ADVERTISEMENT

Kofi announcing Friday

Yeah I think I'm ready to fully ignore any "insider" on anything, basketball related. I do still see some reliable stuff from the football side.
This has become a cottage industry. Problem is, you have to pay for their "insight" which they all lay out qualifiers for on every call they make.

Reactions: SmedMoley
Very true.

Illinois was a 1 seed and got sent home early because of this.

Do we honestly think Cal would have done it differently?

Underwood was stubborn in that game, but Cal has a tendency to take stubborn to a whole other level.

It's like their memories have been wiped.

We watched a loaded roster try to force feed the post and get backdoor and PnR'd to death playing two centers and Trey Lyles at the same time but think it's going to work better trying to do the same with worse players?

That's part of why this all sounds fishy in the first place. You've seen Cal let O and Chin already choose who they're going after in recruiting.

It wouldn't make sense to do that and then nix their plan to bring in a guy they've already worked with successfully and could apparently have if they want him.

Maybe the assistants told Cal he wouldn't fit with what we already have. Or maybe this whole thing was bad reporting from the start just because we hired his former assistants and Kentucky was never actually involved.
Maybe both or maybe they got word he wasn't willing to take less minutes. Who knows? Matters not anymore apprently.

Cal's best teams always have a star.
We haven’t played a game yet, how do we know a star won’t emerge?

We thought we had a couple of stars last year (Boston, Clarke) and didn’t.

It is hard to tell in July whether we have a star or not.

I personally look for Washington to emerge in that superstar role.

Cal’s track record with 5-star PG’s is pretty good.

It's like their memories have been wiped.

We watched a loaded roster try to force feed the post and get backdoor and PnR'd to death playing two centers and Trey Lyles at the same time but think it's going to work better trying to do the same with worse players?
What do we do when Oscar is on the bench with fouls have the game?Lance trys hard but he has zero offense.Collins is almost as skinny as Chet.The SEC is a man's game inside.

Reactions: gharding07
Maybe both or maybe they got word he wasn't willing to take less minutes. Who knows? Matters not anymore apprently.

There's just too much conflicting info. We were the instant sure-thing, he was quoted as saying we're a "serious option," we're in his final three, but apparently our coach never talked to him and we didn't recruit him?

Those things can't all be true.

I am good with the roster as is.

This is about as complete a roster as we could realistically hope for given the situation (coming off a 9 win season, having a couple of terrible assistants until the last month or so, restrictions due to COVID, etc.). We have experience, size, talent, shooting, versatility, and depth.

I am excited about this roster. That doesn’t mean I have ordered my 40-0 shirt. That means I am cautiously optimistic about this team. It has the pieces to make a run this season, if everything comes together. I’m not expecting a title, but I think we will be pretty good.
This is where I'm at. This roster should provide a lot of wins, but not sure it's a FF roster as of today.
Now if a couple of guys have breakout years then that could change their trajectory.

None of that has anything to do with not being able to land a guy who isn't transferring.

If you're equating All American and lottery pick values, I think we have a realistic shot of having two lottery picks on this team, one of which we're going to actually get to play and use properly if the roster doesn't change.

As with all transfers, if Kofi were *that* good he wouldn't be about to play college basketball at age 22.
So based on your last statement, what are your thoughts regarding Grady and Mintz being "good?" How's about OT for that matter, or Brooks, or any of our guys who couldn't cut it in the draft? Our potential lottery picks are projects. Is it a good thing to go into the season hoping that you somehow end up with an SGA or a Herro, as opposed to knowing you have a Karl Towns or De'Aaron Fox? I'd prefer the latter. So would Cal. He's winning 37.3 games per season when he has a super stud on the team, and he's winning about tens games less per season when he lacks a legitimate upper echelon lottery pick.

And to your first inference: Kofi put himself in the transfer portal. That's a fact, right? Do you know if our coaches legitimately reached out? What if they didn't? It's being reported that Cal didn't reach out. I'd personally feel more confident going into the season with a legitimate All-American, as opposed to more guessing like last year's squad.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
What do we do when Oscar is on the bench with fouls have the game?Lance trys hard but he has zero offense.Collins is almost as skinny as Chet.The SEC is a man's game inside.

You do what every other team in the country will do, I suppose.

Nobody is 13 deep with 5 stars. If Ware and Collins both suck and Oscar is in foul trouble then I guess we'll just lose that game. We're going to lose a few. I promise.

What happens if Washington sucks and Wheeler gets hurt and Frederick has his leg amputated and Mintz retires?

You can't possibly build a roster that's catastrophe proof. If all your worst case scenario hypotheticals happen, we're in trouble. So is every team on earth.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Define star.
Dating back to 1996, five seasons with a minimum of 35 wins each, all with a top 2 pick on the roster.

Kofi wasn't that, but as a returning 2nd Team All-American, he's a lot closer to that than Oscar or Collins or Ware.

I think the point is to have the most talented team possible. We have a bunch of really food players, and maybe that will be enough, but I'd prefer having a guy who you know you can rely on when it comes to scoring in the half court.

You do what every other team in the country will do, I suppose.

Nobody is 13 deep with 5 stars. If Ware and Collins both suck and Oscar is in foul trouble then I guess we'll just lose that game.
So don't try and improve the team?You don't think Cal should have gone after Kofi?

There's just too much conflicting info. We were the instant sure-thing, he was quoted as saying we're a "serious option," we're in his final three, but apparently our coach never talked to him and we didn't recruit him?

Those things can't all be true.
They could be. Sure thing was coming from so called insiders.

Serious option could have been how he felt if they offered. Lots of players use UK as a bargaining or status chip.

I would say that Cal talked to O and Chin and got their feel about how it would work with Kofi and Big O. If Kofi would take less minutes or be able to play good enough defense.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
We have two 5-stars at the 5. We have a 6’9 260 lbs monster and a 6’10 215 lbs pogo stick.

Most teams look at our roster and say, “man I wish we had two 5-stars at Center.”

It will be alright. It might cost us a game or two when Tshiebwe is in foul trouble, but that’s okay.

Every team has its weaknesses. That’s just part of it.

So based on your last statement, what are your thoughts regarding Grady and Mintz being "good?" How's about OT for that matter, or Brooks, or any of our guys who couldn't cut it in the draft? Our potential lottery picks are projects. Is it a good thing to go into the season hoping that you somehow end up with an SGA or a Herro, as opposed to knowing you have a Karl Towns or De'Aaron Fox? I'd prefer the latter. So would Cal. He's winning 37.3 games per season when he has a super stud on the team, and he's winning about tens games less per season when he lacks a legitimate upper echelon lottery pick.

And to your first inference: Kofi put himself in the transfer portal. That's a fact, right? Do you know if our coaches legitimately reached out? What if they didn't? It's being reported that Cal didn't reach out. I'd personally feel more confident going into the season with a legitimate All-American, as opposed to more guessing like last year's squad.

I don't think either of them are transcendent players either. Doesn't mean they can't be good college players, but the next guy who transfers and carries a team to a title will be the first.

I'd like to see a bit clearer data on those numbers you gave. What's a super stud? I've seen you post it before about Cal having the number one pick or whatever, but this thread is about a guy who is more likely to go undrafted than be a first round pick. So that doesn't apply here.

The point is nobody knows anything. Kofi says we're in his top three. Apparently he's going back to Illinois. You don't have a list if you don't transfer. You don't make the top three if you don't reach out. Unless the whole thing was brand building and leverage to have your demands met from Illinois.

Reactions: Fox2monk
We have two 5-stars at the 5. We have a 6’9 260 lbs monster and a 6’10 215 lbs pogo stick.

Most teams look at our roster and say, “man I wish we had two 5-stars at Center.”

It will be alright. It might cost us a game or two when Tshiebwe is in foul trouble, but that’s okay.

Every team has its weaknesses. That’s just part of it.
We had a 5 star in Boston who was supposed to be great and see how that turned out.I'm counting on nothing from Collins.Kofi was proven.

So don't try and improve the team?You don't think Cal should have gone after Kofi?

How do you land a guy who isn't transferring?

How do you know we didn't go after him? We're in his top 3. It was apparently a lock until yesterday. Trying to build any narrative based on a bunch of conflicting info is silly. You can't even choose what to be mad about.

This might be Cal protecting his players. Psychologically speaking.

Tshiebwe left WVU after they tried to play him and Culver together.

Cal told Tshiebwe we would play 4 out around him.

How does it look to bring a guy in and then recruit over him the same way the coach did at his previous school?

Sometimes it’s not about X’s and O’s, but about Jimmy’s and Joe’s as they say.

Team chemistry is a delicate thing to balance for a coach.

I think Sarr gets bashed unfairly.He actually had pretty good numbers for a bad teamIt hurt not having a point guard but the knock on him is he was always soft.Can't say that about Kofi.

Everybody on last year's team gets bashed unfairly.

The point is nobody is proven with this many new circumstances. It's not even a guarantee Kofi will be any good for Illinois with all the guards they lost and his coaches gone.

Fact is nobody but the staff and Kofi know what’s going on - none of us know if he was seriously considered
Did Antiqua & Chin promise not to poach?
Did Oscar & Brooks get pissed about minutes ?
Has Druen gave a indication he is coming?
Does Cal want to mimick Baylor & play 4 out 1 in?
Does Kofi not want to compete again with a crowded front court
Hopefully we will get the answer but I’m ok with what we got

How does it look to bring a guy in and then recruit over him the same way the coach did at his previous school?

If Cal is that weak maybe he need a new line of work.That's part of his job and he's the highest paid coach.Maybe he is becoming too sensitive about taking a player's heart.

Everybody on last year's team gets bashed unfairly.

The point is nobody is proven with this many new circumstances. It's not even a guarantee Kofi will be any good for Illinois with all the guards they lost and his coaches gone.
Bashed? Some may do that, but there was a lot of fair criticism as well. Askew struggled mightily as did Boston. Brooks was on and off. Sarr was out of postion imo. Jackson had moments. The pieces didn't fit.

Bashed? Some may do that, but there was a lot of fair criticism as well. Askew struggled mightily as did Boston. Brooks was on and off. Sarr was out of postion imo. Jackson had moments. The pieces didn't fit.

Then Sarr wasn't bashed either.

If Cal is that weak maybe he need a new line of work.That's part of his job and he's the highest paid coach.Maybe he is becoming too sensitive about taking a player's heart.
That or he is just trying to manage a roster the best he can.

A team is more than just the sum of its parts.

• Haha
Reactions: Spirit123
I was talking more about that crazy story that Cal didn't even speak to Kofi and wasn't interested in him.

I’m fine rolling with the roster we have now but CAL is on the HOT seat and this season for him is probably his most important. You have to go after a player who on paper is an upgrade over what you have on the roster.

Oscar wasn't happy with his 25 mpg last year or the way he was used. And I'm sure Kofi, who is dying to get to the NBA, is looking for his minutes and usage to increase.

Unfortunately "potential foul trouble" isn't a guarantee for a recruit. It might work some games, but not others. I think Kofi and Oscar sharing the 5 was a tough sell.
I don’t know but Cal better figure it out because there’s a gaping hole at the 5. Oscar may want to play more minutes but I also want a Learjet on 24 hour standby but it ain’t happening lol.

He’s big and physical and over the course of his career has been prone to fouling out. Rumors floating around from sources say podcast that coach did not even talk to Coffee? If so that’s so weird.
It’s so frustrating, I feel like we are always one player away from being a title contender. This team is still good. A top 15 team. Possibly even an elite 8.

With Duran or Kofi they are a final 4 team, that’s the difference.

Reactions: gbl97
My thing is if Oscar gets hurt, or in foul trouble, who do we plug in at the 5? Ware? Collins? A team like miss st will eat us up inside.. not to mention Tenn, fla, aub… Not feeling to good about duren coming…
You are exactly right my friend. That is the problem. Oscar is a damn good player. He’s also prone to fouls. God for bid an injury. If that happens imagine Collins going up against Kofi At Illinois. I’m not sure Collins could hang with him. Could get thrown around like a ragdoll. And if not who else do we have? Frustrating.

Then Sarr wasn't bashed either.
He was criticized. I guess my definition of bashing is calling a player dumb or lazy, or something along those lines. More personal kind of stuff. Saying Askew was not a good PG is not bashing imo.

Sarr was not a good finisher around the basket. At 7ft, that is a problem.

He was criticized. I guess my definition of bashing is calling a player dumb or lazy, or something along those lines. More personal kind of stuff. Saying Askew was not a good PG is not bashing imo.

Sarr was not a good finisher around the basket. At 7ft, that is a problem.

No I totally agree.

I was just initially responding to a guy who said Sarr was bashed. I meant if Sarr was bashed, then everyone was bashed, because he got less criticism than just about every other rotation player.

I think TyTy will be a star. Collins has the potential to be one or at least around what IJ was. Grady averaged 17 points over 4 years and I know some will say it was at Davidson, but he did it against us his Freshman year. We have 12 guys who can really play which we haven't had in a while. I would like one more big because of foul trouble, but I think this group will be strong together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT