ADVERTISEMENT

Lamont Butler

So you think our new coach wants to win in the 60s? Are you ok? First you acted like you had a connection to insider info, and now you’ve completely lost your mind. Maybe go outside and take a breath, have a beer or something before you turn into Jack Nickelson in The Shining.
I remember that dude saying ''this isn't over...''. After reports hit that Hurley turned us down.

Pros:
-He is a body on the team
-He was the 2nd leading scorer in the NCAA championship game against UCONN (2023)
-Led SDSU in assists 2023, 2nd in 2024
-Has been in 11 NCAA Tournament games, with 7 wins
-He's not a freshman
-If he's coming off the bench, this is not a bad pick up

Cons:
-Not an ideal second piece for a hopeful fanbase
-Terrible piece if he's going to be a starter

Accolades:
NCAA All-Tourney (2023)
NCAA All-Region (2023)
2022-23 All-MWC
3x MCW All-Defense
2023-24 MWC DPOY
I wouldn't call him "terrible" as a starter given his successful pedigree at SDSU, but he's certainly not a gamechanger.

I think you're the guy who posted the PER rankings, right? His PER last year was 14.3, highest of his career. That would've placed him between Ugo (15.9) and DJ Wagner (12.7) on last year's team, or 10th best on the team. However he was 4th in PER on SDSU and they went to the S16 (and only 0.3 below 2nd on the team). Hopefully a bench piece at UK. Averaged 27 mpg last year, I think that will drop a little next year (22-25 mpg seems reasonable).

Last edited:
Reactions: JFCats22
Respectfully if I’ve learned nothing else in my time here, it’s that this Matt Jones guy is an absolute clown. I hope you all make note that he said there isn’t a better perimeter defender in America. That is a bold statement, and that’s where unrealistic expectations are born. It’s not fair to the coach or the kid, it’s just a weird take that isn’t even necessary. Kid is a solid player, but the hyperbole is unnecessary, some in our media do it too and it burns me up just as much.
Well, you might want to spend some time listening to some other folks then, because literally everyone on Twitter is saying he is not only an elite defender, but others have said he is one of the best they have ever seen defending on the perimeter. Including SDSU fans.

Reactions: dl51344
Neither could Wayne Turner. Did he do okay?

We complained all last season because our guards could not stop dribble penetration. Now we have a guy who can stop dribble penetration. If he's a role player and not a main scoring option, this is a great addition.
It's people saying he's a starter that some disagree with.

I remember that dude saying ''this isn't over...''. After reports hit that Hurley turned us down.

Popes said his goal was to have UK shoot (and make) the most 3 pointers in the country, his offense shoots more 3s than 2s, and he’s huge on aggressive tempo. Now people are freaking out because one of the guards were getting is an elite defender. 😂 this board is amazing

I'm happy with him as a bench piece,just want a better shooter as a starter.I saw enough starting guards who can't shoot for shit under Cal.
That’s fine, butler will be good in any role, we atleast know he is gonna lock in defensively and play hard. I imagine pope is gonna add another PG

• Love
Reactions: Fox2monk
Popes said his goal was to have UK shoot (and make) the most 3 pointers in the country, his offense shoots more 3s than 2s, and he’s huge on aggressive tempo. Now people are freaking out because one of the guards were getting is an elite defender. 😂 this board is amazing
Hey man, I love the pickup, just don't think he should start. Just my opinion which means nothing.

Agree, let’s see who the guards and wings are first. They already have 2 good shooters in Perry and chandler, and are linked with the whole damn portal

I hope that’s the case but Perry is unproven at this level and Chandler (unproven as well) hasn’t likely touched a ball in two years.

Not panicking, but can’t depend on these two for shooting. Anything they add as freshman will be a bonus imo.

Last edited:
I hope that’s the case but Perry is unproven at this level and Chandler (unproven as well) hasn’t likely touched a ball a two years.

Not panicking, but can’t depend on these two for shooting. Anything they add as freshman will be a bonus imo.
I’m with you on Perry, I think he will need some time, chandler is gonna be a lot better than people expect

so he chose him over the other top rated PGs still available got ya
We're in on Robinson, who by all accounts I've seen/heard, will get NBA feedback and then transfer to UK. We also have Deivon Smith who is allegedly hung up with admissions. Mahaney is a combo guard coming to town this weekend. The portal hasn't even closed yet. I'm not saying you have to pump sunshine, but to say we've whiffed on everything and are settling is disingenuous. We don't know a fraction of what's going on.

Hey man, I love the pickup, just don't think he should start. Just my opinion which means nothing.

Who said he was going to start? Were people clamoring for Reed to start last April? How about we look and see the entire roster and then trust we will have a coach actually play the best 5 most often for the first time in years.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Respectfully if I’ve learned nothing else in my time here, it’s that this Matt Jones guy is an absolute clown. I hope you all make note that he said there isn’t a better perimeter defender in America. That is a bold statement, and that’s where unrealistic expectations are born. It’s not fair to the coach or the kid, it’s just a weird take that isn’t even necessary. Kid is a solid player, but the hyperbole is unnecessary, some in our media do it too and it burns me up just as much.
Ok Karen. Thanks. It's so nice to have a concern troll to advise us. Now GTHO.

The lack of knowledge on this board is hilarious- even if we didn't have only 3 players at the moment, this is a very good pick up and yes, he absolutely is good enough to be a starter - he averaged near 10 points per game for a team that only averaged 74 collectively, he has final four experience and he is a lock down defender. Something we haven't had a lot of for the last several seasons. He is also a true point. WELCOME ABOARD SIR

Seems like it might be a reach, BUT I’m a big believer in letting a coach live or die his way. If he likes the kid, so be it, he’s the one that will be accountable for it. You have to defer to the man in charge.
Mark Pope knows ten times more basketball than anyone on this board . Cal didn’t he was just a recruiter and told them go play . I am not about to second guess Pope’s picks . He knows what he is trying to do . We don’t .

Who said he was going to start? Were people clamoring for Reed to start last April? How about we look and see the entire roster and then trust we will have a coach actually play the best 5 most often for the first time in years.
@Dontworryboutit23 said he would be the starter so I was voicing my opinion on that unconfirmed reality.

We're in on Robinson, who by all accounts I've seen/heard, will get NBA feedback and then transfer to UK. We also have Deivon Smith who is allegedly hung up with admissions. Mahaney is a combo guard coming to town this weekend. The portal hasn't even closed yet. I'm not saying you have to pump sunshine, but to say we've whiffed on everything and are settling is disingenuous. We don't know a fraction of what's going on.
Poplar is option, the wells kid is a option, the good players who haven’t entered the portal are a option

• Haha
Reactions: CUJO_1970
Well it just shows how the staff feels about some of the other gaurds that are available in terms of likelihood to come to Lexington. They feeo pressured to get some guys commited and to take whats available.
Not attacking you, but a lot of you all are upset players aren’t coming here, then a DPOY and a final four PG, who is a good floor general comes here and it’s not good enough

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT