ADVERTISEMENT

Lamont Butler

I am not going to tell anyone how to feel, but I would tell people who have doubts to think about it this way:

Going into next season, if your goal is to advance as far as possible, would you rather have a guy who has been playing junk ball in the AAU circuit as your starting point guard, or would you rather have the guy who was the starting point guard on a national championship finalist team? I mean, just think about the stages this guy has played on versus the guys we had been getting. He is not going to blink- unlike some of the talented freshmen.

Um, ok. Must be for the bench. Weird we're getting bench players before we get starters. And also weird they flew all the way to Vegas and back in one day to see this guy...
Why would you think he's coming here "for the bench?"

He's not. A player who's had the stellar career as a starter that he has for highly ranked SDSU teams that did far better than UK when it counted ...including reaching a national championship game and two straight Sweet 16s ...ain't interested in moving to the bench for his final year.

He's coming here with the intent to be our starting PG. As even his dad acknowledged. That doesn't mean it'll work it out that way, but that's his plan.

Last edited:
I already did that.

No you said something without proof.

Good thing recruiting isn't over, right? We complain we can't stop nobody, now this. Some people are just hard to understand. I want to wait for roster to fill out before I judge. We do know Pope likes shooters. I think we will be ok.

I said that in a post. We have to get a haul this weekend or next season will be rough. The concern was the urgency they showed a guy who definitely doesn't fit the mold of what we're told he was looking for.

Reactions: track42
Well we should be able to play some damn defense this year at least. Not sure the fit though..we'll see who else we get. Better be some ballers that's all I have to say.

Why would you think he's coming here "for the bench?"

He's not. A player who's had the stellar career as a starter that he has for highly ranked SDSU teams that did far better than UK when it counted ...including reaching a national championship game and two straight Sweet 16s ...ain't interested in moving to the bench for his final year.

He's coming here with the plan to be our starting PG. As even his dad acknowledged. That doesn't mean it'll work it out that way, but I'm confident that's his plan.
Agreed. He will be the starting PG. What is wrong with this board? Thinking an all conference defensive player who was instrumental in getting his team to the Final Four coming here as a depth player and not a starterā€¦ā€¦.. So he is not a three point wizard. We had three of those last year and look where it got us.

Reactions: TM2013
That goshdurn Jordan ain't nothing but an athlete!

HE CAN'T SHOOOOOOOOT!!!

All world and all time defense? Unstoppable mid-range? Great passer? Can't stop him around the basket?

WHO CARES?

Bring on Craig Ehlo!!!
Surely an intelligent individual such as yourself. Understands the importance of shooting in todayā€™s game?

No you said something without proof.

I said that in a post. We have to get a haul this weekend or next season will be rough. The concern was the urgency they showed a guy who definitely doesn't fit the mold of what we're told he was looking for.
lol. Ok Iā€™m done

What does the staff see in this kid? Depth?
As a 30 year Aztec Season tickets holder that has seen almost all of Lamonts games, here is what you are getting.

-A big bodies strong defender. Non stop pressure D for 40 minutes.

-A great team player.

-A good rebounding guard.

-Passes well, drives to the hoop well and finishes down low well.

-A good free throw shooter.

-A player that rises to the occasion in key moments on both ends of the floor.

-A fair outside shooter who is working hard in that area.

-A player that set his L.A. High School career scoring record. Yes, breaking Reggie Millers record.

- A major plus in the community from a solid family background.

-A coachable player
_________

On the downside be ready to be disappointed in some decisions he makes with the ball while dribbling.

Be ready to be frustrated with how inconsistent he is with his jumper. Sometimes his shot looks picture perfect and on occasion you shake your head.

All in all you are getting a very good player and a winner in basketball and life.

As a 30 year Aztec Season tickets holder that has seen almost all of Lamonts games, here is what you are getting.

-A great team player.

-A player that set his L.A. High School career scoring record. Yes, breaking Reggie Millers record.

-A coachable player
_________

On the downside be ready to be disappointed in some decisions he makes with the ball while dribbling.

Be ready to be frustrated with how inconsistent he is with his jumper. Sometimes his shot looks picture perfect and on occasion you shake your head.

All in all you are getting a very good player and a winner in basketball and life.
Happy to hear the positives. Hope we can coach out of those inconsistencies.

-A great team player.

-A coachable player
_________

Thank you for that

-A great team player.

-A coachable player
_________

A lot of positives to look forward too thank you so much for the insight itā€™s very much appreciated!

Reactions: Woodrow_Call_1998
He's not even ranked in the top 100 of transfer players. Apologies if I am not over the moon excited about this guy.

Butler is not on those ratings lists because he entered the portal only about 1-1/2 days before his commitment to UK.

Reactions: BassProCat

-A great team player.

-A coachable player
_________

I hope most of that's true, but he's not a good ft shooter. 59% this year, was 72% over his first 3 years which is only decent for a guard.

I hope most of that's true, but he's not a good ft shooter. 59% this year, was 72% over his first 3 years which is only decent for a guard.
Read on the Aztec's board that it's been speculated that his fame from that last second shot affected him this year. I dunno how it would, but it'd be great if he could get up to at least 75% this season.

Reactions: ganner918
72 percent IMO is good, but definatley not great. He started this around 29 per cent thru his approximate first 10 games. It was in his head.

He shot free throws very well the rest of the season to raise his percentage to 59 percent. Maybe some math major can figure what percent he shot his last 25 games to raise his percentage from 29 to 59.

Reactions: ukfan1622
Surely an intelligent individual such as yourself. Understands the importance of shooting in todayā€™s game?
I value outside shooting but I do realize it isn't the only thing that matters.

I bet some would be at least a little surprised to find that of UCONN's top nine players by minutes or points per game that only three of them shot 35% or better from the outside and one of them was barely there and another was at almost 38%.

I value outside shooting but I do realize it isn't the only thing that matters.

I bet some would be at least a little surprised to find that of UCONN's top nine players by minutes or points per game that only three of them shot 35% or better from the outside and one of them was barely there and another was at almost 38%.
Strange that people hated poor shooting guards under Cal but it will be fine if Pope does it.Interesting.

Here is a good description for you older basketball fans...

Lamont Butlers game reminds me a lot like former Indiana guard Quinn Buckner. Although Butler has a little on the ball offensively than Quinn did.

He's not even ranked in the top 100 of transfer players. Apologies if I am not over the moon excited about this guy.

My goodness, is this ever stupid. The reason heā€™s not on those lists is because he just entered the portal only like a day before he committed to UK. It was one of the quickest turnarounds from entry to commitment ever. Thus there simply was not enough time for them to re-do the lists for his inclusion.

You are dumber than dirty dishwater if you actually believe heā€™s not one of the 100 best portal guys.

A 25 year old floor general with final four experience who can get the ball to shooters, what's not to like?
If heā€™s surrounded by 3-4 consistent shooters then Iā€™d have no complaints. I really like Butler as a player. I love lockdown defenders at PG & I love the idea of having two conference DPOY on the roster. But, I donā€™t know if heā€™s the best fit for this particular team if the roster plays out like some think it will.

AW will start at C & he is a non-shooter. If we land Osobor, as some expect, heā€™d most certainly start & heā€™s not a shooter, either. So, if it works out that way weā€™d be starting 3/5 guys who are poor shooters & no threat, whatsoever, outside of 10-12 feet. I just canā€™t see any team winning anything of significance with that formula in todayā€™s game.

If we can get a cpl true knockdown shooters to play with him, that would change my opinion, drastically. I know weā€™re in on a few but they are coming off the board fast. But, forget rock fights, weā€™ll be in boulder fights if Butler, Osobor & AW are playing 25-30 mpg together.

If our coaching staff wants this guy, I'm gonna trust them over a bunch of armchair coaches who immediately spout off negatively about someone they know literally ZERO about. All because he was not who they "expected/wanted". Just lol at the first page of reactions.

I wouldn't call him "terrible" as a starter given his successful pedigree at SDSU, but he's certainly not a gamechanger.

I think you're the guy who posted the PER rankings, right? His PER last year was 14.3, highest of his career. That would've placed him between Ugo (15.9) and DJ Wagner (12.7) on last year's team, or 10th best on the team. However he was 4th in PER on SDSU and they went to the S16 (and only 0.3 below 2nd on the team). Hopefully a bench piece at UK. Averaged 27 mpg last year, I think that will drop a little next year (22-25 mpg seems reasonable).
Yeah, I thought about editing it to remove "terrible," but I would say DJ Wagner as a starter, compared to what was on the team, was terrible. So, the average PER of players in the portal is around 17.3, which I place as an average player. I'm not sure how to use PER as a factor when rating guards, because it seems to favor C/PF/SF, but 14.3 is well below average....as was DJ Wagner.

Like I said, if he ends up being a bench player, this is a good get. Starter? Eh.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
Something to consider is that we may have a wild card in collin chandler. He's six foot five and he played point guard all of his high school career. He may be a little shaky at first. Getting his feet back under him after two years away from basketball, However, some had him pencilled in making the big 12 all freshmen team as a byu player. And he'll be a freshman and twenty years old plus expected to be a multi year Collegian.

Strange that people hated poor shooting guards under Cal but it will be fine if Pope does it.Interesting.
I haven't changed perspectives and 35% isn't poor, it is average.

You are extrapolating an extreme opinion that I do not and have never held. Outside shooting is important but far from the only aspect of he game that matters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT