ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Durant signs with Warriors

KingOfBBN

All-American
Sep 14, 2013
Wow! Thoughts on that?

I would say next year's champion has already been decided.

How so? I think this is taking touches from someone. With Barnes there it allowed Steph/Klay/Draymond to dominate the ball. Add one more to the mix and there isn't enough shots for them all to get 20-25 shots a game.

Also, and more importantly, the Warriors were not as strong once Bogut went down. Lebron/Kyrie attacked the rim without much contest once he went down and Durant does not help that at all.

Reactions: Lexie's Dad
Don't celebrate too quickly.

- 2011 Miami Heat

The 2011 Heat had not just won a title two years prior nor won 73 games the previous season.

Golden State's starting five will be insane compared to the 2011 Heat who started Mario Chalmeds and Joel Anthony.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
On paper. We will see in time since these super teams have failed more than not.

Warriors led the league in assists. Don't believe not enough shots will be a problem. Size will be though if they lose Bogut and Ezeli.

Reactions: JustinSphere
when they play the obvious four nailed-on starters with iguodala as a pseudo-1 that's the best offensive lineup in the history of the sport. you have to guard every square inch from 28 feet in, which is pretty much impossible, especially with the modern rules

if green shoots the way he did last season (not to mention in game 7), that's four guys you have to run off the line. and curry, durant, and green are all more than capable creators. ball doesn't really stick to any of these guys

and they'll go out of their way to avoid even approaching 73-9 imo. barring injury this is an absolute juggernaut when the playoffs start

Durant, Curry and Thompson are all volume shooters. What happens when they are putting up 15 shots a game vs 20-25? Will that lower their percentage overall making each less effective? It certainly could. Even though the 3 of them are the kind of shooters you want shooting every time they are open regardless it doesn't mean it will work out like it seems it will on paper.

Scoring wasn't their problem last year folks so it isn't like you're just going to add KD's 27 ppg on top of their 112 ppg.

Durant, Curry and Thompson are all volume shooters. What happens when they are putting up 15 shots a game vs 20-25? Will that lower their percentage overall making each less effective? It certainly could. Even though the 3 of them are the kind of shooters you want shooting every time they are open regardless it doesn't mean it will work out like it seems it will on paper.

Scoring wasn't their problem last year folks so it isn't like you're just going to add KD's 27 ppg on top of their 112 ppg.

Guys putting up less shots works fine on Team USA when they have a bunch of shooter like these guys...just saying. These guys are gonna get tons of great looks for their 15 shots per game.

There is no sure thing in sports, but I'v never seen a better setup on paper than this bunch. Center is a concern though.

Everyone thought this would lead to a title...

87046a1_lg.jpeg

And this...

2003-04-lakers-kobe-shaq-phil-payton-malone-oral-history.jpg

And this too

lakersstarters_crop_north.jpg

It took a year for Wade, James, & Bosh to win one.

That Warriors lineup does look good on paper though.

Big difference bringing in aging stars like GP, Malone, Barkley, and Pippen to bringing in a guy in his prime like Durant. Most of those guys above were just trying to grab a title on their way out, Durant is probably a top 3 player in the league and on any given night can be the best.

Everyone thought this would lead to a title...

87046a1_lg.jpeg

And this...

2003-04-lakers-kobe-shaq-phil-payton-malone-oral-history.jpg

And this too

lakersstarters_crop_north.jpg

It took a year for Wade, James, & Bosh to win one.

That Warriors lineup does look good on paper though.

Most of those were players past their prime. Malone and Payton were old. Pippen, Barkley and Olijawon were past their window as well.

The Warriors are young. Four of their best five players aren't even 30.

True Malone & Payton were old... Shaq & Kobe were not.

Nash was old, Howard was not.

The Rockets... Yeah they were all old. lol

Not sure about this one. They aren't going to score more points, it's just not possible, even though I admit it makes them harder to defend. That's said they will be worse on defense. The Cavs should be able to beat this team.

Durant, Curry and Thompson are all volume shooters. What happens when they are putting up 15 shots a game vs 20-25? Will that lower their percentage overall making each less effective?

they're all likely to be more efficient at a lower volume

barnes shot 38% from 3 feasting on open looks created by curry, green, and their spacing. now you're replacing him with durant, a career 38% shooter playing iso ball with westbrook

barkley was a terrible defender and teammate. payton and malone were decrepit. the warriors are adding an elite player in his prime who fits perfectly with what they already do

Reactions: BlueRunner11
Think about all those wide open 3's Barnes bricked in the last 3 games of the finals. Durant will be nailing those or Klay, or Curry. It will be impossible to double team them next year.

Warriors vs. Cavs round 3! Cant wait

It was impossible to double team them this year. Let's not pretend like they are going to be all world defense.

It will be fun to watch.

Seems more like an overlapping of talent rather than addressing a key need. If the only thing you accomplish is somebody else scoring a similar percentage by taking shots away from another player who scored similarly then what have you really addressed?

Now you add a tremendous rebounder/interior defender to an already high scoring team and that is addressing a weakness. Adding more scoring pop to a team that already scores the ball tremendously is like buying a green corvette to go with your yellow one.

Seems more like an overlapping of talent rather than addressing a key need. If the only thing you accomplish is somebody else scoring a similar percentage by taking shots away from another player who scored similarly then what have you really addressed?

Now you add a tremendous rebounder/interior defender to an already high scoring team and that is addressing a weakness. Adding more scoring pop to a team that already scores the ball tremendously is like buying a green corvette to go with your yellow one.

They just traded in the corvette for a Bugatti.

They just traded in the corvette for a Bugatti.

Yup. It is basically the same stupid argument Louisville fans brought out with John Wall. "Wudya rather have one year with John Wall or four years with Peyton Siva?"

I'll take one or two years with Kevin Durant as my small forward over four years of overpaying Harrison Barnes, thank you very much.

They will definitely be appointment viewing that's for sure. Still can't wrap my mind about how it'll all work. I do think they'll probably struggle gelling in the beginning of the season.

love whoever it was on twitter who called GS the new Death Star....so deadly & unstoppable at first glance, but horrible interior defense that ultimately lead to its downfall.

thought the NBA owners had a lockout 4 years ago to prevent this players GMing teams & creating their own supergroups and "touching take our league back"?

Reactions: crazyqx83
Seems to me like they have too many small forwards. They will be fun to watch, but ultimately they still need to find an interior presence. Not a lot of balance here. And Draymond will have the ball a lot less than this season.

I think the Thunder and Celtics were a better fit for Durant...from a balance perspective. Celtics would've been something with Horford and Durant. Horford to the Thunder would've been great too.

Durant is at least as good a defender as Barnes, if not better. Offensively, he's light-years ahead. Not sure why anyone thinks adding Durant hurts their defense. Plus, he's at least a couple of inches taller and a better rebounder. Not a rim-protector, I grant you, but still at least a slight upgrade on the defensive side of the ball. If they find someone or a couple of someones to just play interior D and grab some boards, GS will be a juggernaut (again).

WTF was Mark Cuban thinking when he offered Harrison Barnes $23.5 million per year. That is more than Anthony Davis, Blake Griffen, LaMarcus Aldridge, Paul George and Kawhi Leonard will make next year. Barnes had his "best" year in 2015-16 but still averaged less than 12 points a game and has no where near the talent of those others.

http://espn.go.com/nba/salaries

Last edited:
WTF was Mark Cuban thinking when he offered Harrison Barnes $23.5 million per year. That is more than Anthony Davis, Blake Griffen, LaMarcus Aldridge, Paul George and Kawhi Leonard will make next year. Barnes had his "best" year in 2015-16 but still averaged less than 12 points a game and has no where near the talent of those others.

http://espn.go.com/nba/salaries

The old salaries are meaningless.

I'm sure that the players don't see it that way. Anthony Davis', Kawhi Leonard's and LaMarcus Aldridge's contracts are only one year old. The bottom line is that Harrison Barnes is not a Max contract type of player. Cuban made a stupid deal.

I'm sure that the players don't see it that way. Anthony Davis' and LaMarcus Aldridge's contracts are only one year old. The bottom line is that Harrison Barnes is not a Max contract type of player. Cuban made a stupid deal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT