ADVERTISEMENT

KSR without Matt Jones is hard to listen to.

Like him or hate him Matt is good at what he does. He's interesting and has good takes on all things UK. If he's going to take more sabbaticals in the future I wish he would let Kyle Tucker and Tony Vanetti co-host KSR. Both of those guys are interesting and can hold an audience. In fact I think they could do a great sports show together that could rival KSR if they ever chose to do so.

The problem is - he has a Napoleon complex so he surrounds himself with guys who can't do the job so that he overflates his star power. Similar to a semi-hot chick clubbing with fat chicks.

Lemond is a clown show sidekick that's sole purpose is to get made a fool of and Monobrow is funny in spurts but couldn't lead a whore to bed.

Bangs wisely surrounded himself with talent that could not hold his jock with 2 hands and a wheel barrow.

Reactions: Big Blue in 502
I want to comment, but I've never listened to a show I don't like more than once, so I don't know how to enter this conversation. Bit people like to complain, especially on this board, so I get it.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
I’ve never enjoyed it much without Matt. As someone else said, he makes a good framer and “referee” when Ryan goes off the rails. It’s a combo that works and works well..........
I totally agree. The show isn’t the same without Matt, but he and Ryan are good together.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
KSR is hard to listen to WITH Matt Jones. I only listen to it pre-game and even that is starting to suck. Post game is ok because there’s a lot more fan interaction discussing the game. The rest is just sophomoric nonsense, more suited for teenagers.
Ah, a gentleman and a scholar.

I too enjoy the more sophisticated, adult talk, where we engage in the cerebral enterprise of analysing the myriad ways in which a teenager might pass an orange ball through a metal hoop.

CcMhseZXIAQFcsW.jpg

Reactions: 420grover
I like the show with Matt on it, entertaining, even tho he couldn't change a tire if his life depended on it. With him on vacation it sucks. Its like listening to high school radio. Shannon the Dude is the oddball...he has zero sense of humor, not a UK fan, brings nothing to the table and has a personality that rivals a hamster. Drew is hilarious on twitter.

Matt is a brilliant, interesting guy who, on his radio shown, has surrounded himself with lesser talents that fill in the gaps. They do so rather nicely. The show is not the same without him. Before you call me a MJ fanboy hear this - I rarely listen any more because of his and the shows politics. But you can't deny his talents and success.

I too enjoy the more sophisticated, adult talk, where we engage in the cerebral enterprise of analysing the myriad ways in which a teenager might pass an orange ball through a metal hoop.

CcMhseZXIAQFcsW.jpg
61-E80-D50-F75-A-480-C-A880-5-B1-EFB1896-A1.jpg

Reactions: Jkwo
I think Lachlan Maclean is bordering on unprofessionalism. His hatred for UK and Cal is pathological for a non-native of the area. I think his wife is a UL native and fan, but I'm not sure, and that shouldn't matter anyway. He has to be dragged kicking and screaming to say anything positive about UK and blows up everything that might be negative. I used to listen to him from time to time, but I can't anymore. His voice is so grating and he drips sarcasm and hate for just about everything. The reason I say he's unprofessional is that he is now a TV "anchor" for Spectrum news. His open hostility for UK doesn't fit with a position where is supposed to be impartial. But aside from that, it's not that he doesn't like UK or Cal, it's the way he does it with his mocking condescension when discussing anything Cal does, or about UK fans. Other than all that, he's a great guy.

I’d love a chance to Bitch slap Lach.

I struggle listening while Matt’s not there too. Ryan and Drew are great as Matt’s sidekicks but there is a big drop off when either is running the show.

Agreed....longtime listener and I like all of them. But, I can’t listen without Matt on. Also, Drew’s Nick Richards shtick is getting really old.

Reactions: kl40504
I dont listen much anymore, the nonstop political and restaurant talk are tiresome. But I've listened to a few days on podcast, and it's just horrible now. A little Ryan goes a long way.

For me, it has become hard to listen to KSR, with him on air. With Lemond, it is unthinkable to tune in to it. My biggest problem with the show is that they have gone almost completely away from the intended programming, which was "Kentucky Sports Radio." All they talk about are TV shows, wrestling, their bar/restaurant, politics, and anything other than sports. I haven't tuned in for almost a year.
That is what makes them extremely popular

These local sports only shows are garbage anyways. In nashville our sports shows work in regional and national stories. That makes a better show. Local all the time is boring.

That is what makes them extremely popular

I guess if that is what those tuning in are wanting to hear. I just feel like if a show's main purpose is to discuss Kentucky sports, then that is what they should deliver, at least 80% of the time. They fall way short. I guess it is a matter of personal taste.

CcMhseZXIAQFcsW.jpg

Well, I guess that is where they fall short. If it is about Kentucky sports, it can be about a 5K in Owensboro that is raising money for a kid's operation, Justin Thomas's performance in the President's Cup, upcoming races at Kentucky Speedway, the Breeder's Cup at Keeneland this year, the hiring of new football coaches at EKU and Murray, the King of the Bluegrass tournament, etc.

There are so many directions this show could go that it is ridiculous for them to have to talk about so many things that are off topic. The fallacy is that it has to be about UK. Obviously, there is a lot of UK to discuss, but a true "Kentucky Sports" program should cover many different sports, at different levels. It would be so much better than their endless self-promotion of restaurants, and t-shirts.

I don't mind the off topic stuff like the food bracket and stuff like that from time to time. It does keep things fresh. But as soon as they go into political crap(which isnt a ton, but still happens), that's when the channel gets turned. I think 90% of his audience would say the same thing. Keep to sports and the fun stuff and leave the politics to Fox/CNN/MSNBC.

For all you people who expect them to only talk sports, what is there to talk about now UK Sportswise?

Spend 3 weeks breaking down UK-Va Tech? Spend a week talking about an awful Ga Tech team?

For all you people who expect them to only talk sports, what is there to talk about now UK Sportswise?

Spend 3 weeks breaking down UK-Va Tech? Spend a week talking about an awful Ga Tech team?

I don't think they should just talk about sports but from your post it leads me to believe you think the university only has two sports....

Kyle Tucker isn't a good fit. A show that requires personality just isn't in his wheelhouse. He's good talking about sports on his podcast...but when you need him to discuss the real world he's not really strong.

He's the definition of a hateful person. Matt can be political, but respectful. Kyle is just hateful towards anyone who doesn't agree with his world view. He can't do it in person...so he does it behind a keyboard.

Therein lies the problem. I think most of us are here to talk about UK sports and not other topics. Those who think MJ is great often bash those of us who don't. I find it ironic because the ONLY thing that unifies us is our love of UK. Great, some people love "The View" and late night comedians. Some of us don't.

Reactions: CB3UK
Therein lies the problem. I think most of us are here to talk about UK sports and not other topics. Those who think MJ is great often bash those of us who don't. I find it ironic because the ONLY thing that unifies us is our love of UK. Great, some people love "The View" and late night comedians. Some of us don't.
There's a pretty active off-topic board here and there is always OT threads on RR. So, I'd say while most are here to talk UK sports, other topics are welcomed.

Please read my post that was 2 posts earlier than yours. It doesn't have to be all UK. It is KY sports and can be a myriad of topics. Even if it were only UK sports, you could cover the bowl game preparation, recruiting for both FB, and BB, women's basketball, the upcoming baseball season, coaching changes, planned upgrades to facilities, etc.

You could have someone from the university be a guest and talk about all that goes into gameday preparation for a football game, which is more extensive than anyone realizes. There is just so much more they could do with actual sports. If they want to self-promote their business ventures, as long as they don't spend half the show on it, I'm ok.

There's a pretty active off-topic board here and there is always OT threads on RR. So, I'd say while most are here to talk UK sports, other topics are welcomed.

That is true but the percentage of OT threads is quite low. We all love to get off once in a while. And, I find it interesting that a lot of threads that start with "OT" aren't really off topic.

I have to agree. I don't listen anymore but could never stand when Cutler was the fill in guest.

My rule of thumb with KSR has become...listen to the first 30 minutes and you are pretty much clued in on any UK news you need.
Listen to the rest of the show for background noise and the occasional decent interview. Everything else is fodder.
What KSR really needs is another UofL scandal and a interview with the person(s) at the center of the mess. Could be a hooker but, not mandatory.
The very mention of the name "Alan Cutler" causes me to instantly change the station or turn it off altogether.

Count me in as another that doesn't listen much when Matt is gone. Drew is the best of the others but really they all need Matt to be there in order for their roles to work. Personally, I don't see what Ryan adds to the show but Matt clearly does - and it does appear that he likely knows better than most of us how to pull in an audience.

I'd prefer Matt not get political but its his show and I don't have to listen. Its still worth it and no one listener is going to be captivated by every topic.

Agree with those of you who have mentioned Matt being good framer of topics - almost like he's the QB or point guard that the show really can't manage without. I can count the number of times I've wondered what Ryan or Shannon think about a certain topic or UK sports event - it hasn't happened. Drew to a lesser degree but Matt's takes do interest me. Beyond that, he's good at making me care about random topics or stories and brings up interesting dilemmas. I'll surely listen once he's back.

I've shifted to Kyle Tucker's podcast for now. He's better on it than he is on KSR and he's pretty good on KSR.

I've shifted to Kyle Tucker's podcast for now. He's better on it than he is on KSR and he's pretty good on KSR.
I've listened to his podcast for over a year now and don't miss a day. Subscribed to the athletic just for his articles.

His twitter account...yeah I just had to unfollow that account...I truly think he battles depression or has some sort of issue. How one many can be genuinely so nice when you listen to him...but just be so cruel behind a twitter account is interesting.

Well, I guess that is where they fall short. If it is about Kentucky sports, it can be about a 5K in Owensboro that is raising money for a kid's operation, Justin Thomas's performance in the President's Cup, upcoming races at Kentucky Speedway, the Breeder's Cup at Keeneland this year, the hiring of new football coaches at EKU and Murray, the King of the Bluegrass tournament, etc.

There are so many directions this show could go that it is ridiculous for them to have to talk about so many things that are off topic. The fallacy is that it has to be about UK. Obviously, there is a lot of UK to discuss, but a true "Kentucky Sports" program should cover many different sports, at different levels. It would be so much better than their endless self-promotion of restaurants, and t-shirts.
I think this is a more well-written critique, but I also believe that their silliness is what sets them apart from the 1000 serious (or attempted serious) radio shows in terms of pulling in listeners who otherwise have nothing to do with the radio. If you just want drawn-out analysis of a topic, there's no shortage of it.

My rule of thumb with KSR has become...listen to the first 30 minutes and you are pretty much clued in on any UK news you need.
Listen to the rest of the show for background noise and the occasional decent interview. Everything else is fodder.
What KSR really needs is another UofL scandal and a interview with the person(s) at the center of the mess. Could be a hooker but, not mandatory.
The very mention of the name "Alan Cutler" causes me to instantly change the station or turn it off altogether.
Actually the first 30 minutes are made up of what ply of toliet paper Matt used last night or some other stupid stuff that he thinks we care about.

Ryan Lemond is an absolute clown. I can listen to Matt, Drew and Shannon but can’t stand Lemond. He goes off the rails to make sure he get’s to do his politically correct grandstanding which has nothing to do with UK sports. If it were the offseason I could understand but during basketball and bowl season he should stick to sports. He’s a tired act. Probably why I haven’t listened for a couple of weeks.

I don't think they should just talk about sports but from your post it leads me to believe you think the university only has two sports....

Well, those are the most popular sports.....If you'd rather talk about the women's cross country team I doubt they'd hang up on you.

I've listened to his podcast for over a year now and don't miss a day. Subscribed to the athletic just for his articles.

His twitter account...yeah I just had to unfollow that account...I truly think he battles depression or has some sort of issue. How one many can be genuinely so nice when you listen to him...but just be so cruel behind a twitter account is interesting.
Tucker is very good in his coverage of UK. But I agree, his twitter account is insufferable. He is a brainless moron when it comes to any issue outside sports and is thin skinned. In general, he seems to be a terrible human being unless it involves sports.

As far as KSR, I will listen to post game but that’s it. Never listen to pregame or their daily show. Now I won’t listen at all with Lemond doing the show. He is irritating and annoying.

Tucker is very good in his coverage of UK. But I agree, his twitter account is insufferable. He is a brainless moron when it comes to any issue outside sports and is thin skinned. In general, he seems to be a terrible human being unless it involves sports.
Feeling a little butt hurt are we?

That’s pretty much KSR. They focus first and foremost on UK football and basketball. They will cover anything interesting happening in the other UK sports or Kentucky related topics. But they will also go off on tangents over non-sports topics if they are interesting and drive conversations.

I don’t think a show that rigidly stuck to sports simply for the sake if sticking to sports would be very interesting at all.

Reactions: mapcatfan
I only listen when damaging info comes out on lilbrothel. When he is hating on LilBro he is fun to listen to. In the zone. Other than that I have no interest in listening especially because of his leftist politics being foisted on the audience....who I add is largely opposed to it. On that alone he shows his lack of intelligence. Play to the audience and not against it.

Reactions: FusterCluck
Like him or hate him Matt is good at what he does. He's interesting and has good takes on all things UK. If he's going to take more sabbaticals in the future I wish he would let Kyle Tucker and Tony Vanetti co-host KSR. Both of those guys are interesting and can hold an audience. In fact I think they could do a great sports show together that could rival KSR if they ever chose to do so.
One problem with just about all of our local radio personalities (Lexington) is that they've all been very complacent for a long time. No one does any homework. They just talk, and frankly, don't bring a lot of fresh perspective or excitement. Matt has done a fabulous job filling a void and then parlaying his "gift of gab" into a great enterprise, and he should be commended for his ability to talk on air, orchestrate different programs, and bring a show that, as I say, fills a void. However, he too is guilty of not doing his homework at times, and in that business, it should never happen that you are unprepared or not familiar with a local or national sports topic. They also get a little too boring and knuckleheaded just to fill up air time (due to a lack of preparation). On top of everything else, the format of the show should feature callers more, letting them have more time per all the time waiting to get on the air. I would prefer to hear them more with less goofiness from the hosts. That said, I do still listen almost daily, and I applaud his success and that of the others.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT