ADVERTISEMENT

KSR without Matt Jones is hard to listen to.

Having Tom Leach on today got my attention, wish he would come on more, makes it worthwhile

Reactions: kl40504
I'm not sure what shows you listen to on KSR and I'm not defending Kyle, he is who he is, but to say that Matt doesn't talk down to people on the radio is wrong. He gets annoyed very easy and cuts people off if there is a hint that they will disagree with him. Actually Kyle and Matt maybe long lost twins separated at birth. :)
I mean in a way he does do it...but not in the "you're an awful person" way that Tucker does on twitter. Matt just gets flustered when he has to argue with people...but at least he will give you the opportunity to debate...even if he tries to shout you down. He usually shouts down the idea...not the person.

I mean in a way he does do it...but not in the "you're an awful person" way that Tucker does on twitter. Matt just gets flustered when he has to argue with people...but at least he will give you the opportunity to debate...even if he tries to shout you down. He usually shouts down the idea...not the person.

I guess, I really liked having Tom Leach on there yesterday, he's a very good sports radio guy.

I agree with you. Matt Jones is an entertaining guy. If he would just stick to sports. I thought KSR stood for Kentucky Sports Radio. Not Kentucky Political Radio. When he starts drifting off into politics, that has a tendency to rub a lot of people the wrong way.
He rarely does that and even tells listeners not to.

I guess, I really liked having Tom Leach on there yesterday, he's a very good sports radio guy.
Yes but he's extremely bland. I can't listen to him for more than a few minutes without dozing off. Tom is smart but he's paid by the UK sports network to just talk sports and I need a little more than just sports. National shows like that are beginning to die off. I need a little pizzazz in whatever I'm listening to.

Yes but he's extremely bland. I can't listen to him for more than a few minutes without dozing off. Tom is smart but he's paid by the UK sports network to just talk sports and I need a little more than just sports. National shows like that are beginning to die off. I need a little pizzazz in whatever I'm listening to.

Yeah I don't like Comedy Central in my sports, plus Tom has some great guests call in like JRow and others.

I still listen because it’s better than the alternative. Everything else on the radio sucks. But I will not listen if Alan Cutler is on that day. He is by far the worst. I can’t think of anybody else’s voice I dislike hearing more than Cutler’s.

Reactions: Pygmy Sasquatch
I still listen because it’s better than the alternative. Everything else on the radio sucks. But I will not listen if Alan Cutler is on that day. He is by far the worst. I can’t think of anybody else’s voice I dislike hearing more than Cutler’s.
I love the Cutler shows...but then again I've never lived in Lexington so I haven't had to hear him for years.

Reactions: G-PIP
I'll tell you something that irks me - the fact that guys like Kyle and Matt both bitch so much about how people tell them to "stick to sports." While they have every right to stick to whatever they want to, isn't it logical that, if I follow the primary account for a professional that covers UK sports, I'm doing this to follow their thoughts/content on, I don't know, UK sports...!? They can post what they want but don't be surprised when people complain about it. I guess Matt made an alternate twitter handle and I think that's a great idea.

And also, don't assume any opposition to off-sports-topics is solely based in political disagreement. I get just as irritated when someone I follow for sports is ranting on the conservative side. If I want constant political commentary, I'll follow those who exist primarily to provide it.

As much of a right as they have to post what they want, we have a right to find it annoying when they go off-topic. We're not following some personal account of theirs or something. Its the twitter account existing for the promotion of their website or professional content. Sure, we don't have to follow and/or listen. But the fact that its "all or nothing" is going to be frustrating for many and I think this is understandable.

I'll tell you something that irks me - the fact that guys like Kyle and Matt both bitch so much about how people tell them to "stick to sports." While they have every right to stick to whatever they want to, isn't it logical that, if I follow the primary account for a professional that covers UK sports, I'm doing this to follow their thoughts/content on, I don't know, UK sports...!? They can post what they want but don't be surprised when people complain about it. I guess Matt made an alternate twitter handle and I think that's a great idea.

And also, don't assume any opposition to off-sports-topics is solely based in political disagreement. I get just as irritated when someone I follow for sports is ranting on the conservative side. If I want constant political commentary, I'll follow those who exist primarily to provide it.

As much of a right as they have to post what they want, we have a right to find it annoying when they go off-topic. We're not following some personal account of theirs or something. Its the twitter account existing for the promotion of their website or professional content. Sure, we don't have to follow and/or listen. But the fact that its "all or nothing" is going to be frustrating for many and I think this is understandable.
This. 1000 flippin times this. It has nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing politically. Its that I dont listen to sports radio for freaking politics! I dont care! Shut up about the politics already! I can deal with the goofy off topic stuff. Highlighting the different people and areas of the state. Bringing up oddball local news stories. Doing charity stuff. All good! But for the love of God I dont want to hear about ANY politics! Plenty of sports and light hearted OT stuff to fill 2 hrs with.

Some mornings I tune in, some I dont, and I go from there. Ill give their site (even if the update is covered in ads and less navigable than previous iterations) credit, lots of daily UK updates on all manner of things which I can filter myself to focus on what I care about and ignore the other junk on there which is great.

But the show used to be more sports focused and the foolishness, fun stuff, OT stuff was sprinkled in. Somewhere in the last 2 yrs its evolved into something different.

To the people who say why bother listening if all youre going to do is complain, well simply, its because we want the show to go back to being as enjoyable as it once was. I used to look forward to my lunch hour because it coinceded with the broadcast and it made lunch enjoyable. Now they're lucky if I even bother turning it on most days.

My 2 cents.

Matt Jones has his own radio show and blog. He can have any content on it he wants. I use to listen to the show and read the blog quite regularly. I enjoyed both even though I knew his political views were quite different from mine, because both entities were almost exclusively about UK sports.

I think Matt is a very good radio host and does a good job when on national shows talking about UK sports.

That said, once his radio show and blog began to morph into his political vendetta against everything republican, I made the choice to stop listening and stop looking at the blog (which is now horrible).

I haven't missed the radio show, as I now listen to Brent Musberger's VSIN (Vegas Stats and Information Network). It is very informative and entertaining, even though I don't bet on games (just do Fan Duel).

The issue with Matt and his cronies talking about politics itself isn't one in my mind. It's the unbalanced way they do it. Although I am a conservative in my thinking I don't have a problem with the left progressive liberals talking about their viewpoints until they refuse to talk about the opposite view points that could be valid.

Matt and his sidekicks are nothing but closed minded libs that think shutting up republicans and conservatives is the only good way to present their views since most of the time their views are based off emotions and not facts. We live in a time that our first amendment rights are being violated and no one says a dam thing about it.

If Matt had someone on the show to present the opposing views they wouldn't be getting as much flac as they do. I would be fine with them if they were more balanced.

Reactions: Cats192
I lost a ton of respect for Matt with how all of the politics played out.

It's been well known for over a year he was considering running. He's played this game with 1 foot in and one foot out. You're going to get accused of impropriety.

He got taken off the TV show and became this whiny victim. Woah is me. His tweets were all about how the other politician (McGrath)? wronged him.

Then rinse and repeat on the radio show. You get accused of something. You keep talking about running. You stay on the air to express your politics. You had to know this was coming. I even thought about it after the TV thing. But not Matt. He was again a huge victim. He whined and whinted on Twitter.

You can't "mull" running for candidacy and stay on the air to bash the others. You can't write a book called Mitch Please and say "Oh, but I'm not even in it."

I go to CNN/Foxnews/MSNBC for my politics. I go to KSR for basketball. While I appreciate Matt's attempt to cover it all, It's not what I want. Any good site, show knows "play to your audience," which is what got KSR to this point. You've lost that. And now you're playing victi over it.

The irony in MJ and politics on the show...

Some of us are old enough to remember the original KSR show thread- unfiltered, un-moderated and awesome. It would get constant shoutouts on the show b/c the comments were so good. Hundreds of comments per show. Well, it was rife with political commentary and most of it was not D friendly. So, they ushered in the mods, banned the repeat offenders and rounded the edges off to be the ghost town of who cares that it is today and has been for years. Twitter filled the void while allowing KSR to dodge the comments they don't want to address by letting them get lost in the sea of noise. Ha.

Love the show.. gives me a couple of hours of listening to people talk U.K. sports for the most part.
I live near Atlanta we are barely mentioned on shows around here unless were about too play Georgia in Football or the basketball team loses.

Reactions: KMKAT
It's an extremely difficult job to do. Just imagine that job being handed to you with no time to prepare, just thrown on you. I think the guys are doing an amazing job.

The Cory from Ft. Thomas guy was awesome tonight though!
Yep. And a big kudos to Matt for bailing on his show and relying on Ryan to cover for him 24/7 (morning show, pre-game and post-game), like Ryan doesn't have a real job and a family to worry about. That first week, you could hear Ryan breaking down on air. Matt gives Zero F's, off writing some book nobody wants to read...

I used to visit his site daily and listen to the show regularly. I don't do either now. It wasn't any one reason. Just a variety of things. The politics stuff didn't help, but that wasn't all of it.

Love the show.. gives me a couple of hours of listening to people talk U.K. sports for the most part.
I live near Atlanta we are barely mentioned on shows around here unless were about too play Georgia in Football or the basketball team loses.

Agree; I can’t even listen to Atlanta sports in the am. At least I get a nugget or 2 on KSR in between the personal lives of the hosts.
Kyle Tucker and Cameron have been okay in Matt’s absence. I’d like to hear Oscar appear more, but maybe it threatens the show’s knowledge of the teams.
All in all, At least KSR is an option when talk radio is very average as a whole no matter where you listen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT