ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Knox offered $1.4 million by China to play a year then go to NBA.

China has more money than they do sense, these kids are going to be good but like someone said doing it against vets as opposed to high school kids is a little tougher.I guess if money rules your life go for it, I'd rather go to college a year or two and play in the NBA. China's deal looks good but it doesn't always turn out that way.
"China" didn't offer him anything. China is a country. A professional team in China offered him, just as if there wasn't a one and done rule an NBA team would draft and offer him. I don't see the difference. Why go to college for 1 year if you know that is as long as you are going to go, if you have an option to make this kind of money playing the game you intend to play for a living?

Language barrier, smog, security those are all concerns, like I said if money is your number one priority go for it, Thanks for letting me know China is a country.[winking]

No, I wouldn't do it. long run, you're better off playing college ball here and developing against top level talent. No doubt he could go overseas and still be a lottery pick next year, but the thing that's critical is that second contract. Playing overseas sets your game back

Heck, I'm currently considering teaching in China for $25,000/year. Cost of living is cheap, but still...take the money, Kevin!

Don't do that. Dear God you can teach in 'Merica for a lot more than that starting out salary wise. Go to South Korea if you want to go Asian teaching route. Maybe you can report on the 2nd Korean War while you are there!

Don't do that. Dear God you can teach in 'Merica for a lot more than that starting out salary wise. Go to South Korea if you want to go Asian teaching route. Maybe you can report on the 2nd Korean War while you are there!
Taught in South Korea for a year. 12 miles from the DMZ. 24,000 a year. No rent. Airfare covered. Pension given back when I left. Brand new studio apartment. Across the street from a walmart. Two blocks from a McDonalds, a KFC, two dunking donuts and a Krispy Kreme.

Reading Korean is extremely easy since it's all phonetic. Food is really cheap provided you like Korean food.

But you're within missile range of Norrh Korea. Twelve years ago I didn't think twice. Now I would.

Jeremy Tyler decided to quit high school and play overseas before going to the NBA. He's played some Summer League games, but I don't think he's fully developed into his potential or sniffed the Big Show. ("The ceiling is the roof" type player. Lol!)

Besides I thought Knox was seriously considering Missouri.
dunno.gif

I think turning it down is a silly move. Knox is a player ranked somewhere between 10-15 in his class, IMO. He is not going to Kentucky to become Cal's latest OAD. If he chooses UNC, it might take him 3 years to even enter the draft. Missouri? You'd rather trust your future in Cuonzo Martin than a guaranteed amount if money that is enough to never have to work again?

Just a guess, but if I ran the statistics, players ranked 10-15 probably have a 50/50 shot of being drafted in the first round and succeeding enough in the NBA to get to that lucrative second contract.

What if he is a bust? It happens. I just heard Archie Goodwin got back on a roster, but am sure if he could go back and take 1.6m, he'd do it in a heartbeat.

What about Josh Selby? Thomas Bryant? David Padgett? Marcus Stone? Jason Parker? Rashad Sulaiman? Randolph Morris? Chase Jeter? Those are just a few off the top of my mind that probably would've made more from the 1.6m deal from China than any contract they'll sign in the NBA.

Times are changing. Players have got to start taking these overseas deals more serious. Lots of top 15 ranked players never get drafted or make the NBA. 1.6m is enough to last the rest of your life if you spend it right...

Yeah, I've been teaching at the same school for a few years now here in Chicagoland. One of my friends spent time in China and worked at a private school for South Korean expatriates businessmen and their children. He said he saved 80% of his money and was able to travel most of China with his wife. I'm just considering a change of scenery after I finish graduate school.

Reactions: Pluto is a Planet
One of the Duke Insiders just put in a CB pick for Mizzou. I'm beginning to think the kid ends up going to Mizzou just because he can't make up his mind about the others and doesn't want to offend any of the warring family factions that are pushing him to one of the other four.

It's the South Koreans who pay for the particular program in China (their business people at a compound). $25,000 there is like $45,000-50,000 here due to the cheap cost of living. One of my friends saved about $30,000 in two years teaching English. He saw most of China with his wife, too.

Reactions: Pluto is a Planet
Hey, you might be fortunate enough to run into Jorts over there.

I'm convinced jockstrap_mcgee could convince a handful of these guys to try it for the year. He could be the Cal of China!

He's an idiot...Pretty sure it is tax free in China for a deal like that so $1.4 is really like $2.2 in the US.

For one year and $2+ million I would live in China.
And likely all expenses paid - food, housing, medical, clothing. So he just puts that in the bank and waits a year for the lottery cash. Would seem like the smarter move to me. Must be more to the offer than we're hearing about (as in not guaranteed, or favors the club more than the player, etc.).

Hope he is okay with coming off the UK bench next year if he comes because I can't see him starting next year at the 2 or 3. And unless we go small ball, he isn't starting at the 4.

Really wonder what Marvin Bagley could get out of a Chinese team. Probably the most hyped recruit in the last 5 years and he's 6'11 with a super high skill level which means he could impact the title run in their league.
A dominant post season showing, McDonald's Hoop Summit etc could put him in a position to get an offer that would be beyond anything offered in the past.
Would anyone pass on China if the offer got in the 3-5 million range.
A Lebron clone would defiantly get double to triple anything offered to a player of Knox's caliber.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT