ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Knox seriously considering a return to Kentucky?

They wouldnt, but you said if he came back he would've missed out on 100 mill. I was just pointing out he would've got paid regardless. That good
I don't see keldon Johnson being another world talent. I think he's going to be good, but not a transcendent type player. I think he will be streaky and likely a 2 year player. I maybe wrong, but I think he will be here two years if most of them come back and he doesn't start

Reactions: MWes11
One thing to consider that we don't see a ton of. KK dad has been there, done that. He played in the pros and for a top college. There is a chance he bestows his wisdom on his son having been through something similar. Don't underestimate a father who has played at the highest level of his sport and who might tell his son to enjoy it.

That thing about Cal not letting him come back: in the past Cal has had the replacements lined up. Who coming in us going to play Knox's position?

And spare me the injury nonsense. Name a first round talent that came back to school and ended his career with an injury. Name me any player. Been watching basketball for 64 years and for most of that time guys stayed 4 years. And they didn't get hurt especially to the point of having to give up basketball.

I don't expect him or others to come back but it isn't that far-fetched.

One thing to consider that we don't see a ton of. KK dad has been there, done that. He played in the pros and for a top college. There is a chance he bestows his wisdom on his son having been through something similar. Don't underestimate a father who has played at the highest level of his sport and who might tell his son to enjoy it.
Valid point.

Every situation is different, and you can usually get some general sense of how eager a guy is to get to the NBA before he even comes into college.

I never got the feeling with Knox that he was dead-set on the 1 and done path. Doesn't mean he won't end up doing it, but I'm not surprised that he's seriously considering a 2nd year in college.

Devin Booker is an interesting counter-example, though. His father was also a top level college athlete, and I think that worked in the opposite direction than it might with Knox. Melvin Booker was a really, really good college basketball player, but he never got more than a cup of coffee in the NBA, and had to go overseas for a decade to have a career. Coming from that perspective, I don't think it was any shock at all that Devin Booker went right away when the opportunity was there. His father knew just how tough it is to make it in the NBA, and 3 + years of guaranteed money is better than nothing.

The difference between Knox and Booker might be that Knox's father played in the pros, but couldn't really make a career of it. He went on to other things, and apparently, did just fine.

Last edited:
Tournament is still going, the weather isn't hot yet, everyone is home online in the evening...Wait a couple weeks after the championship game, flowers blooming, everyone out having a BBQ...He will announce then lol....and most will be in a good mood and agree. It is what it is.

Reactions: CatInNC
I don't see keldon Johnson being another world talent. I think he's going to be good, but not a transcendent type player. I think he will be streaky and likely a 2 year player. I maybe wrong, but I think he will be here two years if most of them come back and he doesn't start

Keldon Johnson can not shoot! I have posted this about 10 times and people respond and talk about his shooting percentages. I’m not a recruiting guru, but I have watched him several times in person. His game is attacking and playing it physical with a high motor and he’s great in transition. He’s not a shooter. Hope he improves.

I don't see keldon Johnson being another world talent. I think he's going to be good, but not a transcendent type player. I think he will be streaky and likely a 2 year player. I maybe wrong, but I think he will be here two years if most of them come back and he doesn't start[/QUOTE

That's the funniest thing I have read on here in awhile. He starts no matter who comes back

If Knox slips out of the lottery, it may make the decision to leave more I'm doubt. Knox could benefit by coming back.

Ripping his scholarship up? Really?
You make some good points at times but this is way off base and hyperbole
Huh? He literally said those words.
Yes I know Knox is different than Wall, but so was Wagner at Memphis (who he also said something similar to). All are/were first rounders and Cal advises those players to go.

Edit: he said it in that 30 for 30 piece in regards to Dajuan Wagner. In that case he literally tore up his scholarship papers.:

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankUnderwood
So if you had a winning lottery ticket, would you not cash it for a year, just so you could do the same thing for free that you would be doing for millions of dollars? i know that's a pretty stupid question, but that's what you ppl are expecting someone to do.

I remember a man by the name of Duncan that came back and stayed 4 years at a small acc school.

Kevin Knox's dad also won a National Championship at Florida State as a WR, so he knows the feeling of that. I'm sure that is a goal for Kevin and family.

Happens every year where guys like Bam or whatever talk about coming back and it never happens. Outside of Terrence Jones, I can't remember a first round/lottery pick coming back when they had every right to leave. But every year 1 or 2 flirt with the media about it. No sense getting hopes up. If he does? Awesome. But until he does, I aint buying it.

Reactions: Rush2112 UK
So if you had a winning lottery ticket, would you not cash it for a year, just so you could do the same thing for free that you would be doing for millions of dollars? i know that's a pretty stupid question, but that's what you ppl are expecting someone to do.

But what if you could invest that lottery ticket for one year and get even more millions? Sure Knox will get a first-round draft spot if he goes this year, but if he isn't ready and he struggles for a couple of years in the G league, he'll be drafted over and forgotten about. Knox is soft as charmin and really shut down when a team was physical with him. He didn't rebound or play defense until the NCAA tourney. Another year, where he will be one of the main focused players, where he doesn't have to play against men in the NBA even some great players in the G league could do this kid a lot of good and maybe give him a long NBA career. I think if he leaves this year, you won't hear his name again after the draft unless there is a serious attitude adjustment. He has a better chance to have that happen at UK than the G-league.

Shai is the only one that would really benefit from leaving this year. He stock is high and what he needs to work on to be successful in the NBA, can be done there as well as here. He has the right attitude. Plus, it isn't like life at UK is terrible. It's better than the G-League life. Just ask Derek Willis.

I've been saying / speculating, that Knox (&/or SGA) returning is a possibility; not one I would come close to betting on, but still a possibility.

He would have to give Cal one heck of a good reason why he wanted to come back.
Why is Cal the arbiter of what's right for someone else's kid? The Knox family isn't living in poverty and it's evident that his family isn't pushing him to the NBA. If the kid doesn't feel he is ready and his family supports his decision then that should be the end of the discussion.

There are quite a few people who cash lottery tickets which sends their life into a death spiral.
But to play along...I can cash a lottery ticket, deposit the money in the bank and it doesn't require that I change anything else in my life. Cashing an NBA lottery ticket means you are now committed to a major change in your life. The game you've played all your life is now a job and with that job comes obligations and responsibilities far beyond those you've ever experienced.
If you're happy with your current life then having more money won't necessarily make you more happy or even be as happy because of the pressure and responsibility that comes with that money.

Reactions: CalipariCapo
I think that you have to weigh in a lot of things. Sure, the injury risk might be small and not enough to deter a player from returning. But, the "shelf-life" risk is pretty high. There was an article put out a few years ago explaining why it is almost always better to leave after one year than to return (basing off of projected draft positions vs actual draft positions after coming back for another year). For whatever reason, players have to dominate in the second year in order to boost their draft stock enough to make up for lost time.

Happens every year where guys like Bam or whatever talk about coming back and it never happens. Outside of Terrence Jones, I can't remember a first round/lottery pick coming back when they had every right to leave. But every year 1 or 2 flirt with the media about it. No sense getting hopes up. If he does? Awesome. But until he does, I aint buying it.

WCS would have been a first rounder. Probably lottery.

I think Poythress would have been a first rounder after his first year. Debatable.

Diallo probably would have been a late first rounder last year.

But yeah, T. Jones and WCS were the two main ones, and I would say Kevin Knox will be projected in a similar range.

kELDon is dominating the burger boy practices. He is a player.

I don't think Knox will be back, I think he knows it but just doesn't want to say it or maybe be the first to announce it.

KK and SGA back?

giphy.gif
That gifmakesme laugh every time

Reactions: CatPhight
I think that you have to weigh in a lot of things. Sure, the injury risk might be small and not enough to deter a player from returning. But, the "shelf-life" risk is pretty high. There was an article put out a few years ago explaining why it is almost always better to leave after one year than to return (basing off of projected draft positions vs actual draft positions after coming back for another year). For whatever reason, players have to dominate in the second year in order to boost their draft stock enough to make up for lost time.
But again those metrics are based solely off of financial gain. They can't put a measure on happiness or quality of life.

Why is Cal the arbiter of what's right for someone else's kid? The Knox family isn't living in poverty and it's evident that his family isn't pushing him to the NBA. If the kid doesn't feel he is ready and his family supports his decision then that should be the end of the discussion.

You'll get no arguement from me.

That thing about Cal not letting him come back: in the past Cal has had the replacements lined up. Who coming in us going to play Knox's position?

And spare me the injury nonsense. Name a first round talent that came back to school and ended his career with an injury. Name me any player. Been watching basketball for 64 years and for most of that time guys stayed 4 years. And they didn't get hurt especially to the point of having to give up basketball.

DuJuan Wagner anyone! I know he made it to NBA but just the one year. If he had stayed 4 yrs, he wouldn't have been drafted.

No real examples of guys who came back to college and got injured, mainly because there aren't that many guys who come back to college when they're projected to go in the top half of the 1st round.

However, there are examples of players who saw their career end early entirely or in large part because of injuries. Jay Williams, DeJaun Wagner, Brandon Roy, Greg Oden, and Jonny Flynn would all be examples of that. 4 came out early, 2 as Freshmen, 1 as a Sophomore, and they may have seriously regretted it if they hadn't.

If you've listened in the past, Cal makes the player sell him on why he should come back if he's a high pick.

1. Knox can say he's just not physically mentally ready. He is not very strong and was young for a freshman.

2. He's not ready to contribute on day 1 in the NBA. He may fear getting lost in the shuffle and a big stint in the G-League

3. He thinks one more year will get him into the top 5 of the draft instead of borderline lottery.

4. He has a strong family looking after him. He's not one of the kids without any money and parents who needs to money to change his life. The money is always good, don't get me wrong, but he doesn't have dumb people around him giving him bad advise.

I see Knox like a more gifted Terrence Jones, in that Jones just was not there mentally and needed another year. (On top of the lockout). I think he has a case to come back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT