ADVERTISEMENT

KY Legislature Moves to Create Comparable Bill to CA Fair Pay to Play

rick64

All-American
Jan 25, 2007
Louisville, KY
Would that potentially make UK players ineligible under NCAA rules?

Last edited:
Could it happen here? Sure. But pre filing a bill is not getting it passed then getting the governor to sign it.

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
Any state with Blue blood college teams will be filing similar bills very soon. It would be interesting to see how the NCAA fights. You know they will, but will they just concede and draft new rules outlining how student athletes can get paid and still be eligible. I believe that to be the ultimate outcome, but they will waste millions fighting these states first.

i just don't want the bill to pass then one of UKs stud players gets paid for an ad then is declared ineligible by the UNCAA right before the FF!

Reactions: Fox2monk
giphy.gif

In the end, I've always felt the publicity rights angle - selling your name, image and likeness - was the cleanest way to get to compensating athletes. Seems to me the last thing we'd want is a college athletics department having a payroll department within it. I'm not opposed to the concept of paying players, I just have a sense it would be very hard to do, complications everywhere. If it's just endorsement deals, maybe you can avoid some of that. You still have potential lockerroom issues - how does Boogie react if he's making $450,000 his freshman year but Wall is making $900,000? And Bledsoe is making $150,000. And Liggins is making $35,000.......

I don't see what is wrong. They are not paying players regarding coming to a particular school or program. But, if you are a superstar and/or popular where they create shirts, action figures, or other stuff with your name and likeness you should be entitled to be compensated. Who should get that money, the NCAA? That has always been ridiculous.

In the end, I've always felt the publicity rights angle - selling your name, image and likeness - was the cleanest way to get to compensating athletes. Seems to me the last thing we'd want is a college athletics department having a payroll department within it. I'm not opposed to the concept of paying players, I just have a sense it would be very hard to do, complications everywhere. If it's just endorsement deals, maybe you can avoid some of that. You still have potential lockerroom issues - how does Boogie react if he's making $450,000 his freshman year but Wall is making $900,000? And Bledsoe is making $150,000. And Liggins is making $35,000.......

They'd likely act the same way they do when they finally reach the NBA - by understanding that value is determined by production of goods or services and the demand for those goods and services. There are injured players like Wall who miss half a season as they make $44 million in guaranteed money while their backup fills in for them at 90% less salary. The backup can quit and try his hand at another job if he wants to as a form of protest, I suppose, or he can accept the privileged realities of what it means to make a living by putting a ball through a hoop.

I mean, most of these kids seem to understand what other adults in the real world understand: you get what the market dictates you're worth. If Liggins is only worth $35,000/ year, he needs to get into the gym and become a guy who can demand $100,000/ year.

I don't see the concern right now. If it's passed and goes through, it will be years down the road before it's actually in place. By then, kids will probably be entering the NBA out of high school again.

I don't see what is wrong. They are not paying players regarding coming to a particular school or program. But, if you are a superstar and/or popular where they create shirts, action figures, or other stuff with your name and likeness you should be entitled to be compensated. Who should get that money, the NCAA? That has always been ridiculous.
You have UK action figures?
Also never seen a official jersey with a last name on it.
Never seen a screen print of a UK player that was officially licenced.

Reactions: Cat06
Of course Bevin, or any other governor, will sign it. Whether you're a Louisville, UK, WKU, EKU, MSU, etc ... fan, one thing we all agree on is the love for college basketball in Kentucky. It transcends politics. The moment UK starts losing a recruit due to other schools in certain states that allow for likeness rights, there will be an uproar.

College sports are changing. I’d rather Kentucky be at the forefront forging it’s own path rather than following others, lagging behind, and potentially adapting a different state’s model which is not completely conducive to our own well being/betterment.

Change is inevitable, and in some ways it sucks, but all I care about in the end is that Kentucky is at the front of the pack. I don’t give a damn if players are receiving money for their likeness as long as the status quo remains the same.

Reactions: TM2013
Writing these laws at this point is unnecessary. The California bill needs to play out. Either the NCAA is going to shut down or there is a 100% chance that the NCAA will state very clearly that any student athletes accepting money beyond what they are currently allowed to receive will be ruled ineligible. Then the court battles will ensue. The courts will decide if student athletes can do this and once that happens, it will be nationwide. There is no need for political grandstanding which is all this is.

Anything that could cause the end to the current NCAA I am for 100 percent!
NCAA is going nowhere. They are to important to said schools. If they were not, said schools would have kicked rocks a long, long time ago. The NCAA provides hundreds of millions of dollars to membership schools for educational purposes, scholarships, non0revenue sports, legal services...So on and so on. I don't care how deep schools pockets are, via boosters, alumni, etc, etc...Programs would not survive.

I can see rich boosters luring five star recruits with a “Come to our school and we can get you one hell of an endorsement deal son” type stuff going on. I believe it’s going to ugly but hope that it doesn’t.

So same thing that is happening now at schools but legal

So same thing that is happening now at schools but legal
I bet most of the money as of now is going to everyone around the kid and maybe a little bit to him. I guess atleast now the player will be paid therefore for cutting out everyone else.

Yes, I am. I'm not interested in semi-pro sports. There are other things to do in life rather than watch yet another group of pampered overpaid athletes who, once they get too much, will automatically whine for more. You can have it.

well its in motion. bell isnt going too be unrung. players are all ready getting paid (its just little). so...my question is, why are you here? oh and dont look now...but you are whining....

Me and my garage band should not expect nor be upset if we dont Get paid as much as the Rolling Stones just cuz we both are bands. I dont see any reason for lockeroom issue. Getting paid on their likeliness depends on their value. If fans would rather buy player A's Jersey instead of player B jersey that's player Bs fault. Get better.

This is America everyone isn't paid equally no matter if you work at McDonald's or a fortune 500 company. And although there are wage gaps these companies still function.

Reactions: TM2013
well its in motion. bell isnt going too be unrung. players are all ready getting paid (its just little). so...my question is, why are you here? oh and dont look now...but you are whining....
I'm not whining, that's simply your opinion. Few players are getting paid now if you're referring to the FBI probe. The stipend they get was necessary as too many players suffered with 0 money. As usual, your point is pointless.

ADVERTISEMENT