ADVERTISEMENT

Kingsbury to interview with the Bears

Rockfly78

Senior
Nov 20, 2014
He’s gonna get the gig IMO. He will be a package deal with Caleb W.

I did catch that coen could be on the bengals radar if the titans snag their OC. Just a couple more weeks….

Reactions: JrandoUK
He’s gonna get the gig IMO. He will be a package deal with Caleb W.

I did catch that coen could be on the bengals radar if the titans snag their OC. Just a couple more weeks….
Heard the same on Cowherd's show today. Kingsbury is/was OC at USC and Williams loves him. Think he's a shoo-in.

Doesn't mean Coen will stay. Other OC jobs are available. To me, it's pretty obvious Coen won't stick more than 1 more year, if that. I guess if UK'S offense is dreadful, NFL might cool on him. But, if not now, I think he finds another NFL job next year .

Heard the same on Cowherd's show today. Kingsbury is/was OC at USC and Williams loves him. Think he's a shoo-in.

Doesn't mean Coen will stay. Other OC jobs are available. To me, it's pretty obvious Coen won't stick more than 1 more year, if that. I guess if UK'S offense is dreadful, NFL might cool on him. But, if not now, I think he finds another NFL job next year .
Trying to recall but too lazy to look it up but thought when Coen returned he signed a 3 year contract at which time I thought he'd head back to the NFL or Stoops would retire and he'd become HC. Anyway, I had a hard time seeing him at UK after Year 3 of said contract.

If I were Stoops, Next year would be Coen’s last year either way. I’d have a new OC lined up.
In a perfect world one of the position coaches (Shorts or Boulware) succeeds in both developing existing players and recruiting new players, thus setting themselves up to become coordinator. Promoting from within creates best transition and minimizes fallout from players and recruits.

Promoting from within only works if that positional coach is thriving in their current position.

Reactions: NavyCat88

Wish he’d go somewhere. No loyalty.

Wish he’d go somewhere. No loyalty.
None of these guys are loyal to Kentucky. It would make us all feel better if they were and sometimes a few are. But folks are loyal to their families first and foremost. Opportunity comes and goes and ultimately these guys do what they think is best for them and theirs. If you’re counting on loyalty to big blue you will always be disappointed

Now, the most loyal sumbitches we have seems to be stoops and cal and they get shit on by the bbn every day. So who are we to demand loyalty to begin with?

I hope coen stays and has success. Then I hope the next guy has success. I really just want my teams to win. The people involved owe me nothing. Just win.

None of these guys are loyal to Kentucky. It would make us all feel better if they were and sometimes a few are. But folks are loyal to their families first and foremost. Opportunity comes and goes and ultimately these guys do what they think is best for them and theirs. If you’re counting on loyalty to big blue you will always be disappointed

Now, the most loyal sumbitches we have seems to be stoops and cal and they get shit on by the bbn every day. So who are we to demand loyalty to begin with?

I hope coen stays and has success. Then I hope the next guy has success. I really just want my teams to win. The people involved owe me nothing. Just win.
Great points. Thank you.

Reactions: Rockfly78

Seems as if Coen might take any pro job to get out of Lexington. We might understand it better if we knew why a year back in Lexington did not suit him. Is it Stoops or did he just use us for a year to get back to the pro's?

Stoops and Cal seem loyal because Mitch gave them those ridiculous contracts. Cal is not loyal to UK, only to the players so he can get them to the league. Neither one of these clowns would leave unless they could make more money which would be hard to do.

Reactions: cathouse
Stoops and Cal seem loyal because Mitch gave them those ridiculous contracts. Cal is not loyal to UK, only to the players so he can get them to the league. Neither one of these clowns would leave unless they could make more money which would be hard to do.
Their long tenures also proves my point. Cal had chances to leave but did what was best for his. Same with stoops. I'd say they are loyal to the program by proxy then. Because even though it has been about money, you cannot deny the fact that they are still here after many years. Regardless of circumstances, they look pretty damn loyal. Some things we just have to take at face value.

Last edited:
There long tenures also proves my point. Cal had chances to leave but did what was best for his. Same with stoops. I'd say they are loyal to the program by proxy then. Because even though it has been about money, you cannot deny the fact that they are still here after many years. Regardless of circumstances, they look pretty damn loyal. Some things we just have to take at face value.
Stoops was obviously willing to leave in November. That he ultimately didn't is not necessarily a loyalty thing. Which doesn't mean he is NOT loyal for trying to leave. It's the nature of the business.

Reactions: Rockfly78
In today’s game you have 2-3 years max with young up and coming coordinators. Especially passing game guys.

The only way you’re keeping a guy like LC is if you make him AHC. Give him complete control of O from recruit to staffing. Essentially telling him he’s next and usurp the current HC and his staff.

Reactions: bballcat4

In the current world of college sports and football in particular a year is an eternity. I'd gladly take him for another year. Just kick the can down the road and roll the dice next season. That is all 75% of college football teams are doing anyway.

In a perfect world one of the position coaches (Shorts or Boulware) succeeds in both developing existing players and recruiting new players, thus setting themselves up to become coordinator. Promoting from within creates best transition and minimizes fallout from players and recruits.

Promoting from within only works if that positional coach is thriving in their current position.
Can’t hand over the keys to any of these position coaches. Just not going to be an option.

Reactions: bballcat4
Mitch is just an idiot.

Reactions: bigbluedon
In the current world of college sports and football in particular a year is an eternity. I'd gladly take him for another year. Just kick the can down the road and roll the dice next season. That is all 75% of college football teams are doing anyway.
But then I'd argue that is not in UK's best interest. Coen hasn't shown yet he's ready to run a full team. He could easily be another Joker Phillips. Does Coen look like he could put a defensive staff around him? Does he come off as a plus recruiter...or could find a Marrow? Does he look like a coach that instill toughness in the trenches?

- Coen has brought Yenser to be Oline...how has the trenches looked in his 2 years?
- Coen has gotten scoring to 30-ish pts a game...which is better than Gran/Scangerello teams.
- But Coen offenses have been alot more turnovers in getting more points.

I fully like Coen and hope to see him at UK for a at least a few more years....but this talk now that he should be promised the UK job based upon 2 years as OC is sort of goofy IMO. THis board tends to see no fault in Coen and it's Stoops meddling when the offense isn't going well....but it's all Coen credit when the offense is going well.

Reactions: phunterd
People who are paid a helluva lot of money to make these decisions hold Coen in high esteem. They're much more qualified than anyone on this site to make those choices. We should be very thankful for that. Coen's play calling the last 2 games of '23 was excellent and hopefully a sign of things to come. What we should be hoping for is that UK can squeeze 2 more years out of Coen, that he continues to grow and hope he catches fire.

But then I'd argue that is not in UK's best interest. Coen hasn't shown yet he's ready to run a full team. He could easily be another Joker Phillips. Does Coen look like he could put a defensive staff around him? Does he come off as a plus recruiter...or could find a Marrow? Does he look like a coach that instill toughness in the trenches?

- Coen has brought Yenser to be Oline...how has the trenches looked in his 2 years?
- Coen has gotten scoring to 30-ish pts a game...which is better than Gran/Scangerello teams.
- But Coen offenses have been alot more turnovers in getting more points.

I fully like Coen and hope to see him at UK for a at least a few more years....but this talk now that he should be promised the UK job based upon 2 years as OC is sort of goofy IMO. THis board tends to see no fault in Coen and it's Stoops meddling when the offense isn't going well....but it's all Coen credit when the offense is going well.
I am saying hope we keep him as OC for next year and see how things shake out after that. Stoops is likely here no more than 2 more years at best. I don't think Coen is HC material (even at our current level.)

I agree with the poster above that White and Sumrall are both better HC material than Coen. I have also come around to believing that we have gotten most(if not all) the mileage we can from Stoops. He has done a good job to get us where we are but I question if he can take the next step.

Last edited:
Reactions: K_TIME
Can’t hand over the keys to any of these position coaches. Just not going to be an option.
I agree 100% that these guys will probably not be ready next year. Young position coaches that rise quickly to coordinator are usually very good at their trade combined with being excellent recruiters.

Our receiver coach inherited a talented group. Let’s see what he does this year and how he can recruit. I’m just saying that promoting from within causes the least amount of chaos.

I agree with you I need to see something special before handing one of them the keys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT