and even ethics so we may be talking past one another here. I'm just saying if it doesn't affect you and yours most religious dogma, not all, but most is just crowd control. I wonder why and when did humans decide to kill homosexuals and how that led to homosexuals feeling so threatened and insecure today in the "Land of the Free".

I don’t know about the intentions of dogma. But, I would not call scripture crowd control, but rather a playbook for our designed purpose which provides freedom to live a full life, which certainly is impactful on relationships.

Likewise, I don’t know what drives people to want to hurt others who are different, but I suspect you are conflating topics with that comment. People have done ugly things in the name of football, religion, sexuality, race, driving a car, and just about every thing anyone can get passionate about. But, I don’t condemn the whole because a portion is ugly and broken.

I don’t know about the intentions of dogma. But, I would not call scripture crowd control, but rather a playbook for our designed purpose which provides freedom to live a full life, which certainly is impactful on relationships.

Likewise, I don’t know what drives people to want to hurt others who are different, but I suspect you are conflating topics with that comment. People have done ugly things in the name of football, religion, sexuality, race, driving a car, and just about every thing anyone can get passionate about. But, I don’t condemn the whole because a portion is ugly and broken.
For me when the whole does nothing about the portion that is evil, they too are complicit in evil. My moral decision is to not be part of a cabal that has a long history of talking out both sides of its mouth. For me when I pondered that most Catholics are raised by Catholics and most Buddhists are are raised by Buddhists and most Muslims are raised by Muslims I find religion to be self-serving and quite divisive with very little true love. As a Christian you seem better than most. I'd rather you think in terms of the Golden Rule than an ancient book that has been carried by those who commit genocide, but it's a free country....well not if you are a Muslim so....

For me when the whole does nothing about the portion that is evil, they too are complicit in evil. My moral decision is to not be part of a cabal that has a long history of talking out both sides of its mouth. For me when I pondered that most Catholics are raised by Catholics and most Buddhists are are raised by Buddhists and most Muslims are raised by Muslims I find religion to be self-serving and quite divisive with very little true love. As a Christian you seem better than most. I'd rather you think in terms of the Golden Rule than an ancient book that has been carried by those who commit genocide, but it's a free country....well not if you are a Muslim so....

I first read about the “golden rule” in scripture. “Jesus replied: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Everyone relies upon something to form their beliefs. Neither your nor my beliefs are likely to be original to people. Because I believe Jesus is who he said he was, I defer to him.

I will add that Jesus took the issue a bit farther:

“But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you.

“If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful."

I first read about the “golden rule” in scripture. “Jesus replied: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Everyone relies upon something to form their beliefs. Neither your nor my beliefs are likely to be original to people. Because I believe Jesus is who he said he was, I defer to him.
I bet Jesus wouldn't condone separating families. People like to say (not saying you) they are Christian and rely on scripture then do exactly opposite of what Jesus said like "Welcome the stranger", meanwhile other Christians set and watch silently. Not a fan of that duality. BTW The Golden rule predates scripture. It is traced back to ancient Egypt and China. It is without a doubt a human concept that help with civilization from the dawn of time, Christians just seem intent of falsing possessing it's existence.

BTW nobody who tolerates or approves separation of families is deferring to Jesus.

I bet Jesus wouldn't condone separating families. People like to say (not saying you) they are Christian and rely on scripture then do exactly opposite of what Jesus said like "Welcome the stranger", meanwhile other Christians set and watch silently. Not a fan of that duality. BTW The Golden rule predates scripture. It is traced back to ancient Egypt and China. It is without a doubt a human concept that help with civilization from the dawn of time, Christians just seem intent of falsing possessing it's existence.

BTW nobody who tolerates or approves separation of families is deferring to Jesus.

Rather than bet, just refer to him. I have to laugh just a bit, because it seems from your post that we all have a sermon or two in us.

We will have to disagree about what is and is not a "human concept." Only if you reject the possibility of a Creator could you talk about human concepts intended to help civilizations. I appreciate the Freud perspective and shared it at one time in my life. But, if you accept the existence of a God that created, then you must know that no concept pre-existed. So, I think your judgment about Christians "falsely possessing it's existence" is premised upon your own belief, rather than any proof you could offer.

Finally, I rarely talk faith on this board and don't desire to speak about politics, but I don't know how close you are to Jesus to suggest you know who and who is not "deferring to Jesus." When I did not believe, I used to tell people who believed how Jesus would respond, but I realized I was being a hypocrite. I had not studied Jesus with any depth, but rather simply relied upon my very limited knowledge to tell others what they should think, if they followed him. You may know better than I did, but I suspect the issue is not as simple as you present it to be.

To quote my friend Wildcard: Peace. (@WildCard, don't let it go to your head)

Yes we will have to agree to disagree. I believe separating families is wrong and the man Jesus Christ would not support that. For me that is a test of faith that is being failed by many who like to refer to their "deep faith". For me that is hypocrisy. For me a persons actions no matter their beliefs speak the loudest. It's like the redneck liberal said, "My 3 year old boy believes he should get cookies for breakfast every day, that don't make him right!" You would like to turn this conversation about a "spiritual' being you attribute to what you decide, all that does is relieve you of questioning and searching for answers. If religion provided so many answers why is there so much killing in God's name, why do Christian believe it's OK to separate families? That question is routinely dodged. For me I would like to turn this conversation into how does any religion anywhere support breaking families apart. For me that is not a political question that is a moral question. I find the answer in the golden rule and even by your own words, that was there before religion.

Yes we will have to agree to disagree. I believe separating families is wrong and the man Jesus Christ would not support that. For me that is a test of faith that is being failed by many who like to refer to their "deep faith". For me that is hypocrisy. For me a persons actions no matter their beliefs speak the loudest. It's like the redneck liberal said, "My 3 year old boy believes he should get cookies for breakfast every day, that don't make him right!" You would like to turn this conversation about a "spiritual' being you attribute to what you decide, all that does is relieve you of questioning and searching for answers. If religion provided so many answers why is there so much killing in God's name, why do Christian believe it's OK to separate families? That question is routinely dodged. For me I would like to turn this conversation into how does any religion anywhere support breaking families apart. For me that is not a political question that is a moral question. I find the answer in the golden rule and even by your own words, that was there before religion.

(1) you may very well be right about what Jesus would or would not support. You have decided you are right and have decided to judge from that conclusion. That is our tendency. Each of us.

(2) I am not sure that I am trying to turn this into any kind of conversation. I personally believe that your relationship with the Creating God who pursues you and serves you even in your denial is more important than my feelings about border policies. If that is what you meant, I agree.

(3) You say a question is dodged because you surmise Christians believe a border policy is acceptable. If there is a God, I suggest your reasoning for believing or not believing that is reliant upon a questions about Christians is not properly focused. There are a lot of Christians who feel strongly that your border conclusions are correct. But, their assessment should play no role in how you view or dismiss God. History is filled with the anti-godly acts of people who claim belief or actually believe. I would not premise your arguments upon them. If humans were not sick and broken, the decision to go it alone without God would probably make sense.

By the way, LeviB, I am not offended by your suggestion that my belief in God is somehow a relief from the big stressing questions in life. As I said before, I read Freud and Jung. I realize that it can be self-appealing for non-believers to think the masses who run to religion as a defense mechanism. It’s a prideful position that I once probably, in some way, shared.

Since becoming a believer, I have found that to be a false proposition. While I pursue a life of trust without fear, I know that being a follower is not more easy than being a denier.

#1 If you are saying I believe separating families as a immigration policy is wrong---then you are right.

#2 To me that is word salad void of content pertaining to my post. Religious folk do like to take a conversation out into the mysterious ether to avoid subject matter. Hence actions are what matter.

#3 I think the Christians that refuse to answer that question are putting political gamemanship above morality and the words of Jesus Christ which they all seem to forget when this issue arises. It's worse than lawyers claptrap or the definition of is.

" If religion provided so many answers why is there so much killing in God's name, why do Christian believe it's OK to separate families? That question is routinely dodged. For me I would like to turn this conversation into how does any religion anywhere support breaking families apart. For me that is not a political question that is a moral question. I find the answer in the golden rule and even by your own words, that was there before religion.[/QUOTE]"

Read Luke 14:25 to the end of the chapter if you want to see what Jesus had to say about family unity. You may be surprised!

Actually I think people use their beliefs for the sake of convenience. The question still hangs in the air, do you believe Jesu Christ would have the USA separate families. It's strange how a person can use so many words to avoid that simple question. Tends to make me think they are not stepping up to the plate when their name is called.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT