ADVERTISEMENT

KY Legislature Moves to Create Comparable Bill to CA Fair Pay to Play

I'm not whining, that's simply your opinion. Few players are getting paid now if you're referring to the FBI probe. The stipend they get was necessary as too many players suffered with 0 money. As usual, your point is pointless.

they call get paid a cost of attendance. 4k-6k. i think this was implemented in 2011 as a way to give the student athletes something. again they are getting paid.

i guess you will never be a uk fan again. might as well delete your account, toss your uk gear away.

Reactions: gossie21
Yes, I am. I'm not interested in semi-pro sports. There are other things to do in life rather than watch yet another group of pampered overpaid athletes who, once they get too much, will automatically whine for more. You can have it.

College is already semi-pro I don’t see how players now making money off their likeness is changing that much. It’s been talked about, written about for decades how players in both football and basketball have been getting paid by boosters, agents, shoe companies, fans, etc. The greatest damn dynasty in college basketball was paid by Sam Gilbert and that was 40-50 years ago. Who knows how much players have received and not taking any punishment from the NCAA since then.

The Tv contracts, the coverage by media, the money paid to coaches, facilities, stadiums expansions, gambling, all of it consists in pro and college the only 2 differences are one set of players go to class(which is debatable considering what happened at UNC) and players can make money literally the only differences between pro and college

And Moscow Mitch will become a Democrat lol. College sports, at least football and basketball is entertainment some are making millions on. The players should benefit to. That’s my opinion anyway while admitting who and how much is a complicated question. Does the Alabama 2nd string punter get paid more than CSU’s starting QB? Probably.

And Moscow Mitch will become a Democrat lol. College sports, at least football and basketball is entertainment some are making millions on. The players should benefit to. That’s my opinion anyway while admitting who and how much is a complicated question. Does the Alabama 2nd string punter get paid more than CSU’s starting QB? Probably.
The coaches are making millions, the coaches are more important than the players. People act like there's some college football CEO making $50 million a year, most of the the money goes back to the schools and is used for non-revenue sports and academic efforts. This is just people looking for oppression where it doesn't exist, what a shock.

The coaches are making millions, the coaches are more important than the players. People act like there's some college football CEO making $50 million a year, most of the the money goes back to the schools and is used for non-revenue sports and academic efforts. This is just people looking for oppression where it doesn't exist, what a shock.

Coaches more important then players? So the reason Alabama and Clemson can make the playoffs in football every year has nothing to do with getting the one and two recruiting classes every year right?

There is a CEO. His name is Mark Emmert. He’s paid over 2 million dollars a year. To do what exactly?

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
College is already semi-pro I don’t see how players now making money off their likeness is changing that much. It’s been talked about, written about for decades how players in both football and basketball have been getting paid by boosters, agents, shoe companies, fans, etc. The greatest damn dynasty in college basketball was paid by Sam Gilbert and that was 40-50 years ago. Who knows how much players have received and not taking any punishment from the NCAA since then.

The Tv contracts, the coverage by media, the money paid to coaches, facilities, stadiums expansions, gambling, all of it consists in pro and college the only 2 differences are one set of players go to class(which is debatable considering what happened at UNC) and players can make money literally the only differences between pro and college
I dont agree with you.

Coaches more important then players? So the reason Alabama and Clemson can make the playoffs in football every year has nothing to do with getting the one and two recruiting classes every year right?
And the branding that players get from being on those teams isnt important on it's own? The relationship is symbiotic.

they call get paid a cost of attendance. 4k-6k. i think this was implemented in 2011 as a way to give the student athletes something. again they are getting paid.

i guess you will never be a uk fan again. might as well delete your account, toss your uk gear away.
As soon as this is implemented, I will. Look Poindexter, I love baseball more than anything and I love the Reds but I haven't watched or followed them since the mid 90's. If you think I wont walk away from college sports you're deluding yourself. If you think millions like me wont do the same, you're still deluding yourself.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
I don't get the faux outrage.

So if you have an tournament in March with 68 teams featuring players who make a total package worth, say, $50,000/year in stipend/tuition (with maybe 10-20 guys making $100,000 or more behind the scenes), that's fine; but if a very small group of those same players make, say, $100,000 additional dollars in endorsements out in the open, you guys suddenly won't watch the tournament?

Did you guys stop watching after DeAndre Ayton, Higgins-gate, UNC's exoneration, Duke's payments to Zion, the Lance Thomas scandal, etc.?

No, you didn't stop watching. You raised your Puritanical fists to the sky just like you are now but then you settled down, sat back, popped some popcorn, and watched another March Madness just like the rest of us.

I bet almost all of you will do the same after 2023, too.

Reactions: gossie21
Women’s sports generate very very little money. Who is going to pay for their “likeness?”

Depends on how they market their likeness.

giphy.gif

Writing these laws at this point is unnecessary. The California bill needs to play out. Either the NCAA is going to shut down or there is a 100% chance that the NCAA will state very clearly that any student athletes accepting money beyond what they are currently allowed to receive will be ruled ineligible. Then the court battles will ensue. The courts will decide if student athletes can do this and once that happens, it will be nationwide. There is no need for political grandstanding which is all this is.
It's set to take effect in 2023. Things could be vastly different by then.

In the end, I've always felt the publicity rights angle - selling your name, image and likeness - was the cleanest way to get to compensating athletes. Seems to me the last thing we'd want is a college athletics department having a payroll department within it. I'm not opposed to the concept of paying players, I just have a sense it would be very hard to do, complications everywhere. If it's just endorsement deals, maybe you can avoid some of that. You still have potential lockerroom issues - how does Boogie react if he's making $450,000 his freshman year but Wall is making $900,000? And Bledsoe is making $150,000. And Liggins is making $35,000.......
Especially when you're talking about 17, 18, 19 year olds. These aren't seasoned adults like in the NBA or other pro sports.

The simplest solution is often the best (although perhaps still not perfect). Why do schools need to be involved at all with paying players? Isn't the California legislation the simplest solution? Colleges paying players isn't necessary and would surely create more problems (e.g., if you pay the men's basketball/football players do you have to pay participants in the other sports?). Why not just allow the student-athletes the same freedoms every other student has?

The scholarships, coaching, facilities, room and board, etc. are all valuable. The schools can put academic, athletic & character requirements on the scholarship (similar requirements already exist) - that student-athletes will be free to accept or not. The NCAA could require all student-athlete employment and deals to be reported (i.e., everything above board) and legitimate (e.g., not bribes). Any monies deemed a bribe or any non-reported activity would be a violation causing the loss of eligibility. Would some interpretation and adjudication be required? Yes, but probably less than what occurs now. Could some break the rules? Yes, but some (many?) already do now; plus I think this would be simpler and easier to monitor than the myriad archaic rules that now exist.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
As soon as this is implemented, I will. Look Poindexter, I love baseball more than anything and I love the Reds but I haven't watched or followed them since the mid 90's. If you think I wont walk away from college sports you're deluding yourself. If you think millions like me wont do the same, you're still deluding yourself.

Why aren't they walking away now? We've witnessed a system that rewards cheaters (Duke, UNC, Oregon, etc.). None of our fans have walked away yet, have they?

Did they walk away after years of getting intentionally screwed by the likes of Higgins, Showes, or Emmert?

You might walk away, but I can almost guarantee you'll be reserving a table for one (maybe two if you have a significant other) in whatever venue you choose as an alternative to the UK game.

Reactions: G-PIP
Who brings those classes in?

I can see rich boosters luring five star recruits with a “Come to our school and we can get you one hell of an endorsement deal son” type stuff going on. I believe it’s going to ugly but hope that it doesn’t.
That and the the very top recruits going to the L.A.s, Chicago's, and Miami's of the world. Large market = large endorsements and payouts. Much more so than Lexington. Even when some look at UK as a true blueblood...a UK player would have to get a national endorsement to compete with the $ one could make in L.A.

Women’s sports generate very very little money. Who is going to pay for their “likeness?”

the 18 year old that kills it at the olympics in swimming and gets an endorsement deal with nike can now also go to stanford if they choose and compete in the ncaa in swimming.

Reactions: jace2012
If you don't understand the value that a Saban or Dabo brings vs any given player, or Cal for that matter, I can't help you. Of course they are the most important part of the program. Players make a big impact usually no more than 2 seasons when they then move into the professional ranks or exhaust their 4+ years of eligibility where they've received hundreds of thousands of dollars in tuition, room and board, travel, medical care, etc.

That and the the very top recruits going to the L.A.s, Chicago's, and Miami's of the world. Large market = large endorsements and payouts. Much more so than Lexington. Even when some look at UK as a true blueblood...a UK player would have to get a national endorsement to compete with the $ one could make in L.A.

And yet Lexington wouldn't be alone. Kentucky has a whole state behind any potential marketing-through-players scheme, plus a pretty sizable corridor of an entire region of the United States.

Places like Miami, LA (even UCLA with its oft-half-empty gym), Chicago have virtually no college markets. What booster pool do they have? And if it's not about their booster pool, then it has to be about the actual face-to-product sales that a college athlete would net. Would Chevy dealers in Chicago rather choose to invest $200,000 in the next Bulls superstate or the next DePaul McDonald's All-American?

I feel so sorry for these 17 yr old future multi millionaires. Taking one yr out of their opulent lives and subjecting themselves to the indignity of college sports.

Contrast this with the 1000s of uncompensated athletes. They play crap sports and nobody should give a damn about. They won’t earn millions when they leave college. They are so worthless, they will stay in college all 4 years. The damn sports that can’t support themselves should be cancelled. Hell, if an athlete can’t earned money off their likeness, they shouldn’t be playing at all. Start weeding them out in little league.

Hint: Sarcasm meter, right full. This matter is utterly ridiculous. The NCAA is massively corrupt. So the only organization more corrupt is going to save the day. What could go wrong.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
the 18 year old that kills it at the olympics in swimming and gets an endorsement deal with nike can now also go to stanford if they choose and compete in the ncaa in swimming.
I'm not an expert but I think it's usually the other way around. If you've already won Olympic medals you don't waste time with NCAA competition, even if you're in school. Your training would be handled by our Olympic infrastructure. Most athletes hone their skills in college then go to the Olympics.

I'm not an expert but I think it's usually the other way around. If you've already won Olympic medals you don't waste time with NCAA competition, even if you're in school. Your training would be handled by our Olympic infrastructure. Most athletes hone their skills in college then go to the Olympics.

but now they have that choice....

Why aren't they walking away now? We've witnessed a system that rewards cheaters (Duke, UNC, Oregon, etc.). None of our fans have walked away yet, have they?

Did they walk away after years of getting intentionally screwed by the likes of Higgins, Showes, or Emmert?

You might walk away, but I can almost guarantee you'll be reserving a table for one (maybe two if you have a significant other) in whatever venue you choose as an alternative to the UK game.
Who says they are not walking away now? Attendance is down and at least a year or two ago there was a downward trend in viewership. I'm not sure if it has rebounded some or not during the 2018-2019 season.

Without googling (I don’t trust that you won’t but whatevs) can you name 1 17-18 year old swimmer than could have taken advantage of this? 1 field hockey player? 1 interpretive swim dancer?

Who says they are not walking away now? Attendance is down and at least a year or two ago there was a downward trend in viewership. I'm not sure if it has rebounded some or not during the 2018-2019 season.

the last tournament ratings averaged 10.5 million viewers across TBS, CBS, TNT and truTV, an 8% increase. NCAA March Madness live also set new records, as livestreams were up by 31% and live hours consumed increased 29%.

decline in attendance is because people are poor.

And yet Lexington wouldn't be alone. Kentucky has a whole state behind any potential marketing-through-players scheme, plus a pretty sizable corridor of an entire region of the United States.

Places like Miami, LA (even UCLA with its oft-half-empty gym), Chicago have virtually no college markets. What booster pool do they have? And if it's not about their booster pool, then it has to be about the actual face-to-product sales that a college athlete would net. Would Chevy dealers in Chicago rather choose to invest $200,000 in the next Bulls superstate or the next DePaul McDonald's All-American?

Saying something similar to this in the other thread. The money in this won’t automatically shift to large markets. It will go to the big brands, and Kentucky is a big brand in college basketball

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT