ADVERTISEMENT

La Familia NIL Donations This Week…

Feb 13, 2024
The goal of the NIL is $1M. So far they’re at $49k. $10,000 of that came from a single person. There’s only been $650 donated the past week since the Oakland loss. What caught my eye was all the $1 donations with messages to fire Cal. 😂

I can’t imagine this does very well unless some of Cal’s super friends fund the vast majority of the $1M.

FF88906D-AFD4-4205-9D57-756F3D3C6613.jpeg

I'm sure some of this is due to Cal since Oakland. I don't blame anyone for not giving a cent at the moment.

But more concerning, we heard that NIL money wasn't even really available going INTO this season for Reeves correct? And that therr are questions surrounding a lack of funds. So are we running into a scenario where we just don't have the type of NIL offerings that we think?

Because if we can't be one of the top NIL landing spots, then we have BIG problems. I really hope this is just because of Cal and isn't a bigger issue underneath.

I'm sure some of this is due to Cal since Oakland. I don't blame anyone for not giving a cent at the moment.

But more concerning, we heard that NIL money wasn't even really available going INTO this season for Reeves correct? And that therr are questions surrounding a lack of funds. So are we running into a scenario where we just don't have the type of NIL offerings that we think?

Because if we can't be one of the top NIL landing spots, then we have BIG problems. I really hope this is just because of Cal and isn't a bigger issue underneath.

Don't think UK is the NIL powerhouse some want to say we are. That will cause big problems indefinitely if so.

Don't think UK is the NIL powerhouse some want to say we are. That will cause big problems indefinitely if so.

Well, that's kind of what I'm getting at. My feelings exactly. We have a big fanbase, but maybe not a whole lot of available money to tap into per fan and per business. The state of Kentucky ain't exactly rolling in it.

If we can't be at least somewhat formidable in NIL, then we will go the route of Indiana.

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon

UK fans have never supported NIL, this isn’t a new thing.

UK fans have never supported NIL, this isn’t a new thing.

Well, be prepared for the fallout of that.

It will be kind of funny to see the bewilderment by some here, when kentucky can't stay relevant going forward on our history alone

Maybe if we can keep paying top dollar for a coach, that will be enough to put together experienced 3 and 4 star teams. But not having NIL will hurt big time.

Well, be prepared for the fallout of that.

It will be kind of funny to see the bewilderment by some here, when kentucky can't stay relevant going forward on our history alone

Maybe if we can keep paying top dollar for a coach, that will be enough to put together experienced 3 and 4 star teams. But not having NIL will hurt big time.

NIL at all universities isn’t going to continue at the pace it is. Rich men aren’t rich because they throw millions of dollars away every year on some college basketball player.

Kentucky is in a good position because we’re a basketball school and it doesn’t require the NIL funds to compete that the football program does in this conference.

Alabama basketball isn’t shelling out millions and millions per year for basketball players and look where they are.

People aren’t going to support a bad product. That’s what we’re dealing with now. It cannot be said enough that THIS program right now is in worse shape than I’ve ever seen it and I’ve been a fan since the early 90’s when I was old enough to know what was going on. We have dropped the ball in several key situations and what has to happen is a cleared house then things will get better. Until then it won’t.

Idk if we’re in the highest tier or not. But, we can’t be doing TOO badly. The football team is coming off back to back top 25 recruiting classes, while also doing very well in the transfer portal. They’ve landed several high profile transfers that weren’t cheap & could’ve gone anywhere. I think the portal class was ranked 8th this year, but, I might be remembering that wrong.

And, the basketball team has done even better in terms of recruiting. They also have several players who would expect top pay & could play wherever they wanted. So, personally, I don’t think there’s a $ issue. I think it’s a personnel issue. IMO, the story about Reeves missing out on a $100K deal & how it played out, spoke volumes about the daily operations.

But, I think the recent decline in donations is 100% on Calipari coming back. And, MB bringing him back. The majority of the fanbase was done with him last year, or, way before that in some cases. And, he probably lost at least half of his remaining supporters after he shit the bed again this season.

Most ppl are just done. I know I won’t spend another penny on anything UK basketball related until he’s gone. Sucks for the players & all that, but, it’s the only way to get the point across to the tone deaf AD who metaphorically flipped off the ppl who fund the collectives. Just like he did in 2012 when he shat on the “microwave football fans” who dared to want better than 2-10. He FAFO then & hopefully history is repeating itself, now.

Last edited:
1 million is chump change for all of the NBA players that Cal has put into the league. Cal can just call them to donate to UK since most of them spent 8 months in Lexington and love the school.
Yep, let them cover the bill...
I mean, would they have made it to the NBA without Calipari????? Of course not.:rolleyes: They would be shoveling dog **** if it wasn't for Cal! Right? They should honor Cal by paying millions of their NBA dollars!

Ok so the La Familia NIL thing is the “fan NIL” side. The overall NIL for basketball til now has largely been funded by Cal’s former players and friends of his. From what I understand, all the big money boosters have gravitated towards football since Cal started alienating everyone. Now a lot of them refuse to give to the basketball side solely because of Cal.

I think we will be okay with NIL overall. Cal’s side can fund this next and hopefully last year of Cal and then when he’s gone the normal boosters will probably return to donating to basketball.

Maybe NIL donations are down simply because of Kal. I know that if I were a major donor that I might just withhold it until Kal is gone.
You haven’t given a dollar to a collective in your life, which is perfectly fine, but stop blaming others for our NIL.

I think you need to compare football to basketball. Football is making progress because there are people who are satisfied with the progress or at a minimum the continuity of the program.

basketball? Why donate to a fund to get good players when all the program does is focus on making them more money?

It’s clear the major money donors do not want Cal around and don’t trust him to lead this program. Why can everyone with an ounce of sense in this state see that except for Barnhart? That’s the most infuriating part to me. Read the room. We are exhausted with the current state of affairs and Barnhart gives a middle finger to the large majority of the greatest fan base in college sports by keeping Cal another year. Our fans would be okay with one down season (we’ve had disappointment after disappointment anyway recently) to see that poor excuse for a coach to leave.

Well, that's kind of what I'm getting at. My feelings exactly. We have a big fanbase, but maybe not a whole lot of available money to tap into per fan and per business. The state of Kentucky ain't exactly rolling in it.

If we can't be at least somewhat formidable in NIL, then we will go the route of Indiana.
College sports needs a serious rebuild.

Maybe NIL donations are down simply because of Kal. I know that if I were a major donor that I might just withhold it until Kal is gone.
When big or small donors are excited about the future of a team and how it is coached people will support it financial ly. Contrary exists when there is not excitement and confidence as now exist.

Kentucky NIL will be fine after Cal. He wants total control so it lags behind football, but the new coach and AD will have the boosters back in the program once cal’s tenure mercifully ends.

I think you need to compare football to basketball. Football is making progress because there are people who are satisfied with the progress or at a minimum the continuity of the program.

basketball? Why donate to a fund to get good players when all the program does is focus on making them more money?
And that's the crux of the matter, to me. When Cal's gone and the program is placed first again, I'll be more susceptible to donating to the NIL

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
It’s clear the major money donors do not want Cal around and don’t trust him to lead this program. Why can everyone with an ounce of sense in this state see that except for Barnhart? That’s the most infuriating part to me. Read the room. We are exhausted with the current state of affairs and Barnhart gives a middle finger to the large majority of the greatest fan base in college sports by keeping Cal another year. Our fans would be okay with one down season (we’ve had disappointment after disappointment anyway recently) to see that poor excuse for a coach to leave.
Looks to me like Barnhart wanted to extend Cal one more year only to save $6 mil on his buyout.🤦‍♀️

Ok so the La Familia NIL thing is the “fan NIL” side. The overall NIL for basketball til now has largely been funded by Cal’s former players and friends of his. From what I understand, all the big money boosters have gravitated towards football since Cal started alienating everyone. Now a lot of them refuse to give to the basketball side solely because of Cal.

I think we will be okay with NIL overall. Cal’s side can fund this next and hopefully last year of Cal and then when he’s gone the normal boosters will probably return to donating to basketball.
Cal got $15 million from former players and friends to fund bball nil. Had to step out early and get it himself.

Also the Reeves nil card deal was misinformation. Antonio was already contracted with another card company when the second offer came in and unable to accept. I think the KSR card guy was just frustrated he lost out.

1 million is chump change for all of the NBA players that Cal has put into the league. Cal can just call them to donate to UK since most of them spent 8 months in Lexington and love the school.
They can continue to fund this BS. Let the NBA family keep funding these stupid results. If they want Edwards and the like to come and underperform and then transfer that’s fine with me. The fans won’t have anything to do with it though.

I’m sure it is, we don’t have the donor base that a lot of these colleges do. I think we have enough to compete for basketball but things have to change in order for that to be reality. I mean we have a huge NBA base. They should step up.

When big or small donors are excited about the future of a team and how it is coached people will support it financial ly. Contrary exists when there is not excitement and confidence as now exist.
I will definitely donate a couple hundred bucks a year when I feel that the program has put winning first again. When teams get built to be competitive and those we bring in stay when the going gets tough and not leave for the first opportunity at another paycheck for $100 more at another school.

I just contributed $1. I would have only given $0.01, but they wouldn’t let me. The encouragement message I sent them at the end said I’d consider a real donation once Cal and Brainfart were gone. Good to see lots of others doing something similar. Our voices need to be heard and that tone deaf interview crap just shows how insulated these guys are from the real feelings of the fanbase.

Last edited:
Imagine launching a new NIL initiative, rolling out a commercial between the end of the regular season and the start of the SEC tournament.

Imagine the commercial features your homegrown hero freshman, and everyone’s favorite coach on a hot seat.

Now suppose you lose game one of the SEC Tournament. You lose game one of the NCAA Tournament.

90% of the fanbase wants to see the coach hit the road, but he’s retained. The homegrown freshman hero featured in the ad is considered likely to go pro.

From a marketing standpoint, could you dream up a less effective scenario to raise funds?

Imagine launching a new NIL initiative, rolling out a commercial between the end of the regular season and the start of the SEC tournament.

Imagine the commercial features your homegrown hero freshman, and everyone’s favorite coach on a hot seat.

Now suppose you lose game one of the SEC Tournament. You lose game one of the NCAA Tournament.

90% of the fanbase wants to see the coach hit the road, but he’s retained. The homegrown freshman hero featured in the ad is considered likely to go pro.

From a marketing standpoint, could you dream up a less effective scenario to raise funds?
pretty much represents UKs mentality at this point. They are inept at managing a program

The more I ponder on this, the more I think this is going to be a big problem.

I said a while back that schools like Duke and Notre Damn are poised very well for this new era of NIL, because of how wealthy and vast their fan base is. And sure, fan donations don't make up everything in NIL.. but fans who own businesses do. And that's what some of these schools have: rich alumni that own their own business, practice, firm, etc.

UK has the money to pay the coach, but they need to figure out how to play this NIL game and a way to fund it. UK needs to be a top10 college for NIL funding, any way it can.

I still like the idea of tapping into the fan base. Levels of NIL donations where say $30 gets you a poster and $100 gets you a signed basketball. Going to have to find ways to tap into the large, but fairly "middle America" fanbase. Tradition does not matter going forward. Relying on what we did in the 40s and the 90s to land recruits just won't work. It's coaching, pay days, perks, and exposure. Have to figure those out. And I know many here don't like that, but it's the only way to stay relevant. It's a players league now.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT