ADVERTISEMENT

Ksr talk about the team

Oweh has been mentioned as a really good athlete and a very good defender I doubt it is him. Some of the other guards have mentioned that he is tough to go against. He can also get to the rim very well too.

Reactions: Fox2monk
You missed Oweh - not one word said about him. I would also remove Chandler from your candidates because shortly after Jones' comment he mentioned how he hadn't really heard anything at all about Chandler.

So, that leaves Almonor, Williams, Oweh, and Noah. I wouldn't think there were much expectations for Almonor or Noah, so I think it's between Williams and Oweh - and considering we've heard from other reports that Williams has looked fairly good, I suspect Oweh is who Jones was referring to.

It's either that, or Jones meant to say Williams when talking about Garrison. In that case, Garrison is likely the player who has underwhelmed. That would follow with what other folks have said in prior reports.

It is Oweh. This was talked about on one of the podcasts I listen to...cannot remember which one, but Pope or one of Assts openly talked about "one of the guys struggling to pick up on something". The coach then mentioned that player by name when sharing a story.

Oweh was not mentioned by Jones and certainly would qualify as a surprise based off of his performance at previous school.

It is Oweh. This was talked about on one of the podcasts I listen to...cannot remember which one, but Pope or one of Assts openly talked about "one of the guys struggling to pick up on something". The coach then mentioned that player by name when sharing a story.

Oweh was not mentioned by Jones and certainly would qualify as a surprise based off of his performance at previous school.
That is surprising with what I have heard of how he was doing. An OK fan told me before practiced started that Oweh was really good and was a good get for us FWIW.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
That is surprising with what I have heard of how he was doing. An OK fan told me before practiced started that Oweh was really good and was a good get for us FWIW.

Well what Jones said he heard may be what I just referred to and that was like a month ago. Jones has been totally out of the loop for 2 months so everything is "new" to him right now.

I certainly read nothing into it whatsoever. Even if Oweh is struggling right now it is still 3 months until season. Silly to worry about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats192
Glad to hear it wasn't Carr.

I can tell you who I think is a massive disappointment and just don't like his game and that's Kriisa. Never have cared for his play and he's produced historically awful numbers in the NCAA Tournament. But he's "fun" or "crazy" and that is more media friendly. His antics wear thin when he's stinking up the court.
He is a awful defender. Careless with the ball and a streaky shooter. He will have some really good shooting games. But he isn't someone you want on the court in crunch time IMO

I hope it's not Williams. I feel he's an important part.
Not sure Oweh was mentioned. I took it to be him or Williams (given Garrison was mentioned twice)
I’ve read elsewhere on this site that Garrison is pretty far behind Williams and that Chandler is behind the other freshman at this point .

Reactions: cats#1again
what I'm looking forward to is a team that shows growth continually throughout the season, is coached logically and transparently and in a way the fans can relate to.

it will be refreshing to actually watch the games and realize the best team is on the court and the players are playing for a common goal

everything else will shake out player wise. I'm not questioning whether Pope will have top draft picks on the bench or won't be scared to bench guys because their agents threaten to do whatever

Reactions: Ron Mehico
You missed Oweh - not one word said about him. I would also remove Chandler from your candidates because shortly after Jones' comment he mentioned how he hadn't really heard anything at all about Chandler.

So, that leaves Almonor, Williams, Oweh, and Noah. I wouldn't think there were much expectations for Almonor or Noah, so I think it's between Williams and Oweh - and considering we've heard from other reports that Williams has looked fairly good, I suspect Oweh is who Jones was referring to.

It's either that, or Jones meant to say Williams when talking about Garrison. In that case, Garrison is likely the player who has underwhelmed. That would follow with what other folks have said in prior reports.
It's hard to really know what Matt Jones means . He was talking about how important recruiting is and nobody has won a title without at least 2 top guys. Then went on to say 2 top draft picks. There's a huge difference in recruiting top guys and having 2 top draft picks. UConn in 2023 didn't have top recruits.

No way Matt should have singled anyone out. Even in the NIL age. Completely self serving.
I mean...

Did he single anyone out? I think you have to name someone to single them out.
If the name is known because of someone else--it's not a Matt Jones issue.

Hopefully it’s just struggling to pick up the system early and more time will get him going. I’m not worried about his talent or ability to play here though.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Funny, people get outraged when he post something he heard that wasn't good about a player, but if he says something he heard was positive posters eat it up. He was TOLD, not him saying it directly, and he also said he would not mention the players name. I think that is actually pretty responsible reporting. Whether some posters like it or not, not ALL info coming out will be positive. It is just the way it works, if it was all positive reviews, then it would be a homer report. Also, some former UK players said some guys could not defend well. I do not see anyone bashing the former players on LaFamilia for posting negative reviews. Jones clearly stated "it was told by me by someone who has attended EVERY practice". Sounds like a coach or team assistant. He was just reporting what he had been told.

IMO, it is Oweh. His shooting %'s last year was on very limited shots. I guess we will find out later on when rotations start taking shape. Also, just because a player is struggling now, doesn't mean he will for the whole year. Guys are trying to get acclimated with a new team, system, coach, a lot to take in with very few practices having been had.

It's hard to really know what Matt Jones means . He was talking about how important recruiting is and nobody has won a title without at least 2 top guys. Then went on to say 2 top draft picks. There's a huge difference in recruiting top guys and having 2 top draft picks. UConn in 2023 didn't have top recruits.
Yeah I heard him say he wondered if we can get top recruits and then he went on to talk about Moreno and Johnson may neither one come here. He said if we can't get either of the top 2 guys from KY that is a concern. He did fail to mention that Pope was able to retain one and land one of the top 2-3 KY kids in this years class in Perry and Noah. IMO landing kids that fit your program is better than taking a kid just because he is from Kentucky. I'm not saying he does or doesn't want Moreno or Johnson because all indications are he does, but not landing either isn't a sign of he can't recruit. Cal didn't get every good KY kid and being a good recruiter is about the only thing he does do well. NIL has changed things and not every KY kids dream is to play at UK like it was 20-30 years ago.

Of the 40 RSCI Top 5 guys since 2015 , Only Duke's Banchero (RSCI #3 in 2021) made a Final 4 .

2018 Duke signed the #1, #2, and #4 RSCI recruits and lost in the elite 8. Nearly lost in the round of 32 and also the Sweet 16.

2022 Duke had the #1, #2, and #4 guys (again) and lost in the Round of 32.

Heck, in 2023, UK signed 3 of the top 6 recruits and did not win a single post-season game.

Recruiting elite high school talent is not nearly as important as it use to be.

If one looks at RSCI top 10 players in that same period (80 players); only 6 different players made a Final 4.

1 top 10 in the 2016 Final 4
1* in 2017 (same player for UNC)
1 in 2018
0 in 2019
2 in 2021
1 in 2022
0 in 2023
1* in 2024

* denotes won a title

Adding 80 more players and expanding it to top-20 only adds 5 true-freshmen: Brunson (No. 19 in c/o 2015, Villanova FF in 2016), Tony Bradley (No. 19 in c/o 2016, UNC FF in 2017), Billy Preston (No. 19 in c/o 2017, Kansas FF in 2018) and AJ Griffin & Trevor Keels (No. 18 and 19 in c/o 2021, Duke FF in 2022).

Griffin and Keels were the only two of these five to average more than 10 PPG during their true-freshman season (10.4 and 11.5, respectively). DEFINITELY puts this recruiting thing into perspective.

Only 8/160 top-20 true-freshmen see a final four.

EDIT: this is the work done by dlh331 and Billyclydesghost. I hope they don’t mind me posting it. I thought it was interesting enough that everyone should see it .

Last edited:
IMO, the 8/160 is a bit misleading, as MOST of the top 5 guys only end up playing for 1 year, which greatly reduces the chances of making a Final 4. Unless they signed with a stout, well balanced, mixed team and was not forced to be THE man on a team. IF those top 5 guys stayed for year 2, even a 3rd year, the numbers would look a lot different. It is proven you can't get to final 4's consistently with a team lead mostly by 3/4 Elite recruits, but they are still needed in todays game, but if they are surrounded by other talented, veteran guys and do not have to shoulder a bulk of the teams scoring. In a perfect world, a very successful team would consist of 2/3 elite recruits, 2/3 veteran portal guys, and guys who developed over 2/3 years. Top 5 recruits DO make a difference and are very important to team success, just not a team made up of MOSTLY elite 1st year guys. I believe with the portal and NIL in todays landscape, you will have to have a well balanced and deep roster that you just cannot get by JUST having veteran portal signings and 3/4 year players. The ELITE top recruits will still be very important, just like the other players are.

A team to watch this year that has the mixture, is Rutgers. On paper, with their balance of young studs and veteran guys, they should be a team to be reckoned with. But the elite guys will have to be able to play defense and do other things on the court other than just scoring. Also, maturity, even for a freshman is important.

Reactions: yoshukai
I mean...

Did he single anyone out? I think you have to name someone to single them out.
If the name is known because of someone else--it's not a Matt Jones issue.
Kinda. He's got this board trying to figure it out. If there are 12 guys and 11 of them are doing well, isn't that a good thing? Only we're not looking at it that way in this thread.

IMO, the 8/160 is a bit misleading, as MOST of the top 5 guys only end up playing for 1 year, which greatly reduces the chances of making a Final 4. Unless they signed with a stout, well balanced, mixed team and was not forced to be THE man on a team. IF those top 5 guys stayed for year 2, even a 3rd year, the numbers would look a lot different. It is proven you can't get to final 4's consistently with a team lead mostly by 3/4 Elite recruits, but they are still needed in todays game, but if they are surrounded by other talented, veteran guys and do not have to shoulder a bulk of the teams scoring. In a perfect world, a very successful team would consist of 2/3 elite recruits, 2/3 veteran portal guys, and guys who developed over 2/3 years. Top 5 recruits DO make a difference and are very important to team success, just not a team made up of MOSTLY elite 1st year guys. I believe with the portal and NIL in todays landscape, you will have to have a well balanced and deep roster that you just cannot get by JUST having veteran portal signings and 3/4 year players. The ELITE top recruits will still be very important, just like the other players are.

A team to watch this year that has the mixture, is Rutgers. On paper, with their balance of young studs and veteran guys, they should be a team to be reckoned with. But the elite guys will have to be able to play defense and do other things on the court other than just scoring. Also, maturity, even for a freshman is important.
Of course they almost always only stay 1 year. That’s part of it. But that is another reason why they aren’t as crucial as some people think . I’m a bottom line type of guy . Bottom line is, 8 out of 160 top 20 ranked freshman have made a final four since 2015 .

fair enough, but what kind of talent surrounded those elite guys ? Yes there are a few teams loaded with elite talent and didn't make it, but there are a lot more that had elite kids and NOTHING to go along with them, 2/3 guys as I state can't carry the burden of the whole team, it is why there needs to be a mixture. A good example is this year, we have NO elite kids, lets watch and see how it unfolds.

Of course they almost always only stay 1 year. That’s part of it. But that is another reason why they aren’t as crucial as some people think . I’m a bottom line type of guy . Bottom line is, 8 out of 160 top 20 ranked freshman have made a final four since 2015 .
That's an insane stat

fair enough, but what kind of talent surrounded those elite guys ? Yes there are a few teams loaded with elite talent and didn't make it, but there are a lot more that had elite kids and NOTHING to go along with them, 2/3 guys as I state can't carry the burden of the whole team, it is why there needs to be a mixture. A good example is this year, we have NO elite kids, lets watch and see how it unfolds.
Yep , we will see . But I’m not saying we shouldn’t recruit elite players, I just don’t really subscribe to the theory that you MUST have them . I agree that a mix of veterans with elite young guys seems like it should give you the best chance.

Last edited:

Oweh was my guess.

He feels a little more like the Cal mold of “high potential athlete, should be a great defender bc athleticism; can the shooting clock or “be an elite slasher””

In the ball movement, off ball screens, motion offense…. That “elite athleticism” doesn’t overwhelm as much offensively unless it’s by crashing boards and playing Defense.

The rest of the pieces seem to fit what we know about how Pope likes to run the offense via off ball screens and motion and ball Movement mixed w high level catch and
Shoot players; instead of primarily on ball screens and dribble penetration.

I came up with a few more than 8.
16- Nova - Jalen Brunson #19 / UNC - Jackson #9, Hicks #14, Pinson #15 / Syracuse - Dejuan Coleman #18
17- UNC - Jackson #9, Hicks #14, Pinson #15, Bradley #19
18- Kansas - Newman #8 / Nova - Spellman #17, Brunson #19
19- Michigan State - Langford #20
21- Gonzaga - Suggs #7 / Houston - Grimes #8
22- Duke - Banchero #2, Griffin #18, Keels #19, Roach #20 / UNC- Love #13 / Nova- Antoine #16
24- UCONN- Castle #9

22. yes I counted a few players twice, but they made multiple Final 4's. Also, I used Sports Reference .com and their RSCI Top 100.

Kinda. He's got this board trying to figure it out. If there are 12 guys and 11 of them are doing well, isn't that a good thing? Only we're not looking at it that way in this thread.
No he didn't, rabid ass fans got their own self trying to figure it out. He clearly stated "I will not name the player and run him under the bus". He was simply passing along info he was told by someone, either coaching staff or training staff. Obviously it is a talking point, a UK coach stated he (who ever it is) has not been what they expected. IF the staff doesn't want this kind of stuff getting out, THEY should not leak it, especially to someone they know is a HUGE UK media member. It is Matt Jones' job to report good and bad news about the team, no all feel good, homer news. Once again, he did not try to put the player on blast and let everyone know who the staff was talking about.
IMO, he was more responsible with the way he reporting what he was told, than who ever told him the tidbit was. The staff member named a name, Jones did not. Be pissed at who ever said it, not the guy passing along info.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT