ADVERTISEMENT

Lamont Butler

Clamps Butler, think of an Ashton Hagans type player, except he has final four experience and he’s not a big ego guy.

Also a 5th year senior.
You are correct. But you are trying to convince guys that got excited about Devin Askew. They would would rather have guys that are coming out of high school with a reputation than a guy who has proven at the college level that he can play and get the job done. Three point percentage and stars is all they care about. Let Coach Pope decide who starts and who comes off the bench.

Butler was the starting PG on a team that went to the National Championship game in 2023, Hagans didn’t do that. He’s already proven that a team can win big with him as the starting point guard.
This is an EXCELLENT point, IMHO ! And Butler was the starting PG on the same team that went back to the Sweet Sixteen this year - where they ran into UConn. :cool:

And when we're comparing not-so-great former U.K. PGs, let's not forget the infamous Ryan Harrow ! ! !

Reactions: otis-gip
We need a defender, someone like this who can come off the bench create headaches for opposing teams.
I don't know why so many here seem to have it locked in their head that he needs to come off the bench.

This dude has been starting for years for highly ranked SDSU teams that have done far better than our recent UK teams ...including ones that have reached a National Championship game and two straight Sweet 16s. I seriously doubt a player with that sort of impressive seasoned experience as a starter is coming here with the plan to move to the bench.

I think this probably WILL be our starting PG next year. Deal with it, folks. And, as long as we put some good shooters on the floor beside him, I'm perfectly cool with that.

As I said, I saw him in person. He's a great defender with great toughness but offensively there is nothing that stands out. At all. It's a weird fit for us. If he's depth, that's fine but the attention he got doesn't suggest depth. We'll see.

Yea you’re forgetting the part where you claimed it was sad he was pursued by high major programs. It’s just an awful take

Yea you’re forgetting the part where you claimed it was sad he was pursued by high major programs. It’s just an awful take

I didn't say he was. I didn't see him tied to anyone even close to UKs level. If you want to show me where he was, I'll gladly admit I was wrong on that point.

Surely this is a Saunders like player off the bench?
He's a starter until we get enough players to fill a team. Right now we have maybe 3 players and we calling him a bench player. He maybe on a team of 5 star players but right now we don't have that.

Rondo couldn’t shoot. You can still impact a game tremendously, unless y’all enjoy the high ball screen lay up line we’ve had for years. This guy is much better than DJ and we lived.

That's great but 4 or 5 out offense doesn't exactly work when you have bricklayers on the floor. Now we have two presumable starters who are indeed that
Good thing recruiting isn't over, right? We complain we can't stop nobody, now this. Some people are just hard to understand. I want to wait for roster to fill out before I judge. We do know Pope likes shooters. I think we will be ok.

I would surmise no one on this board has played basketball at the highest level, coached Division 1, or is being paid 7 figures due to their proficiency in talent evaluation. Time will tell how successful CMP will be

He's not even ranked in the top 100 of transfer players. Apologies if I am not over the moon excited about this guy.

all you do is cry and start trouble on here. Go to the Arkansas board

8ppg 34 percent from three, 73 percent from the line. 42 percent from the field. How is this guy on defense? Is he at least a lockdown perimeter defender?
If you don't know who Lamont Butler is you have to not watch NCAA basketball bro.
You talk like 34% is awful . Darius Miller shot 34% from three . 73 isn't awful from the stripe either.
Butler is a lock down defensive juggernaut. Experienced and good ball handler

Reactions: catben
Butler is a good PG, and Kentucky could do way worse. Now it’s important they get 2 scorers at 2 and 3 spot around him but butler isn’t some bum, he won DPOY and isn’t dogshit offensively either
Our fans are the worst. Spoiled fn brats. Ask for defensive upperclassmen for years and put down the best one available. Smh. Don't want him because he shot 34% from derp. If he shot 45% from 3 he would be in the NBA. Some of you want only the players that don't exist.
I would rather have this dude for one season than what rob dillingham gave all day long. Those guys gave up 25 every game. This dude won't .

Definitely added for depth and defense. Not a great shooter at all even with free throws and not super big guard at just 6'2". He does ad experience and possible leadership but not a top notch get imo.

All year this past season we did not have one guard who could play on the ball defense. Butler as I understand it was defensive POY in his conference so I assume he can do that.
Now, we need to get better players to go along with him, I get it.
But hoping that this is a small piece of the puzzle.

Anyone dismissing this commitment or harping on 3P% should just go watch some tape and shut up. Proven leader, clutch player, great defender, and average offensive production. Don’t let his average offensive game detract from the other intangibles he brings.

Solid pick up. Someone that can fill a 6th man role or play the lockdown perimeter defender spot. He would have been invaluable on last years team considering we couldn’t guard anyone to save our life.

Anyone watching the NBA playoffs is seeing the immense value wing/perimeter defenders carry in modern basketball.

He’s started over 100 games and played in 11 NCAAT games.

Excited to add him to the team. A program that’s been focused on talent now focusing on winning, adding a winning player. I like it.

LOL. A few dopes? I just don't agree that he should be a starter. I want as many shooters on the floor as possible. He's a GREAT bench player.
You had that this season. The best shooting team in UK history. Takes more than shooting 45% to win.
If he had shot 40% would you like the kid? I'm gonna assume so.
Assuming he will shoot 75 threes this year, 4 to 7 more made threes on the year changes your mind on a player? He will save this team alot of perimeter driving I can guarantee that much

Damn, cmon guys.
Butler is an absolute winner. Valuable experience and is a flat out great defender.
He wants to win, doesn't give a shit if it's starting or coming off the bench.
A great addition and I can't wait until some have to eat crow over some ridiculous statements.
Welcome to BBN Lamont Butler.

People are crazy. It’s just different so despite saying they don’t want a team of one and dones, they’re upset at getting actual vets.

Yeah who would want a guy that started for a team that made it to the national championship, was the leading scorer in the elite 8 and hit a buzzer beater in the Final Four.

Last edited:
You need to leave. I hope the mods ban you
He must be real fun at parties with his constant negative attitude (posts). I can't remember one positive post that he has made. I don't have anyone on ignore but he is slowly earning the trophy to be the first. I guess he doesn't believe that positive thinking breeds positive results, negative thoughts breed negativity.

Reactions: Woodrow_Call_1998
All year this past season we did not have one guard who could play on the ball defense. Butler as I understand it was defensive POY in his conference so I assume he can do that.
Now, we need to get better players to go along with him, I get it.
But hoping that this is a small piece of the puzzle.
Seems okay to me and hell I can remember when people were complaining about Cal picking up some guard out of the portal a few years ago who helped save our season this year.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT