ADVERTISEMENT

KU / UK Game: Lexington Recs

A group of 4 KU fans are heading to Lexington next week for the game next Saturday and wanted to get some recs on things to do/places to eat/etc.

We are doing 3 or 4 bourbon tastings but don't have much else planned except for the game.

Look forward to a fun game!

If you enjoy burbon, it is a short drive to Lawrenceburg to go on a tour of the Wild Turkey distillery. It is an even shorter drive to Frankfort to go on tours of the Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve distilleries. Woodford Reserve has the nicest distillery, but I thought the Wild Turkey distillery tour was the most informative. I hope Kentucky wins the game, but otherwise I hope you enjoy your time in the bluegrass.

A group of 4 KU fans are heading to Lexington next week for the game next Saturday and wanted to get some recs on things to do/places to eat/etc.

We are doing 3 or 4 bourbon tastings but don't have much else planned except for the game.

Do all your drinking before the game. It's a damn shame the SEC can't sell beer for sporting events.

Horse farms are always a great place to tour. Ashford Stud, home of Triple Crown winners American Pharoah and Justify is located 10 minutes from Lexington in Versailles. Hope you enjoy your stay.

https://coolmore.com/farms/america/pages/farm-tours-1

Also, since you’re from Kansas, you can visit Coach Rupp’s gravesite at Lexington Cemetery located 5 minutes from Rupp Arena. Section 45 Lot 677.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/2392/adolph-frederick-rupp

47-B94501-E36-B-4-E20-93-AE-960-E1-AAC1-AE6.jpg

Buffalo Trace and Woodford. Get limo/car service. Buy some bottles at the location and enjoy them as you drive around. From memory, these distilleries aren't THAT close to each other, so it's worth it to not have to drive.

If you enjoy burbon, it is a short drive to Lawrenceburg to go on a tour of the Wild Turkey distillery. It is an even shorter drive to Frankfort to go on tours of the Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve distilleries. Woodford Reserve has the nicest distillery, but I thought the Wild Turkey distillery tour was the most informative. I hope Kentucky wins the game, but otherwise I hope you enjoy your time in the bluegrass.

Is Woodford Reserve still dry on Sundays? I made the mistake of scheduling the tour on a Sunday about 15 years ago and couldn’t even get a taste.

Reactions: CommanderTimmy
Food in Lexington:

- Indi’s chicken off broadway. 30 wings for 15. Get a bunch and get a mini fridge in ur hotel to have snacks for the weekend.
- Magee’s for breakfast, ham biscuits, pastries, etc.
-goodfellas pizza
- merick inn for a good southern meal

I know rival fans poke fun at rupp being in a “mall” but get downtown before the game and go to the Hyatt to tailgate.

Regarding restaurants, my current special faves downtown are Carson's, Tony's and Grillfish. Al three are eight blocks or less from Rupp Arena. If you are outside the downtown area on the south end, J Alexander's in The Summit, Palmer's in Lexington Green and Guiseppe's farther out Nicholasville Road are really nice. On the east end, can't go wrong with Malone's just off Man O' War Blvd. near I-75.

Is Woodford Reserve still dry on Sundays? I made the mistake of scheduling the tour on a Sunday about 15 years ago and couldn’t even get a taste.

Nope. We went there on Sunday in November. Fantastic tour. We also went to Four Roses, Buffalo Trace and Wild Turkey on Monday. Thats a pretty easy circuit to do in a day.

Do all your drinking before the game. It's a damn shame the SEC can't sell beer for sporting events.
Thats a matter of opinion, I took my granddaughter to NOLA to Final Four in 2012 and a drunk spilled his drink all over which upset her and me. I took her up to the bathroom where thankfully a lady told me she would clean her up as I didn't want to take her to the mens room and I didn't think i needed to go in the woman's room because I am a male and identify as one, while I went and got her a new shirt to put on. When we went back to the seats and sat down here come Otis with another drink sloshing it everywhere, and I asked him nicely to wait until my granddaughter could move out to isle then he could go on, well he was drunk so he decided he could make it without spilling it, so I decide to pin him against the rail and hold him until she could get to the isle and I did but it caused a unnecessary scene so I am thankful the SEC doesn't allow alcohol at the games.

Reactions: awf and JRCAT14
I’m hosting a game party at my house. You can come hang out before the game and eat some of my wife’s famous buffalo dip. Also have a double pop-a-shot to play; fair warning though, my high score is now 118 points in 45 seconds. I will beat you. Of course we can play some NBA2K19 on the PS4 - I get to pick first team (I’m always All-Time Rockets, as Harden don’t miss and Drexler is hard to stop, not to mention Hakeem manning the post!!). Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the party will consist of myself, my wife, my two kids, and you guys. Let me know. This is my house so you know what to look for:

IS2zbvznfuibzx0000000000.jpg

Nope. We went there on Sunday in November. Fantastic tour. We also went to Four Roses, Buffalo Trace and Wild Turkey on Monday. Thats a pretty easy circuit to do in a day.

Ahh, glad to see that changed. Its been almost 20 years since I was there last.

On a day where you don't have formal breakfast plans, I would hit Spalding's Bakery, on Winchester Road, about a 5 minute drive from Rupp Arena for their glazed donuts. Get their early especially on Sunday morning, as the church orders and walk ins will gobble up the stash. Cash only business, but definitely worth it.

Ill second the recommendations about Woodford Reserve and Buffalo Trace distilleries. Wild Turkey and Four Roses also arent too far off that path. You could get up and knock all 4 out in a day pretty easily. Also located in some very scenic horse farm area so, provided the weather cooperates, could be a beautiful drive.

As was mentioned above, the Lexington Cemetary is a stones throw from Rupp Arena, Coach Rupp and Henry Clay both buried there. Several members of my family as well, but dont think theyll make your itinerary lol.

Food wise, several good options already mentioned that are local, we can all provide better recommendations based on whay y'all are interested in eating/atmosphere/price range etc.

Tony's is across from Rupp, and well worth the $ if you are up for some quality dining. Hopcat is a short walk from Rupp if you are into craft beer, plenty of TVs for sports, beer selection, burgere and other fare as well as crack fries. Gotta get the crack fries.

Several craft breweries in Lexington....Blue Stallion, West 6th, Country Boy, Mirror Twin, Rock House, none of them are really walking distance from Rupp, but all are located in what we generally consider to be downtown so Uber can get you there safe and sound.

Lots of construction going on in and around Rupp Arena. Parking and traffic are pretty awful so either plan to get there early or go out to eat and drink somewhere relatively close and hang out and walk to the game from there.

Plenty of other stuff in and around the city we can recommend, just let us know where youre staying and what kind of budget and timeline y'all have. Hope you enjoy your visit to Lexington and to our great state.

There is not much to see or do in most of Kentucky this time of year but the Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby Museum would be a great start. The Muhammad Ali Center and Louisville Slugger Museum are also must see if you are a big sports fan or American sports history. The mega cavern is a must. If you like adult beverages check out the adult bourbon trail. Also you will find your dining and lodging much more to your liking in the metro area. Transportation options are also more convenient. Only a 90 minute drive to the game through horse country. Much more to see and do in the city.

I’m hosting a game party at my house. You can come hang out before the game and eat some of my wife’s famous buffalo dip. Also have a double pop-a-shot to play; fair warning though, my high score is now 118 points in 45 seconds. I will beat you. Of course we can play some NBA2K19 on the PS4 - I get to pick first team (I’m always All-Time Rockets, as Harden don’t miss and Drexler is hard to stop, not to mention Hakeem manning the post!!). Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the party will consist of myself, my wife, my two kids, and you guys. Let me know. This is my house so you know what to look for:

IS2zbvznfuibzx0000000000.jpg
Reminds me of back in the day....we traveled to a couple of bluegrass festivals a month.....we invited everyone we met to come to our Derby party the following year.......I bet between the four of us we invited thousands of people to our party.......we never gave address out......

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
Jeez you guys are soft. We don’t want you in our great state, drinking our bourbon and rooting against the Cats in Rupp Arena. I’m sure you’re a nice guy but this is sacred land, stay out

Four Roses is a nice Bourbon tour...at least it was for us. They aren't as stingy with their samples [cheers] as Makers, Woodford and Buffalo Trace...but that's only based on my experience. Others may feel differently.

Knob creek is the real deal but you can’t go wrong with Woodford bulleit or Buf trace

Is knob near those two? I remember Lexington didn't have as many big name distilleries as out by Louisville. I think we pretty much had Woodford and BT in the half hour area.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT